Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEED WRITING  (Read 21346 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPEED WRITING
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:22:53 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've sped through the notes, the notes have sped through you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they were just pulled over for speeding and the cowcops are citing them for a mooving violation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 12:12:26 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SPEED WRITING
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:23:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROSAIC!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:31:48 AM »

Prosaic:  Didn't that replace lithium?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:35:53 AM »

I did four years of French at High School. It was useful in France last year!  I did not and do not speak it with any fluency at all. Simple structure in the present tense is about all I can manage.
Most Schools here now teach Japanese or Indonesian as the second language.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:36:10 AM »

Good news - my meeting is not a breakfast meeting - it would seem to be at three o'clock or thereabouts.  Whew!  I shall try to sleep in tomorrow, and let me tell you, I deserve it.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 12:36:48 AM »

Still working on this paper. I'm a little more than halfway through, for those who are keeping track of these things.

As for the topic of the day, I am quite fluent in B.S. Other than that, I can sorta fake my way through Spanish. I had to take two years of Spanish in high school, and then I told my teacher Senora Ginsburg that I would take a year of it in college. When I took the placement test, it was after an entire summer of forgetting everything I'd learned (which wasn't much), so I didn't understand anything that was on the test. I was supposed to read an article and then answer multiple choice questions, all in Spanish, and then move on to the next article. I read maybe half of the first article and about the first two questions. I didn't know what any of it meant, so I just filled in random multiple choice answers. On a total fluke, I got an almost perfect score and got put in one of the highest Spanish classes they had. That class was even more confusing than the test. I survived by nodding my head every once in a while and saying, "Si" when everyone else said it.

Here's a conversation I had with my Spanish teacher that year:
She asked me a question in Spanish.
I said, "Si."
She said, "Really? You have life insurance?"
I said, "I thought you were asking me if I like ice cream."

I have no idea how I passed that class.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 12:39:12 AM »

I speak no language but the King's (Queen's) English.  I think the entire world should speak English.  It is a beautiful language.  In High School, I had three years of French.  I can speak it not at all.  I can read it ever so slightly.  Had four semesters of German in College.  Same with French, can't speak it, can read it a little.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 12:43:48 AM »

Celebrity sighting at Kevin's show - the lovely Bruce Vilanch in attendance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 12:44:41 AM »

I speak only English, although I know a handful of French and Eyetalian words.  I would like to learn Japanese, and dear reader Hisaka taught me how to say something like "Don't snore."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 12:45:47 AM »

I took one semester of Spanish in high school - I do really good accents, but I have no memory of any Spanish words except Me llamo, and hombre, and mi casa es su casa, and que hora es.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 12:58:59 AM »

I'm still winding down.  Even though I'm exhausted, I'm not ready for bed yet.  In fact, I'm doing the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance).

Sad that Pogue could not join us at the show - he would have very much enjoyed Miss Tammy Minoff's nurse's outfit, oh, yes, he would very much have enjoyed what little of it there was.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 01:48:31 AM »

DR Danise, thank you for searching the word PEPLUM.
And glad to know you’re safe from the hurricane.  Still Safety vibes to all who lives in where Wilma goes.

DRs Jrand and Elmore, thank you for the descriptions and photos of PEPLUM.
I’ve never heard that gladiator movies are called Peplum film. I understand very well, thank you!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 01:52:18 AM »

I’ve learned Italian the last five years intermittently. The pronunciation is very similar to the one of my own language, Japanese, so it’s quite easy for me to pronounce it, unlike English which has obviously different sounds like “th” and “r” and “v”, which have been always troubling me.  We all, Japanese, learn English in High School for no less than six years as the second language, BUT nobody can speak it well after the looong work, like me… It’s a problem.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 01:55:23 AM »

I speak only English, although I know a handful of French and Eyetalian words.  I would like to learn Japanese, and dear reader Hisaka taught me how to say something like "Don't snore."

Glad to know you remember that I taught you some Japanese, dear BK, and now would like to know if you still remember them…. :-*

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 02:51:39 AM »

Less than two pages to go.

Just thought I'd share.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 04:19:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  Well, the rains have landed, and I expect nothing but soggy mail today.  Today  I have to finish edits on two Arlen scores for this fershluggenah Chicago concert next week, and I am not looking forward to going outside.  Beyond that I have nothing to report.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 04:27:25 AM »

Sounds as if the show was a blockbuster!  Congratulations....doing in one day what it took The Dinah Shore Chevy Show seven days to do!

I took three years of High School Spanish....can speak un poco and understand un poco tambien.

I also do some sign language....however it is SIGNED ENGLISH which is not considered politically correct by the rabid DEAF community who have come up with its own confusing system called AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE with a syntax calculated to keep its users in the Deaf Ghetto and out of the main stream of life.  "Everyone will HAVE to learn to speak it, we are NOT going to speak THEIR language."  This is what was told to the kids at the Deaf School where I worked.  And when they graduated, they fully expected EVERYONE to know how to use ASL.  It ain't gonna happen.

This was also the time when NO VOICE IN THE CLASSROOM was implemented, so that those children and teachers with even partial hearing could NOT use the voice to teach or learn.  ASL only.

ANYWAY....I remember Signed English, but I don't want to remember any of my ASL.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 05:49:19 AM »

MEDIUM was good again last night.  Although with 15 minutes left, it was nowhere near concluding.  It almost seems to me like they need an extra 15 minutes for each show!  But again it was quite unpredictable and very enjoyable.  Definitely one of my favorite shows!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 06:19:04 AM »

...I think the entire world should speak English.  It is a beautiful language....
Most of the world does speak English.  It has become the primary language used internationally for business, science, and diplomacy.  (Take that, France!  This is our revenge for your foisting margarine upon us.)

At the same time, it's a good thing that English is not the only language out there.  Otherwise, how would we English-speakers be able to steal from everyone else?

For myself, I'm the product of the California laws that required all students to take a foreign language during Jr. High and High School.  I was forced, by law, into taking classes in Spanish and French, sequentially.  It was a waste of my time and injurious to my self-esteem.  This was long before self-esteem was protected by law in the California school system, however.  Bleh.

If I had any talent for learning foreign languages, I suppose Spanish would be my first choice.  Even here in Delaware, we get enough Spanish-speaking customers that it would be convenient to converse with them at the store.  Instead, I'm limited to improvising some kind of sign language, which looks silly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 06:20:14 AM »

Celebrity sighting at Kevin's show - the lovely Bruce Vilanch in attendance.
Has the lovely Bruce Vilanch grown his beard back, or is he still playing Edna somewhere?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 06:29:38 AM »

Thirty years ago, on October 25th, 1975, Chuckles the Clown was killed by an elephant while he was dressed in a peanut suit.

Thirty years?  How time flies when we're laughing!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 06:30:58 AM »

On what I hope is a totally unrelated note, today is National Greasy Foods Day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 06:41:56 AM »

On what I hope is a totally unrelated note, today is National Greasy Foods Day.

Oh my...I have been celebrating that all year!  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 06:43:28 AM »

Practice makes perfect, JRand, practice makes perfect.

:-*

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 06:44:00 AM »

Speaking of languages - tomorrow evening I am going to teach a cast of a high school production of GODSPELL to sign "Day by Day."

My friend Vickie is directing it and thinks it will be interesting and different, and something new to for the kids in the cast.

I agree.  Hope it will be fun.  The signs are interesting, and I am using a mix of Signed English and ASL (bleh) that does have some nice religious imagery that SE doesn't....so I guess it will be my own bastard version of the song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 06:44:39 AM »

Then I must be perfect in greasy food and snacks!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 06:45:05 AM »

And with that, I must prepare to go to work.  Laters.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 06:54:03 AM »

I took Spanish in Jr. High School for one semester. Took German in High School for, I think, 2 years. At the same time I studied Japanese on my own during study hall.

Spanish I recall nothing of, German I can say some words, and understand a tiny bit, Japanese I can say the words but can't understand most of them.

But it was fun learning the languages and studying the countries.

I would still love to further learn Japanese and also learn Hindi...although I have picked up a few words here and there just from watching all of those Bollywood movies.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 07:23:01 AM »

I would, once again, like to thank each and every one of you for extending your congratulations and good wishes to me on my acting awards yesterday.  How wonderful it is to have a group of friends (yes, friends) who are so supportive of each other in both good times and bad.  My own sister didn't bother to send me back a pat on the back, but between 20 and 30 of you did offer your good wishes.  What an incredible group of people you are!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 07:35:47 AM »

TOD:

I took five years of Spanish:
Spanish I, Spanish II,in junior high and in high school Spanish I, Spanish II and finally Spanish III

We used the "ALM" system where we brought home records

(records are what preceded cassette tapes, and cd's I add for the benefit of Sandra, Joey)

We had to listen to these and repeat them over and over and over...... everytime someone mentions Spanish to me my mind immediately repeats the following... I'm no better than one of Pavlov's pooches

Antes de la Clase

Hola Pedro.
Hola Maria.
Como Esta?
Estoy bien gracias, y tu?
Bien, gracias.
Quien es ese chico?
Es un amigo mio.
Como se llama?
Se llama Juan, como se lo presento.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people