Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DIABOLICAL GLEE  (Read 52518 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:DIABOLICAL GLEE
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2005, 09:07:15 AM »

Jason, your story reminds me of what my sisters used to do:  they would wait until my Mom had left the house, then they would carefully unwrap the "relative" presents, which were kept under the tree, to see what they had gotten.  This is because it was a family tradition for us to play "Karnak" and predict what was in the wrapped presents (I was always 100% accurate in predicting sweaters from my Aunts--see post above, LOL).  So anyway they unwrapped these two boxes one year and discovered hair dryer boxes.  So of course on Christmas Eve they predicted hair dryers, but upon opening the actual boxes, it turned out it was something else which I can't remember, probably sweaters  ;D.  At which point my Mother burst out laughing and exclaimed, "Do you think I don't know what you do when I'm gone?  I put that stuff in the hair dryer boxes just to teach you a lesson."  Of course the only lesson learned was that they shouldn't "stop" at the box--they had to actually open it, too, to really know what they were getting!   ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 09:08:15 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2005, 09:09:51 AM »

Is there any end in sight to the NYC strike? That $1 million a day fine should get some people moving, but it seems to have only made them more resolute to resist.

What is even more suprising is that the International  Union said that the Local should stop the strike and go back to the bargaining table.  I think the Local president is an ass who painted himself into a corner and is impacting on millions of people's lives to coddle his own ego,  The strikers are personally liable for 2 days pay for every day they strike  so after a few days they will ahve essentially lost any salwary increase they would have gotten.  Meantime the MTA has conceded to their absurd demands for a full pension at the age of 55 and is only requiring the new employees increase  their contribution to the pension find to 6% from the current 2%  and they only have tomake this contribution for 10 years.   As someone who is currently contributing 20% to a 401 K which does not guarantee  I'll see a single plugged nickel after the stock market finishes raping me I do not think this is unreasonable.   >:(

These transist workers ands their idiot president should wake up and smell the coffee and see how things work in
the real world.  And now some of these idiots are trying to paly "the race card" saying that the MTA is taking advanteg of their worker because the majority of them are "minorities"   PUHLEEZE!  ::) I'll trade salaries, and benefits with most of them in a flash... and its damn nice having a guaranteed job too... not too bloody likely there are going to be layoffs in the transist system is it?    >:( :(

Oh dear I am ranting again...  :Pand here it is the season of good cheer and good will.. :-[

Love and joy come to you, and to you your wassail too, and God bless you and send you a  happy new year and God send you happy new year!!!!!

:D

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2005, 09:10:44 AM »

DR JMK: Ha! I used to do the same thing. Actually, I did it just last year... :-X

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2005, 09:22:35 AM »

DR JMK: Ha! I used to do the same thing. Actually, I did it just last year... :-X

I found out my mother used to unwrap her gifyts while we were out of the house. So one year I wrapped all the presents in really expensive silver foil wrap, the kind that is impossible to open with out ruining it, and to complete the agony I used those fancy wire ribbons to wrap around and create fancy bows (soemthing my craft challenged mom cannot do) and used a diffderent colored ribbon for each family member, so no gift tags were needed! Not only couldn't she unwrap the presents without being found out, she didn't even know which presents were for whom.  Oh it drove her crazy!! ;D

Hmmmm maybe this explains the presents I have been receiving... it could be delayed payback!

:D

Jason

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2005, 09:24:48 AM »

DR Vixmom: Well said. I heard someone say today that the average bus driver makes $63,000/year. On AVERAGE! I have a Masters degree and work full-time and I make less than half of that amount, and nobody's paying nuthin' into my pension plan.

I understand wanting more money, benefits and job security - hell, we all want that - and I can imagine if I had to work in dark tunnels with huge trains speeding toward me while I was dodging rats and God knows what else, I'd want more money, too, but I'd like to know who retires at age 50 these days? And how is it that they get paid more than cops, firemen and teachers??

This Toussaint guy is very quickly going to lose public support for their cause if he lets this strike go on much longer. I just read in CNN that the local union is now going to appeal the $1 million/day fine for what is blatantly an illegal strike. Unbelievable. Do they really think they're going to get away with this with no penalty??

And regarding the individual fine of 2 days' pay per strike day: That's in addition to the day's pay they're losing on the actual day of the strike, so in reality, they're losing 3 days' pay for every day they're not working. How much longer can THAT go on??

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2005, 09:34:01 AM »

Toussaint is behaving like a horse's ass, and I hope the union workers, when they realize he's screwing them worse than the MTA, give him the Merry Christmas he deserves.  I've always felt that if a worker demands $1,000,000 year and an employer is willing to give it, good for them.  however, as a person who pays his own health nsurance (no dental!) which increases yearly, has to deal with his own taxes, not to mention cash flow problems with recalcitrant employers, the transit workers still make more than I- regularly - and they don't know how lucky they have it.  

I just came from the post office where the lines are ridiculous.  I needed to buy a priority mail stamp from a machine.  Of the three, two were out of order and the stamp I needed wasn't available in the working machine!
 This is my coloring book.  Color me fucking pissed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 09:52:46 AM »

This is my coloring book.  Color me fucking pissed.

ROTFLMAO.  Little known fact:  this was actually part of the original lyric, which Barbra recorded.  It's well-hidden on the Streisand Archives site.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 10:03:45 AM »

For one of those gift exchanges at work (my previous job), a woman gave me a shirt made of the scratchiest synthetic imaginable.  On top of which, it was emblazoned with the Playboy bunny logo where there would have been a pocket, if it had had a pocket.  This occurred well after I was out of the closet at that job.  She never did understand why I never work the shirt to work.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2005, 10:06:45 AM »

BTW, with my sickness and all I have been remiss in not thanking the various HHWers who have sent us varied and sundried holiday cards.  So thanks.

Speaking of which:  did one of you send an e-card yesterday with a Sheltie in it?  I'm very sorry, but I didn't recognize the email address.   :-[

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2005, 10:15:34 AM »

Wednesday greetings!  I'm back at work for 2 days before having a 5-day Christmas weekend.  It's pretty hard to concentrate, when at home there are packages to be wrapped, cookies to be baked, etc.

TOD - For the last several years, my mother-in-law has been "regifting" her daughters-in-law, mostly with items that were wedding presents to her and my late father-in-law.  She always writes a note explaining the provenance of the item, which I enjoy because DH Richard and I live in the town where my in-laws grew up, married, and raised their family and know the people involved (or their descendants).  One of my sisters-in-law, though, has great disdain for the community and views the items she's received as "used goods."  My theory is that my mother-in-law suspects we'd just pitch much of this stuff when she's gone, but if it's a gift we'll be less likely to get rid of it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2005, 10:15:37 AM »

My Christmas is set, and I am doomed.

On Sunday, we (der Brucer and myself) shall trek to the home of his daughter, where we will be treated to a standing rib roast.

While the idea of how she can ruin a standing rib roast is frightening enough, she has also invited her hubby's parents to dine.

We have met them, of course, but she and her hubby have been very careful so far as to not explain to his parents what my relationship is with the family.  This doesn't bother me in the slightest; while they may be rednecks I have found that such are far more aware of what is going on than often given credit for being.

No, the doom is that daughter and son-in-law will insist that no hint of discussion of my relationship to the family be made.  As a result, all at the table will be quite uncomfortable, nerves will fray...

And daughter has this terrible habit of shreiking at the top of her lungs when her nerves have frayed.

As I stated earlier, I am doomed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2005, 10:24:14 AM »

Greetings all!

Finals week here, and this is the last day, listening to all my students' excuses for why the work that was due a month ago is just too hard for them to get done in the one day remaining...

Ho, ho, ho!

I'm listening to the Broadway Radio Show "A Very Kimmel Christmas", which is just fantabulous.  However, Donald doesn't do his usual identification of performers and albums.  

I know I have a good number of these on "A Broadway Christmas" and "A Label-Whose-Name-Must-Not-Be-Mentioned Christmas".  But some are mystifying me.

Can anyone tell me who the hilarious performers are on the sex-reversal version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside"?  I think I recognize Karen Morrow's voice, and the guy sounds really familiar...

And that wonderful up-beat "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm".  Debby Gravitte?  A Larry Moore orchestration?

I suppose I should go to http://www.brucekimmel.com where all questions will be answered.

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2005, 10:35:24 AM »

Charles Nelson Reilly?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2005, 10:37:18 AM »

I thought , in the spirit of the holiday season, I would share this heartwarming story

(And I thought Dearreaderlaura would especially like it!)

A postal worker was sorting mail a week before
 Christmas when he came across a letter addressed
 to God. Since it would be destroyed he decided to
 open the letter and read it.

Dear God,

I am an 83 year old widow, living on a very small
  pension. Yesterday someone stole my purse. It had
  $100 in it, which was all the money I had until my
  next pension check. Next Sunday is Christmas, and
  I had invited two of my friends over for dinner.
  Without that money, I have nothing to buy food
  with. I have no family to turn to, and you are my
  only hope. Can you please help me?

Sincerely,
  Edna

The postal worker was touched. He showed the letter
  to all the other workers. Each one dug into his or her
  wallet and came up with a few dollars. By the time he
  made the rounds,he had collected $96, which they put
  into an envelope and sent to the woman. The rest of
  the day,all the workers felt a warm glow thinking of
  Edna and the dinner she would be able to share with
  her friends.

Christmas came and went. A few days later,another
  letter came from the old lady to God. All the workers
  gathered around while the letter was opened, It read.

Dear God,

How can I ever thank you enough for what you did
 for me? Because of your gift of love, I was able to
 fix a glorious dinner for my friends. We had a very
 nice day and I told my friends of your wonderful
 gift. By the way, there was $4 missing. I think it
 must have been those thieving bastards at the
  Post Office.

Sincerely,
  Edna

vixmom

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2005, 10:40:30 AM »

Professor!!! Merry Christmas to you!! We must chat about when we can get together next week,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2005, 10:45:57 AM »

I'm listening to the Broadway Radio Show "A Very Kimmel Christmas", which is just fantabulous.  However, Donald doesn't do his usual identification of performers and albums.  

I know I have a good number of these on "A Broadway Christmas" and "A Label-Whose-Name-Must-Not-Be-Mentioned Christmas".  But some are mystifying me.

Can anyone tell me who the hilarious performers are on the sex-reversal version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside"?  I think I recognize Karen Morrow's voice, and the guy sounds really familiar...

And that wonderful up-beat "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm".  Debby Gravitte?  A Larry Moore orchestration?

Nope, not mine!  Lanny Meyers, maybe?  He's awfully good!  Aren't the singers Charles Kimbrough and Beth Howland?  I didn't work on the CHRISTMAS IN HOLLYWOOD album, although I do own it and play it, so everything's a guess about the personnel.  I'll have to pull it off the shelf and see.

I still don't know what the hell I did!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2005, 10:50:46 AM »

Good vibes for DR SWW & derBRUCER for a quiet Christmas.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2005, 10:52:43 AM »

Well it's not as exciting as DR CILLA LIZ buying a house, BUT I bought a new car today.  I had my Pontiac Grand Am for MANY years (if you are thinking about it, don't buy a Pontiac)....

So here I am....it's not as lovely as the NEW BLUE car that DR MBARNUM bought, and it is not a 1958 Imperial like Allison drove in Attack of the 50 Foot Woman but it is:

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2005, 11:07:26 AM »

Hooray for the new car DR JRand55! What a nice Christmas present to yourself!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2005, 11:23:01 AM »

Hooray for the new car DR JRand55! What a nice Christmas present to yourself!

LOL....I kept waiting and waiting for someone to buy it for me....but I guess after 55 years, I give up.

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2005, 11:29:08 AM »

Congatulations on your new ride Jack!!!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2005, 11:29:52 AM »

I stopped at a Select Comfort store the other day while my mom, my aunt and cousin and I were at a mall in Greenville SC.

I was tested for my "sleep number" and was VERY impressed with the way the bed felt after my number was selected.

I'm a "55"...which was odd for the tester, because I told her I was a side sleeper and she told me most side sleepers are "35s" or lower.  

I'll probably test a couple of other beds before I make a purchase, but I'm read for a new bed and the Select Comfort tickles my fancy.

I’m the one who wanted the bed, tested it in the store and found it very comfortable.  The number I tested at the store is not the one I use and, after several years, I’m finally okay with the bed.  Keith, who only got the bed to humor me, loves it.  

Jane

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2005, 11:33:11 AM »

TOD:  I've repressed the worst gifts.  And now that I'm senile, I don't remember the good ones either.

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2005, 11:33:34 AM »

Thanks DR VIXMOM....so far so good!

LOL DRJANE.

Select Comfort.  I have always had a single bed and never had a NEW mattress, so I am not sure sleep & comfort describe my sleeping accomodations.  Horizontal to the floor and no springs sticking out seem to be the watchwords.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

I think I saw DR TCB here yesterday!

Project Runway is on tonight.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2005, 11:45:52 AM »

JRand congratulations on your new car.  May you have many good years together.  Might a new bed be next on your shopping list? ;D

JMK

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2005, 11:49:42 AM »

True Select Comfort Story:  I was taking the kids to the mall one day and there were these two people in a VERY heated argument outside.  They actually began fist-fighting each other--a man and a woman!!  (I should mention they were fighting as they were both smoking cigarettes, or at least attempting to (you would think they would have just thrown the damn things down so that they could properly fight)--your first clew as to their general comportment).    I kind of hustled the kids to the side to get around them but I noticed they were both wearing Select Comfort shirts and as we ran by them I heard they were arguing about how one of them had been treating a customer!!  So anyway the kids were pretty flipped out and I wasn't too happy about it, so I managed to find the phone number for the guard of the mall and got through to him and started to tell him, at which point he said, "Is this about the Select Comfort employees?  We've already received 5 or 6 calls about it!"  So it had evidently been going on for some time before we even got there!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 11:51:42 AM by JMK »

JMK

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2005, 11:50:17 AM »

Love the PT Cruiser, JR.  I bet a ladder would fit in the back very nicely (obscure FF reference).  ;)

Jane

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2005, 11:52:35 AM »

Bruce, looks like UPS is giving you the same runaround we got.  I hope your package arrives today.

Cassell’s, where Keith almost lost a finger while working there.  I practically lived on their ham and potato salad (no joke, the food was great, the price right and we had very little money).

Jane

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2005, 11:54:45 AM »

The Select Care employees at our mall seem very mild. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up