Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OPERATING ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP  (Read 24215 times)

FJL

Re:OPERATING ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2005, 07:25:21 PM »

Hmmm...Do-Re-Milla's birthday list for theater-related birthday on Dec. 8th is up.  I wonder who's celebrating a brithday tomorrow.  

Today's Birthdays 12/8
Posted by:    do_re_milla

Queen of Scots Mary 12/8/1542 - 2/8/1587 Scottish queen, source mat'l

Queen of Sweden Christina 12/8/1626 - 4/19/1689 Swedish queen, source mat'l

Camille Claudel 12/8/1864 - 10/19/1943 French sculptor, source mat'l

Jean Sibelius 12/8/1865 - 9/20/1957 Finnish composer, violin lovers, take a listen to Oistrak's performance of the Sibelius vln concerto

Diego Rivera 12/8/1886 - 11/25/1957 Mexican painter, politically controversial murals in Ministry of Education Building, National Palace and other government buildings in Mexico City, Rockefeller Ctr (painted over), source mat'l

James Thurber 12/8/1894 - 11/2/1961 writer: New Yorker magazine; author: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, My World and Welcome to It, The Last Flower, Is Sex Necessary? - The Male Animal (Leon Ames, Don DeFore, Elliott Nugent, Ruth Matteson, Gene Tierney)

Lee J. Cobb 12/08/1911 - Feb 11, 1976 performer, Husband of Helen Beverly (? - ?) divorced - Till the Day I Die (Robert Lewis, Russell Collins, Elia Kazan); Thunder Rock (Frances Farmer); Death of a Salesman; King Lear (Rene Auberjonois, Philip Bosco, Paul Rudd); tv's THE VIRGINIAN

Richard Fleischer 12/8/1916 director, author; son of pioneering animator Max Fleischer; nephew of Dave Fleischer, brother-in-law of Seymour Kneitel studied drama at Yale and joined New York's RKO-Pathé newsreel operation in 1942, where he wrote and directed for the "This Is America" series and wrote and produced "Flicker Flashbacks." His success there earned him a chance to move to the "real" RKO studio in Hollywood, where he proved his mettle on a series of suspenseful, noirish grade-B programmers like Bodyguard (1948, based on a story cowritten by Robert Altman!); His memoir, "Just Tell Me When to Cry," was published in 1993 - tv's & film's 20000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)(terrific cast, Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas, Peter Lorre, & the seal! 1 of my fav Disney movies); The Happy Time (Charles Boyer, Louis Jourdan, Marsha Hunt, Linda Christian, Bobbie Driscoll); Barrabbas (Anthony Quinn, Silvana Mangano, Vittorio Gassman, Jack Palance, Ernest Borgnine, Simone Signoret, Sharon Tate[Extra (uncredited)); Fantastic Voyage; Dr. Doolittle; The Boston Strangler; Conan the Destroyer; Darkness at High Noon: The Carl Foreman Documents

Sammy Davis Jr. 12/8/1925 - May 16, 1990 husband of Loray White (1958 - 1959) divorced; May Britt (1960 - 196 divorced; Altovise Gore (1970 - 1990) his death; nephew of Will Maston, son of Sammy Davis, Sr., performer - entertainer: Sammy and Company, NBC Follies; group: The Will Mastin Trio; actor: The Kid Who Loved Christmas, Cannonball Run series, Sweet Charity, A Man Called Adam, Robin and the 7 Hoods, The Three Penny Opera, Ocean’s 11, Porgy and Bess, Golden Boy, Mr. Wonderful, Rufus Jones for President; member: The Rat Pack; author: Why Me?

Maximilian Schell 12/8/1930 performer - Academy Award-winning actor: Judgment at Nuremberg [1961]; Little Odessa, Abraham, Stalin, The Freshman, Peter the Great, The Chosen, Julia, The Man in the Glass Booth, The Odessa File, Heidi, The Young Lions, Wiseguy

David Carradine 12/08/1936 performer, half-brother of Keith Carradine; son of John Carradine - Royal Hunt of the Sun (Judd Jones, Chris Plummer)

James MacArthur 12/8/1937 - performer; adopted son of actress Helen Hayes & Charles MacArthur - Invitation to a March; tv's & film's Hawaii Five-O: Dano of “Book ’em, Dano”, Hang ’Em High, Spencer’s Mountain, The Interns, The Swiss Family Robinson

Graciela Daniele 12/08/1939 Writer, Lyricist, Choreographer, Director, Performer, Other, Production Crew, Creative Consultant; Wife of Jules Fisher - What Makes Sammy Run?; Coco; Follies; Chicago; 1981 The Pirates of Penzance (Kevin Kline, Estelle Parsons, Linda Ronstadt, Alix Korey); The Mystery of Edwin Drood; The Goodbye Girl; Ragtime; Annie Get Your Gun; Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life

John Rubinstein 12/8/1946 husband of Jane Lanier, son of piano great Arthur Rubinstein, performer - Pippin; Fools; Getting Away With Murder (Christine Ebersole, Terrence Mann); Tony Award-winning actor: Children of a Lesser God [1980]; Crazy Like a Fox, Family, composer: score: The Candidate

Bruce Kimmel 12/8/1947 producer, performer, author, director - Producer of numerous theater albums, including The King and I (Donna Murphy, Lou Diamond Phillps); Bells are Ringing (Faith Prince); preserved many theater songs that might have gone unheard with the Lost in Boston series and the Unsung Musicals series; author of the novel "Writer's Block" (2004 - murder mystery novel about a musical's out-of-town tryout) and “Rewind” (2005); founder of Kritzerland label in 2005 (After The Ball, New Guy In Town, The Last Starfighter, among others), film's: writer, director and co-star of The First Nudie Musical (1979)

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON THIS DATE:

1903 Mam'selle Napoleon is Anna Held in this musical at the Knickerbocker Theatre. Produced by Held's husband Florenz Ziegfeld, with a score by Gustav Luders, this show will have a 43-performance run.

1925 "Why a duck?" The ineffable question is first asked on Broadway today, the opening night of the George S. Kaufman/Irving Berlin musical The Cocoanuts at the Lyric Theatre with four young stars who overshadowed even the august writing team: The Marx Brothers, Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Zeppo. The anarchic nonsense about the Florida land rush runs 377 performances and is made into a classic film (minus most of the songs).

1930 Cole Porter scandalizes Broadway with the streetwalker's lament, "Love For Sale," in the musical The New Yorkers, which opens tonight at B.S. Moss's Broadway Theatre for a run of 168 performances. Included in the huge cast are Jimmy Durante and Fred Waring's Pennsylvanians.

1943 John Van Druten's romantic comedy The Voice of the Turtle opens today at the Morosco Theatre, and goes on to a remarkable 1,557-performance run.

1948 Rex Harrison is Henry VIII and Joyce Redman is Anne of the Thousand Days, by Maxwell Anderson. This drama dealing with the King's betrothal and marriage to Anne Boleyn will run 286 performances.

1949 - One of America’s classic Broadway plays, and later, a major motion picture, debuted. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes began its long run at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City. Carol Channing starred in the musical and charmed audiences with the show’s songs such as her trademark signature, Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend.

1963 - Florence Henderson and Jose Ferrer co-starred in The Girl Who Came to Supper on Broadway. The production, however, only lasted for 112 shows.

1965 Lauren Bacall and Barry Nelson star in Cactus Flower. Abe Burrows directs and also adapted this work from Fleur de Cactus by Pierre Barillet and Jean-Pierre Gredy.

1991 One of the biggest musical flops of the 1990s, Nick & Nora, opens tonight at the Marquis Theatre -- and closes 9 performances later, despite a book by Arthur Laurents, score by Charles Strouse and Richard Maltby Jr., and performances by Joanna Gleason, Barry Bostwick and Faith Prince.

1994 Not a good date for Faith Prince, who opens on Broadway playing a dead housewife who returns to life in Donald Margulies' What's Wrong With This Picture?. It runs 12 performances at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre.

2002 Baz Luhrmann's staging of the opera La Boheme opens on Broadway today, with a directorial concept that makes it resemble a Broadway musical. The show will run 228 performances and win a special Tony honor for its three rotating casts of leads.

FJL

« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2005, 07:32:32 PM »

Wow!  It's Graciela Daniele's birthday tomorrow?

That calls for some kind of specially choreographed page 7 dance, doesn't it?

FJL

« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2005, 07:33:55 PM »

It's Lee J Cobb's birthday tomorrow, too.

There's got to be a dance for that - when did I have corn?

FJL

« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2005, 07:35:46 PM »

Interesting that Faith Prince is mentioned three times in the Dec. 8th birthdays, even though it's not her birthday.

So maybe the Prince is giving a ball for the page 7 dance?

FJL

« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2005, 07:37:47 PM »

In fact, lots of royalty seems to have been born or opened on Dec. 8th.

FJL

« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2005, 07:42:37 PM »

Interesting that on Dec. 8, 1949, the musical GENTLEMEN PREFER HAINES seems to have opened

FJL

« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2005, 07:43:24 PM »

Oh wait..that's GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.  Never mind!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2005, 07:50:34 PM »

Hi Danise, thanks for the wishes.

Jane

« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2005, 07:51:06 PM »

Bryan just called. :D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2005, 08:18:01 PM »

Isn't it great that we are such an eclectic bunch? I could BARELY make it through the Cameron TITANIC once. Some of you could never make it through I LOVE MELVIN.

It all balances out.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »

I'm still on the phone having a nice conversation.  Bryan talks while he cooks his dinner.  He is working very long hours for the holidays.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2005, 08:23:06 PM »

I finished watching the rest of the hilarious episodes on the second disc of FRIENDS' last season. Really enjoyed seeing Phoebe's wedding again.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2005, 08:25:07 PM »

Then, I put in the DVD A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS. Looks just fine, and the colors are more vibrant than I remembered them being. Loved it as much as usual.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »

VERONICA MARS had a fine episode with Keith actually doing some case investigation for a change, and his case was as interesting as Veronica's.

spoiler - - -

Looks like Veronica and Duncan aren't long for coupledom. And it was nice to see her best friend return. Loved how her face lit up. Probably the best holiday gift she could have received.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2005, 08:27:46 PM »

Got those Fox noirs today, and I'll probably watch THE DARK CORNER tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2005, 08:29:44 PM »

It really doesn't matter to me at all whether the new KING KONG hits or misses. I've got the version of it I wanted on DVD. I really have no interest in seeing this new one.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2005, 08:32:35 PM »

ALIAS brought back Sark for a fun romp or two with our heroines. And David Anders got to use his voice sans British accent for part of the episode.

spoiler - - - -

Was Jack's playing the piano at the end of the episode indicative of anything other than that was his way of relaxing and unwinding? That just sort of came out of nowhere.

Jane

« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2005, 08:35:50 PM »

Dinner was very good.  My friend surprised me by calling ahead and treating me to dessert.  I only had room for one bite (the rest is waiting for me).  As it is I have most of my lasagna for dinner tomorrow.  After the soup and bread I was full.

We are off the phone now-so ‘night all and thank you for making my day extra special.

MBarnum

« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2005, 08:40:32 PM »

Glad you had a very nice day Jane!!

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2005, 08:41:32 PM »

Guess I'll head downstairs to bed.

Good night, all, and enjoy the rest of your birthday, DR Jane.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2005, 08:50:59 PM »

Glad you had a nice birthday, Jane.

I'd be happy to email the kitty file. Could you email me your address?  DearReaderLaura@hotmail.com

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2005, 09:04:08 PM »

A very happy "it's 12:04 on the east coast" birthday to DH (Dear Host) BK!!!!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2005, 09:19:38 PM »

Indeed, it's December the 8th on the East Coast.

Happy Birthday, BK!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2005, 09:23:47 PM »

DRJose--

I don't have an actual apartment to sublet--if I did you could have stayed there for free!
I own a hotel/timeshare that I use about 1-2 weeks per month, sometimes more, depending on availability.

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2005, 09:42:22 PM »

Isn't it great that we are such an eclectic bunch? I could BARELY make it through the Cameron TITANIC once. Some of you could never make it through I LOVE MELVIN.

It all balances out.

I couldn't agree more, DR MATT. I think our eclectic tastes make things a lot more fun around here

Jason

« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2005, 09:44:12 PM »

I saw Cameron's "Titanic" at least 9 times in the theater and I can't remember how many times at home... Like CillaLiz, I mainly watched it for the historic aspect (I'm a Titanic freak), but I do remember having a very distinct crush on Ms. Kate Winslet, too...I think she's just gorgeous!

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2005, 09:44:46 PM »

Jane, Glad you had a very nice birthday, you deserve it.

BK....Happy Birthday East Coast time and almost Central time...I'm off to bed but wanted to send best wishes before I signed off tonight. Hope you have a wonderful day

Cillaliz

« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2005, 09:45:42 PM »

I saw Cameron's "Titanic" at least 9 times in the theater and I can't remember how many times at home... Like CillaLiz, I mainly watched it for the historic aspect (I'm a Titanic freak), but I do remember having a very distinct crush on Ms. Kate Winslet, too...I think she's just gorgeous!

We'll have to talk Titanic next time we get together. I became quite the Titanic freak, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2005, 10:48:22 PM »

Back from rehearsal - went very well - blocked quite a bit of act one (only two people, so not so difficult) - I'll be futzing with it endlessly, I'm sure, but it was a very good beginning.  I'm not feeling that well - all that lost sleep has taken its toll on me.  I'm gonna have some emergenC shortly, but right now I just have to sit on my couch like so much fish, then write the notes in a bit.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2005, 12:51:27 AM »

What kind of surprise party is THIS??
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up