Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO 2006  (Read 57145 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:COUNTDOWN TO 2006
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2005, 08:41:29 AM »

Sun is out here.  We expect temperatures in the 40's.

Mr BK - does DECEIT have one set - or does it have multiple locations?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2005, 08:41:52 AM »

Anything new up on the dEcEiT website yet?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2005, 08:42:03 AM »

Okay, now I must pop over to moviefone to check out what time our movie of the day is showing.

The next movie on my list is Brokeback Mountain, and I believe we will have to go to Chicago to see it... it doesn't seem to be showing in any of the neighboring burbs...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2005, 08:43:40 AM »

Nevermind - I just looked.....nothing new yet!

Danise

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2005, 08:48:44 AM »

TV shows.  Well, I'll confess that until I got the TIVO, my viewing was limited to what was on before nine O'clock.  

Now that I've discovered the "later" night shows, I'm off and running!  

I do plan on recording the TAR when it starts again.  I want to be in on it from the get go.

I love LOST, THE GHOST WHISPERER, BOSTON LEGAL,  The one with the female president (can't think of the name), SURFACE to name a few.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2005, 08:50:38 AM »

If this was 1957, here's a show that would show up on my Top Ten List:  DATE WITH THE ANGELS starring Betty White and Bill Williams.  It was shown late night on Christmas Eve on my local PBS channel and my Tivo recorded it for me.  The show was flat out funny and had a great supporting cast with Burt Mustin, Richard Deacon and Nancy Kulp.  I never heard of this one before and I have no idea if the other episodes were as funny, but I'm glad I caught this.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2005, 08:51:59 AM »

Have a very safe trip, Ron.  

From you lips to Heaven's ears...thanks, Danise!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2005, 08:53:04 AM »

Thank you very much, DR Dan (the Man).  I received your pkg yesterday.  

Now that my DVD recorder is up and running, if I TIVO anything you guys want or need, just let me know.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2005, 08:53:19 AM »

Well, Narnia was sold out yesterday, believe it or don't.  So we headed down the street to Border's, used our couponage and saved about $50, which is nice, until you realize we spent $100, LOL.  Then we headed home and watched The Polar Express which was visually sumptious but otherwise a vacuum.

BK's nausea:  it must be morning sickness, BK, in which case we should be praying for Brucemary's Baby.   ;D

CCHR update:  in the unbelievable yet kind of true department, the CO$ site actually corrected something on their FF page--they finally got her birthyear corrected to 1913.  It's nice to know they gleaned the ultimate truth from my article.  Not.

I think about the only TV we still make an appointment to view is Lost.  Like I said here months ago, I believe the Desperate Housewives phenomenon is over, despite the ratings.  Did anyone see the wire service report this morning about Longoria verbally assaulting a Hispanic cop?  (Speaking of which, there was that report a week or so ago about "Ana Lucia"'s DUI in Hawaii where she evidently told the police to "just go ahead and shoot me."  What is it with these supposedly rich and happy people, anyway?)

Oh, and BK, you left one very important credit off your 2005 credits.  Shame!   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2005, 08:56:46 AM »

Today is my offical Do Nothin' Day, in which I will do nothin' but maybe watch some TV and take lazy cat naps and do some postin' on this here site with all you good peeps.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2005, 08:59:45 AM »

From you lips to Heaven's ears...thanks, Danise!

Your so welcome.  We'll be looking for that post that tells us your home safe.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2005, 09:00:53 AM »

MattH, I think you will really enjoy this show.  I really liked it and judging from your lists, I think we have pretty similar tastes in the types of programs we enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendation, DR T'Punk. I will be watching and will share opinions on it during my late night venture onto HHW.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2005, 09:02:07 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  PLEASANT TRAVELLING VIBES FOR DR RLP  ! ! ! ! !   [/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2005, 09:05:05 AM »

Glad to see DR Ron's recommendation of OUT OF PRACTICE which I greatly enjoy, but it hasn't quite reached the ranks of my Top 10 (yet). And with CBS taking it off to give Jenna Elfman's new show a spin, I'm NOT a happy camper. It's not slated to come back until March at the earliest. I suspect if Elfman's show bombs, they might pull it and bring back OUT OF PRACTICE early, but unless the show is really terrible, they may let it run on Monday to see how it samples.

What I hate is that OUT OF PRACTICE has been building its audience since its first week, and the last couple of first-run segments was retaining quite an impressive amount of its TWO AND A HALF MEN ratings lead-in. To have that momentum stifled is very frustrating for me (and I'm sure to everyone involved with the show).

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2005, 09:05:45 AM »

I'd send DR Ron some travel good wishes, but he's not slated to leave for two days.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2005, 09:06:52 AM »

TV shows.  Well, I'll confess that until I got the TIVO, my viewing was limited to what was on before nine O'clock.  

I love LOST, THE GHOST WHISPERER, BOSTON LEGAL,  The one with the female president (can't think of the name), SURFACE to name a few.

COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF.

Danise

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2005, 09:08:06 AM »

I know you guys talked about this before, but what is the difference between a plus and a minus blank DVD?  Which is the best and why?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2005, 09:08:37 AM »

COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF.

That's it!  Thanks, Matt!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2005, 09:12:27 AM »

As for worst shows, well, I can't stand NUMB3RS any more. I fell out with LAS VEGAS (just too fluffy and silly for my taste), and JOEY has bottomed out, too. (I still will watch WILL & GRACE and will until it ends its run this year. About every fourth or fifth episode this year has been worth watching.) And I left THRESHOLD behind before CBS did and NIGHT STALKER before ABC did. ALIAS is but a shadow of its former glory, but I'll watch it to the end of its run, too.

I'm still sampling SUPERNATURAL, BONES, and INVASION and think they have much to recommend them while there is still room for improvement.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2005, 09:13:55 AM »

I know you guys talked about this before, but what is the difference between a plus and a minus blank DVD?  Which is the best and why?

DVD-R is compatible with more DVD players than DVD+R, but they're both usually viewable on most recent players.

The different designations have to do with the method by which the digital data is stored on the disc.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 09:14:29 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2005, 09:19:30 AM »

Expecting my ride for lunch will be arriving any second, so I'll stop here, and will be back later.

JMK

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2005, 09:25:17 AM »

Speaking of cabbages and kings, FSM has just released John Barry's soundtrack to the musical version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, with the exquisite lyrical brilliance of Don Black.  (Well, if Alice can go to Wonderland, so can I.   ;D).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2005, 09:27:49 AM »

Strange but true department:  I got Betsy and me the Season 1 Leave it to Beaver set to bring back happy memories of our childhood (or at least first-run syndication, LOL).  So we popped in the unaired pilot, with a different Ward and Wally (the title of my next novel, BTW), and there's this proto-Eddie Haskell character who looks very familiar.  And lo and behold the credits come up and guess who it was, in all of his 12 year old (or so) glory?:  Harry Shearer!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2005, 09:31:13 AM »

Shows I've liked this year:

ROME
DEADWOOD
JON STEWART
CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
LOU DOBBS
COUNTDOWN with Keith Olberman

I can't believe I didn't mention DEADWOOD!  I love that series, and I missed enough of ROME to know I have to buy the first year when it is released to DVD.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2005, 09:32:22 AM »

DVD-R is compatible with more DVD players than DVD+R, but they're both usually viewable on most recent players.

The different designations have to do with the method by which the digital data is stored on the disc.

Thanks once again, Matt.  Wouldn't you know I bought what was on sale--50 of the plus for $14.95.   :-\   I guess I'll have to get some minus blanks.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2005, 09:34:11 AM »

DR DtM - Date with the Angels was MY first exposure to Miss Betty White and I watched the show during its original brief run.  I thought she was the cleverest and funniest thing on TV!  And I loved the theme song, which I guess was NOT original to the show, but was sung so well...

Got a date with an angel
Gonna meet her at seven.
Got a date with an angel
And I'm on my way to heaven!!

LOL...Betty was a cutie.   I wish this show was available on video or DVD...her earlier sketch-type show has some episodes on DVD, but it's not nearly as funny as Date With An Angel.

But then again, I am remembering it from almost 50 years ago!

FJL

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2005, 09:35:31 AM »

Ron - I haven't heard the Perry Como "Christmas Dream" in years and remember loving that song.  The chorus is now running through my head incessantly.  Not a bad feeling at all.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 09:39:39 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »

Page Three Betty White Dance.

This DVD is her earlier series....MBARNUM sent it to me!   8)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2005, 09:43:57 AM »

Speaking of cabbages and kings, FSM has just released John Barry's soundtrack to the musical version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, with the exquisite lyrical brilliance of Don Black.  (Well, if Alice can go to Wonderland, so can I.   ;D).

There's one major flaw in a Don Black lyric in the film, "I've Never Been This Far Before":  the line "and I mean . . . slice before I wake."  Alice does not know she's dreaming about Wonderland.  I like the score for the film quite a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2005, 09:47:57 AM »

DR MattH, I have been watching The Closer on Global here in Canada. I really need to find out if the first season has finished here, since we have not had a new episode in 2 weeks.

I really like it.  She is fantastic, especially how she interacts with other people, and how she questions the suspects.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up