Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MEET CUTE  (Read 29124 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:MEET CUTE
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 06:23:51 AM »

Oh....well I am sure it is BETTER than this article makes it out to be.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 07:20:56 AM »

Woohoo! Time for a media check:
The dvd in the player at the moment is DISC 3 of THE WIZARD OF OZ' manificent set.  The third disc has the silent versions, the 1933 cartoon and a documentary (short, but sweet, on L. Frank Baum).
DVDS:
TITANIC - watched all of it over the span of two nights. Still technically proficent, still moving and the new transfer is exceptional.
THE WIZARD OF OZ - velvet-like, glorious transfer with many new details; some folks are going to prefer the older transfer - it's quite debatable.  All I can say is don't let the screen caps posted on the net guide your vision, the *motion* picture tells the true tale.
DARLING LILI - as stated before, I prefer the shorter cut.  Now, I discover that my videotape (from AMC) of the director's cut also differs from the dvd. . .running time is about 5 to 10 minutes longer, the tape contains no overture (nor did the film itself) but it contains the exit music - all cause for me to put on my researcher's hat and investigate.
GODS OF OLYMPIA - talky, talky shot on video flick from the state of Washington.  A former Pittsburgher (and fellow Junior High Quiz contestant) appears in it.
K-HOLE - same former Pittsburgher, Michael Haboush, wrote and directed this story of addiction.
coming today from NETFLIX, a thriller from Down Under - THE LONG WEEKEND.

CD PLAYER:
Home on the Range - OS
Joe Nichols III
Bette Midler sings the Peggy Lee Songbook
Those Were the Days - Dolly Parton
Tea for (the) Tillerman - Cat Stevens

VCR:
DARLING LILI
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 07:32:32 AM »

Good morning!

Need I say it? (Gorgeous day, crisp, cool temperatures, a beautiful fall morning).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 07:35:34 AM »

The meet cute that comes first to my mind: George Peppard meets Audrey Hepburn with ear plugs in her ears in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2005, 07:36:27 AM »

This week has absolutely flown by as has this entire month. I can't believe how fast time is passing even when one is not in a show or preparing for one.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 07:37:50 AM »

I agree with you, DR td, about the velvet-like color of the new OZ. That's a great way to put it!

Except for one or two little blips on the transfer, DARLING LILI looks and sounds like it could have been made yesterday.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2005, 07:39:54 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - KISS ME KATE (original soundtrack)

DVD - DARLING LILI completion
          DETECTIVE STORY
          WOLF

DVR - last night's NIGHT STALKER
         THE HEIRESS
         THE LEOPARD MAN

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2005, 07:43:57 AM »

Well, I don't watch either APPRENTICE, but with all the talk last night about surprises, I did have to go read the summary of last night's show to see what was so shocking.

Oh, well.

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2005, 08:05:44 AM »

Friday greetings!  Here I am, first day of my 4-day weekend, trying my best to keep a headcold from becoming bronchitis or pneumonia.

TOD:

DVD - Standing in the Shadows of Motown, suggested earlier this week by DR Hisaka and found in my library's AV collection.

CD(car) - Audiobook, Rococo, by Adiranna Trigiani.  Great New Jersey accents by narrator Stephen Hoye.

VCR - nothing
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2005, 08:09:05 AM »

Off to get cleaned up and run some errands.

WBBL

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2005, 08:20:28 AM »

TOD:  We're on the 3rd WOO disc, too.  I hate to say it, but I think I preferred the previous WB release in terms of saturation.  Maybe this restoration is "truer" to the original, but I just loved how the colors popped off the screen on that previous release.  This one seems just a little more muted.

Meet cute:  the best part of that Flowing Gold meet that JR mentioned is right after the meet, when Frances drives John off in her car.  Now the esteemed Elia Kazan mentions in his autobiography that "as an actress, Frances was just a beginner," but I ask you--how many actresses, with their back to the camera, and with most of their body within a car, could convey as much intention as Frances does as she jerks the car forward, causing John to fall over?  I love that moment.

I had a most interesting email yesterday from the "archivist" of Ralph Edwards Productions.  If they think I'm going to donate private pictures to them, they are sadly, sadly mistaken.   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2005, 08:25:35 AM »

I agree with you, DR td, about the velvet-like color of the new OZ. That's a great way to put it!

Except for one or two little blips on the transfer, DARLING LILI looks and sounds like it could have been made yesterday.

I find it funny that the wags and nay-sayers are simply going by a screen-cap posting to denounce the new transfer, but hey, that's the internet for you.  Personally, I think the new transfer is just sublty richer than the old transfer, and I did something I rarely ever do:  I actually ran a a/b comparison (starting with the door opening onto Munchkinland) to judge for myself.  The only reason I can see for keeping the previous transfer is for the 1979(?) interviews. . .

After I finish up some book research on LILI, I'll watch all of it. . .I checked out the major most memorable scenes last night (wanted also to be sure that the horrible bird song was gone) and the lavender and other pastels Julie sports came through with flying colors (pun always intended).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2005, 08:26:07 AM »

I also like Robert Wagner and Audrey Dalton in TITANIC 1953....she gets into an elevator upon boarding the ship, Wagner and his group run up and he says:  "I'm the steward assigned to you, miss.  Can I help you with something?  Find a deck chair, draw your bath?"  And she replies crisp as lettuce:  "Shouldn't you be in school somewhere?"
Crisp as iceberg lettuce, of course.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2005, 08:27:37 AM »

Good Morning! -Again...

Well, when I got upstairs, there were no breakfast foods to be found in the fridge.  Well, at least no protein sources - eggs, yogurt, etc.  So, I went ahead and headed to the grocery store for said eggs (the organic, free-range, Omega-3 ones were on sale!), yogurt and some peanut butter.  Then I came back here and made some scrambled eggs.  -The yogurt will be my snack later today, and possibly the peanut butter too.

And that's been my morning so far.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2005, 08:34:35 AM »

I'm supposed to go see Nanci Griffith tonight with my friend, Andy, however, Andy is not really in the mood to see Nanci Griffith anymore.   -He bought the tickets two months ago.  So...   He's gonna check in with me during his break this afternoon, and we'll see if we'll be making alternate plans.  In either case, I'll be picking him up from work at 5:00, and we'll go where we go to from there.

*I like Nanci Griffith too, but she's playing at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA.  It's a great venue, but it's also General Admission.  And with my knee, I'm not sure I'm in the mood to wait for two hours in line to get in.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:35:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2005, 08:35:31 AM »

I'm alive, I'm alive!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2005, 08:35:40 AM »

Joy!  Joy!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2005, 08:38:20 AM »

I lugged 20 lbs. of potato salad in to work 30 minutes ago.

My hands still don't feel right from having peeled and cut up 20 lbs. of potatoes.

Figure in the oversized jar of mayo, the small container of mustard, the celery, green pepper, pickle and onion, plus a topping on each container (two containing 10 lbs. potato salad each) of a 9.5 oz jar of garlic-stuffed olives, and there is probablly an argument for 24 lbs. of salad material.

Gosh!  I hope I don't have to carry any home with me!!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:40:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2005, 08:38:44 AM »

Rapture!  Rapture!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2005, 08:39:53 AM »

Rapture!  Rapture!

You ripped the words directly from my heart!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2005, 08:41:37 AM »

I am most seriously displeased with my cable company...again.  For the second time in less than a month, I had to watch primetime television with less-than-acceptable signal quality.

At some point between 9 and 10, the signal was lost completely.  

I am most severely, seriously displeased.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2005, 08:42:42 AM »

Der B and I will be ladsitting again tonight.  The idea is to get their parents out of the house.  The other half of the idea is to put in some personal time with the grandlads, reading and playing music and watching videos.

And, somehow, getting them to eat dinner.

William isn't the problem, but the difficulties with Alex have compounded.  He's always been a picky eater, but now he's had some bloodwork done (!!!) and he's got a cholesterol problem to beat the band.  At eight!

This is what comes from his only eating mac and cheese and hot dogs, and from his parents allowing him this diet.

So, a fruit salad will be in the works.  Ah, but what else to serve?

I'm so mad at his parents, for allowing this state of affairs, that I could spit.  Directly at them.

(A Titanic hocking lugies reference.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »

I lugged 20 lbs. of potato salad in to work 30 minutes ago.

My hands still don't feel right from having peeled and cut up 20 lbs. of potatoes.

Figure in the oversized jar of mayo, the small container of mustard, the celery, green pepper, pickle and onion, plus a topping on each container (two containing 10 lbs. potato salad each) of a 9.5 oz jar of garlic-stuffed olives, and there is probablly an argument for 24 lbs. of salad material.

Gosh!  I hope I don't have to carry any home with me!!!
At least you're allowed to put other things in the potato salad.  That out-of-stepdaughter of mine insists that potato salad consists of potatoes, mayo, and nothing else.  If I add anything, she will refuse to serve it to anyone at whatever bash she's throwing.  Bleh.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2005, 08:46:13 AM »

Apologies to everyone who took me "literally" yesterday about having sighted my twin.

I was actually parodying JRand55's comments to JoseSPiano about his having seen Jose's twin...younger, of course; slighter in build, and one other difference...but insisting, of course, that he saw Jose.

I attempted to paint a picture of "my twin" who looked nothing like me physically, but in whom I saw myself.

Another lost opportunity at humor....

:)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2005, 08:46:49 AM »

Media check...

Office Computer - Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life
Studio Computer - Peter Paul and Mary - Around the Campfire
Car - Sarah Brightman - Love Changes Everything

DVD - nothing
iPod - my bk playlist

Question for DR Elmore or anyone that knows  the answer:

I have to write a harp part for a piece we're doing at Christmas time at church and while I understand the pedal system on the harp, I'm wondering if it was traditional to include pedal markings in the music, or can the harpist figure it out.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2005, 08:46:50 AM »

All I need now is to hire Marni Nixon to do my vocals.

That is, if Ashlee Simpson is finished with her.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:47:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2005, 08:52:39 AM »

I'm faced with a conundrum.

Yes.

Either a conundrum or a kettledrum, I can never keep them straight.

I have piles and piles of unlistened-to CDs.

I have piles and piles of unwatched DVDs.

I have stacks and stacks of unread books.

And frankly, my dears, I haven't the time to do much of anything with any of them.

Much less keep them organized, which is the true source of my conun/kettle(?)drum.

There should be a place for everything and everything in its...but the problem...when I put things away I forget about them until I'm looking for something to while away a couple of hours...never mind that I often replay DVDs or CDs I love a lot...but when things are put away, I make no efforts to listen/watch/read them...so I make piles and stacks and piles and stacks and I don't have that much surface space, so the piles and stacks get higher and more unwieldy (unwieldier, as it were)...and any mild earthquake is going to result in a major catastrophe, let me assure you.

My weekend, I'm afraid, is going to be spent "arranging" things.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2005, 08:52:56 AM »

Question for DR Elmore or anyone that knows  the answer:

I have to write a harp part for a piece we're doing at Christmas time at church and while I understand the pedal system on the harp, I'm wondering if it was traditional to include pedal markings in the music, or can the harpist figure it out.  

DR Matthew - Having "written" a few harp parts myself, as well as transposing some harp parts...

As long as the harpist has a couple of minutes to look the score over before the rehearsal, don't worry about putting in the pedal markings.  Most, if not all, of the harpists I've worked with usually prefer to put their own markings in and/or change the ones that are already there.

*Now, if there's some desired "effect" or strange modulation involved, well... But, still, I've found harpists prefer to make the part their own, so to speak.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2005, 08:53:32 AM »

DVDs:  Well, they're stacking up like hotcakes.  We've got the Astaire/Rogers set, at last.  The collector's ed of Titanic.  The pilot of Stargate Atlantis (der B enjoys that show a lot).  A couple of Time-Life documentary sets on Ancient Voices and Lost Civilizations.  And a couple of music video sets, one with Lynyrd Skynyrd (because the son-in-law introduced the grandlads to their music at one point), and a four-disc set of Elton John.

CDs: More stuff from Time-Life, historical compilations of folk music and some "Singer-Songwriter" stuff.

Books: I've got a stack of some twenty cookbooks/food writing to go through.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2005, 08:56:52 AM »

Re: last night's Apprentice.

DR George, what did you think the "shocking twist" was going to be?

I know I heard the twist i believe on a commercial.  I can't imagine why they would ruin it like that. Crazy considering there were only 4 people there!

I felt bad for the baseball guy.  He seemed so sharp.  And their event really was a success (except for the fact that the batting cage took up the sales room).

How funny watching all four of them in the cab afterwards.

And i cannot wait till next week to see what the other contestants do when NOBODY comes back to the apartment!  How long will they wait? Will someone fill them in? I bet they'll just have them wait and wait and wonder. Should be funny.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up