Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEW  (Read 17954 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:WHEW
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 08:49:24 AM »

I, too, thought SPAMALOT was every bit as hilarious if not more so than THE PRODUCERS.

Has Hank Azaria returned to the show?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2005, 08:50:15 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Two SURPRISE Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2005, 08:51:32 AM »

Off to start prepping lunch now and then settling in for some video variety.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2005, 09:05:28 AM »

Sunday greetings from dreary SW Ohio.  The holiday weekend festivities continued for us last night, when my sister and her husband hosted a dinner at our local Italian cafe and then we all came back to our house to celebrate my mother's 87th birthday, which is actually today.

This afternoon, DH Richard, DS Rob, and I will attend an Eagle Scout Court of Honor, after which DH will go off to a shape-note sing and I will take DS back to UC.

We are now in the season during which, every time I leave the house, I have to think, "What food item and/or gift to I need to take on this trip?"  Today, it's a gift for the Eagle Scout; tomorrow, it's a pecan pie for the covered dish lunch at work; Wednesday, it's a cheese ball and crackers for a professional organization board meeting.  I love the holiday season, but there sure are a lot of logistics!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2005, 09:15:01 AM »

TOD - It will come as no surprise that many of my sports memories revolve around college, especially Michigan Wolverine, football.  The Michigan/Ohio State game in 1969, played in Ann Arbor, was pretty exciting, because UM was the underdog and the Rose Bowl hung in the balance.  We won, and tore down the goal posts.  Several years later, my parents and I took a trip to southern California and attended the Rose Bowl on January 1, 1972; Michigan lost to Stanford, but it was fun to be there.

It's very hard for me to admit this, but probably the most exciting game I've ever watched on TV was the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago in which Ohio State won the national championship in triple overtime.  The day before that game was the only time in my life I've ever said, "Go Bucks!"

On the figure skating scene, in 1987 the World Championships were held in Cincinnati and the Soviet team was housed at Miami University.  After my teaching day was over, I went to the ice arena and watched the ice dance practice, which was a thrill.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2005, 09:28:25 AM »

Here is a link to John Gabriel's CD.

He also played the professor on the pilot episode of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND and appeared on many soap operas.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007TNG/qid=1133112488/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-1109951-8158567?v=glance&s=music

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2005, 09:31:57 AM »

DR MattH, re: Veronica Mars do you really think they are going to let us solve a mystery? For some reason I think it will be something much less interesting.

Although if you think back to the season finale of season one.  We didn't know who the killer was right up till the very end!

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2005, 09:33:43 AM »

I like sports although I don't go to that many games/events live or watch them on tv.  I love the Olympics.  And I do really enjoy the NFL and MLB (major league baseball).  I have been to many baseball games and hockey games.  Only one NFL game though. But I loved it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2005, 09:49:13 AM »

Had another nice sleep and am up now and ready to greet the day.  "Hello, day!"  Well, I greeted the day and the day, rather rudely, did not greet me back.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2005, 09:49:27 AM »

Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2005, 09:57:06 AM »

Danise thanks for emailing and checking on me.

Hi everyone.  I’m just a bit overwhelmed with the kitchen right now.  I haven’t even walked for two days, which I am about to correct.  I should have gone hours ago before the sun came out and the snow began to melt.  By the time I get out there it will be a slushy mess.

We saw Goblet of Fire on Thanksgiving and missed the crowds.  We both felt it was the best one so far.  Recalling the posts I grabbed a Kleenex on our way out the door. :)  After the movie we went to a restaurant in a converted train depot.  Dinner was excellent and we had a great time with our friends who organized the activities at my suggestion.

Happy birthday divarobbi.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »

Hi, Jane, it's so nice to have you back where you belong (a Hello, Dolly reference)

Hope your kitchen difficulties work out - I know from experience how disconcerting it can be to have your kitchen torn up during the holidays.  Ours was a mess from Dec. 15-24 several years ago.  Your day at the movies and train station/restaurant sounds like a fun alternative!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2005, 10:26:28 AM »

I've never been a big sports fan though as a youth I played some baseball and did a couple of years on the High School Football and Track team (our high school football team was very good and made state year after year; I wasn't very good).  I was an excellent swimmer though never did this competitively.

I went to the University of Kentucky, one of the great basketball schools of all-time, and never went to a game.

I DO like to watch baseball though and most of my memories are around that.  I can remember going out to Crosley Field in my early youth andseeing Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson, Gus Bell, and the Big Klu...Ted Kluzewski...play.  Klu always cut off the sleeves of his uniform to free up his swing.  I remember a wild double-header with the Pirates where Dick Stuart hit, I believe, four home runs in the two games.

I was at the famous Giant-Dodger play-off game where Jack Clark hit the home-run that gave the Giants the chance to go on to the world series (or was it St. Louis?  I remember the home-run, but I can't remember who Clark was playing for at the time?)

When the Angels got in the series a couple of years ago, my business manager got a mess of tickets for a game and we all rode down from LA in a limo.  That was an experience.  My one and only World Series game.

I remember the the back-to-back World Series win of the Reds on TV and their wire-to-wire season win and four-game sweep of the Athletics in 1990...Sadly, the last time they played in a series.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2005, 10:29:56 AM »

I remember the the back-to-back World Series win of the Reds on TV and their wire-to-wire season win and four-game sweep of the Athletics in 1990...Sadly, the last time they played in a series.

DR Charles Pogue - our son was in pre-school in 1990 and I bought some "Wire-to-Wire" souvenirs for him and said (jokingly, I thought), "He could be in college before they're even in another World Series."  He's a sophomore...

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2005, 10:31:09 AM »

I'm off to the Eagle ceremony - bye for now!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2005, 10:49:04 AM »

Eleven o'clock and I'm the only one in the jernt.  Well, I'll say nothing, oh, yes, I'll say nothing and let the chips and/or cards fall where they may.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2005, 11:35:54 AM »

Good afternoon, one and all!  I've been E&T all morning:  I had to help Dylan to Grand Central with all his luggage, and then I went down to the recording office to check some questions I had about a few BABES IN TOYLAND scores.  I dropped off the Mario Frangoulis charts from yesterday's proofing, and now I'm going to relax a bit.

Hank Azaria is not in SPAMALOT; Alan Tudyk is a brilliant replacement.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2005, 11:38:30 AM »

I just got what is probably going to be the final PURSY Faith CD from Collectables, Columbia Singles, Vol. 3, containing a host of previously unreleased tracks.  Great stuff for PURSY Faith fans.

Can we upload pics yet?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2005, 11:40:55 AM »

Evidently not.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2005, 11:42:22 AM »

Among his many notable credits, character actor Laurie Main includes the role of Sir PURSY in ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER.

Thank you, td, but I would rather hear more about actor John Richardson who played Robert Tentrees in ON A CLEAR DAY.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »

On which album did The Manhattan Tranfer sing "Ding Dong Dell, PURSY'S in the Well?"

Actually, the lyrics are:

"Well, Well, Well, my cat fell in the well.  
PURSY, PURSY, PURSY, poor kitty, kitty, kitty,
My cat fell in the well.
" ;)

At least, that's how it is on TMT's recordings.  They recorded it on their first live album (in 1978) with Laurel Massé as soprano.  Then, on their 1984 "Bop Doo-Wop" album, they took an instrumental track that was recorded in 1976 and recorded the vocals over it with Cheryl Bentyne as soprano.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2005, 12:08:23 PM »

I really enjoy watching most sports.  I never had the talent to participate in many of them.  Basketball is probably my least favorite of the major sports to watch, but I am trying to watch more Seattle Sonics' games this season.

My favorite sports are baseball and football. Probably my best sports memories are of the 1995 "Refuse to Lose" Seattle Mariners.  They were very exciting.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2005, 12:20:11 PM »

Thanks Ginny.  I hate to complain about my kitchen problems knowing only too well how lucky I am to get a new kitchen.

Sadly I expect my visits to HHW will be less frequent than I would like.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2005, 12:26:55 PM »

My most exciting sports event was watching Sandy Koufax pitch in the World Series.  I don’t remember which game it was and I didn’t save the ticket-darn.  Just my father and I went and it was a very special day I will always cherish.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2005, 12:59:40 PM »

TOTD:  I've enjoyed some Olympic moments - but then they're gone! I just don't care enough about sport and can never understand the "passion" that drives players and spectators.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2005, 01:03:24 PM »

Well, I have to leave the house.  I've been home all day doing nothing and spent most of yesterday at home doing nothing.  Now I must do something. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2005, 01:03:56 PM »

Plus, I'm hungry and I've had a craving for some Panda Express.  I don't know why, I just do. ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2005, 01:14:53 PM »

Hank Azaria is not in SPAMALOT; Alan Tudyk is a brilliant replacement.

I agree completely. He's a brilliant comedian and mime; he made the absurdity of playing a pirate in DODGEBALL the one bright spot in that lame movie.

And when Alan takes his shirt off in the second act of SPAMALOT, well, that got my FULL attention. I had no idea he was hiding that kind of physique under his costumes. Wow!

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2005, 01:18:56 PM »

I started my afternoon with MY NAME IS BARBRA. Even 40 years later (it CAN'T be that long ago), this special is still special. This has to be one of the most stylish and entertaining musical spectaculars ever conceived. It deserved every award and honor it garnered. Honestly, when it was over, I started to play the whole thing again, but I realized the DVD is mine and I can revisit it many times over the next years.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2005, 01:23:37 PM »

Then, I finished up SPANGLISH. I'd be lying if I didn't say it emotionally got to me. I had a few tears trickle down my face near the end of the film. Cloris Leachman steals the movie, and it's astonishing she didn't get an Oscar nomination for this.

I didn't think it quite held together at the end, and there were too many loose ends dangling for utter satisfaction. Still, it wasn't a  bad way to spend a gray SUnday afternoon.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up