Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEED WRITING  (Read 21940 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re:SPEED WRITING
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2005, 05:20:08 PM »

Considering the original "Titanic" DVD release had NO extra's whatsoever, at least something will be welcome.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:20:35 PM by Matthew »

MBarnum

« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2005, 05:31:45 PM »

No Titanic here (of course I didn't order it, either), but I can watch my "15 Pulse Pounding Episodes" of the 1942 serial THE MONSTER AND THE APE.

MBarnum

« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2005, 05:32:58 PM »

I am awaiting 2 dvds from Amazon.com that I ordered 3 weeks ago. They haven't shipped yet, despite the fact they both say "will ship within 24 hours." I suppose I ought to write them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2005, 06:22:39 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from dinner with Steve and one his new neighbors/friends, Paul.  Steve originally wanted to walk across the Manchester Bridge into Shockoe Slip to go to Peking for dinner, but both Paul and I nixed that idea - just too cold.  -I don't mind the cold, but that's a pretty "healthy" walk, and we've been getting sprinkles still...  And with the traffic whizzing by... And Paul does not like the cold at all - as we found out tonight, so...  We ended up at the Peking in the "near West End".

Note to self:  No scallion pancakes next time.  However, the rest of the meal was great.  Steve had his usual Shrimp Hunan, Paul had the Pineapple Chicken.  I decided to change it up a little bit, and order something not spicy, and gave their Chicken and Walnuts a try.  That was sooooo good.  It actually was a little spicy, but the walnuts that came with the dish were their "Honeyed Walnuts".  Just the right amount of sweetness.  Very addictive.  I almost ordered a side of them to go - they're on their appetizer list.

After dinner, we headed over to Starbucks for some coffe...  Well, we walked into Starbucks and then walked out...  We decided to head down to Shockoe Slip to Cafe Gutenberg, a really cool coffee, light meal and dessert shop.  -And, yes, there are lots of books there too.

Since we were there for dessert... Paul ordered their Turtle Torte - a flourless chocolate deal with pecans and caramel.  I ordered their "Bonoffi" pie - a graham cracker crust topped with dulce de leche, freshly sliced bananas, whipped cream and a chocolate drizzle.  Steve ordered an extra fork.  ;)  Everything was very good.

*Cafe Gutenberg was one of the many places in Shockoe Slip that had to rebuild after the floods last summer.  And like a lot of the businesses in the slip, there is a marker on the inside walls indicating how far up the water went.  Nice to know that that area is recovering from last summers devastating floods.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2005, 06:26:54 PM »

No, but it was the reason that they went out to the site in the present.  So, if she just gives it to them, then they know she was playing a game with them so she could tell her story. Now she's told her story, she seems to like the treasure hunter and he likes her granddaughter, so now they can find it in the wreckage and will never be the wiser to her little game.  I like that, she's smarter than all of them.

Sorry I don’t buy it.  And it is her necklace.  If by some chance they find it after it’s tossed, her granddaughter doesn’t get to keep it.  However if she gives it to her granddaughter then it is her granddaughter’s to do with as she pleases.  

FEEL GOOD VIBES!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2005, 06:35:39 PM »

OH!

And I knew there had to be "something" that was keeping me here in Richmond another night...

I picked up a copy of the new Style Magazine while we were out.  It's Richmond's free weekly - kinds of artsy slant.  Actually, Steve noticed a bundle of them sitting on sidewalk - it's tomorrow's issue.  I turned to the restaurant reviews like I always do, but while looking over the table of contents, I noticed a bit of news that had me "Oooh"ing out loud.

It turns out Stella's - my favorite restaurant in Richmond for many reasons - will be closing within the month.  It turns out Stella herself is finally retiring at the age of 63 after years and years in the business.  Stella was one of my many "second mothers" I had here in Richmond while I was in school.  -Stella's was also the original home of my favorite waitress, Edwina.  I consumed many a meal there.  Even bussed tables and washed dishes from time to time.   And gave the waitresses back rubs between shifts.  So...

After packing up some things in my storage unit tomorrow morning, I will head over there for a goodbye lunch.  And most likely a few hugs and tears.

...This is the last part of "my Richmond"...  I guess I am a New Yorker now after all.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2005, 06:40:43 PM »

...This is the last part of "my Richmond"...  I guess I am a New Yorker now after all.

That's right, buster!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2005, 06:42:10 PM »

All this recent talk of The Woman in White, ALW and now the "Titanic" DVD release, has reminded of a joke...

You're in a room with Genghis Khan, Ivan the Terrible and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

You have a gun.

You only have two bullets.

Question: What do you do?

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Answer:  Shoot Andrew Lloyd Webber twice.

Remember the Rule![/b]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »

That's right, buster!

What's it to ya?!?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2005, 06:48:48 PM »

Jose, I guess with Edwina gone Stella decided retire.  I’m sorry but at least you have a chance to say goodbye, exchange addresses & keep in touch.  

I wish I had had the opportunity to say goodbye to Andy, the owner of my favorite Mexican restaurant Rebozo’s.  Andy watched me grow up, gave me extra’s and even let me work/play behind the counter.  He would set the jukebox to “Green Eyes” (I don’t know the official name) when I was there.  He was such a sweet dear man.  If only I had known to ask for a few of the recipes.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2005, 06:50:15 PM »

You're in a room with Genghis Khan, Ivan the Terrible and Andrew Lloyd Webber....

ROTFLMAO!! ;D

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 06:51:31 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2005, 06:53:38 PM »

Jose, I guess with Edwina gone Stella decided retire.  I’m sorry but at least you have a chance to say goodbye, exchange addresses & keep in touch.  

I wish I had had the opportunity to say goodbye to Andy, the owner of my favorite Mexican restaurant Rebozo’s.  Andy watched me grow up, gave me extra’s and even let me work/play behind the counter.  He would set the jukebox to “Green Eyes” (I don’t know the official name) when I was there.  He was such a sweet dear man.  If only I had known to ask for a few of the recipes.

...I'm actually wondering if she'll finally share the recipe for her famous bread and her apple-walnut-cinnamon streusel loaf with me...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2005, 06:57:29 PM »

Sorry I don’t buy it.  And it is her necklace.  If by some chance they find it after it’s tossed, her granddaughter doesn’t get to keep it.  However if she gives it to her granddaughter then it is her granddaughter’s to do with as she pleases.  

FEEL GOOD VIBES!

My take on that necklace is that it is NOT hers.  It was intended to be a wedding gift.  She feigned death to avoid marrying.  The necklace just happened to be in the pocket of her fiancee's jacket.  But unlike an engagement ring, I don't think of that necklace as belonging to anyone since her fiancee's family collected insurance on it.

I think she did the right thing.

(But don't hate me for it -- :D)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »

What kind of bread?

George

« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2005, 07:04:55 PM »

My take on that necklace is that it is NOT hers.  It was intended to be a wedding gift.  She feigned death to avoid marrying.  The necklace just happened to be in the pocket of her fiancee's jacket.  But unlike an engagement ring, I don't think of that necklace as belonging to anyone since her fiancee's family collected insurance on it.

I think she did the right thing.

(But don't hate me for it -- :D)

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.  Besides, even if she out-right stole it, the statute of limitations is only...what, three years?  She had it all that time and could have legally sold it or done anything that she wanted with it.  Just my 2¢. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2005, 07:06:30 PM »

Ron I thought her finance knew there was a chance she was alive and had the necklace.  It has been awhile so I won’t dispute your fact.  

Don’t hate me…..   ;D  I still think it was a big shame to throw the necklace into the water where it might never be seen again.  

George

« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2005, 07:16:20 PM »

I remember when the movie came out and there were ads in all the magazines for reproductions of the necklace (for only $29.95!).  My niece just HAD to have one (still does, too).  Anyway, I was in a local review called "Magic of Broadway" and they did songs that won the Academy Award­© for Best Song.  My friend Claudia sang it and borrowed the necklace for the performances.  It was funny that so many people after the show wanted to see the necklace up close!  (It was returned to my niece in perfect condition...I made sure of that. :D)

Jane

« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2005, 07:20:14 PM »

Tomorrow is big day for us.  The floor guy is returning to sand the hardwood floors.  Since the new kitchen floor is an extension of an existing floor several rooms need to be sanded and stained.  This will be the most difficult portion of the kitchen remodel, for us anyway.

Off to watch MEDIUM with Keith.

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2005, 07:22:39 PM »

Good floor sanding vibes to DR Jane and DH Keith

George

« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2005, 07:26:48 PM »

I just read on Playbill.com that Hugh Jackman is going to star in a tour of The Boy From Oz in Australia!  HERE is the article.  Tomovoz, is this something you'd be interested in?  They have a quote from Hugh:

"I am so excited and honoured to be returning to the Australian stage in The Boy From Oz," said Jackman in a release. "The Boy From Oz is a celebration of not only a great Australian, but of what it means to be Australian, and I look forward to celebrating Peter Allen's life in a thrilling tour with a great Australian cast. After a year with the show on Broadway I can't wait to sing 'I Still Call Australia Home' IN Australia'."

They also have a website for this tour:  www.theboyfromoz.com.au

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »

What kind of bread?

It's her "table bread".  I'd say it's an egg bread - kind of like a more structured challah but with butter in it.  I dunno.  It's just sooo good.  I used to buy loaves from her all the time.   Sometimes, if I was luckly, I would get a loaf fresh out of the oven... That aroma, that taste!  No butter needed.  But butter made it even better!  ;)  I would walk around the halls at school, and just let people tear off a chunk - share the goodness.  However, it's also very good once it cools down, and it's a good sandwich bread too.   Great toast too!   And perfect for grilled cheese - it manages to crisp up on the outside just enough while staying soft on in the "inside".   I think I tried it once for French Toast, but it was a bit on the savory side.

As fas as I know, only three - possibly four - people have the recipe: Stella, Katrina (her daughter), Virginia (one of her former cooks), and her current head chef.  -Oh, and I know that one of her former cooks "stole" the recipe a few years ago - that was not a pretty scene.  I've asked for it before, but I've always received a very polite but firm, "No."

However, a part of me would not mind it still being a secret, a mystery... a very fond memory.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:48:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2005, 07:40:41 PM »

...But I do think she'll share the recipe for her apple-walnut-cinnamon streusel loaf.   That's her traditional holiday bread... and gift to her regulars.  I swear a single loaf weighs at least two and a half pounds, if not three - it's just jam-packed with goodness!  And that streusel layer is at least a 1/2-inch thick!

We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2005, 07:45:13 PM »

...And if had I not seen the article in Style, and come back a few weeks later for a visit to discover that Stella's was gone... Well... I don't want to think about that...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2005, 07:45:22 PM »

I never thought of that before.  It's quite true that she never told them she had the necklace, even though in the telling of the story, we see that she has it after being rescued.

Yeah, and it's sort of implied that young Rose will use the necklace in order to make due by herself in the world.  As it turned out, she was able to have this incredibly wonderful life on her own without cashing in on the necklace.  I think the main reason she agreed to come back to the Titanic was for the purpose of tossing the necklace into the sea, where it should have been all along.

And now I feel compelled to sing:

Near!
Far!
Wherever you are!
I believe that the heart does go on!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

macchus

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2005, 07:45:55 PM »

bk-  I believe I've cracked the code.  If you can read this, I have.

macchus999

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2005, 07:52:35 PM »

DR Jose, I am glad you are going to get to see Stella and Stella's one more time...that was a nice story!

And you gave backrubs to the waitresses!....Well, I imagine there must have been a waiter or two who got rubbed by you as well  ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2005, 07:53:13 PM »

Welcome to brand spanking new DR macchus!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2005, 07:53:59 PM »

Welcome Macchus, and congrats!

Were you on the old HHW board? Your name sounds very familiar!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2005, 07:57:56 PM »

Macchus has been trying to post for eons, but his password was forgotten and then time went by.  He is indeed a poster from the old board and a frequent Unseemly Trivia Contest winner.

macchus

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2005, 08:01:37 PM »

Yes, I've been around, winning trivia contests, but so retarded in other ways that it has taken me this long to figure out how to log in with my password.  I'm still not sure if I have it right.  We'll know soon enough.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up