Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BANG  (Read 21819 times)

Ben

Re:BANG
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2005, 03:09:15 PM »

JMK, if you're still on and happen to read this, I remember a couple of weeks ago you were hit by AOL with the charge of sending out unsolicited bulk e-mail and they froze your account. You called and spoke at length to someone at AOL. Did they ever give you a definite number as to what constitutes sending unsolicited bulk e-mail (I doubt that they would share that number with anyone)?

We had the same thing happen today. Anthony sent out an e-mail with many, many addresses and as soon as it went through he was kicked off the system and when I tried to log back on we got that message about violating TOS (terms of service). I was able to get back into the account without much hassel but I'm still furious because two weeks ago Anthony sent out another large e-mail to perhaps not as many e-mail addresses but enough that it was similar in size.

I know it's not worth my energy to despise a company but sometimes I just want to shout from the rooftops how much I loathe AOL.

Ben

« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2005, 03:11:27 PM »

If you haven't figured it out yet, we are back from a lovely holiday on Long Island. I have read all the notes and a few days worth of posts but have much catching up to do so I won't be posting much in the next day or two till I figure out what you're all talking about.

Although I will say Vibes to anyone who needs them and it's good to be back. I have to post news about Anthony's Volkswagen commercial and where you will be able to see it on-line. I will do that tomorrow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2005, 03:24:40 PM »

In Seattle quite a few years ago, I saw the Alice B. Theater production of Company, where April and Kathy were played by men (as men) and one of the couples was made into a gay couple and another became lesbians.  There was an article from a Seattle paper posted on the wall of the theater lobby telling of how Sondheim himself had heard about the "reimagining" of the show and wanted to stop it, but since the company was so close to opening when the cease and desist came through, they were allowed to perform the show.  I thought that it was a wonderful production.  

There was also a review posted that said that this was what Company was all about!  That Bobby WAS gay!  But even after seeing the show, I never got that impression.  It was the original script (before the Broadway revisal) and their production was about Bobby realizing that he wanted someone, but not specifically a man.  The person who wrote the review got it wrong.  I saw a matinee and I almost stayed for the evening performance.  As I was driving home, I was sorry that I didn't stay.  It really was very good and I was sorry to hear that Alice B. Theater closed for good. :(
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 03:25:55 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2005, 03:36:41 PM »

Hello! I am posting from home!  Vixdad fixed the modem problem last night but I didn't know about it til now.

Thank you all for the vibes and prayers and thoughts.  They are very much appreciated and they seemd to have worked.,

Although the angigram did show one artery not functioning at 100% the DR said it was too small to risk  'stenting' and was better left to its own devices for now, the rest seemed clear and  he is resting (somewhat uncomfortably) here at home - much to the relief of his loving wife and daughter.

I will sign off as we have lots of phone calls to make and this is a dial up service... I may check in later if not, see you tomorrow.

And don"t forget to watch  Fekllicity on  "The WB" at 8, 7 Central time! Let's get former DR Panni's ratings up.

Oh and Congratulatins BK on the musical theatre gig it sounds wonderful!!! I am jealous  of those kids lucky enough to get the benefit of being taught by someone who really has real life experience and knowledge what the business is like, and not just someone with "book learnin'" teaching them....

oh and TOD (assuming this is a fantasy world that I am the right age, the right look and actually have the talent to pull off the role)

Lady MacBeth
Kate in Taming of the Shrew
Mame
Maria in the Sound of Music
Maria in West Side Story

and just for a change of sex....

Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof
Georges in La Cage Aux Folles

Good all and love to everybody!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2005, 03:47:44 PM »

In Seattle quite a few years ago, I saw the Alice B. Theater production of Company, where April and Kathy were played by men (as men) and one of the couples was made into a gay couple and another became lesbians.  There was an article from a Seattle paper posted on the wall of the theater lobby telling of how Sondheim himself had heard about the "reimagining" of the show and wanted to stop it, but since the company was so close to opening when the cease and desist came through, they were allowed to perform the show.  I thought that it was a wonderful production.  

Well, DRGeorge, I have to say I'd want it stopped, too.  Often, by the time the authors discover what some creative genius has done to his piece, it's too late to do anything.  I'm glad you enjoyed the production, but Steve and Mr Furth have had at least two chances to rethink couples as gay or whatever and to reassess Bobby's sexual orientation, and chose to leave things as they were.  One problem I have with the Alice B concept is the same problem I have with Eurotrash opera productions, which now set renaissance pieces in trenchcoats and the merry widow in a World War I bunker:  it may amuise the genius directing the piece but it does play nonsense with the piece's intentions and wreaks havoc on the mind of someone coming to the performance with no prior knowledge of what he is seeing.

Yes, there was a Merry Widow in Brussels wherein the leading lady sang the Act Three waltz to her leading man as they danced over World War I casualties lying all over the stage.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2005, 03:54:25 PM »

DR Ben - That was me who got kicked off  a few weeks ago for sending an email to a large number of people.  I have no idea what the magic number is, but I've been limited any such emails to 10 people at a time since then, and of course have had no trouble.

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2005, 03:58:45 PM »

Great to see a post, and positive report, from DR vixmom.  Continued vibes to vixdad!

Welcome back from Thanksgiving travels to DR's Ben and FJL.

More on TOD - how could I forget Sabina in The Skin of our Teeth?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2005, 04:00:33 PM »

bk - congratulations on the college teaching opportunity.  I loved the post-secondary teaching I did and, on days like yesterday and today, wonder if leaving was the right thing.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2005, 04:01:04 PM »

SPOILERS ABOUT LAST NIGHT'S MEDIUM AND SUNDAY'S DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES Spoiler....

Jennifer:  If the ghost/spirit of the troubled wife in MEDIUM was wrong, then wasn't Bree also wrong in this past Sunday's episode?

Even though George technically murdered her husband and tried to eliminate her shrink, wasn't her allowing him to think she'd called an ambulance while she consciously decided to let him die was as horrible (you said that you LIKED IT and hoped we are rid of George) as you say you found the ghost's action in last night's MEDIUM?

Why condemen one, and not the other, when both actions are quite similar?

This is a very interesting question.  Yes, I liked this Sunday's episode of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.  But when I say I liked it, I didn't mean i thought what Bree did was right.  Although perhaps since she is one of the heroines of the show, it is easier to overlook her wrongdoings.  IT wasn't quite the same situation as the wife on MEDIUM. Bree did not kill George. The wife intentionally killed her husband.  I thought the end of DH made for great tv.  Perhaps it's also because DH is sort of a comedy and MEDIUM is much more serious.

Anyhow great question.

FJL

« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2005, 04:07:13 PM »

DR Ginny - I played Lucy in CHARLIE BROWN when I was 13 years old, and sang it well, but couldn't act my way out of a paper bag once I got the costume on.  

I wonder what the rightsholders would have said about that performance, especially since I was more attracted to Linus than to Schroeder, but of course I'm assuming we even had permission to do the show.  :)  

Topic of the day - As to roles I'd like to play, since then, and in school shows only, I've always done fine in revues, but not book musicals.  A director in the law school drama group, with whom I had gotten pretty close,  said my problem as an "actor" was that I didn't seem to be interested in doing the work to try to become someone else, and that was fine for the revues but not for acting in book shows.   So I guess I wouldn't want to play any role of any sort, since I just don't have the acting chops for it and know it all too well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2005, 04:16:13 PM »

SPOILERS ABOUT LAST NIGHT'S MEDIUM AND SUNDAY'S DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

Bree did not kill George. The wife intentionally killed her husband.  

I think consciously deciding NOT to call an ambulance that would save George's life, and then telling him that she did, constitutes at least "attempted homicide" on her part.  We don't really know if he is dead or will die, but I think there is no doubt that Bree held his life in her hands and decided it was worthless.

That's the same thing the husband did to his wife in MEDIUM.  

I thought her revenge was SWEET!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2005, 04:23:12 PM »

Well, DRGeorge, I have to say I'd want it stopped, too.  Often, by the time the authors discover what some creative genius has done to his piece, it's too late to do anything.  I'm glad you enjoyed the production, but Steve and Mr Furth have had at least two chances to rethink couples as gay or whatever and to reassess Bobby's sexual orientation, and chose to leave things as they were.  One problem I have with the Alice B concept is the same problem I have with Eurotrash opera productions, which now set renaissance pieces in trenchcoats and the merry widow in a World War I bunker:  it may amuise the genius directing the piece but it does play nonsense with the piece's intentions and wreaks havoc on the mind of someone coming to the performance with no prior knowledge of what he is seeing.

I completely agree with you about the authors' intentions being followed implicitly and I understood Sondheim and Furth's intentions for the show before seeing the Alice B. Theater's production, so I could tell that they actually had some respect for Bobby's dilema.  But to paraphrase Into the Woods, they followed the path, but strayed a bit.  I felt that the ending (and intent) was the same, but how they got there was just...modified a little. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2005, 04:24:06 PM »

DR Ginny - I played Lucy in CHARLIE BROWN when I was 13 years old, and sang it well, but couldn't act my way out of a paper bag once I got the costume on.  

Well, DR FJL, we'll have to compare notes (and photos?) sometime!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2005, 04:27:49 PM »

Ben, sorry if it showed I was on--the kids were playing games online and had minimized HHW.  :)

Yes, AOL is shout-worthy, isn't it?  I got the TOS thing twice for sending a "bulk" email to the 60 or so people who are in my community choir.  If you call the TOS 800 number you can get put on something called the "white list" which supposedly keeps you "safe".  However, my second incident happened after I had called the TOS number, hence my extreme anger and threatened lawsuit which got me a whole whopping 2 months free service (even though they promised me 3).  I swear to heaven I am more than happy to start a class action lawsuit against any/all of the following:  AOL, eBay and PayPal.   The only reason I've kept AOL is because my Farmer article is on an AOL Hometown site and has been getting such regular recognition over the past year I haven't wanted to switch to another ISP.  I think now that the NPR thing has aired and things will quiet down (unless $cientology rears its ugly little head  ;D), that it may finally be time to move on.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2005, 04:32:18 PM »

DR's JMK, Ben, and other AOL "fans:"  A lady called the library the other day to ask for AOL's toll-free number so she could sign up for service.  I wanted to say, "DON'T DO IT!" but that's not my job, so I just looked up the number for her and she thanked me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2005, 04:40:04 PM »

Does anyone here have NetZero?  I need an ISP that has some "personal website" product, a la AOL's Hometown, so that I can transfer over my own webpage and the Farmer stuff.  It didn't look to me like NetZero had any of that.  Any recommendations?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2005, 04:48:45 PM »

Well, DRGeorge, I have to say I'd want it stopped, too.  Often, by the time the authors discover what some creative genius has done to his piece, it's too late to do anything.  I'm glad you enjoyed the production, but Steve and Mr Furth have had at least two chances to rethink couples as gay or whatever and to reassess Bobby's sexual orientation, and chose to leave things as they were.

The sad thing about this, for me, is that they chose to leave things as they were for this play, which actually needs some reimagining, but cannot seem to leave well enough alone on other plays which DON'T.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:52:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2005, 05:17:41 PM »

Does anyone here have NetZero?  I need an ISP that has some "personal website" product, a la AOL's Hometown, so that I can transfer over my own webpage and the Farmer stuff.  It didn't look to me like NetZero had any of that.  Any recommendations?

I don't know if you have it in your area (or if you're even interested, if you do), but I have Comcast(.net).  According to their info:

The Personal Web Page feature allows any Comcast High-Speed Internet Service member to create and publish a 25MB Web page per E-mail account, accessible via the Internet.

With Comcast, you get up to seven (7) e-mail accounts, which means you could have up to 175 MBs of webpages.  Click HERE for the "Personal Web Page Rules of the Road."

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2005, 05:28:50 PM »

DR JMK - For nonprofit, noncommercial purposes, I use and recommend www.orgsites.com.  I've used it for my book group at www.orgsites.com/oh/joyluckclub.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2005, 05:34:10 PM »

I also have Comcast although I don't know if it is available in your area DR JMK.

If you are looking for a nice home for SHEDDING LIGHT, take a look at zoomshare.com where I put that Frances site I started, but haven't really promoted.

Free....no popups...no bandwidth limit.  Easy to use.  Blog, photo albums (for 100 photos).  It's a nice deal.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »

DR MATTH - thanks for the information about the mysterious "a" - anamorphic as opposed to enhanced for widescreen?  Or maybe both if "enhanced" is in the description.  Haven't look for that.

DR ELMORE thanks for the information about AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY....oh my....Mr Gunn is perfectly cast as Clyde Griffiths....all this AND a rowboat!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2005, 05:38:20 PM »

Things look bad for Agent McGee on NCIS.  Oh dear.

AND I think maybe the surprise on the mat on TAR (since the producers AND viewers are pretty much fed up with this editon) could be that BOTH the 3rd and 4th place finishers would be eliminated.  Then next week would be the two top teams for a finale.  But I don't know for sure....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:45:26 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2005, 05:44:02 PM »

Well....speaking just from THIS SIDE of the rainbow.

I don't even look at the Tams-Witmark catalog because they still send "sides" - and with a community theatre production and inexperienced actors, you lose a week of rehearsal while they try to figure the damned things out.  I have had a bad experience with their customer service representative but only because everything on the packing slip was NOT in the box.  We were missing a score, but they didn't believe it, and we ended up paying for it.  But I opened the box, and it wasn't there.

Samuel French sent some awful materials for The 1940's Radio Hour....there were scripts but NO vocal music scores...this was around 1992 or 1993, I guess and maybe it's different now, but teaching THOSE songs was fun!  But their materials for LITTLE SHOP were GREAT!!!  Go figure!

MTI has the best service representatives, the best materials (very user friendly). and they are very helpful if you have to schedule an additional performance or need extra material.  Of course you pay for it, but it is always available.  They also seem to know their material better than T/W.

But again that's just from my experience doing two musicals a year for the last 24 years.

Thanks for the findaplay website, DRJASON.  I will pass it along to our Program Committee!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2005, 05:46:36 PM »

DR GINNY - I would come to see you in ANY of those roles.

Mr BK is at a rehearsal, and I always think of John Smithee demonstrating his choreography in TFNM.  :)

Ginny

« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2005, 05:50:48 PM »

DR GINNY - I would come to see you in ANY of those roles.

LOL, DR JRand, the only performing I do these days is a 3-hour "Grantseeking Basics" once a month.  Next up Saturday, December 17, 2005, 9:30am-12:30pm!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2005, 05:53:24 PM »

It's all acting!  Only this is in the daytime and it pays better!

Off to The Amazing Race!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2005, 06:30:47 PM »

Vixmom Im so pleased Vixdad is home tonight.  Best of health vibes for him!

Matt H I just set OUT OF PRACTICE to begin recording next week.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Bruce congratulations on the work shop-have fun. :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:42:33 PM by Jane »

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2005, 06:47:41 PM »

DTM, you will be happy to know that THAT GIRL season #1 will be on DVD this coming May!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2005, 06:55:19 PM »

MBarnum thanks for the Felicity tip.  

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »

AMAZING RACE SPOILERS

AND I think maybe the surprise on the mat on TAR (since the producers AND viewers are pretty much fed up with this editon) could be that BOTH the 3rd and 4th place finishers would be eliminated.  Then next week would be the two top teams for a finale.  But I don't know for sure....

No they would never do that.  Plus the finale has to be 3 teams at the end.

Where did everybody hear about this supposed twist?

I pretty much knew what was going to happen at about 9:40pm. I could just tell!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up