Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 27549 times)

Ginny

Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »

'morning!

TOD - The Saturdays for which I wax most nostalgic are home game days in Ann Arbor, 1968-72.  After a late breakfast/early lunch, I'd make my way by bus from North Campus, where I lived, to Central Campus, where most of my friends lived.  From there, we'd join the throngs walking down State Street to Michigan Stadium (we never called it "The Big House" - I think ABC-TV made that up), arriving at Hoover Ave. in time to follow the marching band.  A highlight of the pre-game show was the drum major who could do a back-bend and touch the top of his (now, sometimes, her) hat to the ground.  My parents had season tickets to the games, too, so at half-time I'd go visit them and have a taste of whatever beverage they'd smuggled in.  Of course, in my memory the sky was always blue and the temperature moderate.  In reality, the weather was often miserable - UM/OSU 1969 it rained crushed ice!

After the game, I'd either go somewhere with my parents or back to my residence hall with my roommate, where we'd crash and watch the Saturday evening lineup that included  The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Mannix.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2005, 08:29:07 AM »

Terribly nervous about approaching post number 666 - but it is coming up for me.

Danise

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2005, 08:29:22 AM »

I've got to go put that stupid dog house back in the box and take it back to Walmart.  Have you ever noticed that when you take something out of a box, it's near impossible to put it back?  

I'm dreading it.  Sigh.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2005, 08:30:17 AM »

How about a "sweet 16,000" page two dance for BK.

Danise

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2005, 08:30:54 AM »

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2005, 08:30:57 AM »

Page 2, Go Blue, dance:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2005, 08:33:11 AM »

How about a "sweet 16,000" page two dance for BK.

I don't dance so good but I'll supply the band!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2005, 08:39:26 AM »

Good morning, all!  A morning in Toyland and an afternoon with Mario Frangoulis....
I'm gonna tell Brent you're flirting behind his back!!!

;D ;D ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2005, 08:54:15 AM »

Woody - If one of the boys is named Alex, be warned (or maybe prepared in a good way, depending) that the LAST STARFIGHTER leading character is named Alex, and the name is used a bit in the songs....
I don't think there should be a problem.  He's very self-assured, to the point of being cocky.  Regularly gets straight A's at school (third grade).  The only problem would be with any of that mushy stuff with girls, which he doesn't really "get" yet.

One of our goals is to get the grandlads more exposure to stories and music.  That's why we are thinking Last Starfighter would be a good show for them to get to know; the big problem is that the booklet doesn't include the lyrics.  (I know, I know, BK, it can't be done every time because of space and budget limitations, and I understand that.)  So, if we introduce them to the film first, hopefully they'll get into the story, which can lead into the musical.  Then, we can play the disc in the car any time they are with us and ask for it.

We may have to keep it from Mommy, though.  Since so much of the story takes place in a trailer park, which thinks she's above (and so isn't), she might have objections.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2005, 08:59:22 AM »

Just popping back by to show you how long it took me to take that piece of crap apart AND get it back in the box.

Now to load it in Bonnie and hie it back down to Walmart!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2005, 09:01:24 AM »

I will be E&T today because it is the Fall/Winter Tigard Pops Choir concert.  I am very proud of this group, which is open to the public and does not require an audition.  All of our arrangements are originals (no store-bought music, in other words), and we bite off a rather eclectic bunch o'music to chew each session.  This concert will feature original arrangements of everything from "Blue Suede Shoes" to "Grateful" to "100 Years," as well as several originals by moi.

Personal stupidity department:  I realized yesterday after I placed my DDD sale order that I purchased Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise (Criterion), even though I already have it.  Does anyone here want it for cost (I think it was $23 after sale price).  I will kick in postage myself.  Let me know via email or PM.

Also could someone help me with some brain death, please?  ;)  I could have sworn Hitchcock's Lifeboat was already out on DVD in one of those previously released boxed sets, but when I checked my shelves yesterday, I couldn't find it.  Maybe I had it on VHS, though I could swear I remember watching a doc about it, but I may be confused.  Did anything else previously unreleased (aside from the re-done Vertigo) come out in that new boxed set?  I have all the previously released boxed sets (3 of them) and don't want to duplicate, so I'll probably buy single titles.

I'll catch up this morning until I have to leave and then again tonight.  Send good singing vibes our way!  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2005, 09:02:17 AM »

Mikey!  What are you doing up so early?

For some reason I woke up at 5:00 am. Decided to get up and read newspaper, check HHW, and have couple cups of coffee...the slipped back into bed for another few hours!

I guess it was just TOO early to get up!

Michael

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2005, 09:06:34 AM »

I like to write out and diagram the trivia question which is always a big help and in doing so I can in this case tracked down the answer.

And in doing so I found another interesting bit of trivia which I shared with BK and will reveal on Tuesday.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2005, 09:07:06 AM »

And it is noon time here on the east coast. where has the day gone??
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2005, 09:08:44 AM »

Maybe Steve Suskin's book Second Act Trouble (which is what Writer's Block is ALL about) will be more, how shall I say, fun.  Of course, it keeps getting pushed back by its publisher, and it doesn't seem like it will be out until January.

No wonder I couldn't find the book in the store. I hope it doesn't go the way of Mario Bravo bio and we still have to wait 5 years later.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2005, 09:14:11 AM »

Well, ain't this the pits!  I was going to suggest a gift for our esteemed BK's sweet 16M, but it turns out that sixteen doesn't have a traditional anniversary association.  We go from 10 being tin, 11 is steel, 12 is silk, 13 lace, 14 ivory, and 15 is crystal.  But then the traditional list jumps to 20 (china), skipping 16 through 19 altogether.  It's like the honeymoon is supposed to be over at that point.

Sure, I guess the non-traditional suggestion of "silver holloware" (whatever that is) is there, but if you're a traditionalist, this is the pits!

:P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2005, 09:15:32 AM »

I like to write out and diagram the trivia question which is always a big help and in doing so I can in this case tracked down the answer.

And in doing so I found another interesting bit of trivia which I shared with BK and will reveal on Tuesday.
Are you also a Sudoku addict?

JMK

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2005, 09:19:26 AM »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »

I'm gonna tell Brent you're flirting behind his back!!!

;D ;D ;D

Brent Barrett?  He already knows.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2005, 09:34:51 AM »

This is Lifeboat's first release on DVD.

I don't think any of the titles in the new Hitch set are available seperately - however, if you have the three previous sets, you've got everything except the "bonus" disc, which, unfortunately, is a bit of a joke.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2005, 09:44:45 AM »

No wonder I couldn't find the book in the store. I hope it doesn't go the way of Mario Bravo bio and we still have to wait 5 years later.

I had an email from Steve saying it would be out in January.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2005, 09:52:46 AM »

The author of the Gower book completely glosses over the whole Bob Merrill business in Dolly.  He mentions him, but implies he just gave suggestions.  Then, later, he says that Herman AND Merrill worked together and wrote Elegance and Motherhood.  

He mentions Strouse and Adams and says Gower hated their Parade song, but fails to mention that, if I'm remembering correctly, that the title, Before The Parade Passes By, was theirs.  Does anyone remember if that's true?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2005, 10:07:50 AM »

I just sent in my answers to the unseemly trivia quiz.  By George, I knew this one!

Don't blame me!  I had nothing to do with this!  Honest! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2005, 10:16:43 AM »

Well, let's just see - here it is, post number 16,000!

Congratulations!  And I only have 10,361 more posts (including this one) till I catch up! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2005, 10:19:41 AM »

And now I must be going.  I have to FedEx a package to our very own BK and I have to build some sort of wishing well for a going away party at work on Monday. :P Why did I agree to this ???
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 10:20:07 AM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2005, 10:21:52 AM »

Don't blame me!  I had nothing to do with this!  Honest! ;)

It's always DRJose's fault.  EVERYTHING IS DR JOSE'S FAULT!! That alone lets you off the hook.

Dear Friend BK, in the  Jerry Herman book by Stephen Citron a letter from Charles Strouse giving Herman full credit for "Parade" is reprinted.  Citron makes no mention of Strouse & Adams coming up with the title, and he says the first eight lines of "Elegance" are by Merrill and the rest by Herman.  "Motherhood March" is a bit vaguer, but he notes that it was Herman who requested it not be in the film.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2005, 10:23:56 AM »

And now I must be going.  I have to FedEx a package to our very own BK and I have to build some sort of wishing well for a going away party at work on Monday. :P Why did I agree to this ???
DRGeorge, I wish you'd find another avatar.  The one you're using now scares the hell out of me!   ;D

I, of course, have no options.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 10:27:06 AM by elmore3003 »

JMK

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »

I wish you'd find another avatar.  The one you're using now scares the hell out of me!  I, of course, have no options.

Oh, but you do.  Search my posts for the "Separated at Birth" pictures I posted of you and the late Chief Justice Rehnquist (or however the hell his name was spelled).   ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 10:27:56 AM by JMK »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2005, 10:30:50 AM »

Oh, but you do.  Search my posts for the "Separated at Birth" pictures I posted of you and the late Chief Justice Rehnquist (or however the hell his name was spelled).   ;D

I'm much prettier!  And liberal.  And nice.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »

I'm up and have been out to the Safeway and am now back.

I have chicken breasts smothered in onions and mesquite barbecue sauce cooking in one crockpot and a roast smothered in onions and mushroom soup cooking in another crockpot.

Safeway stunned me today with its beef prices.  I got two nice roasts for under $5.00 each ($1.99/lb...Rancher's Choice brand).  That special is only for club card holders.  The prices are more than double without the card.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up