Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEW  (Read 17792 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:WHEW
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2005, 08:22:36 PM »

I started my evening of DVD entertainment with REBECCA OF SUNNYBROOK FARM. I think Fox must have gotten a hint about the lackluster quality of those earlier Shirley DVDs because this DVD looks terrific. The transfer has no flaws to speak of, and the contrast on the B&W picture is perfection. Sharp and with clear sound.

It's not my favorite Shirley Temple picture, but this transfer is so good it's worth seeing many times.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2005, 08:23:43 PM »

Now we'll have our Ricky Ricardo Hollywood Star Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2005, 08:28:03 PM »

Then, wanting to see something in color, I went to the to-watch shelf and selected a DVD that's been sitting there for over two years - THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE.

I haven't seen this movie since it premiered in theaters in the 1970s, so this was a pleasant reunion for me.

No, the Sherman score isn't as memorable as MARY POPPINS (few original scores are), but it's OK, and Richard Chamberlain and Gemma Craven have lovely singing voices.

The DVD was enhanced for widescreen TVs, and the color is rich looking in most of the scenes in the first hour that I watched. There was some speckling and I noticed a few light scratches here and there, but nothing really awful thus far, no terrible print damage. The Dolby 5.1 is VERY robust on the DVD; I was quite impressed with that.

I'll look forward to finishing it tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2005, 08:29:06 PM »

Once again, the NFL game on CBS ran far over its allotted time, so I didn't get to see COLD CASE tonight. I'll catch a rerun at some future date.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2005, 08:31:17 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES certainly had an important episode with all of the major characters making VERY important decisions that will affect the rest of the season. This was NOT an episode that could ever be accused of simply marking time.

Only Susan's story didn't catch my fancy. All of the other three wives are embroiled in VERY interesting scenarios now.

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2005, 08:32:28 PM »

That is why Matt Bogart's name sounded familiar! Whilst perusing CDs on CDbaby.com I saw a CD by Matt Bogart. I listened to the clips and kept wondering where I had heard that name before. Now I know.

I did not buy the CD, but he does have a nice singing voice...among other things, evidently.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2005, 08:32:49 PM »

CROSSING JORDAN had a tense episode I was really enjoying until a very contrived last quarter hour. Then, what was gripping turned predictable and melodramatic in the worst way. That was a disappointment after such a smashingly good set-up for the drama.

François de Paris

« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2005, 08:32:53 PM »

I am thinking about seeing WALK THE LINE this week as DR CILLALIZ.  I like Joaquin Phoenix a lot.

I used to think the world of his brother, River, (What a promissing actor! Saw him in "I Love You To Death" the other day on TV. Had never seen that before!) until he had to do that drug thing to himself! Dreadful!

We lost him and he lost everything!

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2005, 08:34:32 PM »

I'd say "Mystery in Wax," "The Deserted Village," and "The Haunted Lighthouse" were my three favorites from the first season of SUPERMAN. I can remember as a kid that these three shows plus "The Unholy Three" scared me to death.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2005, 08:37:47 PM »

Have finished Mr. Joseph Young.

Jose: What is a day off?  Never heard of it.

François de Paris

« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2005, 08:39:53 PM »

Then, wanting to see something in color, I went to the to-watch shelf and selected a DVD that's been sitting there for over two years - THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE.

I haven't seen this movie since it premiered in theaters in the 1970s, so this was a pleasant reunion for me.

No, the Sherman score isn't as memorable as MARY POPPINS (few original scores are), but it's OK, and Richard Chamberlain and Gemma Craven have lovely singing voices.

Angela Morley's arrangements are exquisite and the film itself is a visual beauty!And what a very different way of retelling the story of Cinderella!

Before the movie, that version was to be a stage vehicule for Twiggy and  Tommy Tune in London, if memory serves me right, or something close to that!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2005, 08:46:35 PM »

Jose: What is a day off?  Never heard of it.

Well, since you're more or less a "boss" nowadays and not an employee...

:P

But I do believe you have had a few days of "having to do nothing" in your recent past, so, I believe those could qualify as days off.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 08:50:13 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2005, 08:47:50 PM »

Never fear, dear TCB, I am here to post about the DVDs and TV shows I have watched tonight. It's a fair list of titles.

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Matt.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »

That is why Matt Bogart's name sounded familiar! Whilst perusing CDs on CDbaby.com I saw a CD by Matt Bogart. I listened to the clips and kept wondering where I had heard that name before. Now I know.

I did not buy the CD, but he does have a nice singing voice...among other things, evidently.

Yes, Matt Bogart has many nice things.  The "bumps" on his arms and chest are particularly nice.

;D

I'm sure I could scrounge up a CD for you if you'd like.  Maybe even get it autographed for you.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2005, 08:51:48 PM »

Well, I'm more than a bit tired, and the headache that started around 3:00 this afternoon still has yet to abate.  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2005, 08:53:03 PM »

...Oh, and if you'd like to find out more about him - and see more pics - just check out...

www.mattbogart.com
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2005, 09:03:10 PM »

Angela Morley's arrangements are exquisite and the film itself is a visual beauty!And what a very different way of retelling the story of Cinderella!

Before the movie, that version was to be a stage vehicule for Twiggy and  Tommy Tune in London, if memory serves me right, or something close to that!

I agree. A nice change of pace to see much more from the Prince's point of view.

Oh, lord, I would NOT have wanted to see those two play Cinderella and Prince Charming. But, they did pull off MY ONE AND ONLY, so what do I know?

Jason

« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2005, 09:06:01 PM »

I had a loverly dinner with Matt Bogart one night while he was doing 110 IN THE SHADE in DC. The ever-lovely Jaqui Piro supped with us, as well. Matt ordered a large plate of nachos and, on a dare, lowered his face into the platter and ate a very large dollop of sour cream. And before I left (with my friend, his agent) he gave me a big hug, which was quite nice since it was the only time I'd ever met him.

I have had a very relaxing weekend. Lots of sleep, lots of movies and a moderate amount of foodstuffs.

Today, because I had little else to do in the afternoon, I headed into Manhattan to visit the Central Park Zoo. It is free for me now, afterall. It was a lovely day and I saw some fun animals. Even though the Central Park Zoo is a prettier landscape, I much prefer the Bronx Zoo for their variety.

Anywho, today I took a walk through Central Park and this is what I saw:

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »

Thanks for that website link to Matt Bogart, DR Jose. I enjoyed touring the site just now.

Jason

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »

And this...

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2005, 09:08:53 PM »

And now, I'm heading for bed.

Good night to one and all!

Jason

« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2005, 09:09:03 PM »

And finally, this...

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2005, 09:09:18 PM »

Love the pics, DR Jason!

Jason

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2005, 09:11:28 PM »

OK...one more:

MBarnum

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2005, 09:21:57 PM »

Yes, Matt Bogart has many nice things.  The "bumps" on his arms and chest are particularly nice.

;D

I'm sure I could scrounge up a CD for you if you'd like.  Maybe even get it autographed for you.

:)

Wow, DR Jose, that would be downright hospitable of you!

MBarnum

« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2005, 09:24:15 PM »

Thanks for the pics DR Jason! Gosh but I sure wish I had not passed up the zoo visit when I was there!

Those animals are beautiful! Particularly loved the seal.

François de Paris

« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2005, 09:36:40 PM »

Thanks for the pics DR Jason! Gosh but I sure wish I had not passed up the zoo visit when I was there!

Those animals are beautiful! Particularly loved the seal.

Yes, that zoo does have a seal of quality!! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2005, 09:59:52 PM »

I had a loverly dinner with Matt Bogart one night while he was doing 110 IN THE SHADE in DC.

Wow!

That Matt B. is quite something! He can dine with DR Jason AND do a show at the same time! ;) ;D

td

• td
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2005, 10:20:30 PM »

Wow!

That Matt B. is quite something! He can dine with DR Jason AND do a show at the same time! ;) ;D

It must have been during act one's picnic scene.

(and so glad you could finally rejoin us, dr francois)!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2005, 10:27:44 PM »

Still slogging through the Gower Champion biography, which grows more infuriating with each passing chapter.  So many inaccuracies, so poorly written, and so contradictory - one minute Gower's staging of The Happy Time is the most brilliant thing that ever happened in the theater, then next, it's dwarfing the little story and it's not working, and then it's brilliant, and then it's not.  Note to author: Tommy Valando was not the guy who produced all those records - Mr. Valando is in the music publishing business.  Note to author: Don Walker isn't an "arranger" he's an orchestrator.  Many typos, and just sloppy.  Of course, if you've read the comments of the kiddies on various boards, it's GREAT.  Sorry, not so.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up