Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEED WRITING  (Read 21351 times)

FJL

Re:SPEED WRITING
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2005, 07:40:11 AM »

Topic of the day:

With twelve years of Yeshivah, I'm reasonably fluent in Hebrew.   I understand it better than I speak it, because of how complicated the genders and tenses are, but my Yeshivah elementary and high school days were close to thirty years ago.

I took a couple of years of French in high school, and did reasonably well in the classes.  But as I saw in a brief trip to Paris a few years back, I retained almost none of it and couldn't carry on anything remotely resembling a French conversation.

FJL

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2005, 07:41:23 AM »

For page 2:

A "mazel-tov" hora for TCB!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2005, 07:47:43 AM »

Good morning!

Fall has definitely arrived! It was in the low 40s last night and is expected maybe to reach 60 today (it didn't get to 60 yesterday).

But the sky is so blue it almost hurts your eyes, and my favorite time of the year has arrived in all its glory!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2005, 07:52:34 AM »

Thirty years ago, on October 25th, 1975, Chuckles the Clown, working in a parade, was killed by an rogue elephant while he was dressed in a peanut suit.

Thirty years?  How time flies when we're laughing!

It could have been worse.  He could have gone as Billy Banana and been peeled to death!

:D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:53:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2005, 07:54:33 AM »

I took two years of Latin in high school followed by two years of French.

The undergraduate college I attended required students who took two years of a foreign language in high school and who expected to continue with that language in college to take a proficiency test and if one failed it, he would be required to take first year college French FOR NO CREDIT.

I had a lousy second year French teacher in high school (the students honestly knew more than she did), so I decided that I'd switch to Spanish in college, and I took two years of it. The Spanish professor I had for three of those four semesters begged me to major in Spanish. I loved it, and it came easily to me, but I knew I'd be the only Spanish major in my class, and I didn't relish facing the work and classes alone, so I declined.

Now I can read a tiny bit of Spanish, but the only time I ever used anything I had learned was my last year of teaching when I got two Mexican students who spoke very little English in my class. Officially, they were enrolled in my class, but actually when the time for class came, they went to an ESL class, and I would help them with their work in there when they needed it.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2005, 08:00:53 AM »

To answer the question about GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK possibly being a disguised political diatribe:

The film takes place in 1958, long after McCarthy had been shown up and brought down and when Murrow's stand had been venerated. He is delivering a speech to a room full of his peers extolling them to seek the truth and be willing risk all in the searching and reportage of that truth. The bulk of the film flashes back to his McCathy standoff as evidence of his practicing what he preached.

If one wishes to apply that speech to the present-day political climate, it's certainly there for the doing, but I would never call it a diatribe nor would I say that it's anything except the truth spoken by a man whose life seems to have based on seeking the truth and talking about it when it was discovered.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2005, 08:05:16 AM »

Yes, I did record MEDIUM in high definition. I guess if there is transmission problem, I'll have to wait for the rebroadcast. I'll make a note of which episode it was and then watch for it in reruns.

Had I been watching it live, I could have switched over from the HD Time-Warner cable broadcast to the over-the-air HD broadcast from my local station. SOmetimes, the problem is with the cable company's transmission rather than from the network itself. But, as I was watching CSI: MIAMI at the time, that was impossible to know.

I'll have a full report later this afternoon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 08:05:38 AM »

Good morrow, gentle souls.

Languages:

Well, I took three years of high school French, and two more years in college.  I recall reading an "in French" novel by Camus in my sophomore year of college.

Outside of that, well merde about covers it!  Somehwere in the distant past, round about 1974, a dear friend of mine was working the Cannes Film Festival and we had agreed I'd call him at his hotel and possibly arrange for me to take a train to Cannes (I was in Vicenza, Italy, at the time) for a long weekend.

Bottom line was that I could not get time off, so I called to let him know.  He was out, but I left a detailed message that was repeated back to me.  It was all en Français and no one was more surprised than I that all this stuff came rushing forth.  Words just poured out of my mouth...and I didn't get any attitude from the other end, either, for being too provincial or too American.

Today, I recall the alphabet.

My 9 1/2 years in Italy left me with a different language "skill" -- I can hold my own with fisherman and sailors....and I can be very expressive in a heinous traffic situation.  

Jose will be delighted to know that I know my way around Italian menus both in the south and the north and was only once fooled into thinking I was getting beef when it was really rabbit.  Burn me once, but never twice, on food.

The rest is courtesy of TV and movies:

Ach! Due Liebe! (Augustine, dontchaknow!)

Ich bin ein Berliner!

Guten tag!

Guten morgen!

Sayonara!

Aragato!

Domo aragato!

And from my trips to Hawai'i:

Mele Kalikimaka

Hauoli Makahiki Hou  

I grok "de nada" and "gracias" and I can use my Italian to work my way through most Spanish occasions.

But my favorite language of all is the language of LUV!

Sadly, I'm not as conversant as I once was....!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:08:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2005, 08:06:15 AM »

THE DVR did pick up MIDNIGHT LACE off TCM yesterday, so I'll be burning a DVD of that this afternoon, too.

Curses, Universal, for not putting this out on a commercial DVD. And transfer FLOWER DRUM SONG whicle you're at it, OK?

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2005, 08:08:55 AM »

I would LOVE to take a class in sign language. I think it's beautiful to see in practice. I bought a computer disc that taught me the alphabet and some common expresions like please and thank you among others.

But, again, lack of using it has made me forget so much.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2005, 08:10:46 AM »

I thought "Medium" was extremely terrific last night.

It held my attention throughout the hour and it ended beautifully.  I got a HUGE chuckle from Allison's last comment.

And has any actor EVER played the majority of his scenes -- in any TV show -- in just a t-shirt and boxers?

Jake Weber is a first!  And he does it extremely well, as if it were the most natural thing in the world!

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2005, 08:11:41 AM »

Congrats to DR TCB from me too!

I took many years of French (4th,5th, 6th grades almost totally in French).  Same with 7th and 8th.  9th-10th-11th I believe I only had French class in French (although it was quite advanced by that time).

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2005, 08:12:24 AM »

I read a review of the LIFEBOAT DVD this morning which found that the image quality contained some dirt and clutter. (The film has never looked very good on TV broadcasts.)

I know bk reported on his viewing a week or so ago, but I don't remember if he had similar feelings about it. I noticed that Fox did not stick it in their Studio Classics series, most of which have been cleaned up to look gorgeous. Maybe that's why they didn't. They couldn't restore it well enough to take its place among THE GRAPES OF WRATH and THE SONG OF BERNADETTE as far as image quality is concerned.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2005, 08:12:41 AM »

If I were to curse Universal, it would be for issuing "Shenandoah" in a no-frills economy DVD.  I may be mistaken, but I think I've seen it on TV in stereo, but the DVD is a mono mix.

"Shenandoah" is one of that studio's highest grossing films of the 1960s.  It was their biggest hit in 1965 and was a major late-career boost for Jimmy Stewart.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:13:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2005, 08:13:56 AM »

Dear Hisaka, your English is superb! Would that any of us could speak your language half as well!

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2005, 08:15:18 AM »

If I were to curse Universal, it would be for issuing "Shenandoah" in a no-frills economy DVD.  I may be mistaken, but I think I've seen it on TV in stereo, but the DVD is a mono mix.

"Shenandoah" is one of that studio's highest grossing films of the 1960s.  It was their biggest hit in 1965 and was a major late-career boost for Jimmy Stewart.

Did they at least give it an anamorphic widescreen transfer?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2005, 08:16:45 AM »

I read a review of the LIFEBOAT DVD this morning which found that the image quality contained some dirt and clutter. (The film has never looked very good on TV broadcasts.)

I know bk reported on his viewing a week or so ago, but I don't remember if he had similar feelings about it. I noticed that Fox did not stick it in their Studio Classics series, most of which have been cleaned up to look gorgeous. Maybe that's why they didn't. They couldn't restore it well enough to take its place among THE GRAPES OF WRATH and THE SONG OF BERNADETTE as far as image quality is concerned.

I certainly can't second-guess why "Lifeboat" was not issued in the classics series, but then neither was "Laura" and it certainly ranks as a studio classic.

Key Home Video released "Lifeboat" on VHS back in the 1980s and I remember thinking it looked splendid.

Of course, I never have seen it projected on a big-ass screen, so all that matter you mention wouldn't be that obvious to me.

Maybe Fox didn't want to spend the money on restoration at this time.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2005, 08:17:20 AM »

Fox did that for awhile with BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID. TV broadcasts and the VHS tape were in stereo, but that monumental special edition laserdisc package had the film in mono.

Since Fox issues most of its earlier films in both mono and stereo, I suspect the BUTCH CASSIDY DVD now has both tracks (I don't have it), but I know there were howls of protest when that laserdisc came out in mono.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:20:02 AM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »

MEDIUM SPOILER

I thought "Medium" was extremely terrific last night.

It held my attention throughout the hour and it ended beautifully.  

Every episode this season has held my attention throughout.  The shows are really unpredictable this year.  I mean how many of us were sure it was the other psychic giving the info.  That was a really good twist.

I almost wish that the show could be longer so that they could spend longer wrapping up each show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2005, 08:18:29 AM »

Did they at least give it an anamorphic widescreen transfer?

I'm certain it was widescreen, but have no recall of it being anamorphic.  This was issued quite a few years ago -- 1999 or 2000? -- and I wasn't even remotely aware of what "anamorphic" widescreen was.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2005, 08:19:04 AM »

I certainly can't second-guess why "Lifeboat" was not issued in the classics series, but then neither was "Laura" and it certainly ranks as a studio classic.

Key Home Video released "Lifeboat" on VHS back in the 1980s and I remember thinking it looked splendid.

Maybe Fox didn't want to spend the money on restoration at this time.

Yes, but LAURA initiated the new Fox Film Noir line of DVDs, so that's why they didn't put it as a Studio Classic.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2005, 08:20:48 AM »

Yes, but LAURA initiated the new Fox Film Noir line of DVDs, so that's why they didn't put it as a Studio Classic.

I see.  So...what you're saying is that "Lifeboat" was just thrown out there...to sink or swim  float on its own.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:21:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2005, 08:23:05 AM »

I see.  So...what you're saying is that "Lifeboat" was just thrown out there...to sink or swim  float on its own.

Nice pun!  :D

Well, with the name of Aldred Hitchcock to sell it, I suspect they expected it to stay afloat.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2005, 08:24:34 AM »

MEDIUM SPOILEREvery episode this season has held my attention throughout.  The shows are really unpredictable this year.  I mean how many of us were sure it was the other psychic giving the info.  That was a really good twist.

I almost wish that the show could be longer so that they could spend longer wrapping up each show.

It has been my impression this season that Glenn Gordon Caron has deliberately paced each show so that the denouement occurs in the final minute.

It leaves me feeling kind of breathless...definitely wanting more...and very much anticipating "next week's show."

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2005, 08:24:45 AM »

With most of tonight's TV schedule in reruns (prior to sweeps month and facing the World Series), I will watch the one fresh episode of SUPERNATURAL and fill out my evening with DVDs and shows on the DVR.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2005, 08:25:29 AM »

Nice pun!  :D

Well, with the name of Aldred Hitchcock to sell it, I suspect they expected it to stay afloat.

Nice play on Hitch's name, too...."all dread"....

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2005, 08:26:23 AM »

Of course, those of you who watch THE AMAZING RACE and THE BIGGEST LOSER will have new episodes of those reality shows.

I don't watch any reality shows right now, but you have to give them credit, they never have reruns that interrupt the flow of the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »

Nice play on Hitch's name, too...."all dread"....

Oops (Spoo)! A typo, but I'll leave it since we've discussed the mistake here, and these posts wouldn't make much sense if I didn't leave it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2005, 08:28:50 AM »

Of course tonight is THE AMAZING RACE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2005, 08:28:50 AM »

It's funnier that way, too!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up