Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOT-TOO-TAXING RELAXING DAY  (Read 22586 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE NOT-TOO-TAXING RELAXING DAY
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2005, 01:11:42 PM »

Well... And now Page 3!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2005, 01:13:14 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - Maybe I missed it...  But what was it that had the potential to make this weekend a "train-wreck weekend"?  -If you care to share.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »

Welcome "Back" DR Jose.
So why aren't you married yet?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2005, 01:44:33 PM »

Welcome "Back" DR Jose.
So why aren't you married yet?

A) Because I haven't found the right man yet.
(I credit that response to DR elmore.)
and

B) I'm not living in Canada.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »

...And I do have to say that there were some tears shed when I said Goodbye to my aunt this morning.  I hope she has/had a good flight back to Los Angeles this morning.  -And I hope she and my parents managed to fit all the "stuff" into her luggage.  Clothes, souvenirs, pictures, small appliances (a new hand blender (an Oster 6-speed, with retractable cord) a.k.a. my present to her), and... drumroll please... About two dozens cooked crabs packed in a stryofoam cooler with some dry ice - don't ask.  -Since I don't have the answer.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2005, 01:57:51 PM »

On the TOD:

Debussy has been my favorite classical composer for a long time now and "Reverie" and "Clair de Lune" are my two favorites by him.

But I like lots of classical music and can listen to just about any of it and find pleasure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2005, 02:02:11 PM »

On the subject of opera, I know only a limited amount. I've only seen four classic operas "in the flesh," and of those, Bizet's CARMEN has always been my favorite.

In interviews I've read, Sondheim himself has resisted the label of opera for SWEENEY TODD, but it certainly has been done in opera houses all over the world. If it's not an opera, then I guess my favorite "Broadway opera" would be PORGY AND BESS. I am quick to say, however, that I've never heard REGINA or any of the Minotti operas that played Broadway.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2005, 02:02:28 PM »

And I thought many a DR would appreciate this picture:

Standing: Charmian Carr (left), Debbie Turner and Kym Karath; Sitting: Nicholas Hammond (left), Heather Menzies, Julie Andrews, Angela Cartwright and Duane Chase

PHOTO CALL: The Hills Are Still Alive After 40 Years with Release of Anniversary “Sound of Music” DVD
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »

A) Because I haven't found the right man yet.
(I credit that response to DR elmore.)
and

B) I'm not living in Canada.

;D

Or Massachusetts! ;)

I have to leave (after just popping in) to usher for SOGO, which stands for "Student Orchestras of Greater Olympia."  It should be quite interesting...but since I'm not really interested in orchestral or instrumental music, I won't find it interesting.  But a lot of people do, and that's okay, too! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2005, 02:03:42 PM »

I finished up THE WIZARD OF OZ while I was preparing lunch and eating it. Always wonderful and "gets me" every time.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2005, 02:05:51 PM »

Thanks for that picture, DR Jose. Of the children, the one I can most easily recognize without the labels is Duane Chase! Glad to see Nicholas Hammond attended this gathering. Often, he's one of the ones who's absent from these affairs.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2005, 02:08:46 PM »

After doing some DVD dubs for some folks, I settled in making a DVD dub for myself, THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. There was some speckling on the print TCM used for broadcast, but the DVD will be more than acceptable until a commercial one comes along. Heck, it might be the same master used for the commercial DVD!

I can imagine snooty film critics of the period looking down on this film, but it's a wonderful adventure and very moving, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2005, 02:11:32 PM »

With that Saturday Night Live 80s special coming on tonight, I have fewer things to watch tonight than usual, so I'll be able to see DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES "live" and then in the 10 o'clock hour watch the HBO-HD broadcast of ROME that I will have recorded during HOUSEWIVES.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2005, 02:15:32 PM »

DR td:

Clean out your inbox please! I tried to send you a response and your inbox is full!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:15:57 PM by Matt H. »

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2005, 02:34:14 PM »

Thank you DR Jose for SoM pic. I've saved it for DR François.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2005, 02:48:19 PM »

I am just about footaged out - what a way to waste a Sunday - and it's HARD to choose clips - they have to be short and sweet and so one must search through each DVD for those moments.  And then there's the problem of the fact that I don't seem to have certain DVDs that I thought I did, like American Graffitti and From Here To Eternity, and The In-Laws.  So, tomorrow I'm going to have to go find those, along with a few others that I would never buy if it weren't for this clip reel.

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2005, 02:50:39 PM »

Well, I started with putting on the 3 storm windows I needed to put on. I washed them before they went up, of course, so you know what that means....all the rest of the windows looked dirty.   It's a nice day, so I washed all the windows.  

I didn't get hat done before winter last year and was very sorry all winter that I hadn't.  I had one neighbor stop to tell me what I was doing was futile, that there would be streaks and they would just get dirty again. That's a pretty dismal way to look at things....

I managed to break a cheap bookcase while trying to get a window off
that has been painted shut for who knows how long but I was bound and determined to get it clean. It's clean and now I need a new book case....

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2005, 02:52:09 PM »

I also made a wonderful chicken piccata for lunch. I've been hungry for it for days and this was the first time I had time to really do it right.  It was yummy and I have enough left over for a delightful dinner

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2005, 02:53:01 PM »

Now I get to do motions in limine and jury instructions for an upcoming trial. Oh what fun

Danise

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2005, 02:54:50 PM »

Evening all!

The 2nd dog house was a big hit!  I looked out this morning and Brandi was sleeping away on her new memory foam pad in her new house.  

I had a very good sleep last night with many dreams.  One of them was about all of us being at a house that I used to live in when I was younger.  Some kind of party/gathering.  Here was the kicker.  It wasn't MY house-- for some reason it belonged to none other then BK!  Now BK, why did you buy my old house?     :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:55:16 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2005, 02:55:02 PM »

I have some DVD dubs to make today for folks as well as enjoying some DVDs and other video entertainment.

What language are you dubbing them into?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2005, 02:59:03 PM »

Going to head down and clean my bathroom now and then back to TV.

WBBL.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

Thanks for that picture, DR Jose. Of the children, the one I can most easily recognize without the labels is Duane Chase! Glad to see Nicholas Hammond attended this gathering. Often, he's one of the ones who's absent from these affairs.

Doesn't Nicholas Hammond live in Australia? It a schlep to come to these things. But 40 years is something.

Saw them on Good Morning America last Friday. I thought they would have at least mentioned Robert Wise.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2005, 03:01:28 PM »

Well folks since Italy is out this year I have decided to spend some time in the usa. I will probably go to NYC and LA or LA and NYC. I haven't decided yet.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2005, 03:02:14 PM »

I have been very bad.

I haven't asked how DR VixDad is.  I do hope that all is going well for him.

And I meant to ask DR François to be careful and stay safe with all the riots that are going on in his country.  

Happy Birthday to DR Ginnys DH!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

[/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2005, 03:04:07 PM »

Movie Watch:

I tried to watch Night Visitor this weekend. Didn't make it through the whole film. But did fast forward to BK's one and only scene, It was shot in a long shot and BK was mostly in profile. The suit he wore wasn't bad looking.
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2005, 03:06:53 PM »

Gershwin: AN AMERICAN IN PARIS and RHAPSODY IN BLUE.

Also really like Grofe's GRAND CANYON SUITE, and Tchaikovsky's SWAN LAKE and THE NUTCRACKER.

Those would be my favorites...the last 3 have been favorites since I was a toddler.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2005, 03:08:10 PM »

Anyone planing to get the Harold Lloyd 7 disc box set? I see it is coming out on Tuesday.

Here is what on it:

Volume 1
Disc 1:
· Feature films and shorts - Girl Shy (1924), Safety Last! (1923), An Eastern Westerner (1920), Ask Father (1919), From Hand to Mouth (1919)
· Commentary by Leonard Maltin director and Rich Correll on Safety Last!
· Production and publicity galleries
· Animated menus
· 4X3 full frame versions
· 2M mono audio

Disc 2:
· Feature films and shorts - The Milky Way (1936), The Cat’s Paw (1934), Why Worry? (1923)
· Featurette “Harold’s Hollywood: Then and Now”
· English subtitles and closed captions
· Animated menus
· Spanish subtitles – on feature films
· 2M mono audio

Volume 2
Disc 1:
· Feature films and shorts - Kid Brother (1927), The Freshman (1925), Bumping Into Broadway (1919), Billy Blazes, Esq. (1919)
· Commentary by Leonard Maltin, Rich Correll and film historian Richard Bann on The Freshman
· Commentary by Harold Lloyd’s granddaughter, Suzanne Lloyd, author Annette Lloyd, and Rich Correll on Kid Brother
· Animated menus
· 2M mono audio

Disc 2:
· Feature films and shorts - Feet First (1930), Grandma’s Boy (1922), Dr. Jack (1922), Now or Never (1921), High and Dizzy (1920)
· “Scoring for Comedy” Featurette
· Spanish subtitles
· Animated menus
· 2M mono audio

Volume 3
Disc 1:
· Feature films and shorts - Speedy (1928), Hot Water (1924), Never Weaken (1921), Haunted Spooks (1920),
· Commentary by Suzanne Lloyd, Annette Lloyd and Rich Correll on Speedy and Haunted Spooks
· Animated menus
· 2M mono audio

Disc 2:
· Feature films and shorts - Movie Crazy (1932), For Heaven’s Sake (1926), I Do (1921), Among Those Present (1921), A Sailor-Made Man (1921), Get Out and Get Under (1920), Number Please? (1920)
· “Greenacres” Featurette
· Productions and publicity galleries
· Spanish subtitles

Bonus Disc (Collector’s Set Only)
· Rare home movies
· Introductions from film critic and historian Leonard Maltin
· Photo galleries, lobby cards and production stills
· Comparisons between domestic and international prints
· “Then-and-now” location comparisons
· Tributes and interviews with family, friends and legendary celebrities including Debbie Reynolds, Robert Wagner, Tab Hunter and director John Landis
· Rogues’ gallery of autographed photos of celebrities, presidents and sports heroes
· Scrapbook collection - Reviews, programs, etc.
· 3-D photos (3-D glasses included)
· Over 30 featurettes
· And more!
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2005, 03:13:39 PM »

Gershwin: AN AMERICAN IN PARIS and RHAPSODY IN BLUE.

Also really like Grofe's GRAND CANYON SUITE, and Tchaikovsky's SWAN LAKE and THE NUTCRACKER.

Those would be my favorites...the last 3 have been favorites since I was a toddler.

Did you also watch that "film" of "Grand Canyon Suite" when you were in school?  I remember watching it yearly when I was in grade school.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2005, 03:18:06 PM »

Whew... just caught up on posts, as yesterday was a day of doing various errands and consoling (a.k.a. drinking with) a friend who just got fired from a show.  DH Noel and I have spend the day watching "Lost", which we got from NetFlix yesterday.  We are officially junkies:  We have already watched the first SEVEN episodes and are about to watch number 8 (Confidence Man), and who knows how long we'll be able to make it until the next fix.  This show was certainly NOT what I expected, in a good way!  I love how they didn't start with the plane crash and show you the whole thing right away, but instead give you little bites at a time.  I almost fell off the couch at the end of the "Walkabout" episode.  Wow, that was brilliant!

Well, if DH Noel will get off the phone, we can start the next exciting installment of "Lost"!

Of course, I don't know what we'll do when we've watched all of this season and it's too late to catch up with the current season... shudder... but I can't think about that right now.  I must get my fix!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up