Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING IN THE TOWEL  (Read 23208 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THROWING IN THE TOWEL
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2005, 08:23:09 AM »

Oh no!  I just saw a Pacific Care ad about Prescription Coverage for older folks that featured EXTENSIVE footage of Vivian Vance and William Frawley from two episodes of I Love Lucy - voices were overdubbed so that they were talking about the Pacific Insurance program....they used the names Fred and Ethel AND they played part of the LUCY theme song.

OH OH OH!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2005, 08:26:01 AM »

I enjoyed last nights TAR. I thought it was nice to see the oldest Paolo son finally give his mom a hug...since he is usually so mean to her....of course for all I know she may deserve it...she certainly gives it right back to him, that I can see! LOL! But sometimes I just feel sort of sorry for her.

And, is the Weaver family really as bad as the other teams think they are? I can't tell...yet.

And how can you guys not like the Gahagan family? They seem so nice, and that little Gahagan daughter just warms my heart. She is just so cute!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2005, 08:26:10 AM »

Also liked The Supremes perform Funny Girl.

When they came on the Ed Sullivan Show to hawk this LP, I thought to myself then that Diana was BURNING to become a movie star thinking if Barbra could do it, so could she.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2005, 08:26:47 AM »

Page Three Carroll Baker Dance.   :o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2005, 08:33:20 AM »

Motown:  I love all the songs already mentioned, plus many, many more besides.

But above them all, in a class unique unto itself:

Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?" album.

As pertinent and important a musical exploration of its times as anything ever done by anyone.

And it's great music, too.  And you can literally "dance" the entire album!!!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:33:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2005, 08:40:10 AM »

DR Ron, did you get to any of THE WIZARD OF OZ last night?

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2005, 08:41:27 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy, Happy Birthday to DR Jed!!![/move]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2005, 08:44:08 AM »

DR Ron, did you get to any of THE WIZARD OF OZ last night?

I took off the wrapping and explored the contents. Loved the photos and repros of the premiere invitation/ticket, the supplemental books are neat, too, but far too small to read with any degree of comfort (sadly).

The artwork on the DVD is stunningly beautiful, I thought.

But, no.  The DVDs didn't get a spin yet.  These things don't happen readily for me on week nights.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2005, 08:45:48 AM »

...and the happiest of birthdays to DR Jed from me and the girls!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:50:23 AM by Jason »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2005, 08:47:06 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Hap-Hap-HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JED![/move]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:48:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2005, 08:47:45 AM »

Happy birthday DR Jed!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2005, 08:49:12 AM »

It's a rainy, gray, dreary day in Oakland CA.

It's just wonderful!

Jed

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2005, 08:53:33 AM »

Many, many thanks for all the kind birthday wishes.  Where else could you find a greater bunch of folks?

So far, it's a lovely birthday.  Woke up to find a bunch of birthday e-mails from friends hither and yon, and also yon and hither.  Even better than that was the lovely smell of cinnamon that lured me out of bed, only to discover that DG Ann had baked muffins for me!  So far, I rather like being 26. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2005, 08:53:43 AM »

The sun is shining here for the first time in many days!  Not warmly, but shining nonetheless.

Jason

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »

Here's an interesting tidbit....

I just read that "Livin' in Shame" was written as a sequel to "Love Child" and was inspired by the film "Imitation of Life."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:56:14 AM by Jason »

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2005, 08:55:32 AM »

About the documentary on THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (and other DVDs, for that matter), I have no trouble with authors of SUPERMAN-TV books speaking on a subject they've thoroughly researched (and I didn't know about their books. I have a book on the series by someone totally different).

It's just that they aren't SAYING anything that a true fan of the show doesn't already know. Why not go into detail about the wonderful actors the show used multiple times like John Edlredge and Pierre Watkin (who also played Perry White in the two SUPERMAN serials). That's the kind of thing I'D like to know about.

I remember Jack Larson and Noel Neill on some show - perhaps Mike Douglas - talking about their favorite episodes. Of course, Neill wasn't a part of Season 1, and her favorite episode happened to be the last one - where she and Jimmy get super powers. Larson's also came from a later season, the one where he played dual roles of a gangster and Jimmy.

Why not have him talk about his favorite episodes of that first season? Why not have him do some commentaries? Was he asking for too much money?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2005, 08:56:26 AM »

LACUNA, baby, LACUNA.  Or, as Elton John and Tim Rice put it - LACUNA MATATA.

Certainly Universal thought of Mr. Gavin as an a-list actor, and they tried, oh, they tried, to make him one.  That is why he is in all those films, every one of which was from Universal.  Did he actually do any major films for any other studio?

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2005, 08:57:50 AM »

Jed -

You're 26? I hate you!

;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:58:25 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2005, 08:59:26 AM »

LACUNA, baby, LACUNA.  Or, as Elton John and Tim Rice put it - LACUNA MATATA.

Certainly Universal thought of Mr. Gavin as an a-list actor, and they tried, oh, they tried, to make him one.  That is why he is in all those films, every one of which was from Universal.  Did he actually do any major films for any other studio?

PSYCHO was a Paramount picture.

Jason

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2005, 08:59:32 AM »

Now, I may be shot for saying this, but...

I've always felt that if someone were going to do a jukebox musical, why not do one using the songs of Diana Ross & the Supremes. Not a "Diana Ross & The Supremes" musical - we've already got DREAMGIRLS - but a show using those songs. They're wonderfully narrative and could be easily worked into a plot. It'd work better than Beach Boys songs, that's for sure...

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2005, 09:00:09 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jed!

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2005, 09:01:46 AM »

DR Jennifer, I'm sure you realized that all the shows you mentioned about liking yesterday - CLOSE TO HOME, BOSTON LEGAL - had new episodes last night.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »

I am listening to the LP soundtrack to the film THE LOST CONTINENT, downloaded from weirdomusic.com.....fun music!

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2005, 09:02:25 AM »

I like ALIAS right now.  No, it's certainly not as good as it was when I could not wait to see the next episode (or when I couldn't stop talking about the last one).  But I still enjoy it.

It is ludicrous to see a 7 month pregnant Sydney Bristow running around as a spy? Yes. :)  But I'm sort of happy they played it this way.  Even though it's unrealistic, it's more interesting to see her still active.

And I'm really liking the new girl.  She's really sweet and has a certain star quality to her that makes me enjoy watching her.

Jason

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2005, 09:04:38 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen:

DEENA JONES! Err....DIANA ROSS!!

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2005, 09:05:11 AM »

As for last night's AMAZING RACE (spoilers).

I was SO happy to see them leave the US. To me it made a huge difference.  Although the tasks weren't too great (bird watching vs collecting instruments???).  I actually got a bit teary watching the obnoxious mother/son bond. I sort of even like them now.

I think my 2 least favorite teams were racing for last. I loved how the sisters put all their clothes on! And wasn't unhappy with the outcome. I truly HATE IT when a team i cannot stand gets a non-elimination show.  So i was happy that DR Jrand's prediction yesterday did not come true.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2005, 09:05:32 AM »

Well, it's time to start prepping lunch. I still have my fingers crossed that the mail will bring me joy.

WBBL.

Jed

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2005, 09:07:33 AM »

I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2005, 09:07:36 AM »

DR Jennifer, I'm sure you realized that all the shows you mentioned about liking yesterday - CLOSE TO HOME, BOSTON LEGAL - had new episodes last night.

Yes i was pretty sure they were all new.  That is why i was curious which shows were repeats.

But you forgot to metnion the best of the bunch i listed, GILMORE GIRLS. I just love this show (probably my fav on the WB).  Such a heart-wrenching good episode last night.  Not sure if it would appeal at all to men. But I love love this show!

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2005, 09:11:54 AM »

I enjoyed last nights TAR. I thought it was nice to see the oldest Paolo son finally give his mom a hug...since he is usually so mean to her....of course for all I know she may deserve it...she certainly gives it right back to him, that I can see! LOL! But sometimes I just feel sort of sorry for her.

And, is the Weaver family really as bad as the other teams think they are? I can't tell...yet.

And how can you guys not like the Gahagan family? They seem so nice, and that little Gahagan daughter just warms my heart. She is just so cute!

I wrote my comments before reading yours.  I wasn't sure if you had seen the show, so i put spoiler space.

I agree with you totally about the Paolo family.  I was really touched by last night's show.

And I know that everyone hates the Weavers.  And I'm also not sure if they are as bad as others make them out to be.  I think part of it is that they keep to themselves and don't help others.  But it may also be what DR Dan said yesterday (i think it was him). The mother prays, but never for strength. She's always praying that they will win, find the clue ... and that may drive the other teams nuts.

Re: the Gaghan family with the little kids. I just don't like them. They seem smug. And yes it was sweet last night that the father was so supportive of the kids.  There is just something about them that rubs me the wrong way (and i adore kids).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up