Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 HICCUPS  (Read 25765 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:23 HICCUPS
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2005, 07:10:15 AM »

I am setting the tone for today by playing the Twin Peaks soundtrack.  Spooky, foreboding music.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2005, 07:15:03 AM »

PAGE TWO DANCE:

No visuals, but picture me dancing to "Audrey's Theme" from Twin Peaks.  That should scare you all enough!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2005, 07:41:21 AM »

Halloween greetings!  Today is the last day of my 4-day weekend and I've already called in sick for tomorrow.  Can't shake the upper respiratory thing and my doctor can't see me until Tuesday afternoon.

JRand - congratulations on your new employment!  Should we visit your store when my family and I are in Indianapolis Dec. 10-12 for the Lord of the Rings exhibit at the Indiana State Museum?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2005, 07:51:16 AM »

Good morning!

At the risk of sounding like I'm hiccupping, we have yet another beautiful day here with (once again) cloudless blue skies and moderate temperatures. High today supposed to be 72.

It's called Paradise!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2005, 07:54:04 AM »

Yes, DRGINNY - please visit us.  As  the date approaches, I will give you the directions and the days I will be working then.

Thanks to all for the vibes.  It should be interesting if nothing else.

No DRFJL - it was not the Broadway production of COASTAL DISTURBANCES but a regional professional production.  My other most horrible play experience was a Don De Lillo play (I forget the title) at the same theatre directed by the the Directing Professor at Indiana University which was AWFUL!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2005, 07:56:02 AM »

Worst "professional" production I've ever seen was a local production of INTO THE WOODS. The tempi were so slow you could count the leaves on the trees just to pass the time. Actors had been cast who were rhythmically challenged and thus had monstrous times with the beats of certain songs. "Your Fault" was such a mess, I'm surprised they didn't just cut the song and play it as dialogue or something. It was between 11:30 and midnight when we walked out of that theater (started at 8), and it felt as if we had been sitting there six or seven hours.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2005, 07:59:26 AM »

But I have to say that the OLIVER! that I just saw about a month ago was just about the weakest amateur production I've ever seen: horrible direction, the weakest Fagin of all time (no Cockney accent, well coiffed hair and no dirt on his face; he could have been a college professor), an Oliver who frequently missed the pitch, a Nancy whose death brought laughter from the audience instead of shock or sadness. A hopeless production.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 08:01:04 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2005, 08:02:27 AM »

With reruns all over the place on tonight's TV menu, DVDs will definitely be the order of the day.

Another LOIS & CLARK will certainly happen, and I want to finish CLOSER. As for another movie, I may pull out THE WAGES OF FEAR since BK mentioned it the other day.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 08:05:53 AM »

Just made luncheon plans, so in a few minutes, I must get up from here and get ready to meet the public.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2005, 08:13:22 AM »

Off to get ready now.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2005, 08:17:09 AM »

TOD - Don't remember details, but I have vague recollections about bad experiences at:

The pre-Broadway Detroit run of the revival of No, No Nanette. My friend took her contacts out at intermission, saying she'd seen enough.

A Cincinnati tour of Dreamgirls at the old Taft Theater - a real dump with a sound system so bad that all we heard was static.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2005, 09:03:01 AM »

A shower makes one feel so much better. And it's 65 degrees outside right now which means no jacket necessary and just a long sleeved t-shirt.

Funny, though, that leaves haven't really started changing colors to a great degree that I've noticed. Some, certainly, but nothing like usual for this time of year. I'm thinking they're just going to turn brown and drop off rather than going through that burst of color we're so used to here.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2005, 09:04:53 AM »

A couple of other really lousy productions that I remember:

A CHESS that was ghastly to sit through.

the revival version of YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN that a group here did last year. Three good performers and three terrible ones made for a whacky off-kilter production.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2005, 09:06:04 AM »

I'm heading out now for my lunch appointment.

WBBL.

I guess that means I can't think about seeing CAPOTE until Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be out of town a good chunk of tomorrow.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2005, 09:37:46 AM »

First runner-up pro production: Into The Woods at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera.  The woods were painted day-glo.  And the Witch was played by Leslie Uggams.  Every time she finished a number, she threw her arms open wide and smiled even more widely.  Wrong, absolutely wrong.

Winner, worst pro production: Fashion, at the Alex Theater, in Glendale, CA.  A wretched show, with terrible music.  The premise was that the ladies of some social club have decided to put on a recreation of an early musical called "Fashion," and the whole thing is staged as a rehearsal for such event.  No costumes, just clothes these ladies have "worn".  A total bore from start to end, even with Dale Kristien in the lead.  Making matters worse, this was a replacement show for the rep company that was using the Alex, so we had bought season tix and had this foisted upon us.  The rep company folded shortly after.

Oddly, as notorious a flop as this show was, a cast recording was made.  I have never been so curious as to seek out a copy.  (I do own a copy of Bed and Sofa, however.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2005, 09:50:53 AM »

I've been trying to recall all morning long if, when I saw COASTAL DISTURBANCES on B'way, Annette Benning and Tim Daly were naked in the opening scene.  You would think that something like that would have stuck in in my mind.  

Alas, the mind begins to go...
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2005, 09:57:14 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I had a scary good sleep, and am now stuck here until the scary Cable Man shows up with a new modem sans hiccups.  The scary appointment was the usual anytime between eight and noon affair.  

Recently there was a production of Merrily We Roll Along in NY, done by some kids just out of school, and they managed to get it into some theater designated as off-off-Broadway, but really was on like 47th St. between Ninth and Tenth.  They tried to tout this as an acclaimed production and sent their people on the chat boards to post how great it was, and people fell for it and saw it and were not happy, especially at fifty bucks a seat.  The posts were some of the most vicious I've ever seen.

But, that's the thing on these boards now - half the posts are about amateur productions, school productions, and community theater productions.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2005, 10:03:11 AM »

I have seen GOOD productions in ALL three of those categories - but oy! I have been victimized as well - in all three categories (and some Professional productions, too).

RE: Perfect Crime.  Back in the 1990's, a man who was appearing in that show wrote a play that was produced here in Indianapolis, and I was in it.  He was married to an actress who had been on YOUNG & RESTLESS in its first years as one of the Brooks girls.  I think his name was James, but I forget his last name.  Very nice man.  Okay play.....  I don't know if he stayed with the show much longer.  He had taken a few weeks off to come to Indy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2005, 10:05:25 AM »

I think a lot of 'civilian' people hate theatre because they have been dragged to so much that is just....well...bad.

When I go, I keep remembering those nights (and there have been many) when magic strikes, everything works, and you see something you love!

Frances Farmer wrote about the magic time between the moment the lights in the theatre go down and the curtain opens - the wonderful feeling of expectation and wonder that the audience feels as a group that something exciting is about to happen.  I love that moment as well....and when it lasts for the whole show - that IS magic.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2005, 10:15:18 AM »

Is anyone going to watch scary movies tonight?

I think that I will...although I don't know which ones yet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2005, 10:17:45 AM »

Well, at this rate we aren't going to be breaking any posting records, are we?  We're havin' a partay here, you know.  Let's get some scary postin' goin' on.  Certainly I'm enjoying what's here so far because it is cherce.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2005, 10:18:30 AM »

I still haven't gotten over to Gelson's to get candy for tonight.  Hope they still have some.  As soon as the scary Cable Man is finished I shall hie myself over there.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2005, 10:28:12 AM »

It is a suitably Halloween-y stormy day here.  Lots and lots (and lots) of rain and wind.  The whole roof overhang and gutter of the Fred Meyer store had blown down when I went shopping this morning!  So I think we will be driving the kids tonight and letting them run up to houses and then jump back in the car.   ::)

I emailed BK that I finally finished Rewind this weekend and had a grand old time.  In the funny synchronicity department, my friend and erstwhile Frances Farmer in Starcrossed singer/actress Susannah Mars is married to a nice chiropractor named....Gary Johnson.   ;D

I've seen many a SCAAARRRRY production in my day.  I was actually in one myself.  I played Jerry in Zoo Story and we did it at (of all places) Brigham Young University.  Now BYU (as you may imagine) has very stringent codes as to what and what cannot be performed on campus so we had to radically Bowdlerize that huge monologue Jerry has in the middle of the piece.  I believe it ended up being two or three sentences.  I was appalled.  The audience loved it.   :-X
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »

Not having candy for the goblins would be scary!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2005, 10:32:50 AM »

Benjamin Kritzer won an award for his performance in The Zoo Story.  Coincidentally, so did I.  Now, which one of us can remember The Story of Jerry and the Dog?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2005, 10:34:02 AM »

Benjamin Kritzer won an award for his performance in The Zoo Story.  Coincidentally, so did I.  Now, which one of us can remember The Story of Jerry and the Dog?

So did I, amazingly enough.  I swept all the Best Actor awards that year from local up through the Rocky Mountain regionals.  I'll see if I can find a pic and post it here.  I had very long hair in those days.  ;)

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2005, 10:34:27 AM »

I saw these little Sony robots on QVC.....for about $200.  They sold out immediately.    :o

Here they are choreographed to dance.   ;D

They are about 16 inches high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=N8FxUMIZkfo&search=robot%20dance

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2005, 10:35:26 AM »

I'm not only up, but I've been out, gotten a flu shot, picked up my laundry AND caught up with last night's posts.

BK, I'm glad you found those menus. There is so much esoterica on eBay...you just never know what people will have held on to until you stumble across it there.

And that's the most fun of all when browsing through eBay.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 10:36:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2005, 10:36:58 AM »

For "Roseanne" fans, Nick at Night will be showing that series' Halloween episodes at some point during the day.

"Roseanne" had some bitchin' Halloween shows!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2005, 10:37:58 AM »

Last night's "Grey's Anatomy":

Holy buckets!  This show ALWAYS delivers!  Last night was one of the most interesting/entertaining/funny and heartwrenching shows I've ever seen of any kind.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 10:40:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up