Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING IN THE TOWEL  (Read 24397 times)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
Re:THROWING IN THE TOWEL
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2005, 06:01:34 AM »

I LOVE MOTOWN and I love girl groups!!!
They have hundreds of hit songs and I like all of them, for example,

Diana Ross and the Supremes:
Love Child
Baby Love
Someday We’ll Be Together
Stop In The Name Of Love
Etc…

The Ronettes:
Be My Baby

The Shirelles:
Baby It’s You – I didn’t know that this song was composed by Burt Bacharach until recently…
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
Etc…

My Boyfriend’s Back: The Angeles

Then He Kissed Me: The Crystals

The Loco-Motion: Little Eva(?)

And boys…

The Stylistics :
You’re Everything
You’ll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart)- I didn’t know that this song was composed by Burt Bacharach until recently…
Can’t Give You Anything (But My Love)
Only You (And You Alone)- I’m not sure that they are the original…
You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’
Etc…

My Girl: The Temptations

My Guy: Mary Wells

I am sure that I miss out yet more songs and artists …

I watched “Standing in The Shadows of Motown” on CATV a few months ago and, of course, I recorded it on HDD so that I can see it over and over again.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2005, 06:04:48 AM »

TOD:

Way too much to list.  Can I just say just about everything from the PIPPIN OCR or the MAHAGONY soundtrack on back to the 60s stuff?

And also the all-black GUYS & DOLLS revival recording--I'm pretty sure that was on Motown, as well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 06:05:05 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2005, 06:06:40 AM »

DR Hisaka - Wow, you know your Motown!  I grew up there (Detroit) and could not come up with such a complete list.  But your list sure brought back a lot of good memories.

I did see a "new" girl group perform at the Michigan State Fair in the early '60s.  Who were they?  Yep, The Supremes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2005, 06:11:40 AM »

TOD - My favorite compilation of Motown songs is the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies, The Big Chill.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2005, 06:12:09 AM »

~~~~~Happiest of Birthdays~~~ ~~~~~To DR Jed~~~~~

Since you graciously bowed out    ;D     on all those other awards in favor of your dear cyberfather TCB

;D

I think you deserve to receive the Tony Award!!!!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 06:14:17 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2005, 06:15:41 AM »

DR Hisaka has got me dancin' in my chair here, doin' The Locomotion.

Everybody's doin' a brand-new dance, now
(Come on baby, do the Loco-motion)
I know you'll get to like it if you give it a chance now
(Come on baby, do the Loco-motion)
My little baby sister can do it with ease;
It's easier than learning your A-B-C's,
So come on, come on, do the Loco-motion with me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2005, 06:15:53 AM »

DR Hisaka - Wow, you know your Motown!  I grew up there (Detroit) and could not come up with such a complete list.  But your list sure brought back a lot of good memories.

I did see a "new" girl group perform at the Michigan State Fair in the early '60s.  Who were they?  Yep, The Supremes!

You did see The Supremes ?!?!  You never know how I envy you, DR Ginny, 'cause I really, really, really like The Supremes. :D

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2005, 06:22:11 AM »

Thank you, DR Dan (the Man), for the lyrics. I can sing the lovely song correctly. :-*

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2005, 06:24:03 AM »

Alfred Hitchcock question:  Last night I watched TO CATCH A THIEF, and there was the obligatory Hitchcock cameo where he was sitting on a bus next to Cary Grant.  On the other side of Cary was a birdcage with a couple of birdies inside.  The focus on the birds and on Hitchcock seemed decidedly pointed.  Is this some kind of in-joke vis-a-vis THE BIRDS, which was about eight years and several movies away?
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2005, 06:41:50 AM »

Aaah...  A hot shower.

:)

Feeling much, much better.

*And if I did have to give that Eating and Walking Tour today, I would still do it.  Can't let you Hainsies and Kimlets down!  No, Sirree!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2005, 06:42:43 AM »

TOD:

I am never really sure who was Motown and who wasn't.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2005, 06:42:45 AM »

Well, I'm gonna get my stuff packed up here, and head over to my storage unit to dig out some more winter clothes.  And then over to Stella's...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2005, 06:45:22 AM »

Aaah...  A hot shower.

:)

Feeling much, much better.

*And if I did have to give that Eating and Walking Tour today, I would still do it.  Can't let you Hainsies and Kimlets down!  No, Sirree!

Although it is a beautiful day , gorgeous blue sky , fluffy white clouds... my computer assurs me that the local temperature is only 43 degrees F and that's not countng the wind.... we'd have to be a mite more bundled up than we were three weeks ago!! (Or walk a lot faster!)

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2005, 06:45:36 AM »

A happy, happy birthday to DR Jed!!!

(you will have to come up with your own punchline on this card, Jed, as there was not scan of the inside of the card for me to post!)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2005, 07:08:56 AM »

I'm going to have to disagree with you, DR MBarnum, about John Gavin's status as an A-list actor in Hollywood. (Last night, DR MBarnum said he was more of a B+).

The man worked with Stanley Kubrick (SPARTACUS) and Alfred Hitchcock (PSYCHO). He did a long string of pictures for Ross Hunter who only did A-list films (as soap operaish as they might have been): IMITATION OF LIFE, BACK STREET, THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE. He was not a B-list actor, even if his skills as an actor were perhaps not top notch.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2005, 07:24:13 AM »

Good morning!

Another in the long string of bright, beautiful days with cloudless blue skies (an Irving Berlin reference) that are simply breathtaking.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2005, 07:28:39 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was watching IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN.

No, not the ABC network version (which was on last night), but the DVD version that features simply stunning colors.

One irritating note: the USA TODAY TV critic mentioned yesterday that GREAT PUMPKIN was not in the classic category of A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS. Sure, CHRISTMAS won an Emmy and PUMPKIN was simply nominated, but honestly, I think both shows are classics. I don't really understand the point he was making.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2005, 07:30:43 AM »

Thanks for the report on some of the special features of the WIZARD OF OZ set, DR td. I'm hoping that the organization of these discs is better than on the last DVD issue. It was hard to find anything there without prowling through menus that didn't seem to really relate to the things that were contained in them.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2005, 07:35:40 AM »

Motown favorites:

First, I have to thank my brother for introducing me to the music of Motown. I was strictly a Broadway baby as a teen, but hearing these songs coming from his room did make me stop and listen to a few favorites:

"You Can't Hurry Love" has always been my favorite Supremes song. And when the song was used as the conclusion to RUNAWAY BRIDE (different singers), I flipped for it all over again.

"My Guy" was my first boy friend and my song. Still brings back many wonderful memories when I hear the song or even think about it.

"Heat Wave" by Martha and the Vandellas was lots of fun.

And then several by the Temptations, the Four Tops, and Marvin Gaye.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2005, 07:40:37 AM »

Today's mail will decide what goes into my DVD player. If the OZ set comes, then there is no question what I'll be watching.

If it doesn't come, I'll have to pick something, and right now I'm not sure what I want to watch.

I would like to get another Val Lewton watched and cleared off the DVR, and I did record an hour special on MY FAIR LADY off the Ovation Channel last night.

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2005, 07:44:10 AM »

And I'd be there, scratchy throat and all!  Now, I'm off to work to get ready for a visit this evening from a University of Dayton professor and her Youth in Philanthropy group.

Bye for now.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2005, 07:48:38 AM »

Oh, my, some wonderful films coming out on DVD next week:

one of my all-time favorites: TWO FOR THE ROAD

and the 1953 WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Both are wonderful entertainments.

Jason

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2005, 07:48:50 AM »

John Gavin, devastatingly handsome as he was, was no actor, though he may have been in several big movies. I certainly hope he was a better ambassador to Mexico than he was an actor. But BOY! was he a beautiful man...

TOD:

My mom played Motown music throughout my childhood, so, even though I was born a generation too late for it, I kind of grew up on Motown music. Diana Ross and the Supremes were/are her favorites. And Smokey Robinson. And Gladys Knight and the Pips.  And Martha and the Vandellas. And...and...and...

I love Ms. Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High." That was recorded on the Motown label, right? I love "Love Child," "Reflections," "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "I Hear a Symphony," and my favorite of the Supremes' songs, "Livin' in Shame." That song always makes me sad, but I love it. Stevie Wonder and the Jackson 5 were pretty great, too. Maybe I'll have to pull out the Motown CDs when I get home tonight...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 07:50:42 AM by Jason »

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2005, 08:00:33 AM »

Were the Cookies a Motown group? I kind of liked the Cookies.

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2005, 08:07:54 AM »

John Gavin, devastatingly handsome as he was, was no actor, though he may have been in several big movies. I certainly hope he was a better ambassador to Mexico than he was an actor. But BOY! was he a beautiful man...

TOD:

My mom played Motown music throughout my childhood, so, even though I was born a generation too late for it, I kind of grew up on Motown music. Diana Ross and the Supremes were/are her favorites. And Smokey Robinson. And Gladys Knight and the Pips.  And Martha and the Vandellas. And...and...and...

I love Ms. Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High." That was recorded on the Motown label, right? I love "Love Child," "Reflections," "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "I Hear a Symphony," and my favorite of the Supremes' songs, "Livin' in Shame." That song always makes me sad, but I love it. Stevie Wonder and the Jackson 5 were pretty great, too. Maybe I'll have to pull out the Motown CDs when I get home tonight...

I remember the moment when for the first time I suddenly understood what "Love Child" was about!!  :o

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2005, 08:09:07 AM »

Were the Cookies a Motown group? I kind of liked the Cookies.

OOH! Cookies!  Cookies would be nice right around now...oh you were talking about music...never mind

Jason

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2005, 08:11:56 AM »

OOH! Cookies!  Cookies would be nice right around now...oh you were talking about music...never mind

You beat me to it, Vixmom...I was just about to say the same thing...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2005, 08:13:14 AM »

I always liked the "live" albums that the Motown groups recorded in New York and Vegas clubs.  Martha Reeves and the Vandellas had a great live album  and The Supremes at the Copa rocked!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2005, 08:14:48 AM »

I agree about his talent (or lack thereof), but that doesn't determine A or B list status, at least not in my definition of the term. He did A-list films for much of his Hollywood career. For me, that makes him an A-list actor.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2005, 08:16:01 AM »

Also liked The Supremes perform Funny Girl.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up