Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI  (Read 30359 times)

MBarnum

Re:FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2003, 02:38:46 PM »

All worship Rama-God Matth!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2003, 02:39:25 PM »

There is a book on Perry Mason TV show. I have it. Can't recall the title off hand, but am thinking the author is Steven Cox.

The library where I work doesn't have the Stephen Cox Perry Mason book (although we do have other TV show books by him) but it does has this book:

"The Perry Mason TV show book : the complete story of America's favorite television lawyer" by two of his greatest fans, Brian Kelleher and Diana Merrill.  I t was published by St. Martin's Press in 1987.  The description reads:  Discusses the creation, production, characters, and 275 episodes of the mystery show featuring the popular fictitious lawyer.

And congratulations to HHW God #4, MATTH!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2003, 02:39:42 PM »

Who remembers the flavored straws you could buy to drink your milk with?

Just select a straw and sip away.

But it never worked very well, so far as I was concerned.  You'd get a taste of the flavor, but it didn't last, for some reason.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2003, 02:42:33 PM »

Now, when MattH takes a break, he's on a "divine intermission."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2003, 02:51:45 PM »

Who remembers flavor straws?  Well, just whip out your copy of Kritzerland and you'll see who remembers flavor straws.  You DO have Kritzerland, don't you?  And I'm telling you, Wacky Noodles doesn't look good on paper, but once you've actually tried them there is no turning back.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2003, 03:00:02 PM »

Dear Readers--I think my job interview went fairly well this morning.  So, please send good vibes my way and cross all your bodily digits and extremities in the hope that I get invited back for the next step in the selection process.

Dear Reader Tom from Oz--That Mendelssohn fellow should have done more film scores, I think.

Regarding shopping on Black Friday--Several years ago, my brother was to be married in early January and my mother needed a dress for the occasion.  My mother does not drive, and the only way for her to get to the stores was if I chauffeured.  The only date that worked on our schedules to go shopping for said dress was the day after Thanksgiving.  The first dress we saw at the first store we stopped at was quite lovely, I thought, but, of course, we had to see what else was available.  So after schlepping from here to there and from there to here with all the other holiday shoppers, what dress did my beloved mother select?  You got it!  The first one we saw.  To this day I remind dear mum that I have yet to forgive her for that ordeal.   ;)

Dear Reader Ben--Must report that I missed the show with Lorna Luft while it was here.  The reviews were glowing, though.

Re milk--If it isn't made with U-bet syrup, it's not chocolate milk.  Add seltzer, and you've got a bona fide egg cream.  (Ahhh, Brooklyn.  The motherland.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 03:01:53 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2003, 03:00:26 PM »

Actually the wacky noodles sound quite tasty to me! Especially all tha sour cream! Yummmmm!  :o

Doesn't sound too healthy, but what that heck! I'm gonna make some this weekend I think!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2003, 03:03:09 PM »

Yakky doodle went to town
a-barfing on his pony
Pointed to a pile of yak
and called it macaroni!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2003, 03:04:34 PM »

Yes, I remember those flavor straws, but they ran out of flavor before you ran out of milk.

DR Ron, do you remember Captain Midnight on TV, sponsored by Ovaltine?

Thanks you so much, DR George, with the PERRY MASON TV book info. I'd love to have this book. Now to go search for it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2003, 03:09:25 PM »

Pasta recipe (adapted from Marcella Hazan):

[NB:  This recipe has NOT been approved by the American Heart Association]

Break up about a pound of sweet Italian sausage into small pieces and place in a large frying pan.  Add one onion, coarsely diced, and saute, stirring all the while, until the sausage is browned and the onions translucent.  Add one cup heavy whipping cream and stir over low heat, just until the cream begins to bubble.  Add cracked pepper to taste (I like a lot!) and stir.  While you've been cooking this sauce, you have also been cooking rotelli to the al dente stage.  Pour the sauce over the pasta in a large bowl and toss.  Buon appetito!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 04:29:04 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2003, 03:10:20 PM »

The Wacky Noodles sounds pretty good to me too.  :P

And since I do have a container of sour cream in the fridge... Hmm...

As for chocolate milk, I went through phases that were mainly determined by what was on sale that week at the store - and/or what my parents put in the shopping cart that week.  I think I drank more Nestle's Quik growing up, but I have always loved Ovaltine - especially warm/hot - and Hershey's and milk is good too.  *And they have GREEN Hershey's now too - ????  *I always liked "experimenting to see just how much Quik and/or Ovaltine you could or could not dissolve in a glass of milk.  And did anyone else pour in more milk if there was some "sludge" at the bottom of the glass.

Well... I've been sitting here on the couch, watching TV and surfing the web since my last post... And now I think I'm going to take a short nap before heading out to dinner... just that kind of lazy day.   :) ::)

Oh, and Lorna Luft's show was also done here in Richmond at the University of Richmond.  I think she premiered it here - ??? - or at least some form of it.  She performed it in conjunction with her appearance as Mama Rose in Gypsy a UR.

Well, I'm off to Nap-land... I guess that comes after Lap-land and Map-land...  Oap-land - ????
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2003, 03:11:41 PM »

MMMM, Nestle's Quick. Yummm. Although I only like Chocolate. For some reason, I abhor Strawberry Quick. Just the sight of a glass makes my stomach do flip-flops. Milk should only be straight up or chocolate (in my humble opinion)

Straight milk, Ben, as opposed to homo milk?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2003, 03:14:08 PM »

Yes, Virginia, there's three or four pages in Kritzerland devoted to Flavor Straws.

Good vibes and good xylophones to dear reader Jay.

Which brings me to dear reader Sandra's one post today, which consisted of one word: Oy.  We need at least three words in every post, Sandra.  For example, you could have posted three oys and that would have been fine.  Two oys is not fine, nor is one.  One oy will simply not do.  Or at least put a vey with it.  Of course, you'd still need one more word, perhaps oy vey hey or oy vey day or oy vey way.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2003, 03:14:33 PM »

I thought some of you nostalgia buffs might enjoy seeing this pic.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2003, 03:14:42 PM »

Welcome to GodLand, DR MATTH!  It is wonderful and we await the anointing of others!   8)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~![/move]

There are good VIBES for DR Jay on his job interview outcome!

MR BK - I don't have You Bet Your Life the box set, but I did finally get the Navarre disk....and one guest is Mr Herbert Rudnick who says he was co-owner of Willie's Delicatessen on Fairfax.....did you or Benjamin Kritzer ever dine there?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2003, 03:15:40 PM »

What is Neely O'Hara's first husband doing wearing a badge?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2003, 03:15:46 PM »

Jay's recipe is yummiliscious sounding and must be tried, perhaps this weekend.

MBarnum

« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2003, 03:28:57 PM »

JRand53, did your Navarre YOU BET YOUR LIFE disk have the Fay Spain episode? It is pretty funny. Last night I finished off my Navarre DVD and the last one had Joanne Lee of THE BRAIN EATERS and PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE fame (and who passed away last month of bone cancer). She was fun and pretty darn smart! Hey, wait, isn't that the Fairfax delicatessan episode? Hmmmm. Well, anyway, she mentions that she is an actress and just made a couple of science fiction movies (didn't name them, however).

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2003, 03:32:00 PM »

After Neely told him "You're not the breadwinner either," he had to do SOMETHING!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2003, 03:33:04 PM »

Don't remember Willie's delicatessan.  We ate at The Bagel, on Fairfax, and so, coincidentally, did Benjamin Kritzer.

Emily

« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2003, 03:34:20 PM »

Jay's recipe is yummiliscious sounding and must be tried, perhaps this weekend.

I think BK will be spending his entire weekend making and eating pasta.  :P

The Wacky Pasta Recipe is making me ill just at the thought of it.  I can't even LOOK at sour cream without getting nauseous.  

Speaking of which, Chanukah is right around the corner (it would of course take the goyishe girl here to bring that up).  How do you all like your latkes?  Applesauce or sour cream?  Traditional potato or newfangled carrot or sweet potato?  Fried or baked?

I like latkes a lot.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 03:34:49 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2003, 03:35:26 PM »

are latkes available in the Subway diet?

where's Jared when you need him! ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jed

« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2003, 03:37:21 PM »

Mmm... loves me some good pasta (but really, who doesn't?).  Sometimes I'll go the DR George route and just dump some jar of marinara sauce on some noodles, but more often I'll do a simple little something myself.  Sometimes saute some mushrooms and garlic to top the pasta with a bit of olive oil.  Maybe a little lemon dill butter sauce.  I think tonight's dinner may be some spaghetti with my grandmother's homemade pesto sauce (I often include some shrimp with this, but I don't have any at the moment).

Wacky noodles don't sound that bad to me at all.  Heck, I tried slog and chips with frosting, I'll give wacky noodles a try!  (Note to self - get some more sour cream)

Charles Pogue - Never been to Cincinnati, but I have actually had a Cinci-style four-way before!  Saw something about it somewhere, and made it... surprisingly good, I thought!

Milk - I go through phases with milk.  I'll go for a few weeks without drinking a glass of it, then I'll go through the stuff like crazy for awhile.  Always been a 1% guy, myself.  Of course, chocolate milk is divine... Hershey's preferable, but Nestle Quik totally acceptable.  While not a particular favorite, I don't mind an occasional bit of the strawberry stuff just for a change of pace.  I don't know from Ovaltine.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2003, 03:40:50 PM »

....and Hershey's and milk is good too.  *And they have GREEN Hershey's now too - ????  *I always liked "experimenting to see just how much Quik and/or Ovaltine you could or could not dissolve in a glass of milk.  And did anyone else pour in more milk if there was some "sludge" at the bottom of the glass.

I didn't pour in more milk.  I liked that last bit of "sludge" at the bottom for a super concentrated jolt of choco-liciousness.  

And about the GREEN Hershey's syrup.  I bought a bottle of the Hulk movie tie-in green Hershey's chocolate syrup (it was on sale--I never saw the movie).  I would eat a spoonful of it by itself and it tasted just like the regular chocolate syrup, except that it was a very dark green.  If you mixed it with milk you got green milk, but it was more of a dark olive green, not the bright green like the bottle.  One thing that I found out by eating the undiluted syrup is that the body processess the stuff as food, not a liquid.  I thought that my pee would be green, but it wasn't...if you know what I mean!   :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Emily

« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2003, 03:41:16 PM »

Skim milk and Nestle CHOCOLATE Quik (or Nesquik as it is now known) got me through high school.  I used to have that every morning while reading the paper and scoffing at my immature little sister who would be eating something baby-ish like porridge or Shreddies. :)

Emily

« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2003, 03:41:58 PM »

george thanks for that lovely image
:P

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2003, 03:44:47 PM »

I hated any chocolate milks that had to be stirred from a syrup or a powder.  There is a great low-fat chocolate milk out now that comes through different dairy distributors depending on what part of the country you're from...It's called CHUG.  It's deeelicious!  Unfortunately, LA has apparently lost its distributor (used to be Altadena).  I can't find it anywhere in the area anymore.

I never shop on the day after Thanksgiving.  I've gotten much more claustrophobic in my old age.  I can't stand crowds...maybe I've just gotten more anti-social.  Also the nice thing about being a writer, I can go on a Tuesday in the morning and other low traffic times.  I never have to do the weekend shop thing.

But mostly, by Thanksgiving, my lovely wife, Julieanne, has done the bulk of the Christmas shopping (which she does all year round) and except for a few odds and ends, it's done.  And thankfully the nieces and nephews have all gotten to the point where they just want a cheque.  When they get married and start their own families, then I'm cutting them all off my list.

George

« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2003, 03:45:02 PM »

george thanks for that lovely image
:P

I just had to share...and remember what Schoolhouse Rock teaches, Knowledge Is Power!

Jed

« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2003, 03:48:11 PM »

Finally got to see part of my A Christmas Carol costume last night.  I'm playing the Ghost of Christmas Present (as is DR Matthew) and Mr. Fezziwig (as is DR Jason), and they're doing a whole Henry VIII thing for my ghost costume.  

I get a tan tunic with all sorts of jewels adorning it, black tights and slippers, and tonight they may have my cape ready (either purple or maroon, can't remember).  I must say, the just-above-knee-length tunic is the most comfortable costume I've had since Brigadoon... Who needs pants?  Not me!!!  :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2003, 03:50:15 PM »

S. Woody To The Rescue!

I found this over at a part of the Sondheim.com site that hasn't crashed:

The Real A's Wacky Noodles

And while you're making Wacky Noodles, you can listen to The Manhattan Transfer's song, WACKY DUST! (of course it has a totally different connotation, but still it's Wacky):

WACKY DUST
By Stanley Adams & Oscar Levant

They call it wacky dust
It's from a hot cornet
It gives your feet a feeling so breezy
And oh, it's so easy to get

They call it wacky dust
It brings a dancing jag
And once it starts, then only a
Sap'll refuse to Big Apple or Shag

Oh I don't know just why
It gets you so high
Putting a buzz in you heart
You'll do a marathon
You'll wanna go on
Kickin' the ceilin' apart

They call it wacky dust
It's something you can't trust
And in the end the rhythm will stop
When it does, then you'll drop
From happy wacky dust

(Instrumental)

Oh we don't know just why
It gets you so high
Putting a buzz in you heart
You'll do a marathon
You'll wanna go on
Kickin' the ceilin' apart

They call it wacky dust
It's something you can't trust
And in the end the rhythm will stop
When it does, then you'll drop
From happy wacky dust

I just love this song!   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up