Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT QUEASY FEELING  (Read 50412 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THAT QUEASY FEELING
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2005, 11:22:36 AM »

Re the Mattress wave - TV critics, 99% of them anyway, are complete idiots.  And they also know that Disney has shelved this thing for ages, and they're doing what critics always do when they know it - go the other way.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2005, 11:23:43 AM »

Re moving: My problem is that I just don't know enough about other cities to make an informed decision.  Pogue is from Kentucky, has family and friends there - I don't really have that anywhere, and hence my not even thinking about moving.  But, never say never.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2005, 11:24:33 AM »

OK, when I got in from lunch, I immediately got out the ladder and climbed on my roof. Believe or not, there are still trees that are not finished shedding their leaves and I have postponed cleaning the roof until the leaves were gone, but during that endless rain and ice yesterday, a small leak made itself known on my back porch, and I knew exactly what the trouble was - piled up leaves on the flat part of the roof.

Sure enough, I got up there (two stories up; I'm not as young as I used to be so I had to take it very carefully), and it was THICK with leaves. Those old water oaks in my back yard were VERY prolific this year.

Anyway, spent about an hour and got things cleaned off even though it was soppy wet from all the precipitation yesterday. But today was going to be the warmest day for awhile, so I thought now or never.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2005, 11:25:11 AM »

As I said the other day, the VARIETY review of MATTRESS was a total pan.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2005, 11:26:06 AM »

Did anybody already mention that the TV version of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS got an over-the-top rave in the New York Times?

It looks nicely costumed, judging by the commercials.  

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2005, 11:27:34 AM »

Last night, with no internet to entertain me, I enjoyed the last 90 minutes of SCROOGE. Very pleased how this looks on the newer TV.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2005, 11:30:38 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY NEW HOME AND HEARTH TO DR CP AND THE LOVELY WIFE  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

Then, like DR Elmore, I watched the two back-to-back JOEY episodes.

I kind of feel sorry for the producers and showrunners of JOEY. They don't know WHAT to do to salvage the show. They're trying things that worked on FRIENDS - Joey and Alex (the bland next door neighbor) being interested in each other at different times when the other is not interested or available - memories of Ross and Rachel all over the place.

Bringing in Gregory Harrison out of the blue to be attracted to Alex to give Joey a rival. (FRIENDS brought in Tom Selleck several times over the years to fall into, out of, and into love with Monica - the last time memorable because CHandler was going to propose and Selleck came back into her life and decided HE wanted to propose.)

They have this twee neighbor of Joey's who's NOT gay but is his biggest fan and follows him around like a puppy. He's not on every week, but the producers bring him in at odd moments to worship him admiringly.

I think NBC realizes it's a hopeless case now, and they'll probably let the show run its course after the Olympics (but on Tuesday night) and then fade into the sunset with other sequels like AfterMASH that didn't work.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2005, 11:36:47 AM »

CSI had a repeat last night that I remembered really liking the first time it aired, but I had forgotten the exact denouement of the mystery and enjoyed it all over again when it was revealed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »

DR MATTH - these sitcoms that just go on and on so that there can be enough episodes to make it in syndication are just SAD.  Of course there may be some kind of contractual agreement between the network and the creators that guarantees them a number of episodes or seasons.  Who suffers?  We do.

I am still horrified by such multi-season "hits" as SUDDENLY SUSAN, JUST SHOOT ME, and CAROLINE IN THE CITY.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2005, 11:38:22 AM »

In place of WITHOUT A TRACE, another rerun of a series I don't particularly like seeing episodes of a second time, I watched Wednesday night's CSI: NY. A wonderful episode about a panic room that had a complete surprise ending as to the identity of the murderer. I love being fooled like that!

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2005, 11:40:07 AM »

DR MATTH - these sitcoms that just go on and on so that there can be enough episodes to make it in syndication are just SAD.  Of course there may be some kind of contractual agreement between the network and the creators that guarantees them a number of episodes or seasons.  Who suffers?  We do.

I am still horrified by such multi-season "hits" as SUDDENLY SUSAN, JUST SHOOT ME, and CAROLINE IN THE CITY.

Well, with something like FRIENDS or FRASIER, if the quality stayed high, I welcomed the long runs.

But in those shows you quoted (and I'll add VERONICA'S CLOSET), there was not a handful laughs among them for all of the years they ran.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2005, 11:41:01 AM »

DR CP - you know what else your new library will have?  A scene of the change of the seasons outside the window!

DR BK - I would imagine that you are an LA native who will stay in LA.  I doubt I will ever move very far away from my Indiana home....being 55 years old makes it even more doubtful.  Visiting friends and places is fine, but I like to call this place home.  

And if those $4.23 AFTRA checks keep coming in, you can stay indefinitely.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2005, 11:42:44 AM »

So, that brings me to today. I have not yet turned on the set, but I have some stuff selected:

CD - BEST FOOT FORWARD (soundtrack)
        various Christmas CDs including THE DORIS DAY CHRISTMAS ALBUM

DVD - KINSEY
          CINDERELLA MAN

DVR - I'm sure there is something on there, but I can't remember

laserdisc - EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS
                 JUPITER'S DARLING

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2005, 11:42:48 AM »

I agree....long runs of quality series are great...

I had almost forgotten VERONICA'S CLOSET.....I love Kirstie Alley, but VC was a show I only watched a couple of times.  Ugh.

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2005, 11:42:58 AM »

In place of WITHOUT A TRACE, another rerun of a series I don't particularly like seeing episodes of a second time, I watched Wednesday night's CSI: NY. A wonderful episode about a panic room that had a complete surprise ending as to the identity of the murderer. I love being fooled like that!

DR MattH - I watched that episode with my son and I suspected the culprit early on.  LOL - I usually never figure out a mystery!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2005, 11:45:35 AM »

To those who have read the Gower Champion book.

My friend Jack Salvatore - who is an LA radio newsman now - was talking about his experience in the first road company of BYE BYE BIRDIE....he was in the ensemble and most notably sang "Harvey Johnson" in "The Telephone Hour."  I asked him what it was like working with Gower and he said that Gower was sick at that time and that Marge set all the choreography for the first road company.  Is this talked about in the book?

Were Marge and Gower still together when he did DOLLY?  How much help did she give him during his initial Broadway phase?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2005, 11:59:01 AM »

DR CP and The lovely Julianna now live less than 100 miles north of Mintonville where my grandfather owned the General Store and Sawmill and where he and two of my uncles are buried!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2005, 12:01:48 PM »

Tonight is Danny Kaye night on TCM.  I don't think I have ever seen UP IN ARMS all the way through.  I may try it tonight!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2005, 12:12:44 PM »

Tpunk you look darling. :)

Jose your opening night was very exciting!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2005, 12:22:39 PM »

Pogue congratulations on the move.  I was half expecting your news to say you are moving, not that you had moved.  ;D

Within the next two years we expect to be in Georgetown visiting good friends.  It sounds beautiful and I’m sure you will be very happy.

Ben

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2005, 12:36:34 PM »

I never thought I would be posting again so soon. I will tell you why I'm posting in a minute but first

Congrats to DR CP on the move. It sounds great and you sound happy and content and that's all anyone could want.

I am here at JFK in the T4 Members Lounge. They have complimentary Internet access so here I be.

We got to the airport extraordinarily early. Our flight is at 8:45 and we arrived at 1:15. The only car we could get picked us up at 12:30. Anthony needed the car service because his feet are tired so we decided not to try taking the Air Train.

Aer Lingus check in opened at 2pm. We were first in line and when the clerk realized how early we were she mentioned that we could get day passes to the Executive Club which would make the wait much more pleasant. I agreed immediately since the thought of wandering around JFK for 6 hours was not pleasant, even with the NY Times and other things to read. It's also our special Anniversary trip and I decided to splurge for us. Ant has been tired and worried (as he always worries about a flight) about the trip and he can sit in a comfortable chair or nap in a well-padded chaise. We can even take a shower if we choose.

We had a nice lunch, some peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies and now I'm sitting here with a glass of sweet vermouth on the rocks with a lemon twist relaxing before the flight. Boy, I could get used to this.

So, that's the story Morning Glories. The traffic from the city to JFK was pretty non-existent so we got here easily and quickly. The driver was very nice and the car was clean and comfortable. What more could we want on the beginning of our trip?

Since I still have about 4 hours before boarding I will probably be back again. Until then, arreviderci (or however you spell it).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »

DR TOMOVOZ:  Sorry, your birthday greeting didn't quit work right, I see.  It just sent you to the amazon Hairspray CD page.  It was actually supposed to link you to the sound file of

"Welcome to the Sixties"

as you have joined us in that august subgroup of HHW.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2005, 12:51:35 PM »

DR Pogue:  Congratulations of having the strength of will to make the move.

Kate Wilhelm once told me that when she and Damon Knight were living in Florida, they realized after several years as if in an epiphany that as writers they could live anywhere they wanted.  So they spent a couple of years checking out different spots in the country and then settled in Eugene, Oregon.

How wonderful not to be tied geographically to your job.

Would it be too personal to inquire as to the acual dollar amounts of the houses in both locations?  My Mommy told me never to ask people about money.   But I don't always obey my Mommy.  If that is an inapropriate question, a simple, "F*** off!" will suffice.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jed

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2005, 01:12:45 PM »

Congrats on the big move, DR Pogue!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2005, 01:13:33 PM »

TPunk, your new avatar gave me an instant smile. :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2005, 01:15:04 PM »

I just found this image and it made me think of Tomovoz and  Ozderek... so here it is... you are very much in my thougts and prayers Tom

Thank you so much DR Vixmom.
I shall be in contact with Dereks' sister this weekend. She hit another "brick wall" last week.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2005, 01:25:17 PM »

DR TOMOVOZ:  Sorry, your birthday greeting didn't quit work right, I see.  It just sent you to the amazon Hairspray CD page.  It was actually supposed to link you to the sound file of

"Welcome to the Sixties"

as you have joined us in that august subgroup of HHW.

It did work DR WFO.  Thank you for the smile.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2005, 01:27:29 PM »

Thanks in part to DG Ann, I finally gave in to the sudoku craze.  I am now hopelessly hooked on the danged things!

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2005, 01:30:51 PM »

TOTD: I'm listening to "THE BEST OF THE FOuR LADS".
I had a phone call yesterday from someone after a copy of "Somebody Loves Me".
We've been too busy to watch DVDs or TV etc.

I did buy a DVD yesterday.  "Shaun Of The Dead". I shall blame HHW if it is not to my liking!!
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up