Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATE, LATE NOTES  (Read 25942 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LATE, LATE NOTES
« on: November 23, 2005, 02:51:43 AM »

Well, you've read The Late, Late Notes, you probably read them in the wee hours of the morning, and now it is time for you to post until The Late, Late Cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 12:32:08 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LATE, LATE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 02:52:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: PENULTIMATE!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 04:24:34 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a doctor's appointment this morning at 11:00, a lot of housecleaning, and I need to do a bit of shopping.  All in all, I think the day will fly by.  Beyond that, I have nothing more to add so I'll jump to the TOD:

As a high school student, I joined the Columbia Record Club so a lot of my earliest record purchases were Columbia and its other labels like Epic.  I loved the Philadelphia Symphony, and one of my earliest recordings was the relatively unknown (at that time) CARMINA BURANA with Harve Presnell as the baritone soloist.  

I also liked RCA, mainly because they too had cast albums and the Chicago Symphony, not to mention great conductors like Pierre Monteaux and Fritz Reiner.  I always thought London Records were second-rate because their classical albums had the tackiest covers.  At that time, I only bought their Gilbert and Sullivan recordings because I looked so scornfully at their poor artistic choices in marketing.  Now I find those covers hysterically outrageous.   Thank God I have a mind to change.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 05:03:38 AM »

Oh, my will it be a slow day at HHW?

It's 7:59am and I'm the third post. I won't be posting much today since at 11:30 I'm checking out. I'll be on a train to Long Island and since I don't have a laptop with wireless internet I won't be posting on the train. I will be picked up by my husband at the train station and we will do some last minute shopping. We will have dinner, I will play with MacGregor and we will visit a dear friend. I'll pop in when I can but I don't promise much today or this weekend.

I've replaced the printer ribbon on the line printer so that (at least for a while) the computer printouts will be legible. Hope someone remembers to do that while I'm gone.

My Scenic Melbourne 2005 Calendar will be taken down from my office cubicle wall. Thanks Tom for the great images.

For Jane (and those others who don't want turkey tomorrow)   :D

Ben

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 05:04:43 AM »

Hello, Dear Friend Larry. Hope you enjoy tomorrow and that you get a chance to go to Fred and Skip's. We will raise a glass to our HHW friends tomorrow on Long Island.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 05:20:50 AM »

Hello, DRBen!  I hope you have a pleasant weekend on the Island of Long.  Give Anthony my love and I hope you both have a great Thanksgiving.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 05:26:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: PENULTIMATE!
I had a date once with with a girl named Penny Ultimate.  But it didn't last.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 05:36:51 AM »

Sorry to have been so E&T lately.  What with it being Thanksgiving week, we're quite busy at the store.  It's amazing how many people think Thanksgiving is all about the food.  Oh, wait...it really is all about the food.

One of the promotions we've had is the "Gimme 10" coupons.  Customers earned the coupons by buying a certain amount of groceries over a certain time period.  They can then use the coupons to get ten percent off any bill, and can use the coupons together to get 20%, 30%...up to 50% off.

Yesterday, I had a couple at my register, who had something like five grocery carts filled with groceries.  Their total bill ran to over $1300.  And yep, they had five of those "Gimme 10"s.  I had two other checkers helping with the bagging of all that booty.  And we were all getting off on the rush of that sale.

Off to work again: today is the really big day, the day before all those turkeys get roasted/fried/grilled/whatevered.  And I'm working tomorrow, as well; it'll be fun to see what sorts of stuff people need to pick up at the last minute.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 05:58:17 AM »

My favorite label is Twyckham Island.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 06:02:44 AM »

TOD:

As a youngen, record labels didn't mean much to me aside from a quick visual reference to recognize and sort from a bunch a records I might have had laying on the floor around the record player.  I wasn't concerned with labels until my teens when I started collecting cast recordings and I came to realize that Columbia put out the best recordings and packaging.  Even today, I give little thought about labels.  The exceptions being Sony and it's stupid malware (BTW, thanks for posing the link to how to return these CDs, DR Ben!)  and of course, Kritzerland--remember, if it says "Kritzerland" on the cover, you can be assured of the fine quality and endurance that makes a recording a pleasurable listening experience.

As far as favorite record label graphics go, I always liked the jazzy Atlantic label with it's huge A that looked cool as it spun round and round.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 06:25:12 AM »

Like Dan, I didn't pay much attention to labels. I knew that Columbia made many of the cast recordings but besides that I never bought, or didn't buy, a record because of a label.

Now, with rare exceptions like Kritzerland, most labels are part of bigger conglomerates anyway. That's why I was surprised when I looked at the Bette Midler Peggy Lee CD to find out it was one of the malware infected products. The CD says COLUMBIA all over. It's only when you turn the case over and look at the bottom back do you see the warning about copy protection and in very small print you see SONY/BMG.

Jason

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 06:29:30 AM »

I remember the Atlantic label from my 45 of Mr. Manilow's "Copacabana." Only the label was red and green, I think - not yellow. Barry was on the Atlantic label, wasn't he? Or am I imagining that? I dunno - I only had a brief encounter with LPs. Cassettes and CDs are really the media of my generation.

I enjoy the RCA logo. You know the one - the dog in front of the gramophone...?

The sky is absolutely as clear as can be today, but it's pretty cold. 28 degrees according to AOL. If it's like this tomorrow, I will most definitely be at the Zoo. I don't mind the cold. I just don't want it to rain!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 06:30:23 AM by Jason »

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 06:36:29 AM »

Comments on last night's AMAZING RACE.

I was a bit disappointed that they stayed in the US last night. There were a few more places that i'd heard they went, and for some reason I thought it would be last night. I was also upset that it was a non-elim. I wasn't sure it would be one, and I really wanted the weavers to go.

I am not too happy that the others teams are so mean to the weavers. However they annoy me.  Especially how they say they are so moral and christian, yet they constantly put down the other teams and are quite mean.

Does anyone know when the season finale is?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 06:43:30 AM »

Good morning!

I'm on earlier than usual because I had to get up earlier than usual to go to the dentist for check up and cleaning. Thankfully, all was AOK.

It is beautifully sunny outside but very cold and not supposed to warm up much today. Tomorrow is supposed to be at least ten degrees warmer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 06:44:52 AM »

Last night's AMAZING RACE

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]*********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  SPOILER ALERT  *********  [/move]

First of all, I have to say that preempting this show last week kind of lessened my interest in this race.  I almost forgot that it was on.  If it weren't for the Tivo recording light going on, I would have not watched it (*ahem!*) live.  But watch it I did and it didn't take long to invoke my involvement.

Of course, there was more driving, driving, driving, driving, driving, driving, driving, driving--but I'm used to that now.

I now want a bear!  I wonder how hard they are to housebreak?  Do you need to live near the woods?

The challenges weren't that difficult at all.  The helicopter ride to the top of the mesa was visually interesting, but really only acted as a bottleneck and felt like filler.  I liked the repelling down the cliffs, but the way they filmed it really didn't convey how it felt for any of the contestants except for the Linz sister.

And speaking of the Linz family--Hoo and Ray for them!  Finally coming in first!  I actually applauded and hooted when I saw that!

And I spit on the ground to curse the luck those Weavers had at the last minute.  And Gawd!  What is the matter with those people!  Don't they watch the dailies to see how they're acting?

And I still can't tell the Branson girls apart (one is very cute, but she still manages to merge with the other two when they are all in the same shot.)  And the Goldwolski's are also a muddle, though I can now pick out the big boned sister from the talky one.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 06:45:00 AM »

When I got in from the dentist, I flipped on the TV and DVR to see what had recorded yesterday (other than last night's prime time programs) that I had forgotten I had programmed:

THE IPCRESS FILE. Looking forward to seeing it sometime over the long holiday weekend. It's been decades since I've seen it even though the DVD was released some years ago. I never got it.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 06:47:10 AM »

While I was checking out the DVR, I noticed that TCM was playing the Marx Bros.' ANIMAL CRACKERS, so naturally I had to stop and watch it to the end even though I have the film on DVD (two different copies, as a matter of fact.)

Always hilarious.

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 06:49:39 AM »

I don't know from record labels.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 06:49:45 AM »

I, too, loved Columbia recordings. They always seemed to have the most vibrant stereo sound. RCA was fine, too.

I never much cared for Capitol cast albums. THE MUSIC MAN was the first stereo record on Capitol I ever had, and I always thought it sounded echoy and hollow. Other Capitol sets like GOLDEN BOY and FORUM were better, but never seem to match the thrilling sound on Columbia cast recordings.

(And, of course, we can never forgive Capitol for FOLLIES.)

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 06:52:23 AM »

I did not get any packages yesterday but am slated to get some DVDs today, and the Streisand TV-set should arrive Friday. Though I will have to pop into the grocery store on Friday to pick up a couple of things, it looks like I'm going to be camping out in front of my TV for the long holiday weekend.

Hooray!

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 07:00:58 AM »

I just popped over to DVD Verdict to see the list of DVD releases for next week, and I am THRILLED to say that there is not one thing coming out next week that I considered buying. (Well, CSI's 5th season I would like, but no way I'd pay anything CLOSE to what they're asking for it.)

That suits me fine since I WAY overspent this week and could use a break of a few weeks from buying anything.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 07:09:17 AM »

I've been playing with Google Book Search this morning and found that there seems to be a few glitches in the system.  I did a search on "Goddard Lieberson" and this link came up as part of the results set.

You will need a Google account to see the entire book excerpt, but you can still see the rather bizarre page that returns.

Gawd only know what would have come up if I searched on Joshua Logan.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 07:13:22 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 07:17:37 AM »

Ah-hah.  Have a great trip DR BEN & ANT.

And a safe drive to DR MBARNUM today!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 07:17:50 AM »

And all other traveling DR's, of course.

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 07:19:30 AM »

'morning!  Thanksgiving preparations are in full gear here and it's snowing!

TOD - Don't know much about labels, but I do remember an LP we had that was a demonstration of NEW STEREOPHONIC SOUND.  The record was translucent multi-colored.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005, 07:21:36 AM »

Wow!  Did any of you know that Leonard Maltin wrote a biography on Hans Conried?  238 pages and each page is double-columned!  Now that's a tribute!  I feel compelled to buy this book.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 07:22:10 AM »

I had a lot of Columbia 45's - Beatles and Beach Boys - the yellow and orange label...pretty cool.

I also like the Mercury black/red label with the little guy in the hat!

Motown was interesting.

I loved the Buena Vista albums - a rainbow type effect, although the 45's were all black with silver printing.

KAPP was interesting.

Columbia of course had that gray Cast Album label, although the red/black "eye" label was interesting.  Columbia had great Stereo as well.

Buena Vista had some good stereo on some of Annette's albums.  I think the stereo on the KAPP albums and the Warner Bros albums was great, too.  The Everly Bros albums for Warner Bros in the 1960's always sounded almost "live" in stereo!  

My favorite album - soundtrack - was ROME ADVENTURE on the WB label in fabulous stereo with an orchestra and bells and AL DI LA.  I still have it and play it now and then.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 07:23:43 AM »

Wow! This is on sale at EBAY now for 25 cents!  :o

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 07:26:24 AM »

Over Joan Rivers
And through James Woods
To Tom Smothers' house, we go!
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 07:28:22 AM »

And a safe drive to DR MBARNUM today!

Went on my drive last night after work...got mom back to Salem at 9 pm! Long trip...but had a good hamburger and cup of coffee in Rice Hill where I met my mom and brother Dan.

My mom is now a fan of Sergio Franchi, as his is one of the CDs we listened to on the way to Salem!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 07:28:40 AM by MBarnum »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up