Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRMLY ENSCONCED  (Read 94976 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:FIRMLY ENSCONCED
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2006, 03:24:44 PM »

Well, DR JMK - basic similarities in the two books, of course, but ATLAS SHRUGGED is the more complete objectivist manifesto.

Al Ruddy had the TV rights for an ATLAS SHRUGGED mini series that was also announded for TNT a couple of years ago....that also has now gone by the wayside.

ATLAS SHRUGGED is my favorite book EVER, and I think the characters (though mostly one dimensional) are fascinating.  And the description of the book is still one of my favorite blurbs.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »

"This is the story of a man who said that he would stopo the motor of the world -- and did.

Is he a destroyer or a liberator?

Why does he have to fight his battle not against his enemies but against those who need him most?  Why does he fight his hardest battle against the woman he loves?

You will the answer to these questions when you discover the reason behind the baffling events that play havoc with the lives of the amazing men and women in this remarkable new book by the author of THE FOUNTAINHEAD.  You will discover why a productive genius became a worthless playboy...why a great steel industrialist was working for his own destruction..why a philosopher became a pirate...why a composer gave up his career on the night of his triumph...why a beautiful woman who ran a transcontinental railroad fell in love with the man she had sworn to kill.

Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in suspense, ATLAS SHRUGGED is unlike any other book you have ever read.  It is a mystery story, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder -- and rebirth -- of man's spirit."

My signature is the title of Part 3 of this book.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 03:33:26 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »

Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged Dance.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »

Hank Reardon invents Reardon steel, a metal that will revolutionize the industry if he can just get the Steel Trusts to let him market it.  At an anniversary party, he presents his wife Helen with a bracelet made of Reardon steel.  Helen is unimpressed.

Dagny Taggert takes off a priceless diamond bracelet and offers to exchange it for the one of Reardon steel.  Helen laughs and makes the trade.  From that moment on, Hank knows that his fate is tied up with Dagny's.....even though she is driven to find John Galt, the man she has dubbed the Destroyer!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2006, 03:54:58 PM »

Joan Davis: "Don't strip your gears, Maxwell, I'm just tryin' to get those guys interested."

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »

Joan Davis is a hoot.

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2006, 04:01:11 PM »

Front yard now looks splendid. Chatted with hunky neighbor who lives in mansion across the street. Ate a sandwich. Am having a cup a coffee. Laundry is going. Will now finish Bollywood movie.

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2006, 04:01:34 PM »

Although what I would really like to do is take a nap.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »

This weekend, my sister's boyfriend played a DVD that he taped from TV, a Christmas concert by The Barra MacNeils (a Celtic-style band from Canada).  I loved their version of "Auld Lang Syne" with what is purported to be the original melody.  Well, I found their website and they have a whole bunch of full-length clips from all of their albums.  They don't, however, have "Auld Lang Syne," but I am thoroughly enjoying everything else that is available.  I still want to get either the DVD or the CD with "Auld Lang Syne," but I may get something else by them, too!  I highly recommend them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 04:15:07 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2006, 04:21:48 PM »

DR DtM - you've got a kewl hair thang going in your new avatar!  It's the new Jan Brady for 2006!

Thank you, sir.  And I do it without product.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »

I'm back from Christmas gift giving at the Raines' apartment.  They're safely back from their African safari but suffering from major jet lag.  My goddaughter Charlotte just gave her opera director mother the funniest album for Christmas.  I cannot wait to buy it.  Here's the site, and the audio bit does not do this turkey justice.

http://www.orrielsmith.com/
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2006, 04:29:13 PM »

Oh dear DRELMORE - I think that lady still sings for the Indianapolis Opera Company....that Caro Namo sounds eerily familiar!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »

;D DR Dan(the Man), this true Blue Michigan Wolverine is delighted to consider one of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl teams (OSU Buckeyes) "third rate."  Of course, who am I to talk, when my team played in a real loser bowl last Wednesday and LOST?

Sorry for dissing your team, DR Ginny--I was just ranting about the proliferation of bowl games.  I don't really think OSU is third rate so much as--er--well, I'm not sure that they would have made it to a bowl game years ago when there were not as many.   ;)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2006, 04:29:50 PM »

Thank you, sir.  And I do it without product.

Lucky you, DtM - I would have to do it without HAIR!!  :P

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2006, 04:41:35 PM »

Rain has abated, and skies are clearing - who knew?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »

DR Dan I am very confused. You had the receipt, but it was for a different store? (i.e., you tried to return the BestBuy DVD at Circuit City and vice versa?).  I didn't know that there was any store that would accept any item that was not bought at that store.

It sounds very frustrating and I'm also sorry you had to go through that.  But it makes sense (unless i'm misunderstanding the whole thing!).

I was returning to Circuit City and had the receipt for Circuit City.  The DVD I was trying to return, however, was purchased in another store.  Even though it was the same exact item as was listed on the receipt, Circuit City considered it a completely different item since it did not have their own barcode on it.  I had the same problem at Best Buy, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who went through this rigamoroll.  It's a stupid policy.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »

Lucky you, DtM - I would have to do it without HAIR!!  :P

Don't they still make that spray-on hair?  I'm counting on that stuff, myself, in the coming years.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »

JRand, when I was in high school, my history teacher told me that I needed to read Atlas Shrugged and he would give me extra credit if I would read it and tell him what I thought about it.  I did and loved it. I read it every 10 years or so. It doesn't have the same effect it did when I was in high school and it gets very long at times, but I still enjoy it.  

I also love the way "The Virtue of Selfishness" sounds.  I had an interesting discussion about that concept with my secretary just before Christmas. I won't go into the details, but it was actually quite interesting.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2006, 05:00:42 PM »

JR will probably kill me for this, but--just read The Fountainhead.  It's the same story as Atlas Shrugged, only several hundred pages (and one unbearably long John Galt speech) shorter.   ;)

DR JMK, I think the two of us, having been through enough threads on r.a.t.m., slump our shoulders and droop our heads everytime someone mentions Ayn Rand.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2006, 05:02:22 PM »

Evening all! My but the past 2 days just flew by!  

I have to say that from now on my drinking on New Years Eve will be limited to beer—root beer that is.  One small (and I do mean small) glass of wine and I was sick as a dog.  

I should have known better.  Alcohol and I just don’t mix but I wanted to make the New Year special for Mom. I thought she might miss having a New Years toast with some “spirit”.  

Since she also stated it made her sick as well, it will be the last time.  

We did have the tradition pork and Sauerkraut for New Years dinner.  Good luck in the New Year is now a certainty.    

The tree is down and all decorations put away.  Sigh.  

So glad to read that Ben and DP Ant made it home safe and sound.  I’m looking forward to many pictures and stories about the trip!

I would also like to offer my most sincere condolences to DR Jane on your loss.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »

Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged Dance.  ;D

Hmmm...where does one stuff the dollar bills?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »

Sorry for dissing your team, DR Ginny--I was just ranting about the proliferation of bowl games.  I don't really think OSU is third rate so much as--er--well, I'm not sure that they would have made it to a bowl game years ago when there were not as many.   ;)

No, no, no, DR Dan(the Man), OSU isn't my team - I'm a Michigan Wolverine through and through.  I do agree with you, though, about the proliferation of post-season games - what my DH Richard calls "loser bowls."  They're, of course, all about $$$.  Speaking of OSU, classes start there tomorrow.  How many absences do you think will occur because their bowl game just entered the 4th quarter in Arizona?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2006, 05:07:30 PM »

Night Must Fall on TCM.  

Dan must go from HHW.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »

In the darn and drat department, I just learned that Michael Crawford AND Michael Ball will be in NYC later this month.

If I didn't have to have that darn surgery and use up all of my sick/vacation days I would be sorely tempted to make the trip up.  I still am sorely tempted.  Well, sore at least--so much for the "Pork and sauerkraut bring good luck in the New Year" theory.  Sigh.   ::) :'( :-\
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2006, 05:10:51 PM »

DR Danise - Happy New Year!  What are the particulars of Michael Crawford in NYC later this month?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2006, 05:10:57 PM »

How many absences do you think will occur because their bowl game just entered the 4th quarter in Arizona?

Every time someone scores, we can hear the booming fireworks, or whatever one sets off in the daytime when someone scores.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »

What's up with the weather?  Seems like it's raining and storming everywhere there are HHW'ers.

No rain here. None since mid-October!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2006, 05:12:12 PM »

DR Danise: When is your surgery??

Danise

« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »

DR Danise - Happy New Year!  What are the particulars of Michael Crawford in NYC later this month?

Happy New Year to you too!

As to the particulars.....

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=6585
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2006, 05:14:53 PM »

DR Danise: When is your surgery??
February 22nd.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up