Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SOUND OF MUCOUS  (Read 20605 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE SOUND OF MUCOUS
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2005, 03:13:52 PM »

And how did the cable switching go?

I am still at work. But will try to do it tonight. And hopefully it will work as your Christmas present depends on it! LOL!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 03:16:50 PM by MBarnum »

Jed

« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2005, 04:09:10 PM »

Back from a bit of Christmas shopping, mostly of the stocking stuffer variety.  Very nearly finished!

Vixmom, the music is on its way, probably getting to you around the end of the week.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2005, 04:29:33 PM »

So, now BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN has won Best Picture from three groups: Boston, L.A., and NY. It also has a nomination for Best Picture from the Broadcast Film Critics.

Tomorrow is the announcement of the Golden Globe nominations.

As it turns out, this film is playing an exclusive (one theater) engagement in San Francisco.  I am considering going to see it tomorrow.

How I feel when I wake up will determine whether I want to risk "exposing myself" to other folks' germs on the BART (i.e. subway system in the Bay area).

I saw a review of it on TV last night (local TV news) and the response from folks walking out was that it was an overwhelming and devastatingly emotional experience for them.

I could use something like that about now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 04:40:13 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2005, 04:33:31 PM »

DR RLP...

Perhaps we should form a Tom Ewell-David Wayne Non Fan Club.

The fact that Fox saddled Marilyn Monroe with them is astonishing!

:D

I'm guessing it made her seem more accessible to the "everyday" sort of fellow.

I could "almost" buy him as Jane Froman's first husband in "With A Song in My Heart," but I could never buy him as being a man Susan Hayward would fall in love with.

Gee...she went from David Wayne to Rory Calhoun...go figger!   That's an example of indiscriminate taste if ever I've seen it.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2005, 04:37:37 PM »

My used $4 DVD of WAR OF THE WORLDS arrived today.

I liked it.  I was afraid that it was going to be Tom Saves the World, but it wasn't like that at all.  And I liked the creatures and the spaceships.

So I will say that it was okay!  

Dakota Fanning was just SOOOOOOOOO irritating - although I guess her character was supposed to be.

Except for the bit where she's screaming in the car...that's irritating...I think Fanning's was a wise-beyond-her-years character who strongly relates to her dad and brother.  I don't know many young kids her age who would have reacted any better to the horrific situation in the iflm

And Tom Cruise's performance, for me, is emotionally riveting and powerful.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 04:39:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2005, 05:30:36 PM »

Did she have her black market baby with her?

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2005, 05:31:24 PM »

DR Elmore, I would agree that this song is not only one of the best show tune duets around but also one of the most under appreciated, or perhaps, undiscovered.  The track on the DROOD OCR sends shivers up and down my spine whenever I listen to it and I've never understood why no other artist have taken it on.  I wonder how it would sound with M/F vocals...

Rupert and Rita Coolidge did it as a duet on Rita Coolidge's album Delta Lady

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2005, 05:34:04 PM »

Oh darn, we didn’t like THE ICE STORM.
Cillaliz, I found Syriana depressing.  I also left feeling bits and pieces still need filling in and left disappointed.  I’m glad I saw the movie and found it interesting.  What did you think?  

I had similar feelings. It is the first movie in ages where I have literally covered my eyes or a minute or so.  It was pretty much what I expected, but I agree, it needed some things filled in and could have flowed a lot better

Jane

« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2005, 05:41:39 PM »

Cillaliz, interesting was the pre-film hype Keith read.  He warned me it was intellectually challenging and I had to stay attention & follow the movie closely and to expect the pieces to come together at the end of the movie.  After that build-up I felt intellectually deficient.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2005, 05:43:29 PM »

Ginny thanks for the photos and the Bill’s Knapp’s chocolate cake.  I recall it was very tasty with Haagen-Dazs ice cream. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2005, 05:52:49 PM »

I am still at work. But will try to do it tonight. And hopefully it will work as your Christmas present depends on it! LOL!

OMG then by all means - get it fixed!

Great photos, DR GINNY.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2005, 05:55:45 PM »

Cillaliz, interesting was the pre-film hype Keith read.  He warned me it was intellectually challenging and I had to stay attention & follow the movie closely and to expect the pieces to come together at the end of the movie.  After that build-up I felt intellectually deficient.  ;D

I followed it, but I still think it could have flowed better, Paul said he loved it. But there was one story line he just didn't get

Jane

« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2005, 06:01:07 PM »

For me Dakota Fanning was the best thing in WAR OF THE WORLDS.

I liked David Wayne and, while I wasn't drooling, I can understand his appeal.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2005, 06:01:30 PM »

:D

I'm guessing it made her seem more accessible to the "everyday" sort of fellow.

I could "almost" buy him as Jane Froman's first husband in "With A Song in My Heart," but I could never buy him as being a man Susan Hayward would fall in love with.

Gee...she went from David Wayne to Rory Calhoun...go figger!   That's an example of indiscriminate taste if ever I've seen it.  

Never thought of this re:Monroe - but it makes perfect sense.

Your Susan Hayward comments reminds me of the time Susan and some starlet got into a hair pulling fight over the affections of cowboy star Red Barry.

The starlet Jill Jarmyn was of the opinion that she and Barry were engaged, so when she walked in on an intimate moment between Hayward and her "fiance" - the feathers flew, so to speak.  

Don Barry later told the newspapers that he had just invited the gals over for a cup of coffee some time, and they happened to come at the same time.

Susan revised her first statement to say that she and Barry were having a casual cup of coffee when Jarmyn burst in a verbally attacked her.

Jarmyn said she had a standing coffee invitation from Barry anytime she was in town.

Marlene Dietrich finally said:  "That 'Red' Barry must make some cup of coffee!!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2005, 06:02:37 PM »

For me Dakota Fanning was the best thing in WAR OF THE WORLDS.

I liked David Wayne and, while I wasn't drooling, I can understand his appeal.

Well, there ya are!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2005, 06:04:47 PM »

I thought Dakota gave a fine performance - it was very realistic.....that was my problem.

Little girls in hysterics "set my tith on etch" (as Ricky Ricardo would say.)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2005, 06:05:24 PM »

Finally, for DR DearReaderLaura and others who requested cake and ice cream:

Terrific cake and ice cream! Thanks!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2005, 06:08:13 PM »

I followed it, but I still think it could have flowed better, Paul said he loved it. But there was one story line he just didn't get

My only confusion was with the brothers until I was sure which one was which.  We walked out going, what happened with that, or what was the point of that!  

Jane

« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2005, 06:09:51 PM »

JRand-LOL

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2005, 06:13:29 PM »

Jane, I don't want to give too much away, so I think I'll email more about Syriana

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2005, 06:16:44 PM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearsal.  We run the end of the act, then move on to act two.

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2005, 06:18:41 PM »

Jrand, I know the feeling.

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2005, 06:23:26 PM »

I feel so much better today. Living alone I don't get to argue and shout with anyone very often. Well today I had a shouting match with a probation officer that ended when I hung up on him.  What a release! I got all inspired and got a bunch of work done. It was great!

Jane

« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »

I feel so much better today. Living alone I don't get to argue and shout with anyone very often. Well today I had a shouting match with a probation officer that ended when I hung up on him.  What a release! I got all inspired and got a bunch of work done. It was great!

LOL-I live with someone and don’t do that very often.

You should have seen the post I didn’t make.  Trying to talk about a movie without giving away anything can amount to a bunch of gibberish.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2005, 07:14:42 PM »

You should have seen the post I didn’t make.  Trying to talk about a movie without giving away anything can amount to a bunch of gibberish.  

LOL, I know I was trying to do the same thing, that's why I suggested email.

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2005, 07:15:38 PM »

DR Elmore, did you get my email?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »

I'm back from a very moving evening at the New York City Gay Men's Chorus rehearsal for their Carnegie Hall concert on Wednesday.  I'm not sure I can explain it but here goes.  Through a lucky fluke involving a cabaret act composed of three members of the Chorus, the music director asked me to do somechoral arrangements and I ended up their staff arranger from 1981-1999.  The music director left after 20 years and the new MD and Board decided I was an unnecessary luxury and terminated my contract.  This led to four years' estrangement when the next musical director asked me to come back and do several charts.  Last year, I did a whole Broadway concert which ended badly because the Chorus pleaded poverty and I made life difficult for them until they finally paid me.  I vowed never to work with them again.  

This year the original music director was asked to come back, and he called me to come back as well,  Tonight's rehearsal was a reunion of people I hadn't seen in years:  David Rogers on trumpet, Karen Lindquist on harp, Bruce Doctor on percussion - all people I'd brought in to work on BK's recordings for Varese Sarabande and people I respect as musicians and colleagues.  A lot of the music I hadn't heard or thought of in around 1o or more years.  They played two glorious pieces by two dear friends and wonderful arrangers - Dean Johnson and Mark Riese - who died far too young from AIDS complications, and a piece of mine for antiphonal choir that I really had no memory of writing but shocked me by how wonderful it was.  I've been going through some disillusion with several shallow and rather callow friends lately, and it was a bittersweet reunion tonight.  I'm still not sure exactly what my feelings were over being there.  It was quite moving and nostalgic and a bit sad.  And a bit wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2005, 07:27:33 PM »

DR Elmore, did you get my email?

Yes, dear, I did.  I'm still in a bit of a daze.  April sounds lovely and May can be quite beautiful and a bit warmer.   I'm glad it arrived.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2005, 08:12:36 PM »

I spent a good chunk of the evening finishing BATMAN FOREVER and then watching all of the documentaries on the second disc in the set. Val Kilmer and Chris O'Donnell both look very different now. Jim Carrey and Nicole Kidman have hardly changed at all. (movie released in 1995).

I have to say I got really tired of Carrey's antics in the film, so over-the-top that he wore out his welcome (something Jack Nicholson didn't do in the first one), but the film otherwise is a pretty enjoyable popcorn movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2005, 08:18:23 PM »

SYRIANA is playing at the same nearby theater where I went to see RENT last week, and I've toyed with going to see it at some point this week. Just don't know yet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up