Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRMLY ENSCONCED  (Read 94961 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:FIRMLY ENSCONCED
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »

I appreciate all the good thoughts, thank you FJL Cillaliz, Matt H. Penny, MBarnum, Jose, TCB, DtM, JRand, Jennifer and Ginny

We had planned to leave for LA on Wednesday, providing the pass to California wasn’t closed due to snow.  What we never anticipated was 4-5 inches of rain in 24 hours and the damage all that rain caused.  So now the sun is finally shining and the pass is clear but we have to stay home and deal with the clean up.  I’m sorry I won’t be going to the funeral.

We live off a private road and the responsibility for repairs is left to the homeowners.  Today the road guy will be out to discuss our options.  Our neighbors above us can’t drive home, otherwise the road is useable, for how long we don’t know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2006, 11:08:47 AM »

From seven GUESTS to one GUEST in the flip of an eyelash.  Makes you wonder, don't it?

Looks like it's letting up just a bit here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »

Perhaps I'll venture out while the venturing's good.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2006, 11:14:11 AM »

Well.. I think it's time to get out of this chair for a while...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2006, 11:31:14 AM »

Favorite Italian restaurant will probably always be Tony's at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World - it's the Lady and the Tramp restaurant, and there's much controversy about the quality of its food, but I've loved it.  (Who knows?  Maybe it's not even there anymore.  We haven't been to the Magic Kingdom since 2000. But I thought it was enchanting.)

Closer to home, I'm partial to Pietrasanta, especially the Mozzerella Fritta (which sounds so much less unhelathy than the fried breaded mozzerella that it is) and the Penne Gorgonzola or the Linguini Con Pollo.  On a more upscale level, there's Il Tinello, not too far from Fifth Ave, on 56th Street.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2006, 11:51:46 AM »

Bruce, just trash the leftover fudge so you can begin eating healthy foods.  

DR Jane!  I didn't think you were capable of speaking such evil words!   :o
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2006, 11:55:37 AM »

DR Jose, if you decide to go to Buca di Beppo, you had better take at least three others along.  They serve only family-sized entres.  It's good food--but there's alot of it.  The decore is fun, too--make sure to check out the men's room.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:55:52 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2006, 12:11:54 PM »

Well, I was able to make my return at Circuit City without any further freaking out on my part.  I then drove over to Barnes & Nobel where I spent a nice relaxing hour or so browsing about.  I picked up two books:  A Year With The Producers by Jeffrey Denman and Yiddish With Dick And Jane.  I also picked up two boxes of fun Christmas cards (at 50% off) to be sent out next year (if I keep track of where i store them.)

I also had myself a venti caffe mocha topped with whipped cream.  A yummy sugary buzz!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2006, 12:18:53 PM »

Television seems a little schivophrenic today.  It's a Monday and it's January 2nd, and yet the Gator Bowl is on this afternoon.  The Orange Bowl is tomorrow night (Go, Penn State!)  I remember when all the bowl games were played on New Years Day.  Now there are all these fake corporate sponsored bowl games (the Tostitos Bowl?!?) with third rate college teams that they have to interspread them throughout the week.  Sheesh!
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »

Two weeks from this very moment, DH Richard and I will be on our way to NYC for our 25th anniversary vacation!  Dinner at Barrymore's that evening, anyone?

We're talking Jan 16?  An Ayn Rand day?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »

Ginny - I may have missed it.  Did you end up getting tickets for the Barbara Cook concert at the Met?  

Yes, DR FJL, we did.  After much conversation here with you and Jason and Ben and at home with DH Richard, we opted for the front row of the balcony.  I know it's high up, and I wouldn't have minded spending more money for orchestra seats, but the ones available were pretty far back.  Being short height-challenged, I prefer the front row of any section and I'm hoping it will also have some extra leg room for my tall husband.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2006, 12:27:45 PM »

With all the ranting I'm doing here today, you might think I'm in a crabby mood, but I'm actually feeling quite mellow.  I'm comfy in my LL Bean gear--sweats and sheepskin bedroom slippers.  I've shut off the TV and put on the classical music channel on the radio.  Sipping a cuppa tea.  And I think I'll go take a little nap on the sofa.  La vie est bonne, indeed.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2006, 12:31:05 PM »

We're talking Jan 16?  An Ayn Rand day?

...well, the night of, anyway!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2006, 12:31:34 PM »

I'm exhausted!  I'm back from KING KONG, which has wonderful views of a mythological New York I fell in love with 50 years ago and wanted to live in.  I liked the film, but I could have easily cut 10-15 minutes from each ofd its three one-hour segments.  My other complaint was the final scene between Adrien Brody and Naomi Watts.  Vertigo to ther nth degree!

As I left the theatre, I was thinking about what a great movie season this has been for me:  KONG, THE  PRODUCERS, MRS HENDERSON . . ., TRANSAMERICA, and BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN; I still haven't got to the Narnia film, which I'm still ambivalent about seeing, CAPOTE, and GOODNIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, which I still want to do by the end of the week.  Usually, I'm wondering why nothing good is playing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2006, 12:34:51 PM »

I guess I'm truly in "day off" mode.  I got out of this seat for a while - headed upstairs to check the newspaper, made a few phones calls, etc.  And now I'm back at my laptop...  And, frankly, I don't really feel like doing anything today.  -But I may head to a movie later.  We'll see.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2006, 12:34:59 PM »

elmore go see Narnia.  We felt so good after leaving the theater yesterday.  

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2006, 12:36:45 PM »

Ginny I wish Richard’s mother well at the health-care center & a speedy return to her own apartment.

Thank you, Jane.  She certainly has an incentive to get back to her apartment, because they put her in a 2-bed room with a "permanent" resident.  She is one very unhappy camper and feisty enough to give them such a hard time they'll release her back to independent living.

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »

...Now there are all these fake corporate sponsored bowl games (the Tostitos Bowl?!?) with third rate college teams that they have to interspread them throughout the week.  Sheesh!

;D DR Dan(the Man), this true Blue Michigan Wolverine is delighted to consider one of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl teams (OSU Buckeyes) "third rate."  Of course, who am I to talk, when my team played in a real loser bowl last Wednesday and LOST?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2006, 12:40:37 PM »

Yes, continued good vibes for DH RICHARD's mom.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »

Such strange weather.  Thunderstorms and hail....temperature in the upper 50's!  Is it spring, or is it winter?   I guess winter returns by Friday with snow flurries and temps in the 20's.  Time Will Tell.

I also like Becco de Buca....the Olive Garden is okay, small portions, though.  I also like...Fazoli's which gives you a LOT of food for a small price, and the fetticini al fredo is very good.

Anyone else remember the routine Rose Marie used do about the goyim ordering an Italian dinner....starting with the myne-strone....

DR DtM - you've got a kewl hair thang going in your new avatar!  It's the new Jan Brady for 2006!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2006, 01:03:03 PM »

DR Jose, if you decide to go to Buca di Beppo, you had better take at least three others along.  They serve only family-sized entres.  It's good food--but there's alot of it.  The decore is fun, too--make sure to check out the men's room.

Oh, I am sure he will.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2006, 01:04:35 PM »

Oh... And, of course, there's Maggiano's.  -Yes, family style portions, but when you're on the road and have a fridge in your hotel room, very convenient.  But two pastas on Tuesday, have food for the rest of the week!  -And I like their chopped salad too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2006, 01:06:08 PM »

Well, it's a little after 4:00 here on the East Coast...  Think I'm finally gonna take my shower...  And then... ??

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2006, 01:07:34 PM »

TOD - For a small midwestern city, Middletown, OH, has several good local Italian restaurants.  I've never been to the most well-known, Shiavones.  Stefano's has great chicken cacciatore and Capozzi's, which is right here in our neighborhood has their spaghetti special on Wednedsay nights.

As for chains, I prefer Bravo Italian Cuccina; their Ensalata de la Casa (fancy for house salad) is so good that I've ordered a "catering" portion to take to a potluck dinner.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2006, 01:23:35 PM »

Has Jed caught up yet?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2006, 01:33:30 PM »

Thank you, Jane.  She certainly has an incentive to get back to her apartment, because they put her in a 2-bed room with a "permanent" resident.  She is one very unhappy camper and feisty enough to give them such a hard time they'll release her back to independent living.

Good for her.  I just hope she is getting the care she needs to get out of there.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2006, 01:41:45 PM »

It rained here for about four solid hours and a very hard rain it was, too. It's let up for the time being, but that 60 degrees never got here. In fact, it became that cold, raw day I so dreaded. Getting out in the damp and cold to go to lunch lessened the fun of the outing considerably.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »

Yes, Olive Garden gives you small portions but that's because they expect you to fill up on salad and breadsticks. Usually works for me! I don't go there often, however, because the line is always out the door. They're VERY popular here.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »

As for Buca di Beppo, I had never, ever even heard of this place until last night when we passed one going to the China Buffet place where we ate. I mentioned it, and my friend John said he had eaten there, and it was good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up