Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A BEAN BURRITO GONE AWRY  (Read 44630 times)

Tomovoz

Re:A BEAN BURRITO GONE AWRY
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2005, 12:56:02 PM »

The "quote" is used here in a wine commercial .
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2005, 01:01:35 PM »

I can only think of two movies that I saw in theaters this year that would make my top ten...SALAAM NAMASTE, which I saw when I was in NY, and BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE....both of those movies I enjoyed very, very much!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2005, 01:11:43 PM »

Is Brad Oscar in the film version of The Producers, or did Nathan Lane not want the competition?

Alas, Will Ferrell ended up with Brad's part, and I believe that was more a Stro/Studio decision.  However, Brad does have a cameo as a cab driver.  Don't blink!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2005, 01:13:11 PM »

I saw both CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and WAR OF THE WORLDS on DVD this year, and I enjoyed both very much. However, I didn't think either was a great enough film to be in a Top 10 list.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2005, 01:14:49 PM »

And only because I really liked these two paragraphs from Stephen Hunter's review of "The Producers" in The Washington Post...

-DON'T READ if you think this might be a SPOILER for you...

An ideal world -- that is, a world run by me in contravention to all laws of physics and biology -- would mandate an ideal "Producers" starring Nathan Lane and Gene Wilder. Alas, back here in the real world, Stroman's film stars her legit boards boys Lane and Matthew Broderick, Mostel having gone on to that great delicatessen in the sky and Wilder pretty much retired. It's not that Broderick is bad, or even disappointing; he's something far worse -- he's not Gene Wilder. He doesn't have Wilder's God-given gift for suggesting a hysteria more intense than a seizure, which it resembles and which twists his rhythms into giddy pulse-crazed gibberish sited on the outer reaches of human irrationality. He goes hysterical the way bullets go ballistic -- at hyper speed and damn the consequences -- then returns in a flash, crisis solved, to sweet-natured, blue-eyed docility. Broderick is just Matthew Broderick: hardworking, decent, possibly charisma-challenged. When he goes hysterical, it's just an actor doing a fair hysteria, not a man touched by the deity speaking in tongues.

But I know some of you are Zero's people. Zero had the most astonishing comb-over in captivity, and that dainty fat-guy fussiness. He seemed to possess a size 54 waist while wearing size 5 shoes, and was astonishingly light on his feet, like a 600-pound Tinker Bell. His eyes narrowed into psychotic greed with extreme passion and his fat fingers seemed hungry to rip more more more flesh off the carcass. It was great, I give you that, and it's just taste that you favor Zero and I favor Nathan. The case for Lane rests on those really cool aigu-et-grave- accent eyebrows going for him, which means that everything he says is deeply insincere. I treasure that in a man. He makes lies sound like lies and the truth sound like even worse lies. He's a belter, too. He seems to be channeling Ethel Merman, and when he power-blasts a number you can practically feel the spit-spray through the screen.
[/size]
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2005, 01:17:56 PM »

I was simply thrilled with the quality of the Fox Movie Channel's broadcast of THE BLUE BIRD. The Technicolor is so vivid it made my teeth hurt, and the art direction and production design as magnificent as always. Fox used that stereo processing they do to their films, and the music spread nicely along the front soundstage.

That forest fire sequence is really something to see with the sharpness and clarity that this broadcast attained. Hopefully, the DVD (whenever it's chosen for release) will be this vivid!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2005, 01:20:03 PM »

And I also came across this while reading today's edition...

From the Things That Make You Go Hmmmm??? Department...

SCIENCE
Notebook

Monday, December 26, 2005; Page A17

Harry Potter's Protection Spell

It's not wizardry, but Harry Potter apparently protects his legions of youthful fans from injuries, at least during the weekends his newest books keep them huddled indoors on reading marathons, British researchers said.

Stephen Gwilym of the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and his colleagues counted how many 7-to-15-year-old children came to the emergency department on the weekends when J.K. Rowling's two most recent tomes were released and compared them with other summer weekends from 2003 to 2005.

The number of children brought in with injuries during the weekends "The Order of the Phoenix" and "The Half-Blood Prince" were released was about half the usual -- lower than any other weekend in the three-year period, the researchers found. There was nothing else unusual about those weekends, such as odd weather, that could explain the findings, they added.

"Harry Potter books seem to protect children from traumatic injuries," the researchers wrote in the British Medical Journal.

"It may therefore be hypothesized that there is a place for a committee of safety-conscious writers who could produce high quality books for the purpose of injury prevention," they wrote, noting, however, that "potential problems with this project would include an unpredictable increase in childhood obesity, rickets, and loss of cardiovascular fitness."

-- Rob Stein
[/size]
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2005, 01:21:13 PM »

Staying in a Shirley Temple mood, I then watched POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL. Sad to say, the local cable station had some trouble with the Fox broadcast with digital breakup in several places; therefore, I did not burn a DVD of this movie.

Still, Alice Faye's superb voice on her songs makes it clear why this was a stepping stone on her way to real stardom at Fox, and the film remains on of my favorite Temple films.

I still have STOWAWAY on the DVR to watch, probably tomorrow. I don't want to overdose on Shirley.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2005, 01:21:43 PM »

I'm still not sure what I'll be doing tonight, but I do need to get cleaned up and get ready to head out.  As for where I'm heading... Well... I think I'm just gonna see where my car takes me... -Well, most likely where the traffic runs me away from...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »

I noticed that THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA had already started on HBO-HD, so I flipped over to see how the film would look in high definition.

I got into it around the time of the song "The Phantom of the Opera" and stayed through "Masquerade." The production looks even more lush and splendid than it did on DVD, but the extra clarity only emphasized to me Patrick Wilson's total blandness as Raoul.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2005, 01:28:23 PM »

There is a new episode of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT tonight, and they're running repeats of HOUSE at 9 for a couple of weeks until '24' returns. So, I may or may not watch a film tonight on DVD.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »

I have seen interviews with Matthew Broderick and he seems like a very sweet, humble, and down-to-earth guy.  The kind of man you would enjoy lunching  with on a Saturday afternoon.  However, I don't think I have liked anything he has done acting-wise since WAR GAMES (and no, I am not forgetting FERRIS BUELLER)  Granted, I have not yet seen THE PRODUCERS (on Broadway or on film) so I will try and keep an open mind.  Unfortunately, the last time I kept an open mind for Matthew was for THE MUSIC MAN.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2005, 01:40:31 PM »

TCB!  How are you feeling?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2005, 01:40:52 PM »

I'm back from a couple of small errands.  Perhaps I'll watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, even though I haven't much interest in it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2005, 01:45:43 PM »

I enjoyed Mr Broderick's performance in "The Producers"  on stage much more than that of Wilder in the old movie. I enjoyed  Mr Broderick's performances in "Glory" and "Biloxi Blues" and "Torch Song Trilogy"
I've never really taken to me Wilder's "hysteria" in any of his movies.

Horses for courses I guess.

Of course I find Mr Broderick way more attractive than I do Mrs Broderick.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2005, 01:50:35 PM »

I spent the afternoon finishing the last book (to date) of a SF series by David Feintuch.  It was number seven and called, Children of Hope.  What a great story!   :)

Has anyone else read them?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2005, 01:57:45 PM »

I agree about Matthew Broderick and BILOXI BLUES. I think he's wonderful in the film. I am not a fan of FERRIS BEULLER, but I just don't like the character or plot. It had nothing to do with Broderick who seems to be playing what's written very well.

I thought he was a ridiculous choice for Harold Hill and found that TV-THE MUSIC MAN very hard to sit through.

Danise

« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2005, 02:04:30 PM »

The best Mathew Broderick movie that I remember was LadyHawke.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2005, 02:15:44 PM »

I loved the love story in LADYHAWKE, but I found Matthew's presence irritating and anachronistic (i.e. he seemed to have wandered into the story from a few historical centuries later).

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »

Guess I'll head down now to clean the dining room.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2005, 03:12:35 PM »

DS Rob and I just returned from a holiday open house at the home of a local family in which the wife is a good friend of mine, the son is a former student of DH Richard's, and the younger daughter and Rob were pre-school classmates.  It was fun to see all these kids interact as young adults and to catch up with people that I don't get to see often since I work out of town.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2005, 03:20:12 PM »

Just watching the news and may I say something?

My heart goes out to the Dungy family and their loss.  Tony Dungy is a football coach whose son committed suicide last week.

What I don’t understand is the hundreds of people who are turning out for the viewing and will (no doubt) do the same for the funeral tomorrow.  Now if you were a friend of the family, I can understand the need to be there.  But to just show up, forgive me, but I don’t get it.  

Why do people turn such a sad event into a side show? Let the family grieve in peace!

I can't imagine what it must have been like to have Christmas yesterday, knowing they would have a viewing of their son today and to bury him on the morrow.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2005, 03:20:54 PM »

TOD - The only movies I remember seeing in a theater this year were Being Julia, March of the Penguins, and The Constant Gardener.  Tomorrow evening I'm going with my ladies' book group to see Memoirs of a Geisha.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2005, 03:24:48 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing Capote, a bit of which I saw last night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2005, 03:25:23 PM »

And I'd still like to see whatever that Edward R. Murrow pic is called.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »

Hi everyone, on the TOD, here are some movies that come to mind in no particular order:

The Chronicles of Narnia
The Squid and the Whale
The Family Stone (just saw today and it was great IMO)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
The Wedding Crashers
Red Eye (love that Rachel McAdams)
Sin City
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

I'm probably leaving some off.  And I'm going to see a few movies this week that I'm sure belong on the list- Brokeback Mountain, Syriana, Transamerica

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »

Happy Hannukah, and Happy Boxing Day all!

I got a wireless optical mouse amongst my other gifts and am giving it a whirl.. I expect to be E & T most of the week but will try and check in from time to time.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2005, 04:24:50 PM »

Hi all, well I'm home. It was fun, but I was ready to leave and get back.  I did make arrangements for my 17 year old niece, Samantha, to drive here tomorrow and stay until Thursday.  It should be fun. I have promised her indoor ice skating, bowling and movies.  I'm really looking forward to it. She loves movies, so she is very easy to entertain.

I'm very sleepy. I didn't get the cleaning done I would normally do for guests, but I did the basics and I've very sleepy, so I'll save the rest until tomorrow.

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2005, 04:25:45 PM »

Happy Boxing Day, Happy Hannukah and Happy Feast of Stephen.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2005, 04:26:29 PM »

DR Danise, glad you're feeling better. Good to see you here again.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up