Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING IN THE TOWEL  (Read 24406 times)

Jason

Re:THROWING IN THE TOWEL
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2005, 11:10:04 AM »

It doesn't say on the back of the set? ???

I was looking at the product description on Amazon.com - I don't have the actual DVD set.  :-\

DR Jed, what is an Oatmeal Scotchie?

Jed

« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2005, 11:21:39 AM »

DR Jed, what is an Oatmeal Scotchie?

Oatmeal cookies loaded with butterscotch chips.  Heaven in cookie form, my friend.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2005, 11:25:42 AM »

An interesting look at "Psycho" from a Geocities site:

http://www.geocities.com/nfb_418/psycho.html

Includes the following:

"Hitchcock made the film under his long-term contract with Paramount Studios.  But Paramount unhappy the film was to be lowbrow and filmed in drab black and white, laid claim to having no studio space available.  Hoping Hitchcock would cancel his plans for Psycho and make a new film fell flat.  Hitchcock decided if Paramount would release the film he would pay for the film to be made at Revue-Universal Studios, where he was currently filming his TV Series.  (The Universal facilities were often used by other studios, in fact, United Artists were filming Inherit The Wind at the time of the Psycho negotiations)."

Film music fans know that Hitchcock, after finishing the film, had serious reservations about its theatrical worthiness and was considering using it as part of his TV series.

Composer Bernard Herrmann told Hitch he wanted to develop some themes for it before Hitch made his final decision.  I believe a Christmas hiatus (or other vacation period) was involved.  When Hitch came back to work, Herrmann had developed his famous "black-and-white score" material and the rest is history.  The film apparently fulfilled Hitchcock's obligation to Paramount Studios.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 11:38:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2005, 11:28:57 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Fairfax!

It was a beautiful day for a drive.  Nice skies, cool temps, and not too much traffic on the roads.  Of course, now it's starting to cloud up here, and I believe some more precip may be in store for us... Ah, well...

The car is unpacked - I was a good boy and went ahead and brought my keyboard back up with me.  Well, my heavy keyboard inside it's just as heavy road case.  UGH!  Thank goodness I have a good sense of balance and balancing - I'm still amazed that I'm able to move the almost 200 pounds of keys and case in and out of my car by myself.  -And, yes, I always lift with my legs.

*Thankfully, I also realized a few years ago that it was much easier to remove the keyboard from the case once I was in the general vicinity of where it needed to be.  So, so much easier that way.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2005, 11:29:27 AM »

DRMBARNUM what I remember most about that British Invisible Man was the telephone receiver hanging on a wire!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2005, 11:30:07 AM »

DR DtM - someone is selling out, but Son of Babalu and Little Lucie don't own I LOVE LUCY - CBS Viacom does.....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2005, 11:32:10 AM »

Alas, my morning in Richmond was a bit bittersweet.  After leaving my storage space, I headed over to Stella's for lunch only to find that they were closed for lunch this week due to the Richmond Restaurant Week promotion - dinner only this week.  I did spy Stella's daughter through the window doing the books, and I knocked and waved to her, made a big hug gesture...  And then headed down to Ukrop's to buy some lunch...  But I had sort of lost my appetite.  I was just walking around the store depressed.  In any case...

I'm gonna call over there in a bit to see exactly when they are closing up shop.  Maybe I can make it back there at the end of next week.  I hope so.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2005, 11:32:16 AM »

Hey, JRand55, I watched a movie the other day that was filmed entirely in Fort Wayne, Indiana! Who knew your state was like a little Hollywood!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2005, 11:34:25 AM »

Well, I'm guessing my appetite has returned... Well, it really hasn't, but it's been a couple of hours since I've had anything to eat, and I guess I should eat...

-Oh!  My aunt from San Diego is coming in tonight for a visit, as well as my brother, Jay...  And his girlfriend... Who he's been seeing for at least a year and a half at this point.  The girlfriend that no one has met yet.  So...  Hmm...

;)

Time to replenish the blood sugar...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2005, 11:35:15 AM »

DR DtM - someone is selling out, but Son of Babalu and Little Lucie don't own I LOVE LUCY - CBS Viacom does.....

Oh.  I had thought that all things Lucy had to be funneled through the iron fist of Lucie Arnaz.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2005, 11:38:29 AM »

TOD:  Tears of a Clown.

I know it's not officially Ask BK day, but we were watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" last night with the kids, and I noticed the Arranging credit for Guaraldi's music was one John Stuart Trotter (or something similar).  Is Terry his son and/or other relative?  This is probably common knowledge amongst hundreds of HHW-ers, but I am ignorant.  :)

Fred Meyer shopper department:  Those of you who frequent Freddy's in the NW may thank me for the "correction" letter that is littering the home electronics department this week.  I noticed their Sunday circular had an obvious error--they had a picture of the 2 disc WOO set for $19.99, but with a little circular blurb that said "Deluxe 3 disc set," so I went to my usual store where they know me quite well and asked them if they would honor that price.  The manager said he would do it for me only, and that he only had one of the 3 disc sets anyway (which he put on hold, since I went in on Monday).  So I got the 3 disc set for $19.99, whilst Freddy's scrambled mightily to get little letters out to all their stores apologizing for the error.  I love when that happens.  ;)

We finished watching the Rupert Everett Sherlock Holmes last night.  I must say what began quite promisingly ended in drivel, at least IOHO (in our humble opinions, in internet lingo).  I was literally calling out the plot "twists" minutes ahead of the actual happenings for the last half-hour of the film.  Too bad, really, because Everett was quite good (much better than the extremely annoying Matt Frewer, not that that's saying much, LOL).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2005, 11:38:55 AM »

Oh dear, i just saw the John Lithgow Campbell select Soups commercial that was being spoken about yesterday.  Oh, dear!

For some reason Annie Miller seemed to be in on the joke, but John doesn't.  Or maybe it's just that he lacks her grace.

JMK

« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2005, 11:39:01 AM »

Oh, and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JED!!!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2005, 11:40:41 AM »

Oh.  I had thought that all things Lucy had to be funneled through the iron fist of Lucie Arnaz.
\

ALMOST everything.  ;D

JMK

« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2005, 11:42:41 AM »

We had the strangest prospective buyers look through the house last night.  Betsy claims it's a goyische thing (sorry, all you goyim out there in the dark), but the male of the couple kept jumping up and down on the floor and pounding the walls as if he were kicking the tires of a used car.  We just started laughing after a while.  Now, with Jews, it's all about the color scheme and decorating--who knows from structural integrity.   ;D

Ben

« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2005, 11:50:39 AM »

I have to see this commercial! I haven't been watching much television. I need to increase my viewing in case they pull the darn thing off the air.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2005, 11:57:30 AM »

There are huge puffy white clouds in the crystal blue sky outside my office window.  It's freakin' beautiful!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2005, 12:06:54 PM »

Things are finally slowing down to the point where I may be able to post once or twice. It's been so busy that I've read the posts but not responded much. All that should change tomorrow morning.

TTFN

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2005, 12:30:06 PM »

We had the strangest prospective buyers look through the house last night.  Betsy claims it's a goyische thing (sorry, all you goyim out there in the dark), but the male of the couple kept jumping up and down on the floor and pounding the walls as if he were kicking the tires of a used car.  We just started laughing after a while.  Now, with Jews, it's all about the color scheme and decorating--who knows from structural integrity.   ;D

They were giving the house the Sylvia Browne test.  :o

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2005, 12:45:50 PM »

You know, I did not realize that The Dovells sang one of my favorite songs, YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN. I just found this out as I am ordering the new Best of The Dovells CD....getting The Orlons' CD also!

Jason

« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2005, 12:46:05 PM »

Oatmeal cookies loaded with butterscotch chips.  Heaven in cookie form, my friend.

Sounds like it! Did I mention my birthday is in November? ;)

Hope you're having a good day!

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2005, 12:46:23 PM »

Remember when the Dovells stayed at the Munster's home?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2005, 12:57:48 PM »

DR JOSE - keep dropping the bread crumbs, the trail goes both ways.  The life you are making for yourself is not separate from the life you've had - it's an extension of it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2005, 01:06:16 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to my Neighbor to the North, DR Jed!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2005, 01:18:14 PM »

The Alfred Hitchcock television show didn't go to an hour formet until Season 6, so the first five seasons were half hour shows.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2005, 01:21:58 PM »

I don't usually use this forum for these sort of things, but I thought this might be of some concern to some of you

Check your driver's license... Now you can see anyone's Driver's. License on the Internet, including your own! I just searched for mine and there it was...picture and all! Thanks Homeland Security! Privacy, where is our right to it? I definitely removed mine, I suggest you all do the same.

Go to the website and check it out. Just enter your Name, City and State to see if yours is on file. After your license comes on the screen, click the box marked "Please Remove". This will remove it from
public viewing, but not from law enforcement.

http://www.license.shorturl.com
<http://www.license.shorturl.com/>  

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2005, 01:27:35 PM »

I spent the entire afternoon with the new THE WIZARD OF OZ set. I watched the film with the commentary (since I had heard the 5.1 surround track on the last DVD issue; I don't think that's been changed but I could be wrong about that).

I prefer Fricke's commentary on the laserdisc set. He talks from beginning to end and includes many more anecdotes and bits of trivia. On the new DVD, he has to pause to allow edited comments from Hamilton, Bolger, LeRoy, Haley, Lahr's children, William Tuttle, etc. which were fine, but I knew what I was missing from the laserdisc.

I watched all of outtakes and then on disc 2, the three documentaries I hadn't seen previously. All well made and with a few interesting facts.

To be honest, I couldn't tell THAT much difference with the visual quality from the last DVD to this new one. True, I haven't synched them up and done a comparison (that will come eventually), and this new one has not a speck of dirt or blemish that I could tell. But I need to spend more time with it to fully appreciate all the obvious effort that has gone into making this the definitive standard definition disc of the movie.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2005, 01:29:57 PM »

Ohh...  That aunt... Not the one from San Diego, but the one from the Philippines.  The one I haven't seen since 1994!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2005, 01:30:40 PM »

This leaves me to watch that documentary on MY FAIR LADY that I recorded last night from Ovation at some point tonight.

And it's not "More Loverly Than Ever" which was on the laserdisc and last DVD edition of MY FAIR LADY. This seems to be new.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2005, 01:33:06 PM »

...and the pain in my knee has returned.  :-\

I've taken some more Advil, and may take some more if the pain does not subside.  It feels like something muscular to me, and I'm just hoping it goes away within the next 24 hours - or less.  My mom wondered if it was arthritis... Hmm...  I don't know what arthitis feels like, so...  But I actually put my finger on the pain - literally - so I think it's just from sleeping on it funny/badly.

...But I did have a great lunch - smoked salmon on a bed of field greens with caramelized onion, dried cranberries and chopped dates.  Very good.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up