Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI  (Read 30069 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI
« on: November 24, 2003, 12:07:42 AM »

Well, even though we had 144 posts, which isn't bad for a Sunday, I'm hoping we can make up for such a low number (yes, I'm sorry, you haz spoilt me) by posting until the cows come home.  So, get to it, now that you've read the notes, of course.  

« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 12:12:55 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 12:15:14 AM »

Well, I had a post for "yesterday's" notes, but since I took so long composing them, by the time I hit "Post", I was not allowed to do so since the topic was locked... Of course, my original post was lost in ether.. ah, well...

So...

Good shows today.  Stephen Schwartz was at the matinee.  My brother and his wife and some friends of theirs came to the evening show.  Big pizza party after the show tonight for the closing night of Proof, and the end of the first week of Camelot.  "Adult Beverages" were served, but I abstained since I had a drive back to Richmond ahead of me.

Good drive back.  No accidents, just some fog and some deer running across the highway.

Congrats to DR Jason!

Well, I'm tired...  And I would have been at the chat if I was able to, but since I wasn't...

See you in the morning.. or the afternoon... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 12:16:37 AM »

Of course, my "original" post was a bit less succint, but...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 12:31:28 AM »

I am quite fond of Italian food but my experience has been to let Colin cook it for me or to go to an Italian Restaurant. I now have thoughts of that delightful movie "Breaking Away". I guess some will see the connection.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 02:35:42 AM »

Here's something that relates to all the posts so far: I was on my way to a screening of Breaking Away when I got my one and only speeding ticket, on the Sepulveda Pass.  They clocked me at 71, and I had to go to some sort of school as my punishment.

I love Paul Dooley's line "That cat's name is Jake."  Indeed, my father has a more meat-and-potatoes name for the cat we gave him, Friedrich.  Some DRs may remember that Friedrich was rescued from his sad haunts near the Carousel Dinner Theatre in Akron, OH during one of DW Joy's spells in The Sound of Music.  He was named after a character in the show.  But that's too fancy for Dad, who calls him Fred.

"Confuse-a-cat" was a good Monty Python bit, no?

My recipe is very simple.  Melt a whole lot of butter in a pan.  Drop in bay scallops, the small kind.  Add tarragon and stir until cooked.  Then dump the whole thing over some fresh angel hair.  Voila!

Now, wasn't that easy?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 03:06:21 AM »

Mmmmm...DR Noel, we're going to the grocery store today, and now we may just have to pick up some scallops.  You really prefer BAY scallops to SEA scallops, though?

Simple recipe:  Lightly brown some grated mizithra cheese in a pan with some olive oil and minced garlic (don't worry; mizithra cheese is so dry that it will stay crumbly, it won't melt).  Spray cooked and drained pasta (spaghetti or angel hair is best) with more olive oil.  Add mizithra cheese and lightly toss to mix.  

This stuff is addictive!

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Danise

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 03:45:14 AM »

Morning all!  A short week ahead and a vacation week after that--Life is GOOD!

Have a happy and safe day all--Lurkers included because they need to have a happy and safe day too.  Since they lurk and don't post, if something happened to them,  how would we know?

Danise
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 04:25:57 AM »

Take one glass of milk and a heaping teapsoon of Nestle's Quik and you got chocolate Milk. MMMMMMMMMMM
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 05:46:35 AM »

Sorry for my errantness and truantness this weekend. We was busy, what can I say. I sit here at work thinking, Monday, Tuesday and then 11:30 Wednesday and I'm done. Great for me, but I think it will mean more errantness and truantness for me as well, since I won't be around a computer as much.

Congrats Jason on the job.

Watched Relative Values on Saturday (the Julie Andrews, Jeanne Tripplehorne, Colin Firth movie that was never released in the U.S.). Not bad, certainly not terrible, but not bad. I now have to go back and re-read (or read) the Coward play on which it was based. I don't remember ever reading Relative Values and I'm a big Coward fan. It's a slight little film with a good performance by Dame Julie and some nice background music. If you come across it at your library (that's where we found it on VHS) or somewhere else, it would be a diversion.

My battles with Time-Warner Cable of New York City continue. I hope to have them resolved by tonight when I speak to a "customer service" representative. Customer service is such a relative term.

Oh, well. That's it for now. I hope to be back in a while.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 05:49:49 AM »

MMMM, Nestle's Quick. Yummm. Although I only like Chocolate. For some reason, I abhor Strawberry Quick. Just the sight of a glass makes my stomach do flip-flops. Milk should only be straight up or chocolate (in my humble opinion)

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 05:51:35 AM »

Where are all the east coast people??? It's 8:48am and not a soul but me. It's also taking an extraordinarily long time for each post to post. Maybe it's my service at work.

I am off to listen to the Broadway Radio Show.

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 06:07:49 AM »

I am not lurking.  I am merely trying to catch up on the all the posts for the last few days.  God forbid I should miss a word from a dear reader.  Just when I thnk I can skip a page or two, I read a reference to something and have to go back and read what I  missed.  Oy!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 06:10:00 AM »

I agree with Ben--- milk should not be anyting but palin or chocolate.   No strawberry Quik for me. It even smells weird--- one of those cases where the laboratory didn't succeed.
I like boat races.

HollyLynn

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 07:10:12 AM »

I'm a fan of pasta with any type of pesto based sauce.  Linguini with red clam sauce (Johnnie's in NYC has the best red clam sauce I've ever had) isn't bad.  I won't turn down a hearty meat sause with Itailain sausage.

Now I feel like watching the Stanley Tucci move w/ Isabella Rossilini.  I cant remember the title...help!  :o

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 07:15:22 AM »

Mmmmm...DR Noel, we're going to the grocery store today, and now we may just have to pick up some scallops.  You really prefer BAY scallops to SEA scallops, though?

I may have my terminology wrong: Whichever is the small kind.  As this is a pasta meal, your shellfish needs to be bite-sized, even when forked with angel hair.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 07:52:35 AM »

Lovely chat last night! ;D

Harry Hamlin at the Farmer's Market?  That would never happen in Indiana.  Although I did see Elvis at the gasoline station last summer, I am sure it was he.

MATTH - I think maybe RR did think the majority of her vocals were used....may even have been told so...and since what is on the soundtrack is different, she may have recorded even more work tracks than the ones that are there.  As you say, she may have had Kirk's tracks to mouth to - but she writes that after she saw the finished film - she pleaded that the dubbed tracks be replaced.  It's a strange situation.  But if RR had a fight with Jack Warner....my money would be on Warner.

Recipes:  well I only deal with food on the table, don't cook much.  But any type of pasta alfredo with chicken is fine with me!

This recipe seems pretty close to how I would make it:

http://www.justgreatrecipes.com/recipe.asp?res=133

And for Monday - here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 08:03:58 AM »

Oh, gosh, yes, DR JRand, Jack Warner never lost a battle in his life as far as a movie was concerned. Sometimes he was right, but often he was wrong ("Cool Considerate Men" from 1776).

I have never been a milk person. I was forced to drink it as a kid until I went away to college. The first weekend I came back from college (where I had started drinking iced tea with meals), my mom sat a glass of milk in front of me, and I said, I don't drink milk any more. Broke my mother's heart, but it was a great first step of independence for me. So, I haven't had a dozen glasses of milk in my life since then. But if I HAVE to drink milk, I would prefer that it be chocolate. Chocolate makes everything better, I've found.

I have no pasta recipes to share. I make a very tasty but simple spaghetti sauce to serve over simple spaghetti, but it's nothing fancy. My ex-lover used to do a zuchini lasagna that was wonderful (better than it sounds, I promise), but he made it and I never got the recipe.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 08:05:56 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 08:04:32 AM »

We've got big news coming about one of our favorite people.  Although with this number of posts, it seems no one will be here to read it.  But traffic is dreary all over the Internet this fine morning, not that we like to be like everyone else.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2003, 08:09:13 AM »

Does anyone go out and brave the stores on the Friday after Thanksgiving? I've done it once in my life when Best Buy was offering the collector's edition of APOLLO 13 for some insane price, but you had to get it before noon. I got there about 9 o'clock in the morning, and it took more an hour in the checkout line to get the items I bought paid for.

Never again!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2003, 08:09:37 AM »

Just finished listening to the Radio Show. Quite enjoyable, although I wasn't able to listen to Miss Luker. For some reason, I got an error for that stream. I was able to listen to everything else (with the looonnnggg pauses between streams, explained by Mr. Bakalor this weekend). What am I thankful for this year? Besides the obvious, I'm thankful for the Broadway Radio Show which brings us new treats every week!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2003, 08:11:37 AM »

My favorite pasta dish to make (and eat) is linguini with fresh pesto and pan seared shrimp in a secret formula mixture that only I know about.  Perhaps I shall post the formula on here one day..

perhaps...

Ben

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2003, 08:12:50 AM »

I rarely go out on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving, called that because so many stores do well on that day). I am not a fan of shopping amongst crowds. This Friday we will spend the day with friends and then in the evening Anthony has a late booking for a clown show. It's a surprise for a 9-year old's slumber/birthday party. When we go shopping or to the post office to mail off presents to Minnesota it will be on Saturday or Monday. We will avoid those crazed crowds looking for the next Tickle Me Elmo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2003, 08:14:11 AM »

Share the Big News, please, Mr BK!

Oh DR MATTH - once my sister Molly, her husband Jason, and I went to Midnight Madness at Wal-Mart which occurs at Midnight on Thanksgiving Day...or 12:01 am on the Friday!  It is aptly named...and as you said NEVER AGAIN!!!

Hey!  Look what will be released on DVD on January 6 2004!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 08:14:35 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2003, 08:15:51 AM »

Recipes, that's what we need.  It's funny, people want these topics and then those that want them never show up the day I do them.  Of course, the question is where is WEL to reprint my recipe for Wacky Noodles?  WEL was gone all weekend.  WEL may WEL be bitch-slapped from here to eternity.  And then there is dear reader Laura, where is dear reader Laura?  I'm sure she'll have a recipe or two.  And her lovely daughter Gyp...Sandra.  Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Ben

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2003, 08:16:33 AM »

While we eat pasta, we rarely do anything special to it. Anthony's mother has a great recipe for Pasta et Fagioli (pasta and beans, carbs and protein). I like Carbonara dishes and I like pesto if it's not heavily garlicky. I'm one of the few people in the world (it seems that way anyway) who doesn't enjoy so much garlic that you can smell it from the kitchen as the waitperson brings your food. A hint of garlic is enough for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2003, 08:16:54 AM »

Love Where the Boys Are.  Those who've read Kritzerland know why.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2003, 08:18:02 AM »

Carbonara is my fave.  Let's have a good carbonara recipe, shall we?  I have no doubt I will be eating pasta today.

Ben

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2003, 08:18:35 AM »

Dolores Hart and Paula Prentiss, two wonderful actresses! Does any DR reader remember the short-lived television series (was it the 60s or early 70s) starrring Paula and her husband Richard Benjamin called, I think, He and She?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2003, 08:19:47 AM »

I think we need an artwork of a lady in a bathtub with green soap.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2003, 08:30:50 AM »

I certainly watched He and She.

What prompted our pose on the agape photo?  Look carefully: DR Joy is tickling me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up