Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: POACHED EGGS  (Read 48190 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:POACHED EGGS
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005, 09:33:58 AM »

As for stage works...A CHORUS LINE would head that list unquestionably.
I'm glad you said stage works.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2005, 09:42:19 AM »

For me:  Singin' In The Rain, A Chorus Line, Footlight Parade, Enter Laughing (I haven't seen it since it came out, so I don't know if it holds up, but I sure loved it back then), The Stunt Man, parts of Stage Struck, All About Eve, and I'll think of others.

Isn't it interesting that at least four things I've written all are backstage things: Stages, Together Again, Writer's Block, The First Nudie Musical.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2005, 09:43:55 AM »

I read this morning that President Bush is speaking to the nation on Sunday night at 9, but I guess ABC's ONCE UPON A MATTRESS will be over by then. I assume it starts at 7. Haven't checked the listings to make sure, but I'm guessing that's when it will air.

Who else is planning to watch it?
The President, or OUaM?

All this becomes even more problematical for the WestCoasters, who would be getting the President at 6.  Exactly how this would mesh with the football games being aired on CBS is even more uncertain: could George W. become the new Heidi?

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2005, 09:50:25 AM »

Greetings everyone!

In response to MattH's question, I will plan to watch OUaM.  Our holiday gathering will overlap with it so I will probably have to tape it and watch later unless everyone feels like watching it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2005, 09:51:16 AM »

It was one-hundred and sixty-two years ago, in 1843, that a Holiday classic made it's debut.  That day marked the first release of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

“Oh! All that steam! The pudding had just been taken out of the cauldron. Oh! That smell! The same as the one which prevailed on washing day! It is that of the cloth which wraps the pudding. Now, one would imagine oneself in a restaurant and in a confectioner's at the same time, with a laundry nest door. Thirty seconds later, Mrs. Cratchit entered, her face crimson, but smiling proudly, with the pudding resembling a cannon ball, all speckled, very firm, sprinkled with brandy in flames, and decorated with a sprig of holly stuck in the centre. Oh! The marvelous pudding!”

Now, that's good writing!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:30 AM »

The Stunt Man

Now I could have sworn you gave one of your patented curmudgeonly thumbs down to this film when it came out on DVD many years ago.  But maybe I'm thinking of someone else.  You may know that its director credits a certain "fictionalizing" Seattle film critic with saving the film due to his rave review after the studio didn't want to release it (sound familiar? ;) ).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:57 AM »

We also need to crank up our WaBac Machine today, setting it for 1892, St. Petersberg, Russia.  What happened then?  The first production of Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker, of course!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2005, 10:00:01 AM »

Has anyone mentioned THE DRESSER with Albert Finney?  And was it Tom Courtenay?  Can't recall right now.   ???
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2005, 10:04:18 AM »

Saturday greetings!  This is my last Sat. to work until January 28, and I just completed one of my favorite tasks - teaching this month's version my 3-hour Grantseeking Basics workshop.  Had a great audience of 15, including two new part-time librarians in my department who will be helping me.

TOD - many have already been mentioned, but I also liked the stage version of Noises Off and this year's movie Being Julia.  And Fame, both the movie (which DR elmore and I saw together in NYC) and the TV show.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2005, 10:10:17 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Thank you for mentioning the Wright Brothers.  They're a pretty big deal here at Dayton Metro Library.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2005, 10:12:23 AM »

Has anyone mentioned THE DRESSER with Albert Finney?  And was it Tom Courtenay?  Can't recall right now.   ???
Finney and Courtenay, play by Ronald Harwood.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2005, 10:20:20 AM »

I don't think I gave a thumb's down - I find it a quirky film - not in my pantheon, obviously, but well done with a terrific score by Dominic Frontiere.  However, I might have given it a thumb's down, you never know.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2005, 10:21:43 AM »

She of the Bamboo Blinds was supposed to be here at ten - she still isn't here (on her way, I'm told), so she of the Evil Eye has been giving me double and triple whammys this morning.  On another note (Gb), she of the Evil Eye and I flipped the mattress in honor of Once Upon A Mattress.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2005, 10:27:15 AM »

My turntable has finally died after 30+ years of operation.  How expensive are they now??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »

You can find a turntable for a couple hundred bucks.  Or cheaper.

Fifteen minutes ago she was "on her way" her way being about ten minutes from here.  Still not here, and I'm not willing to endure the Evil Eye much longer.

FJL

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2005, 11:09:19 AM »

I agree about a lot of the works mentioned for the topic of the day.  I'd add CITY OF ANGELS as a favorite if the category can be stretched to include it, in part due to my current Cy Coleman addiction.  I didn't actually see SEESAW, but I'd probably add that based on the cast album since there's a lot of backstage stuff in it.

On the guilty pleasure front, I'd add the Strouse-Adams one-nighter A BROADWAY MUSICAL, which I found utterly fascinating, as well as the Lauren Bacall-Michael Biehn-Maureen Stapleton film THE FAN.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2005, 11:11:12 AM »

Favorite TV series involving backstage theater stuff - THE NANNY

FJL

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2005, 11:13:42 AM »

When Cirque du Soleil opened Zumanity, its Vegas circus show about human sexuality (as opposed to inhuman sexuality), didn't some wag term it STUNTS UPON A MATTRESS?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2005, 11:28:11 AM »

THE DRESSER is a terrific film.

François de Paris

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2005, 11:40:22 AM »

Word Of the Day:  I like Beethoven's  6th - The Bucolic.
Good music for shepherds to wash their socks by night.

Sheperds?

No! It's all about centaurs and centaurettes, cupids and Pegassus and Zeus! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2005, 11:41:15 AM »

Yesterday DR Jane said...............

I am re-reading David Copperfield, all 800 plus pages.  This time around it is taking me much longer than usual to read, but then I know how it ends.

He stills doesn't marry Claudia Schiffer,  Las Vegas, he tours with his magic act and does the occasional tv special.

I LIKE that! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2005, 11:42:23 AM »

BUCOLIC?

That new movie with Matt Dillon?!

François de Paris

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »

I read this morning that President Bush is speaking to the nation on Sunday night at 9, but I guess ABC's ONCE UPON A MATTRESS will be over by then. I assume it starts at 7. Haven't checked the listings to make sure, but I'm guessing that's when it will air.

Who else is planning to watch it?

President Bush has a speaking part in Once Upon a Mattress?! :o

And I thought he could sing and dance! So much for rumors!! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2005, 11:59:32 AM »

New songs by Jody, Lea and Judy!

http://magicmusic.net/princesschristmas.htm

François de Paris

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »

Hello, Jane!

Hello, George!

Hello, François!

-- Hey? Gosh! That's me! --

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »

Hi, François!  I'm just sitting here like so much fish. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2005, 12:09:48 PM »

Hi, François!  I'm just sitting here like so much fish. ;)
Me, I'm sitting on top of the World, no less! ;)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2005, 12:16:25 PM »

Me, I'm sitting on top of the World, no less! ;)

Looking.... down on creation (I'm sure)

François de Paris

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2005, 12:19:11 PM »

George, do you know that Acapella Manhattan Transfer Xmas cd?

I've just discovered that on Amazon last night!

François de Paris

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2005, 12:20:11 PM »

Looking.... down on creation (I'm sure)

Yes, but the view is blurry! :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up