Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVEN FOREFEND  (Read 25745 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:HEAVEN FOREFEND
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2003, 08:55:04 AM »

If you had the chance to play any role in any musical or play, which role would it be?  This is a question that does NOT take into consideration whether you have talent or not.

I think I would like to be Cathy in the Last Five Years (big shock there I know)

Actually, this IS a big shock to me.  You'd like to play a character who spends virtually no time on stage relating to another character?  I'd think this would be rather lonely.  Of course, one could always do a one-person show and be just as lonely.

I always wanted to be J. Pierrepont Finch in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying

Ask DR Charles Pogue: Where does your Frank Loesser quote come from and in what context did he say it?  Loesser's my favorite songwriter; in many ways, I aspire to be him (sans the first bad marriage, sans smoking).

Ask BK: Where does one go for good ceviche in your town?

The only cookie I eat nowadays is Oatmeal Raisin.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2003, 08:58:39 AM »

I loooove chocolate chip cookies...but sugar cookies are delish too.

Noel--Is Where's Charley a good show??  We're doing that show next spring...one of the Loesser shows I'm not all that familiar with.  Any info would be very welcome!  

Emily

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2003, 09:05:23 AM »

Actually, this IS a big shock to me.  You'd like to play a character who spends virtually no time on stage relating to another character?  I'd think this would be rather lonely.  Of course, one could always do a one-person show and be just as lonely.

What can I say, Noel - I'm a loner ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:05:47 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2003, 09:08:10 AM »

I like Where's Charley? a lot, and know it, mostly, from the rather faithful movie that was made, with Ray Bolger repeating his Broadway role.  Oddly, there was no original Broadway cast recording made.  If it's not as good as the three Loesser masterpieces, realize that nothing could be as good as:
Guys and Dolls
The Most Happy Fella
and
How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying

But Where's Charley has the sing-along standard Once In Love With Amy, one of the best-ever duets Make a Miracle, and the eminently hummable Lovelier That Ever.  It's based on a famous farce, Charley's Aunt, and it's all in good fun.

I usually dislike drag, but the drag in this show is similar to Some Like It Hot (and Sugar) - the hero dons a dress to escape a predicament.  So, the drag's not making a mockery of anyone or any gender.

What more can I tell you?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2003, 09:11:33 AM »

Read your email, DRMBarnum...I sent you the link to the Wolf Dog site.

I can only say, my imagination is going wild at the thought of Mabel Douglas, (wife of the owner of the gas station in Markdale, Ontario,) who ran a beauty shop in the back of her husband's station, doing Allison's hair for the movie.  Location work can be so glamorous!  And I have to admit her hair looks great in the movie!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:11:46 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2003, 09:15:58 AM »

Thanks, Noel!  I knew I could count on you for some good info!

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2003, 09:18:47 AM »

Wow, I have never seen that Wolf Dog shot of Allison!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2003, 09:20:14 AM »

I can just imagine Emily's one woman show...

THE EMILY SHOW

*dance, dance, procrastinate, twirl, procrastinate more, write a page, dance, finish paper*

(Insert anecdote about strained Mali-Ivory Coast relations here)

*dance, dance, flirt, be a tart, dance, flirt with Skippy, dance, dance*

(Sings JRB song)

BOWS!!!

:P :P :P

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2003, 09:21:45 AM »

You all know how there are message boards and sites where the preponderance of posters are pettily predisposed toward pissing on everything?  (Alliteration is not my strong suit, so when I get the chance, I try to cut loose).

One of my interests is film music and there are sites where film music is the order of the day.  And there are many worthy contributors, normally, toward discussion of same and some of them have extensively researched the subject and have fascinating things to share about the processes of film scoring, including soundstage anecdotes about specific scoring sessions, etc.

And we get something similar here and in Ken Mandelbaum's column, and elsewhere, about Broadway musicals and how scores are developed and shaped.

At any rate, one of the specialty labels that caters to the film music community is Varese Sarabande (for whom BK produced many of his wonderful theater recordings, as well as his Titanic opus).  And our very own Nick Redman has -- for more than a decade -- been THE leader in the film score preservation arena and has helmed many hundreds of film score recordings from the gold and silver ages of Hollywood's great past.

One of Nick's first presentations, a decade ago, was the first-ever release of original music tracks, mostly in stereo, from one of Hollywood's greatest movie scores -- Alfred Newmans' "The Robe."  At that time, Nick was working at Fox with folks in the music department trying to get as much done with as few dollars as he could amass in an attempt to get music out of the storied Fox vaults (probably the greatest music treasure trove in the world for variety of scores by a variety of composers) in a special series of recordings to be issued by Fox.  Among them were "Laura" and "How Green Was My Valley."  But for many of us, "The Robe" was the piece de resistance.  For the most part this one-CD, 60-plus-minute recording was superb, but we all missed a significant cue called "Crucifixion."  As the liner notes pointed out, though, this cue was available in a re-recorded form on the original score release on Decca (an album that never went out of print on LP) and subsequently issued on a Varese CD.  Conducted by Newman himself, the album was a faster-paced presentation of the music, but that one cue was quite comparable to the original.  At that time, to have acquired the missing cue, they would have had to go to much greater expense in researching and performiing preservation on the film's original master elements.  This was not practicable at that time, as I understand it.

Now, 11 years later, Redman has overseen the restoration of nearly 500 (if I have the figure correct) Fox scores (around 200 have been issued on CD), and the Varese CD Collector's Club (established to provide limited runs -- less costly -- of CDs for fans of much-desired scores) has issued many of these treasures to the delight of collectors everywhere.

Sure, there are always a few sour grapes when someone doesn't like every one of the titles issued every three-four months, but mostly, raves ensue.

This week, Varese announced three new Club titles.  One is a special treat -- a 50th Anniversary, 2-CD presentation of "The Robe" mastered from the film's original elements, and presenting an additional 30 minutes of music.  This remastering from original elements means they've gone to the source and worked with the original recording, rather than using something mixed down by someone else (the source of the first CD was reportedly a two-track mixdown).  So far as I know, all the cues are in stereo, and the score is 99% complete (if one film score fanatic who tracks such things is correct, citing two missing cues of a mere few seconds each).

For a film music lover, this is a cause for wild celebration and merriment.  It's one of the true masterworks of cinematic music scoring by one of its greatest artists, Alfred Newman.

Today, I found a couple of items in my mailbox from a film music discussion list.  One was by a member who legally represents film composers, and the other was by a man whose opinion I've respected for many years.

And both were bitching -- bitching because a label has the temerity to foist "another" recording of this score with just a few extra minutes (30 minutes!!!) of music on the CD-buying public.  And what will happen in another 10 years, they asked?  Will newer, better source material be found to warrant at 3-CD release?

Can you imagine this, my fellow Kimlets?  BITCHING about something they've never had access to before -- a master-reference recording of a complete work NEVER before issued in its entirety and a good 33% longer than previous recordings?  This would be the same, to me, of somone reissuing "Gypsy," but with the original performers singing different versions of some songs and including songs that were dropped!  Maybe only 10 minutes of new material...BUT WOW!  What NEW material!!!

I say to hell with bitch-slapping!  I say call out the uzis and let's get this fershluganah firing squad all het up!

I want to be the one to call the "Fire" command and I deny them blindfolds.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 01:46:30 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2003, 09:21:49 AM »

Maya MyPapaya - DR Noel is correct.  It is a fun score, and a very funny show.  The point of view is a bit changed from the play CHARLEY'S AUNT, but it just as funny...."Make a Miracle" is probably my favorite song from the score.  I thought there was a cast recording, but it may be from a later production, or I may be thinking of the movie soundtrack....I defer to DR Noel in this regard.

Depending of course upon the director, you could have  a LOT of fun in this show.  Think THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST with music and a man in a dress.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2003, 09:23:20 AM »

I'm afraid I don't know from ceviche.  I don't even know what it is.  

Does anyone else think that Mr. Mark Bakalor's hormones are raging?  Yes, I think we got us a case of raging hormones here at haineshisway.com

Emily

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2003, 09:25:15 AM »

check out the breaking news on CNN...  I think this might be considered a slow news day :)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/11/26/squirrels.memory.reut/index.html

What colour squirrels do you have where you live?  Here they are the grey forgetful ones...

Maya - I love the show idea.  Now all I need is a producer... :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2003, 09:25:38 AM »

Here here, Ron!

The 'State Fair' and 'Best of Everything'  CD's are also worthy of my mention.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:26:01 AM by JRand53 »

Emily

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2003, 09:27:25 AM »

BK - ceviche is a spanish/mexican seafood salad.

You take raw seafood and a bowl.  You put the seafood in the bowl.  You toss the seafood in lemon or lime juice.  The acid in the juice turns the seafood slightly less translucent.  You add some cilantro and other spices as is your wont.  You munch.

I love ceviche.  It is one of my absolute favorite fish dishes. :D

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2003, 09:27:54 AM »

Thanks, Jrand!  I'm glad that I have input from two DR's whose opinions I trust a great deal!  The thing is...I know the perfect guy to play Charley.  He looooves dressing up!

Ron--Firing squads??  LOL...how very violent!  :P  Can't you just spray them with Super Soakers??

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2003, 09:31:02 AM »

Ceviche sounds soooo good....

Well, maybe BK might be interested in putting up the Emily Show???  Maybe THAT can fill the theatre that Taboo will most likely soon be vacating!

Can't you just tell that I am in a very mischeivous mood right now??? :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:32:17 AM by Maya »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2003, 09:33:43 AM »

And strangely enough Maya - in the original play it is Babberly a friend of Jack's and Charley's who is disguised as the aunt....but in the musical, Charley himself takes over the chore.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2003, 09:38:38 AM »

Dear MayaMark'sPapaya:  No, Super Soakers is too good for the likes of them.

They're too stupid to live, sez I!  But maybe uzis are a bit much.

"Off with their heads!" cried the Red Queen!

But I think they should keep their heads...they're obviously of no use to anyone!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:52:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Emily

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2003, 09:39:24 AM »

Just thought you all might want to know that the Where's Waldo?  books that were popular in the early 90s were actually called Oł est Charlie? or Where's Charlie?

Your conversation is making me think of that... :)

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2003, 09:44:01 AM »

Miss Jennifer, you must post, post-haste today so you can attain your Goddess status. At this point, 49 posts separate us. Post away my Canadian pretty. I'll have something to work toward.

Ahh shucks I thought you didn't notice.

Yep I will do it today.

But I was just reading the notes first. And I really want to read the newest entry to Juliana's journal.

Emily

« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2003, 09:45:03 AM »

Jennifer you are 10 posts away from Goddess (if Mark understood our threats)!!!

Snaps to you! :D

Philip Crosby

• Another German tourist just got off of the plane .
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2003, 09:46:26 AM »

This is my first actual post in this wild new community forum format.  Many computer problems and personal traumas in November, so I am just now catching up.

Congrats, BK, on Ken Mandelbaum's lovely review of SCARLET STREET.   My question for you, what's up next?
Philip Crosby

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2003, 09:50:25 AM »

BK - ceviche is a spanish/mexican seafood salad.

You take raw seafood and a bowl.  You put the seafood in the bowl.  You toss the seafood in lemon or lime juice.  The acid in the juice turns the seafood slightly less translucent.  You add some cilantro and other spices as is your wont.  You munch.

I love ceviche.  It is one of my absolute favorite fish dishes. :D

Okay I have never heard of this. What kind of raw seafood? Where would I find this?

Btw, I am sorry to whoever I offended this time.  Not my intention.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2003, 09:53:22 AM »

Jennifer you are 10 posts away from Goddess (if Mark understood our threats)!!!

Snaps to you! :D

I did not see any threats? :)

Well I'm expecting the worst. And then I'm expecting Ms Maya to take care of this for us.

Btw, did you take the quiz?  Why did nobody take the quiz? :(

http://www.paleothea.com/quiz.html

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2003, 09:57:40 AM »

Welcome back on board DR Philip Crosby!

Matt did you get all your movies recorded? I taped two of the Hildegarde Withers films which I am transferring to DVD (I don't have a dvd recorder so must go from tape to computer to dvd) and taped on of the Miss Marple films, the one that takes place during a play or something along those lines.

Emily

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2003, 10:00:02 AM »

I am athena.  

Now you can't say I didn't take the test Jen (with one "n") :)

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2003, 10:01:53 AM »

P.S. I'm having the problem that Dan-in-Toronto mentioned very early after the board changed over. I never had it before but it began today. I come to the board and even though I have a cookie from a previous session, I need to log in. I check always remain logged in when I sign in but to no avail. I've been to the site many times today and each time I get here as "guest" and I need to log in again. Oh, well, this is my last day on this computer for a month so it's not a big issue. I'll see how it goes on the home PC.

I have a problem a little bit like this. When I log on to haineshisway.com/community I am logged in as a guest. But when I just simply click on the discussions, I get logged in automatically. It's bizarre. But it happens every single day.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2003, 10:04:48 AM »

Help - My backspace key got stuck and erased my whole message which I will now try to recreate!

I love WHERE'S CHARLEY.  It opened during a recording strike so there was no OBC made (when the strike ended 2 songs were recorded by the cast but that's all).  There is a British Cast album which was reissued on CD, but it stars Norman Wisdom instead of Ray Bolger and as one critic said (about WALKING HAPPY) "If this is Norman Wisdom I'll take Saxon Folly".  Still it does show off the score fairly well.  The book is a good adaptation of the classic play, although I don't like the fact that the musical combines Fancourt Baberly and Charley Wickham into one character and eliminates Ella Delahay completely.  Still it is a far better musical than most of what is being written today and I hope that Encores, Mufti or some other group revives it.  Christopher Fitzgerald did it in stock last year and he would be perfect for the role in a NY production.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2003, 10:07:07 AM »

I am athena.  

Now you can't say I didn't take the test Jen (with one "n") :)

Okay good. Which goddess is she?

I am going to go  :'(  now.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2003, 10:09:46 AM »

Best wishes to DF (Dear Friend) (oh, a She Loves Me reference) of Dear Reader Tom from Oz Colin for a very speedy recovery!

So many questions!

Never met a cookie I didn't like.  (And it shows.)

If I were never served candied yams ever again I would be quite content.  

I, too, would love to play Mama Rose, but I fear the notion of gender-blind casting has just not taken hold yet, Hairspray notwithstanding.  Second choice would be Tevye.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up