Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EAR READERS  (Read 23658 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:EAR READERS
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2005, 07:31:20 AM »

Last night I viewed the 225th Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation, SILVER BELLS.  Feh!  What an awful holiday movie.  One of these years I must write my telepic--A YEAR WITHOUT CHRISTMAS COOKIES.  It will be the tale of a bitter, lonely old man who, because he burns his fingertips in a Thanksgiving frozen pizza mishap, is unable to make his customary batch of cut-and-bake Christmas cookies.  And then for some reason or other, he is forced to take in borders to make ends meet.  Among his borders is a young Hispanic girl who is hiding a secret, a ten year old black boy who wants to be an artist, and a middle-aged widow who carries a heavy burden.  Together, these people form a new kind of family that discovers the true meaning of Christmas cookies. This will be a heartwarming and inspiration story that the whole family will enjoy.

Don't waste your time, senor, I theenk I half seen dis movie already.  ;D

But if you can get Carroll O'Conner, Michael Learned, Sally Struthers, and 50 Cent in the cast, I think you have something!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2005, 07:31:57 AM »

Oh Page Two!

Just pretend I put up one of DRMATTH's Lucy Dances!  Remember when she came down the steps with the B I G head dress on?  Everyone think about that!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 07:33:11 AM »

DR CP says he is overwhelmed and requested help from Mr Bisque....who is too busy.

DR ELMORE after you and Elaine are done rehearsing tonight, why don't run you two run over and help him.

DRJOSE you have the day off - you can help too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005, 07:33:49 AM »

DR JMK - I wonder which Scientologist they have put in charge of handling YOU?  What was the name on the email?  Or was it signed "A Friend"?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2005, 07:35:25 AM »

Good morning!

Another gray, cold, drizzly morning. Supposed to be in the 60s today, but it doesn't like we're going to make it. It's only 48 now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2005, 07:37:40 AM »

At the movies, I eat nothing. It distracts me from the movie. I got in that habit when I was reviewing films because I did take notes and could not juggle a note pad, pen, and food.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2005, 07:42:36 AM »

At home, I try to resist eating anything during a movie because unless you measure out the amount you're going to eat in a bowl or cup or something, you lose track of what you're snacking and end up eating too much.

If I am going to eat chips, I take a small salad bowl and put some chips in it. I have to do this because, of course, if I let myself, I'd eat the entire bag at one sitting. My favorite lately has been Lay's Wavy Hickory Barbecue chips.

I read in the newspaper yesterday that unsalted nuts (particularly almonds) are healthier and better for you than either chips or candy as a snack. I like nuts, chips, AND candy!  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2005, 07:44:02 AM »

I should be receiving some DVDs in the mail today, but who knows? If not, I do have THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE to finish today, and I'll find something else on the to-watch shelf to enjoy.

There are new TV episodes tonight as ratings sweeps are still going on.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2005, 07:46:31 AM »

I did buy that Champion biography, and it's here, but I haven't even opened it yet. Other things to read have piled up in recent weeks, and there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2005, 07:49:46 AM »

I did buy that Champion biography, and it's here, but I haven't even opened it yet. Other things to read have piled up in recent weeks, and there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Our library copy is in "Book Prep," and I'm the only one on the request list, so it should be any time now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2005, 07:52:14 AM »

Our library copy is in "Book Prep," and I'm the only one on the request list, so it should be any time now.

The only one in OHIO who is interested, DRGINNY....why are we not surprised?  8)

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2005, 07:52:26 AM »

On the subject of Ebert and Roeper, first off, I loathe Roeper. His worth as a film critic is negligible.

As for Ebert, I found his early writing interesting and informed. He loved film and was able to write about it intensely. But by the time he became a "star reviewer" on TV, particularly after he and Siskel left PBS for their own syndicated show, he seemed to lose his edge and his standards just went into the toilet. Since his brain operation, he doesn't seem to have many critical standards at all any more. He seems to like almost everything studio produced. I'd hate to say he's sold out to the big studios, but that's what it seems like.

Siskel was a political reporter who was assigned to the movie beat when the Chicago Tribute lost their first string critic. He never had any opinion that I felt was worthy of a second glance. (I remember he panned SLEEPING BEAUTY saying the animation was flat and uninspired. See? Worthless.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2005, 07:56:47 AM »

I am at work now.

I am having my morning coffee, and I have eaten a bacon and egg sandwich on sourdough toast.

I have digested my one (count it One) voice mail and have cleared my e-mail inbox.

So little to do and so much time left in which to do it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2005, 07:58:10 AM »

The bad thing about coming in early is that other folks who arrive early seem to believe you are there for "them" to chat with and ease them into their day.

I'm NOT a morning person...and I offer no ease into anyone's day.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2005, 08:02:16 AM »

Snax:  I have just become newly addicted to the CocoaVia line of chocolate bars--not only are they lowfat, they also include the plant sterols that will naturally lower your cholesterol!!  The rice & almond bar is like a cross between Nestles Crunch and a Hershey Bar with almonds--incredibly delicious and highly recommended for those of you who like a little crunch with their chocolate!

JR:  I'm sure it's a very low-level functionary at this point.  Yes, she signed her name and even left her phone number.  Like I said, I think they're going to start off by "playing nice."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2005, 08:03:58 AM »

Since we can't upload photos department:  Well, it loses something in translation, but right after George posted that Lestat marquee photo, I dummied it up in Photoshop to include a third credit line:  The Fault of Jose.  Unfortunately I couldn't upload it.  That was before everyone started the thread about Jose not being on the marquee.  It would have been semi-hilarious at the time.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2005, 08:05:59 AM »

Good morn, one and all.

I don't want to be at work, either, Ginny. Unfortunately, Monday is NEVER my day off. ;P

TOD: DRs Jose, Ben and his DP Ant will attest to my affection for Sour Patch Kids. They are my official movie snack food. And Cherry Coke. If it ain't Cherry and out of a fountain, I don't want anything to drink at the movies. I'm sure DR Sandra can appreciate that. :)

I love a good handful of popcorn, but that's about it. I'm not a big fan of salt, and most popcorn tends to be salty, so that leaves me out. I do love me some caramel corn, though. And caramel corn with chocolate chunks a la Dale and Thomas' Popcorn on 48th Street. YUM!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2005, 08:08:38 AM »

I re-watched "Alexander" (theatrical version) yesterday.

I found it even more engrossing right up to the same point I stopped watching the first time I watched it.

Something about the scene in India where everyone seems to turn against him because they've been away from home 10 years and have some silly notion that they've more-than-completed the initial stated objective of the campaign -- and want to see their families -- brings things to a complete stop for me.

Don't know if it's psychological or....

I find myself skipping over the entire battle with Indians on elephants and the trek back to Babylon before I can settle into the film again.

It's a far superior film, to my mind, than such fodder as "Heaven's Gate"...or even "Troy".  Heck!  I'll state for the record I'd rather watch this one again than to ever waste another second watching "Gandhi" or "The Last Emperor."

It's also missing some key moments in Alexander's life, one of which was his burning of the Persian palace at Persepolis...which he later regretted enormously, according to historians.  It was alleged it was far more splendid than anything in Babylon.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 08:16:49 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2005, 08:08:49 AM »

I assumed I'd be having lunch with friends today, but so far I haven't heard from anyone. I let them call me since they're at work, and I don't want to interrupt them. So, I wait and wait . . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2005, 08:11:30 AM »

I don't think we've ever mentioned this before here, but I felt exactly the same way about ALEXANDER, DR Ron. That Indian battle just left me cold, and I've skipped it every other time I've seen the film.

But I find a lot to like in the film and have no trouble following its disjointed continuity.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2005, 08:15:16 AM »

Regarding films:  I've never known anyone whose judgment was totally reliable concerning how I might react to a film.

I've accepted many such judgments in my life and found myself stunned that my reaction was so different from theirs.  This goes both ways...films that are recommended that I find loathsome, and films that I am warned against which I find to be totally engaging and entertaining.

An awful lot depends on one's mood/mindset/mental state at the time of viewing...and this affects critics and friends and whoever else one might get an opinion from.

If the premise intrigues me, or the cast is attractive in some sense, than I will probably give a film a try.

Of course, sometimes there are films that are so bad that it's impossible for anyone to overstate their badness.

I usually see those in stores...and find myself wondering why I'd never heard of this film with THAT cast...and then it's clear.  No one dared release it to a theater and...life's too short to watch something that obviously not worth my time.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2005, 08:17:51 AM »

Don't waste your time, senor, I theenk I half seen dis movie already.  ;D

You've probably seen this movie fifty times already, but does Hallmark care?  Nope, not as long as you tune in and buy Hallmark cards and ornaments.

But if you can get Carroll O'Conner, Michael Learned, Sally Struthers, and 50 Cent in the cast, I think you have something!

A big yes to Michael Learned and 50 Cent.  Sally Struthers, too, but can she play Hispanic?  Carroll O'Conner could have done the part of the bitter old man say ten years ago, but he would have difficulty with it now.  I was thinking more along the lines of Edward Asner.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2005, 08:21:27 AM »

The mail just came and no DVDs! So, I guess that means BABY TAKE A BOW is on for later today.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2005, 08:23:08 AM »

The phone has rung and I now have my lunch plans. I must jump in the shower and get cleaned up. 12:15 will be here before you know it!

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 08:29:55 AM »

Ah yes, DR DtM - Ed Asner is the better choice.  Sure Sally can play Hispanic...she's a versatile performer.  Seen her onstage three times (ANNIE, GREASE, THE ODD COUPLE) and she was terrific in all of them.  And beautiful skin!  If that means anything.

Remember the Christmas TV movie that Loretta Young did many years ago?  That has always been one of my favorites!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2005, 08:30:50 AM »

DR JMK - upload the picture!  It will make a great screensaver!

DR JASON great zoo pics yesterday.  Was that a seal or a sea lion?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2005, 08:32:05 AM »

I liked both TROY and ALEXANDER - though I know some people (DR CP didn't) - my only real gripe was that they screwed up the history so badly.  Of course, if one is watching movies for history lessons, one is in trouble to begin with.

JMK

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2005, 08:33:45 AM »

Can we upload again?  OK, I'll try:

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2005, 09:07:42 AM »

LOL! That is priceless, DR JMK!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2005, 09:09:34 AM »

Thanks DR JMK!  LOL....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up