Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 27334 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WAXING NOSTALGIC
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:16:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've waxed, you've waned, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're off getting waxed, as they don't wish to look unseemly in their new cow bikinis.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 12:24:00 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:17:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: BELLICOSE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:46:31 AM »

What did I used to do on Saturday mornings?  Basically, just watch TV.  My sister and I used to get up and make breakfast and eat in front of the TV on the floor.  We'd watch whatever was on, for the most part.  I don't remember if therer were any specific shows that we watched and loved, but that's what we did. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 12:47:10 AM »

And now...to sleep. 8)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 01:07:25 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

I am not sleepy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 04:43:52 AM »

Good morning, all!  A morning in Toyland and an afternoon with Mario Frangoulis.   I just sent in my answers to the unseemly trivia quiz.  By George, I knew this one!

My childhood saturdays were quite similar to BK's:  my brother Tom and I would meet our cousins Judy and Jeanne at the Paramount Theatre and we'd while away the late morning and early afternoon with cartoons, a serial of which I don't recall ever seeing a beginning or conclusion in the series, and a movie.  Even if there were no extended kiddie matinee, which my memory recalls were sporadic events, Tom and I, usually with J&J, would still see the first screening on Saturday at the Paramount.  My only real memory of standing in line for a movie is waiting for DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE.

After the matinee, we'd wander to Murphy's Five and Dime to look at the latest comic books and while away the time until my father, or uncle, came to take us home.  Murphy's, which had a great snack area with the best fountain Coke and hot dogs in my hometown, always smelled of freshly popped corn, and I can smell it as I type this.

I always liked the department stores best when they were festooned for the holidays:  all the vivid oranges and yellows for Halloween with stacked boxes of tacky Halloween costumes, the greens and reds for Christmas.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 05:33:57 AM »

Saturday mornings for me would be early up and cartoons on the TV. Around 10 am I would watch either a Bowery Boys movie, a sword and sandel film, or Abbott and Costello comedy, which ever was playing. Then at noon it was either either a sci-fi film on channel 2 or a horror film on channel 13!

The rest of the afternoon was spent playing with neighbor Scott or friends Teresa and Shannon.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 05:38:42 AM »

Mikey!  What are you doing up so early?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 05:51:37 AM »

Elmore - I didn't know it immediately the way you did, but I got the main part of this trivia answer fairly easily, just after checking a few things out.  Everyone who enjoys theater trivia should try this one.  It was fun watching the pieces fall into place.  "Tough" enough to be fun, penetrable enough to be even more fun.

FJL

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 06:00:31 AM »

Woody - If one of the boys is named Alex, be warned (or maybe prepared ina good way, depending) that the LAST STARFIGHTER leading character is named Alex, and the name is used a bit in the songs.  This could be great for self-esteem on the one hand, as he may love hearing his name in such a positive light - "Good old Alex" and "Go Alex" and such.  (However, I remember my own younger years - not that I was a typical kid :)  - not particularly liking my own name being repeated over and over in songs like "Do the Freddie" and "Freddy My Love."  So you may want to give tracks 2,4 and 15 a listen on your own first if there are even any remote name-sensitivity possibilities).

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 06:00:39 AM »

Like George, Saturday was all about the cartoons and kids shows on TV. Superfriends, Scooby Doo, Captain Caveman, the Schmoo, the Herculoids, whatever was on.

I remember the pain of waking up too early when there were only public affairs shows on or religious shows. Then, of course, there were only a handful of channels to choose from.

At around noon, the cartoons usually dried up and it was time to go out and play.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 06:03:02 AM »

I guess you can be glad you weren't a kid when the movie FREDDIE GOT FINGERED came out!

FJL

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 06:26:36 AM »

Rodzinski - At that point, I actually had long since started to get a kick out of that kind of stuff - meaning the references, not necessarily the specifics. :)    

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 07:56:30 AM »

Good morning!

Saturdays for me when growing up also started out with cartoons.  But just a few, because then I would head off to church with my cousins to conduct a class for the wee ones.  We did this for many years, although it's not done anymore.  Just fun stuff.  Gave the parents Saturday morning to get stuff done.

Afternoon started with American Bandstand, then maybe a movie, and getting ready for Saturday NIGHT!!!  Roller skating or a drive in or a party.  We never wanted to stay home on Saturday night!

If course in the early 60's - Saturday Night at the Movies on NBC was pretty exciting!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 07:56:58 AM »

Off to work.  Back tonight.  I hope we are EXTRA busy today to make the time pass quickly.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2005, 07:57:16 AM »

Morning all!

I recognized Doodles Weaver in Christmas In Connecticut as well.

He was a wonderful actor.  Thanks for the story about him DR CP

Saturday was cartoon day for me as well and in the afternoon was Creature Feature with Dr. Paul Bearer ("I'll be lurking for yoooou!").

Dr Paul was who "sang" the songs that Vixmom spoke about last month.   I'm Holding Your Hand In Mine, Dear etc.  He would go to the music room in his castle and belt one out every once in awhile.  Of course I knew that he really wasn't the one singing.

It was ok to watch scary movies in the afternoon because you forgot about them by the time you went to bed that night.  So no nightmares!   :)

I'm having one of the "I can type, really I can" mornings!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 08:04:13 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 08:06:01 AM »

So DR's CP and Jrand, were you able to keep up with all the edits in that post?!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 08:16:08 AM »

I was awakened MUCH too early by a telephonic ringing from a very wrong number.

Re Doodles Weaver - in his much later years he had a rather sweet but very large crush on Miss Cindy Williams.  He used to call me at the production office when we were prepping The Creature Wasn't Nice, and he'd talk to me at length and ask me to protect her and keep my eye on her.  Nothing creepy, just sweet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 08:20:52 AM »

I did not intend to be up this early, I intended to sleep in because I was up until two reading the Gower Champion book, which I'm in the midst of (in the Hello, Dolly chapter).  It's not the brilliant book people on the chat boards are trying to say it is - it's fine, well-written and well-researched, but there is a sameness thus far to all the sections about the shows.  Gower is cold, Gower is rigid, Gower is responsible for everything good.  What there isn't, thus far, is drama.  You want drama, read Writer's Block (those who've read it know that one of the characters is partly based on Mr. Champion).  With all the out-of-town tryouts and stuff, you want those stories to be told with a sense of drama, since they ARE dramatic.  So far, not in this book.  Maybe Steve Suskin's book Second Act Trouble (which is what Writer's Block is ALL about) will be more, how shall I say, fun.  Of course, it keeps getting pushed back by its publisher, and it doesn't seem like it will be out until January.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005, 08:21:06 AM »

How can we still be on page one?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2005, 08:21:21 AM »

How can we STILL be on page one?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2005, 08:21:35 AM »

How CAN we still be on page one?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2005, 08:21:49 AM »

How can we still be on page ONE?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2005, 08:22:16 AM »

How can we still BE on page one?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005, 08:22:54 AM »

Well, two more posts and I achieve my new plateau, but will my new plateau coincide with a page two appearance?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005, 08:23:23 AM »

Well, let's just see - here it is, post number 16,000!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2005, 08:23:35 AM »

And no page two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2005, 08:25:17 AM »

I see six count them six people sitting there like so much fish, watching me do a monologue whilst they sit on their butt cheeks twiddling their collective thumbs.

Danise

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 08:27:06 AM »

I guess neither you, BK or DR CP have any Errol Flynn stories that he might have told you?  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2005, 08:27:06 AM »

Just catching up a little.

Congrats on your Sweet 16,000.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up