Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATE, LATE NOTES  (Read 26736 times)

Ginny

Re:THE LATE, LATE NOTES
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2005, 07:57:25 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Have a safe trip tomorrow.  I'll be interested when you can post a photo of the mural.  We have a guy here who does that sort of thing and they're amazing!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2005, 08:03:42 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 7 Turkey Dance[/move]
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2005, 08:12:52 PM »

Yep, I shed tears watching LOST myself - a superb episode. Backstory very interesting and the present-time stories just riveting.

And how great was it to see all the regulars again? It was like a family reunion here at Thanksgiving!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »

Yeah, she's a real trip.  She just moved here after more than 20 years in Phoenix.  She's freaked out by the wintery weather we're having - she didn't even know how to turn the heat on in her car!

Cars have heaters?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2005, 08:14:58 PM »

Before LOST came on, I re-watched FINDING NEVERLAND. Such a beautiful film and since neither my mom nor my dad is around any more for the holidays, it somehow made me feel just a tiny bit closer to them.

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2005, 08:15:35 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Have a safe trip tomorrow.  I'll be interested when you can post a photo of the mural.  We have a guy here who does that sort of thing and they're amazing!
Well, I didn't actually get a photo today, he finished as the sun was setting. I have a photo of the work in progress, but I'd rather post a complete one....maybe when I get back...lol sounds like I'll be busy when i get back

Have a great Thanksgiving DR Ginny

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2005, 08:17:28 PM »

INVASION had another excellent and creepy episode. Its audience has certainly shrunk from its premiere numbers. I think some viewers have gotten impatient with its slowly unfolding story, but I don't find it slow. Rather, I find it incredibly detailed and nuanced.

LOST and INVASION make a terrific one-two punch of suspense and character mystery that are pretty hard to top.

Ginny

« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2005, 08:19:25 PM »

Cars have heaters?

DR DearReaderLaura - LOL  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2005, 08:20:29 PM »

DR George and others who like THRESHOLD:

I don't mean to pour cold water, but in case you hadn't read, the overnight ratings on Tuesday night for THRESHOLD in its new time slot were the lowest it has scored. CBS has another episode scheduled for next Tuesday, but seeing how really awful the rating was this week, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS pulled it.

I'll keep you posted if I read anything about it in VARIETY.

Cillaliz

« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2005, 08:22:48 PM »

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to all.  I think I may have the laptop working well enough to take it with me.  So, I'll be dealing with dial up, but I can still post at night when my parents aren't expecting phone calls. (My mother always thinks she's expecting a phone call). "What if the President was trying to call?" I heard that all my life. Right mom.

Ginny

« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2005, 08:24:02 PM »

DR George and others who like THRESHOLD:

I don't mean to pour cold water, but in case you hadn't read, the overnight ratings on Tuesday night for THRESHOLD in its new time slot were the lowest it has scored. CBS has another episode scheduled for next Tuesday, but seeing how really awful the rating was this week, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS pulled it.

I'll keep you posted if I read anything about it in VARIETY.

DR MattH - My husband is watching Threshold, along with the other "world in peril" series - I have trouble telling them apart!

Ginny

« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2005, 08:25:24 PM »

Tomorrow will be an early day, and a long one, for me.  'night.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2005, 08:37:49 PM »

DR MattH - My husband is watching Threshold, along with the other "world in peril" series - I have trouble telling them apart!

There are three actually - ABC'S INVASION, CBS' THRESHOLD, and NBC's SURFACE.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2005, 08:39:17 PM »

I, too, am going to head down a little earlier than usual. I didn't sleep great last night, and I hope tonight will make up somewhat for that.

Good night, everyone!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2005, 08:42:17 PM »

I am sure that Mr. Chesney is a nice man (although the rumors that he is gay seem doubtful).  And Kenny has a pleasant enough voice in the Garth Brooks / Alan Jackson style of Country Music.  However, he has about as much reason to wear a sleaveless t-shirt as I do.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2005, 08:44:23 PM »

I, also, had a horrible night of sleep last night (nightmares, cold sweats), so I think I will head off to bed, as well.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2005, 09:30:01 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from seeing "Rent" with some of the Damn Yankees folks...

:-\

Time to catch up on the Notes and Posts...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2005, 10:32:21 PM »

Hmmm... I have Classic Arts TV on right now...

They're showing the finale from Strauss' Cappricio with Renee Fleming - some sort of film adaptation of an actual performance.  Sort of strange, and Ms. Fleming is being, well... Ms. Fleming.  Sometimes she's just a bit too too much for me.  Even here "diva-ness" seems a bit pre-meditated at times.  Ah, well...

However, earlier, there was a clip of Aldo Ciccolini playing Debussy's "La plus que lente" - which is one of my all-time favorite pianos pieces - both to listen to and to play.  When I saw the kyron(sp?) giving the information about which clip was next, I was a little apprehensive - Aldo Ciccolini is truly one of the fastest piano players on record, and sometimes he just plays things too fast (at least for my taste - however, his recordings of the Saint-Saens Piano Concerti are at times breath-taking!).  Well, as soon as the clip started playing, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the tempo and pace of his performance.   ...And then a few minutes later, Ms. Fleming was doing her thing...

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2005, 10:35:37 PM »

Hmm... Unless I skipped over a post or two...

On the way back from home from the movie, there was a report on the radio that ABC has decided to make this season of "Alias" the final season.  It was sort of funny, one report used the wording, "has decided to bring to show to a close", while another report a couple of minutes later said that ABC that the show was "cancelled".  Ah, the joy of spin!  -However, it appears that ABC has promised to have the show go out with the proverbial bang.  We shall see...  Well, you guys will see since I don't watch the show.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2005, 10:36:35 PM »

As for "Rent"...

Did anyone tape "Lost"?  I missed it tonight since I decided to go to the movies.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2005, 10:44:35 PM »

"Rent" Comments Coming Up...

All I will say about "Rent" (the movie) is that Christopher Columbus did a respectable job of bringing the stage movie to the big screen.  However, it was too respectable.  And way too literal!  The "Living in America" sequence actually elicited a few giggles from members of the audience - including myself.

I finally caught up on some of the reviews, and the Washington Post reviewer had the same observations.  And he made a great comment on how film-makers are too afraid of "musicals" since they don't reflect "reality"...

"Like so many people who have made a hash of musicals on stage and screen for a generation, Columbus and his team are deeply ambivalent about this whole singing and dancing thing; it's just not natural, and movies, well, they're so unavoidably realistic.  (What a fallacy: They're both dream factories.)

However, it was great fun spotting a bunch of people I knew in the background and in some of the bit parts.  -Especially Wayne Wilcox in the support group sequences.  (What a cutie!)  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 10:57:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2005, 10:48:11 PM »

And as for where I was on November 22, 1963...

Well, I did not enter this world until 1968, so... However, on November 22, 1985, I came out of the closet.  Timothy Doyle was the first person I told.  -And I need to touch base with him again, it's been way too long since we've seen each other.

WOW!  20 years!  In some ways, that doesn't really feel like that much time has passed.  In other ways, well... Let's just say there were a few "slow" years in there.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - I love orzo!  I first came across it in Greek restaurants - some avgolemono soup recipes call for it instead of rice - both, however, are considered "traditional".  -I prefer my avgolemono with orzo.  It's a great rice-shaped pasta.  Great for pasta salads too!  My favorite way to prepare it is to brown a portion of in some olive oil, then add in some "fresh" orzo, add water and cook it until it's done.  You end up with this wonderful side dish, "grains" of white and brown.  A couple of companies also make a tri-color orzo - red, green and orange (beet, spinach and carrot colored).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2005, 10:53:39 PM »

DR Jane - Glad to know you liked the screen-savers.

:P

www.theslurps.com
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 10:54:33 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2005, 10:56:26 PM »

OH!

And it started snowing as I was going in to the movie theatre.  It was very cool walking through Georgetown with the snow falling.  Almost like a postcard.  When I got out of the movie, it had stopped and most of it had melted, but we're supposed to get another light dusting during the overnight hours.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »

Back from a verrrry long day.  Despite having had four people out tonight (traveling for Thanksgiving), and despite having to put in the new guy, rehearsal went very, very well, and everyone is really starting to get the two big numbers in their bodies and minds.  Even the teachers' number started to come together, and if they really spend the weekend listening to their tape and going over everything in their heads, I think they'll get it all.  Today we really broke the number down into tiny sections, and I gave the clues as to how to get from one thing to the next - to always be one step ahead in their heads, so that they're not thinking of the next bit at the moment they're supposed to be doing the next bit.  It's really alien to all of them, but today I think it all finally started to sink in.  The joy of the number is that even if they screw up it's still funny.  But it's REALLY funny when they're sharp.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: November 23, 2005, 11:08:29 PM »

As for the change in singing styles...

I'm with DR Jason on this one...  It's the whole evolution of popular music in general.  -Remember when "show music" actually was "pop(ular) music"?  All things change, like it or not, and you can like it... or not.  Yes, microphones - and myself ;) - can be blamed for a contributing to the "problem", but as long as "we" continue to "not go" to a show just because we think we may not like it, well...  Then that truly will be the death of musical theatre.  If there's no audience to play to...

Heck, even operatic performance standards have changed over the past 50 years - even over the past 20-30 years.  Yes, there are still some admirers of the "stand and sing" school, but most of today's audiences want to sense some "acting", some real emotion - not just painted on tears and worry lines.

And I believe DR Jason and I were both very surprised at how much we "got" and liked Michael John LaChiusa's newest, See What I Wanna See.  And it actually demands a couple of different vocal styles from it's performers: everything from a jazzy-cabaret performance to some quasi-operatic singing to gentle ballad delivery.

Well...  I could ramble on and on... And I sort of have already, so...

Next!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: November 23, 2005, 11:08:53 PM »

I'm thinkin' the notes will be up a bit late - my brain needs to get unfried a little before I attempt to be witty and gay and carefree as a lark who is learning to pray.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: November 23, 2005, 11:13:52 PM »

As for record labels...

I remember Atlantic ("Le Freak" - at least, I seem to recall Le Chic on that label), Polydor ("Reunited", Peaches & Herb), Chrysalis ("Heart of Glass", Blondie) and, of course, K-tel ("Mellow Gold", among others).

I recognized Columbia (now Sony) early on as the one to look for for all the good cast recordings.  Then came RCA (now BMG/etc.) due to most of the Sondheim canon.  Classically, there were the big three under the Universal umbrella (London/Decca, Philips and Deutsche Gramaphon (that yellow banner is a true classic)), and Angel/EMI - all those opera sets!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: November 23, 2005, 11:17:50 PM »

...We finished sketching in the rest of Damn Yankees this afternoon.  I think we're planning some brush-up and second passes on Friday, and then run-thrus on Saturday and Sunday. WOW!  And first orchestra rehearsal is a week from tomorrow/today!  Double-WOW!!

And I got my program bio back today for proofing... I'll be sure to forward you a copy, BK.  ;)

And I also received the final installment of my fee a few days early today too!  -Guess I can hit some of this sales on Friday before rehearsal!! :)  (We're not called until Noon.)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up