Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVEN FOREFEND  (Read 25999 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HEAVEN FOREFEND
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2003, 07:33:31 AM »

I love stuffing (or dressing as we call it down South), but if it has oysters in it, I just won't eat it. My mom used to make me a pan of plain dressing since she knew I wouldn't touch the oyster dressing she made for the rest of the family.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2003, 07:39:03 AM »

DR Jose: Giblets make me cringe. The sight and smell are not even remotely pleasant and I would do my best not to eat them. My father, however loved them. I am also not a fan of brussel sprouts. I love Brussels, in Belgium, but not those awful tasting little vegetables (I do love most veggies in general though).

Don't have any hotel recommendations. Usually when folks come they stay in our little apartment in Chelsea (I'm too nice), although when my sister comes, also in January, with her husband for a musicians conference (I didn't know you guys had conferences ;-) they will stay at the Marriott Marquis.

I get free tickets from Equity. Even though I no longer perform, getting my Equity card was a lifetime (well from 14 years old anyway) dream and I couldn't imagine either resigning from the Union or going on withdrawal so I just pay the twice a year dues. Getting two free Broadway tickets makes up for paying my dues. I also get very cheap tickets through TDF and we have friends who live in Manhattan Plaza (the subsidized residence for artists). Free tix are often distributed there as well and we get notified by our friends. It's how Anthony got to see Florence Henderson in the Singular Sensations Series. I was in Cleveland when he went so I was unable to go. He enjoyed it a lot and we're disappointed that they canceled the rest of the run. Carol Channing was a big success and then Donna Macheknie (boy did I mangle that, I can't remember how to spell her name!!!) did not sell as well and Florence hardly sold at all. They decided to cut their losses (to go back to an earlier topic today) and shut down after Florence this past Sunday. Oh, well.

P.S. I'm having the problem that Dan-in-Toronto mentioned very early after the board changed over. I never had it before but it began today. I come to the board and even though I have a cookie from a previous session, I need to log in. I check always remain logged in when I sign in but to no avail. I've been to the site many times today and each time I get here as "guest" and I need to log in again. Oh, well, this is my last day on this computer for a month so it's not a big issue. I'll see how it goes on the home PC.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2003, 07:39:45 AM »

Good morning! Short day at work for me today! Hurray! And then a long weekend! Hurray again!  ;D

You know I always come up with questions for ask BK/DR day, but when that day finally rolls around I have forgotten what it was that I wanted to ask!

When I think of a question I will return!

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2003, 07:40:31 AM »

As far as Swishy Sarah's announcement that she was to become the the new Mrs. Mark Bakalor, she may have to put up a fight.  i was hoping to be the new Mrs.Mark Bakalor.  He very graciously declined my proposal (or was it a proposition?) about  a year ago, but he's still on my list of hotties, and I have not given up hope.  There's just something about him.  Don't worrry, Jason and Jose and Ben and Ant, you're still on the list too.

By the way, Tom from OZ, -- great new picture of you.

I did NOT read the blurbs yesterday  and won't until AFTER  I read the book.  It's just one of my things.

More later.
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2003, 07:44:34 AM »

Kerry: You sweetheart <blush>. Thanks, I'll let Ant know what you said.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2003, 07:46:19 AM »

DR Jose: Unlike DR Ben I love the giblets! But I have never really liked dressing that much. I think it just depends on how it is prepared. There is some spice that goes in to it (at least in my family) that I abhor and so I just can't eat it. Aside from that anything else on the table is not likely to escape my gaping maw!

Ben

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2003, 07:46:57 AM »

Miss Jennifer, you must post, post-haste today so you can attain your Goddess status. At this point, 49 posts separate us. Post away my Canadian pretty. I'll have something to work toward.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 07:47:47 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2003, 07:48:49 AM »

DR BEN - I think I have seen a novelization of that Tammy movie - but that illustration from a Sandra Dee Appreciation Site is a cropped Lobby Card, no doubt.

My favorite  tv doctor is Dr. Kildare!   Although Dr Joe (that's a copout!) Gannon is a close second.  Dr Marcus Welby is probably the tv doctor I would most trust.  ;D

Favorite movie doctor is Dr. Quintus Ratcliff from The Undead who hypnotized a patient into the past, joined her and got stuck there!

Hmmmmmm...doctor in literature....hmmmmmm.....probably Dr. Watson who helped Sherlock Holmes on all his cases!

Least favorite side dish?  Spinach or broccoli.  I liked Jose's idea of massed potatoes!

I wonder if DR Jose's mystery guest plays the drums?  ;)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 07:49:13 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2003, 07:53:57 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm.....how nice that I have at last escaped the ranks of hottie-dom.

Emily

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2003, 07:54:44 AM »

Good morning everyone!

I spent a delightful evening on a MSN four-way (take your minds out of the gutter!) with Swishy, Andrea and Mr. Mark Bakalor.  I think S, A and I all proposed to Mark at least once, but Swishy was the only one with any success.  Supposedly I am too belligerent in my proposal style and must work on easing-down on my "wanna marry me?" technique. I say Pshaw!  Pshaw I say!  I am never belligerent! ;)

I also did NOT send Swishy any selections from Urban Cowboy, Avenue Q nor Zanna Don't during the evening.  I am a perfectly law-abiding person! ;)

My Question for ASK DR Day:

If you had the chance to play any role in any musical or play, which role would it be?  This is a question that does NOT take into consideration whether you have talent or not.

I think I would like to be Cathy in the Last Five Years (big shock there I know) or maybe Penny Pingleton in Hairspray.  I also think it would be fun to be Maureen in Rent and get to do the whole "Cow Jumped Over the Moon" comedy bit.  If only I could actually sing.  Details, detail! :)

My Answer for DR Jose:

I really hate stuffing, or dressing or whatever you call bread soaked in turkey fat.  People rave about it but I just don't like it.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2003, 07:57:08 AM »

Good morning.  Got to run off to work but let me get a few answers in:

Favorite television doctors: Dr. Kildare and the doctors in The Twilight Zone episode, Eye of the Beholder.  Favorite foreign doctor, Dr. Genessier in Eyes without a Face.  Favorite movie doctor, Dr. No.

DVD question: I have many unwatched DVDs, but, yes, I do occasionally end up watching one of the ones I've seen - I have a few movies that I never tire of and I do enjoy watching them over and over.  Or, I'll watch part of a favorite DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2003, 08:00:00 AM »

Favorite TV doctor was definitely BEN CASEY. I bought the sheet music to the BEN CASEY theme just to get the fabulous picture of hairy and hunky Vince Edwards all my very own. If I can rifle through some music without the gun going off, I'll post the cover of that music later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2003, 08:02:52 AM »

Maury Dexter - I sure know the name but I'd have to look him up to see what his credits are.

DVDs of the year: Once Upon a Time in the West and America, certainly.  Finding Nemo is the best-looking DVD of the year, in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo).  Guilty pleasure-wise, I'd add The Swimmer, The Groucho set and I'm sure I'll think of others as the day goes by.

I don't have an eBay nemesis now, but I certainly had a few in the early days.  I used to get quite angry before I knew about sniping.  I used to write people and express my annoyance.  I actually made a couple of nice Internet friends who were very helpful because of that.  But yes, especially with art, there were always two or three of us bidding on the same things in those days.  Now, you basically can't give art away - no one is buying it right now, and there just aren't very many good pieces up these days and the ones that are up have reserves that preclude one from getting a bargain like in the old days.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2003, 08:03:18 AM »

Good morning all!  And wishes for a speedy recovery for Colin!

The subject of the day in our house is Cookies!  Not the things some sites load into your computer, and not the ones featured in Anyone Can Whistle, but the ones you put in your mouth and munch upon.  The hungry der Brucer is on a cookie kick, because we have a new pair of ovens and a new KitchenAid mixer and he is itching to start using them.

I spent the tail end of last night running through some of my cookbooks, and probably have some more research to do, picking out a variety of varieties to make.  Good ol' Toll House Cookies are a must, of course.  So are Sugar Cookies, the sort where you roll the dough in a ball, cover the ball with colored sugar, and flatten with the base of a glass before baking.  Then there are Skickerdoodles and Oatmeal Cookies, and Gingersnaps.  Der Brucer has a special jones going for Spritz cookies, the kind that are made with a cookie press (because he spotted a press at a kitchen toy store, and couldn't resist).  

Rolled cookies, like Gingerbread Men, might have to wait a little bit: we've plenty of counter space in the new kitchen, but it all has cabinetry hanging overhead, making rolling out the dough a problem.  And while we've plans for a table in the middle of the kitchen, I'm insisting that it be taller than usual, since I'm tall and like to work standing up, not hunched over, and most of the tables we've seen that look right are shorter than the counters!

This doesn't even begin to consider bar cookies and brownies, which are a whole world unto themselves!

So, a question to BK and all the H&Ks: what kinds of cookies are your favorites?  Both to make, and to munch on?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2003, 08:10:36 AM »

Sugar cookies are my current obsession.  Hot, right out of the oven.  And I like coconut macadamia nut cookies from Mrs. Fields.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2003, 08:10:49 AM »

Well, I don't make cookies or bake cookies - but my favorites are wafer cookies and Pecan Sandies!

Mr Maury Dexter produced/director among other films "The Young Runaways" and "The High Powered Rifle."  He also did a lot of television directing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2003, 08:11:22 AM »

As for Doctors, I never got to see any of the episodes with William Hartnell or Patrick Troughton, so I can't have an opinion about them.  Jon Pertwee was fine, Tom Baker totally loopy, Peter Davison ernest if a little bland.  Colin Baker was too acidic for the role, but Sylvester McCoy got the balance just right.  The TV movie of '96 with Paul McGann hardly counts.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2003, 08:15:41 AM »

DR MBARNUM of the short day and gaping maw....did you ever locate Miss Dorothy Provine's address?

Also - the internet is such an interesting place.  Yesterday while searching around for new information on Miss Allison Hayes, I discovered a Canadian site that is dedicated to her 1958 film "Wolf Dog."  

The site is maintained by residents of the town of Markdale, Ontario, where the movie was filmed in August of 1957.  There were many messages and notes from the participants about their efforts in trying to track down a copy of the film.

Well, DR's, I got a copy of it on EBAY a year ago, so I contacted the Webmaster.  He was excited to hear the news, and I will make him a copy and send it along!  

So if you are looking for a "lost" film, or if you wonder if anyone has something you would like to see or hear, never give up!  Someone has it!  I love the internet!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2003, 08:16:52 AM »

I've been away--what's this about a HHW gathering in Portland?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2003, 08:19:35 AM »

In approximately 15 minutes I will be gone (at least from work). I'm salivating at the thought. Also at the thought of good Ginger Snaps. They are my favorite, although a nice, warm oatmeal raisin cookie can make me smile. If there are none of those, then a warm tollhouse cookie will certainly do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2003, 08:22:26 AM »

Paper is done!!!  Edited, footnoted, and ready to be handed in.  Now I only two more papers EVER to do during my college career.  Yay!!!!

Jed - what on earth were you doing still awake at 3 am?  I sure hope the phone didn't ring this morning at 6...

Emily

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2003, 08:23:13 AM »

ooh... I like ginger snaps too Ben.

You can buy the thick Swedish kind at the IKEA food mart (something which explains my obsession with IKEA!)

:D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 08:23:37 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2003, 08:24:01 AM »

congrats ann...

I can't wait until I can say: "no nore papers ever!"

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2003, 08:29:17 AM »

Cookies - an obsession at my house in just about any size, shape, or flavor. Sugar cookies at this time of year are REQUIRED.

Store bought favorite is Nutter Butter, but truly, there aren't many cookies out there that I don't like. I overdosed as a kid on Pecan Sandies and haven't had them in years remembering how stuffed I got on them once.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2003, 08:29:33 AM »

JRand53 that is cool about the Wolf Dog website. Can you e-mail that to me? Did anyone in that town recall the buxom Ms. Hayes? We should start a campaign to get Fox Movie Channel to show Wolf Dog and High Powered Rifle! They must have them in their collection.

SWW: Favorite cookie is homemade (from scratch) chocolate chip cookies with walnuts! Yumm, yumm, yummm. Next up would be homemade peanut butter cookies! 3rd are those chocolate no bake cookies.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2003, 08:39:13 AM »

Hello!  I took a nap last night (I know, I know....what am I doing taking a nap last NIGHT???) and woke up to find out that the server was down and I couldn't get online OR IM.  And what do I find out happened in the interim??  Swishy, Emily, Andrea and Mark had a 4 way on MSN (which I have finally registered for) AND Mark took Swishy as his teenage bride.  HMPPH!  Well, where does that leave me???  I suppose I shall have to wait for Brent Barrett to propose to me...I could be waiting a while.

Hmmm....roles I would like to play...

Mama Rose of course.  But I suppose I would have to content myself with Louise til I'm old enough to play Mama.

Fanny Brice

Dot in SITPWG

Luisa Contini

Eliza Doolittle

This is a VERY partial list!

Jennifer--Glad you liked my Goddess song!

TFO--Best wishes to Colin!  (And that also goes for Jose and his sinuses)!

Ben--thanks for the Boy from Oz review!  Why didn't I buy tickets to see Sex on Toast for my upcoming NYC trip???

Emily

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2003, 08:41:49 AM »

Maya what e-mail address are you using with MSN.  I'll add you to my list (and give you the contact info for the other DRs on MSN so you can add them to yours!) :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2003, 08:43:16 AM »

Four ways on MSN.  It becomes clear why CERTAIN people are NOT posting in the evening, does it not.  Oh, yes, it becomes clear - but let them have their MSN - the good stuff is going on here.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2003, 08:43:46 AM »

My regular e-mail address, Miss Em...bwaybabie@hotmail.com

Please do send me yours and everyone else's name!  And to quote that great chanteuse Pink...let's get the party started!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2003, 08:45:08 AM »

LOL, BK!  Of course the REAL party is always at HHW!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up