Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE YEAR MY HAIR BECAME GRAYER  (Read 75743 times)

FJL

Re:THE YEAR MY HAIR BECAME GRAYER
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 08:22:04 AM »

GRAYETY BURLESK - that was the working title of the one-act I was working on about former dancers returning to the Gaiety Burlesk Theater upon its unceremonious closing.  Back when the Howard Johnson's that was in the same building was getting lots of attention in the press upon ITS closing.  Was seriously working on it for a while, but it just got too close for comfort to being a gay FOLLIES.  (I know, I know, there are some people who think FOLLIES is already a gay FOLLIES. :) )  I may go back to it if I can figure out a more original angle.  

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2005, 08:55:18 AM »

DR MattH, I had the completely opposite reaction to last night's CRIMINAL MINDS.

spoilers.

The fact that you saw the name in the credits probably ruined it for you.  But I had no idea that it was an inside job. I really don't think anyone would, since there was no reason to think that.  Also, since I rarely watch the Law & Order/ CSI type shows this was all quite new to me.

I really like the girl (twin) (formerly from POINT PLEASANT). And I found the story quite engaging.

The one thing about the show that I don't get is why they keep flying this team around the country?  On all the other shows I watch that have police they have teams in that city.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2005, 09:05:56 AM »

The documentary that was on TCM about Boetticher was very interesting.  Didn't know he was married to Debra Paget for a few weeks.

The clip from SEVEN MEN FROM NOW looked very interesting.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 09:07:17 AM »

Off to the store to see if I can find a replacement for my WORN OUT and BROKEN Kathy Smith Air Walker - an exerciser that I really like and had for more than six years.....  It gave up the ghost last week and I need one or something like it for these last 15 pounds or so!  

FJL - there's a musical in there somewhere!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 09:21:57 AM »

I think you've all suddenly gone gray!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2005, 09:22:36 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  

Now, who is coming out for Deceit - haven't seen one single post about it.

Re Seven Men From Now - it's important not to build it up too much from our raves - it's a very short, very simple movie and its pleasures are directly related to its brevity and the amount of plot and detail and wonderful acting that is crammed into its seventy-eight minutes without seeming crammed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2005, 09:23:06 AM »

The Tamarind Seed is, alas, only available in region 2.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2005, 09:24:24 AM »

Media check:

DVD: ULYSSES AGAINST THE SON OF HERCULES

VHS: KING AND FOUR QUEENS

CD: Pakistani pop music that arrived in the mail the other day from Brooklyn.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2005, 09:24:28 AM »

Well...the big screens are here.  Cable gets connected next Thursday.  Now I have to figure out this wireless router for our computers.  Who says technology makes one's life easier?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 09:26:07 AM »

A few times during my stay in SC, "Brokeback Mountain" was mentioned with much snarling on shows emanating from southern climes.

"The Rick and Bubba Show" was one of them.  What a brew of fomenting hatred, prejudice and ignorance THAT show "seems" to be.  All decorated nicely in gool ole boy friendliness with call-ins from tons of like-minded repressive/oppressive souls.

Trouble is, no one had seen the film....just as all the to-do over "The Last Temptation of Christ" was from folks who never saw it.

No...folks are too tightly wound about "the idea" of someone doing something different from the way they think/believe.

I asked folks, a few times this year, whether they recall that the U.S. is supposed to be a land free from religious persecution and that it was supposed to be a land of freedom of thought, as well.  One person replied that he was free to think whatever he wanted.  And that person was a relative (by marriage).

They looked at me as though I was a yankee!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 09:31:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 09:27:51 AM »

SEVEN MEN FROM NOW may be short and simple, but it's deep and deceptively complex.  That speech Lee Marvin has in the wagon.  Whoaa!  And the final confrontation where you see how fast Randolph Scott is without ever seeing him.  Brilliant death scene! More richness and texture and depth than so many of these 2 and half hour movies we're seeing these days.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2005, 09:29:14 AM »

Here's a thought....it is my experience that the loudest "Christians" are generally the ones who have no idea what Christ's teachings were about.

Chritianity, these days, seems to be a whole lot of intolerance and condemnation cloaked in the name of Christ...who, oddly enough, never seemed to be in favor of either.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2005, 09:30:53 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Ah, sleep...

Well, I guess I won't be joining the gang to see "The Producers" this afternoon... Especially since the showing they're going to begins now...

Oops.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005, 09:34:02 AM »

www.RickandBubba.com is the place you oughta be...

for some illumination on what many people in this country think they way things "ought" to be.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 09:34:17 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

The usual for me...

*I also realized I never posted my Top 10 CDs yesterday... I know I listened to at least 10 CDs this past year, but I just couldn't think of what was new and what was old.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2005, 09:42:01 AM »

Pogue, I agree - with "deceptive" being the key word.  It's one of my ten favorite DVD releases of the year.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2005, 09:46:18 AM »

And since no one else has chimed in yet...

As for Deceit...

I don't officially start with Lestat until March 1.  Damn Yankees closes February 5.  I've been thinking of taking a week or so for a vacation...  If the HHW Night at Deceit is not held until sometime in the middle of the run...  Well, that might influence my vacation itinerary.  -Just a thought.

*But I may end up in LA for a few days in February regardless, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2005, 09:49:08 AM »

BK, re: SEVEN MEN FROM NOW, to paraphrase Tracy's line from PAT & MIKE..."There may not be much meat on it; but what there is...is cherce!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2005, 10:03:37 AM »

Cherce is right.  It and Point of Order I'll be watching again very soon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 10:49:22 AM »

Was Joseph N. Welch's rebuttal to McCarthy's disclosure about Fisher written down and read....it seems through some of it that he is reading off a paper....of course then he goes off on his famous rebuke.

Symington doesn't do so badly either.  How McCarthy and Cohn thought they could come out of this with any credibility is beyond belief!

If you like airplane movies, I have to recommend THE HUNTERS.  Produced and directed by Mr Dick Powell, music (just okay) by Paul Sawtell, and a good script by Wendall Mapes.  Robert Mitchum is very good, Richard Egan is very good, John Gabriel (who played the Professor in the Gilligan's Island pilot) is good, and Robert Wagner is NOT.  So strange that I thought Wagner was good in BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL but here, he is back to his one-note style....  It is funny to see Mitchum sock Wagner in the jow.

AND - Lee Philips, who was so wrong in PEYTON PLACE, is really good in THE HUNTERS.....

Weak link is May Britt, but she IS stunningly beautiful which is a good reason to have her in the movie.

But the jet planes and the aerial photography are the real stars.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2005, 10:52:26 AM »

Lee Marvin's demise in SEVEN MEN FROM NOW is unique and intriguing.  Yup, Scott is THAT FAST!!  And you believe it!  Earlier in the film he shoots a couple of guys during a quick cut to some restless horses.....

Gail Russell...heartbreakingly beautiful in THE UNINVITED....and here on her way down, yes, it is sad to see - but she had something.  

Is the DVD part of the BatJac releases that Michael Wayne's company is finally getting out?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2005, 10:52:51 AM »

What is a pixie?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »

I did not find the exercise equipment I wanted, so I will have to look another time.  8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:16:52 AM by JRand55 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2005, 11:29:39 AM »

Yes, it's part of the Batjac batch of films being released by Paramount on DVD.

I don't think Mr. Welch has anything written down, but maybe I'll watch it again to see.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2005, 11:31:41 AM »

I had to stop at the bank today.  It is in the mall.  I could not find a parking spot.  Eventually I found one much further than I have ever parked!  I'm not sure there seemed to be that many people in the mall (surely nothing like Boxing Day). But the parking lot sure was full!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2005, 11:32:23 AM »

DR Ron, don't take the a**holes in this world to heart.  They are a dying breed.  From what I've been hearing, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is doing boffo business in every theatre it's currently playing, including those located in the nation's heartland.  It's take per theatre is actually higher than KING KONG and NARNIA.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2005, 11:43:51 AM »

THE LAST MEDIA CHECK  (of 2005)

CD Player (Yes, I'm still using a CD player!):  Cyndi Lauper, The Body Acoustic.  This was one of those CDs that contained Sony's malware and which they recalled to be exchanged for discs that were malware-free.  My replacement copy came in the mail on Wednesday and I'm just about to play it now.

iPod:  I've been listening to the Trans Siberian Orchestra during my drives here and there, trying to figure out what all the fuss about their Christmas recordings is about.  Their music doesn't do that much for me I have to say.  It strikes me as kind of noisy and strident.

Tivo:  Been using the Tivo mostly to copy old Christmas programming on VHS to DVD, but it did record the 1953 TITANIC for me the other day.  I watched a few minutes of it this morning.  I thought, "Interesting...they are showing the disaster from the iceburg's point of view."  

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2005, 12:44:18 PM »

Tivo:  Been using the Tivo mostly to copy old Christmas programming on VHS to DVD, but it did record the 1953 TITANIC for me the other day.  I watched a few minutes of it this morning.  I thought, "Interesting...they are showing the disaster from the iceburg's point of view."  

I like this version of the story...although the underwater shot shows the berg hitting the WRONG side of the ship.

Stanwyck and Webb are wonderful.  And who should be playing Madeline Astor but Frances Bergen wife of Edgar and mother of Candy....  And of course Thelma Ritter..."Where I come from, it's either a revival meetin' or a crap game."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2005, 12:45:05 PM »

Getting ready for the going away-get gone-don't let the door hit you on the way out PARTY my sister is giving for the lady she is buying the bookstore from....

François de Paris

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2005, 01:01:18 PM »

Today is National Bicarbonate of Soda Day.

(Inject vocal punctuation here: _______!!!)

... for a gasless day??? :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up