Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT  (Read 20776 times)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2003, 10:35:57 AM »

This just in from Juliana... (more coming from her later...)

Date: 11/28/2003 12:47:17 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: CBrock69

The journal entry took me 2 1/2 hours to write. All in all it was a wonderful night and I had a blast and got a standing "O" (they jumped to their feet as soon as I came out). My adrenaline was pumping a mile a min. the entire time, but I think I controlled it for the most part. And it sure helped having the support of my cast and company!

The stage manager told me I was FABULOUS! after the show! And everyone was really nice. There were a few things I didnt "hit" like I wanted to, but they werent a huge deal, and Ill get them next time.

I had a ball. It's a dream come true!

Love, Jules

William E. Lurie

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2003, 10:59:30 AM »

LOVE ME TONIGHT was one of my favorite films.  The DVD was supposed to be out today (along with the Mamoulian APPLAUSE starring Helen Morgan) but I couldn't find them at the stores I looked for them at and they are not on the Footlights Website yet so they probably were delayed to next week.  I did find (2 weeks before the announced "Street Date") "The Songwritters - Kander & Ebb and Alan Jay Lerner".  I think these are from the 92nd Street Y Series but won't know for sure until I play it.   Announced for future release is one with Sheldon Harnick and "Yip" Harburg.

NYC has two other PBS Stations in addition to Channel 13 which shows all the new PBS programming and I just found out that on Monday one of them is showing a kinescope of a late 50s telecast of "Kiss Me Kate" with Broadway stars Alfred Drake and Patricia Morrison, tour star Julie Wilson and pop singer/future soap star Bill Hayes.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2003, 11:00:55 AM »

The acquisitive der Brucer and I were at the retail stores today!  It's all his fault, though.  He thought we'd be able to get a bargain on a vacuum cleaner he saw in the pre-Black Friday mailers, and didn't realize how crowded the stores get.  No rain checks, and they were sold out.  We bailed from that store fast.

So instead we went on over to one of the hardware stores in town and loaded up on Christmas stuff.  This might not make sense, but they had good bargains on tree trimmings and a tree base.  Since this is the first year in our going-on-eightteen that we'll actually have a tree, we're far behind on collecting that sort of stuff.  It's like starting out fresh, all over again!  Now we just need a tree.

We also took old doggie Kelsey to see the vet, regarding his arthritis.  The doc prescribed Rimadyl, the first non-steroid anti-inflamatory drug designed for dogs.  I'm glad to report that Kelsey made it through the physical exam with hardly a whimper, and only tried to gum the vet's assistant once.

I think we're both due for naps.

Oh, before I forget, somehow the conversation drifted over to the novels of James Michener.  (This was after der Brucer had pondered whether or not Asimov's Foundation trilogy could ever be made into a motion picture.)  The only book by Michener that der Brucer could remember reading was about "evolution, or something like that," but I pointed out that all of his major epics start out with evolution.  Actually, they start out with geography, then evolution, and then move on to stories with people in them.  It's been quite a while since I've read any of his books, but I recall Hawaii, Centennial, and Chesapeke as being major works of his.  Space was an oddity, as it was set entirely in modern times.

It might be interesting to go back and re-read some of his books.  Der Brucer, meanwhile, is threatening to find a copy of the Foundation trilogy and re-read that, but I think he's got a copy already.  It just hasn't been moved yet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2003, 11:05:21 AM »

Well, after sleeping till ten, I had a lovely healthy breakfast of pumpkin pie with a large dollop of whipped cream, a red bull, and some peanuts, I'm up and at 'em.

Bruce, I agree with you one hundred percent about La Streisand.  It's not about the song. It's all about her.  Showing off the instrument.  She can't let the song do the work and just sing it.  She disrespects the composers and the song.  

I feel the same way about her movies.  While there always something good in them, she undermines them by going over the top, getting self-indulgent, and by her utter inability to get over herself.  All her movies are too long and could use judicious cutting usually by about a half hour...usually stuff that focuses on her character (or just her) to the detriment of the actual story.

CD:  Helen Merrill, Dream of You

DVD:  Nothing, where are my screeners, Jack Valenti?!  Will be going out to see LOVE, ACTUALLY, later today.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2003, 11:15:27 AM »

I wish today was the biggest shopping day of the year in Canada. I love the biggest shopping day of the year! Unfortunately for us that is Dec 26th.

Hey BK, that talk about Nancy Drew brings back memories. Do you remember she brought us together!

In my VCR I have the new Trading Spaces Family from last night (they didn't even advertise a new episode).

And in my DVD I have Elaine Stritch at Liberty.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2003, 11:17:57 AM »

Btw, I am so happy that Juliana had a great night as Millie. I can't wait to read the full journal.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2003, 11:21:04 AM »

Well, I said I wouldn't do it this year, but I did...I was up and at K-Mart at 6:00 am!!! And I got a bundle of Christmas DVDs for $1.99 each...good stocking stuffers for the neices and nephews! Also picked up a Christmas surprise DVD there for DR JRand53 who will be taking some lovely trips into the jungle with Jerrie Turner and Kehane! LOL

Anyway, the crowds weren't as bad as I expected and traffic was actually light! So not a bad experience at all!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2003, 11:26:10 AM »

Maybe this belongs on the technical board, but the ability to listen to Donald's show is getting harder and harder.  The long pause between clips is bad enough (I know people have mentioned that on this here board) but now after a few clips I get a message that it has disconnected.  When I start again it freezes if I try to keep hitting "next clip" to get to the track I want.  I hope this is fixed before the new show replaces the Thanksgiving show since I want to hear from Track 27 to the end.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2003, 11:35:17 AM »

On CD: Broke out the Christmas music...The Andrew Sisters Christmas CD and some Christmas music by Combustible Edison.

VCR: Miss Marple in Murder Most Foul

DVD: Will watch Antwone Fisher later today and am in the middle of watching the bollywood film International Khiladi starring this hottie...

Akshay Kumar (my favorite modern day Bollywood star)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 11:36:23 AM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2003, 11:35:54 AM »

I want to be at Kmart at 6am (even though I don't think we have any Kmarts here anymore).

Wow, we need more shopping stories, for those of us who aren't able to participate.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2003, 11:38:36 AM »

Actually, whenever I read "DR MATTH" I think I'm reading Doctor Math and it kind of scares me.

That IS a scary observation, Noel!  I was talking with DR MattH just last night, and I learned something that rather frightened me:  He took "calculus" his freshman year in college....and this was in the late 60s.  

!!!!!!!!!!   :o

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2003, 11:44:33 AM »

I think the best thing about Thanksgiving are the leftovers.  My cuz made THE best Squash Soup I've ever tasted and I hate yellow squash.  Tonight is a repeat of last night with the leftovers, gotta love it.

CD Car - Toni Basil's new CD release of old LP's... something is up with the production of this CD, the tempo's are slow and her voice sounds WAY too low, I think someone goofed

CD Bedroom - Carpenters Antholgy, Disc 2

DVD - Furhter Tales of the City

VHS - soon to be a past production of "A Christmas Carol" to steal some ad-libs

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2003, 11:45:49 AM »

Are you shipping these yourself?  Will you ship to Canada?

Yes, we'll ship Our Wedding - The Musical to Canada and say it's a gift.  But there will be some sort of charge for shipping to foreign countries, while shipping here in the USA is going to be free.  I'm not sure what the Canadian surcharge will be yet, since I haven't calculated the time and money it's going to take to send up there.

Perhaps you Canadians can suggest something.

You, Jennifer, will have to provide your name or answer the following question: What's the last name of the only composer Larry Hart collaborated with after Richard Rodgers?   :-X
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 12:36:56 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2003, 11:48:51 AM »

Okay no shopping and no left-overs. This sucks :)

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2003, 12:00:24 PM »

What a cute picture. Who are those kids?

DR Noel. Just charge whatever it will cost you to ship us the cd. I'm pretty sure it won't be much more than it would cost you to ship to the US (maybe $2).

I know DR Emily and I were talking about shipping charges from the US (in yesterday's posts). It is frustrating for us, when most companies charge way more than what it costs them to ship.

Tomovoz

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2003, 12:14:25 PM »

Welcome to the world of Vistavision it seems!
As you know "Thanksgiving Day" is a non event here in OZ but what a warm story to welcome my morning when I read of the visitor to WEL & Ray. Thanks for sharing that special piece of happiness.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2003, 12:18:48 PM »

I nearly flunked out of calculus in my senior year of high school until I (and my parents) convinced the principal that it would really be OK for me to drop this non-required advanced class.

My high school math accomplishments (beside the calculus debacle) allowed me to entirely avoid classes in math in college.  (Even the courses I took to satisfy my college science requirement, psychology, did not require a great deal of mathematics.)  Then I learned that the graduate school I really, really wanted to go to required a certain level of proven proficiency in calculus in order to matriculate.  (This was a hoity-toity business school.)

Soooo, I arrived on campus for graduate studies four weeks early--and years since my last class in math--and took an immersion course in remedial calculus.  I never understood it and never understood its application.  Somehow, I passed.  It must have been sheer willpower.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 12:36:37 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2003, 12:35:33 PM »

I deleted the previous picture in an effort to clear up the vistavision thing.

It's my two nieces - the older one sings Would You Like To Have a Flower? in Our Wedding - The Musical.  The younger one, who will turn three in two weeks, can be heard during The Vows.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2003, 12:44:49 PM »

I slept late and have been home.  I might leave my apartment today, but I might not.  I got paid on Wednesday, so I have a bit of money to burn!  

In the meantime, in my DVD player:  the French release, Region 2 DVD of "Psycho Beach Party."  It has French subtitles that can be turned off.  I got in on eBay for less than $7.00 (including shipping) from England!

In my CD player:  nothing.

In my VCR:  nothing.  (what I'm watching on TV:  E's 100 Most Shocking Moments.)

On my record player:  records that I need to make CDs of...still.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2003, 12:48:53 PM »

You, Jennifer, will have to provide your name or answer the following question: What's the last name of the only composer Larry Hart collaborated with after Richard Rodgers?   :-X

Can I instead tell you who Richard Rodgers collaborated with after Larry Hart? :)

I really do not know who Hart collaborated with after Rodgers (and trying to cheat didn't help me!).

So my other choice is giving my name. Okay Jennifer!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 12:52:22 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2003, 12:50:16 PM »

DR Emily: please come and play.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2003, 12:55:37 PM »

DR Jennifer:  Look up the Broadway database and find out answers to those questions ... and then you can shine during pop quizzies!

Near my DVD:  X-Men/X-2 DTS DVD set

On my VCR:  Haven't a clue what's on that tape!

François

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2003, 12:56:51 PM »

DR Jennifer!

Companies charge more that what we actually pay for postage because they add the cost for HANDLING!

Think how trickier it is to order from Europe! :(

Will be back with "my" music selection later :)

Nice true story, Dr WEL!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2003, 01:06:37 PM »

Well H&K's. I wish I had better news to report this lovely day after Thanksgiving (which for me lasted from 4pm - 5am.. that's a lot of eatin!)

I received the following email from Mark just now which explains his absence and "guest" status on HHW.

Dear Craig,
Sorry I haven't written you sooner. With Thanksgiving and all it's been pretty hectic here. I haven't touched a keyboard in about 36 hours and that simple fact is actually pretty damn invigorating. Anyway, just wanted to confirm to you that I have left HHW. After seven years of favors, two of which creating HHW, the final silly conspiracy of stealing members to MSN broke the camel's back.

Not a big fan of those who leave sad farewell messages in the hopes of people convincing me to come back, I decided to try to do things quietly. Bruce, however, chose to blame the event on a joke and my lack of sense of humor. This is merely an after the fact excuse not based in reality. So, that's that. By the way, I was not on the grassy knoll.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2003, 01:08:50 PM »

I love the "Free Shipping" at Amazon. IF ONLY it were to OZ. I really don't see how such organisations can justify the high costs of Handling and Shipping. Dress Circle in London is even worse. When there's no alternative! The "over packaging" at Amazon is weird too. A large box filled with air packets and one CD!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2003, 01:11:30 PM »

DR Jennifer!

Companies charge more that what we actually pay for postage because they add the cost for HANDLING!

Think how trickier it is to order from Europe! :(

I guess I just don't see what the difference is for amazon to ship to canada or the US. Is there that much more to do?

I know you think it is trickier to order from Europe. And it probably is more expensive. But it is much harder for Canadians to order from the US than vice versa.

I have sent MANY things to the US and nobody has ever had their package stopped, or had to pay duty or handling. Nobody cares if you write "gift".

I am not sure if this is just in Quebec. But it is such a hassle.

DR Emily can attest to this fact. Who the heck wants to order a 15$ cd and pay 10$ in duty and handling fees.

Btw, do you order the french mega-musicals from amazon.fr? There are 2-4 of them that i am dying for. But I'm just not sure if it's worth the expense (and then to convert them).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 01:15:24 PM by Jennifer »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2003, 01:12:27 PM »

DR Ron... what do you THINK is on that tape?  Or can you share?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2003, 01:13:35 PM »

DR Jennifer:  It appears I've given you some bum advice relative to the Broadway database.  If you go through Lorenz Hart's credits there, you can conclude he collaborated with no composer -- EVER -- before or after Richard Rodgers.

That doesn't mean the listing is complete, but that you've either been challenged with providing some rare insider info or it's trick question.   :D

François

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2003, 01:18:19 PM »

Thanks -- isn't it thanks giving day ANY day of the year too? ;) -- to my International HHW Connection Society -- (you know who you are, Dear Readers), I have been enjoying those fabulous titles and /or talents:

Totally Bublé

Avenue Q

Hansel & Gretel -- Red Buttons and Barbara Cook -- never heard of them
 ;)

Little Shop Of Horror -- new cast recording!

and

Peter Brocklehurst whom I still have to discover!

Using today's BK's title, I believe Mr Christopher Reeve would say:

MAKING EVERY MOveMENT COUNT :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2003, 01:25:12 PM »

Hello, all!  I had a lovely, very low key, Thanksgiving with my friends Sharry, who is The Legend, her husband, Micheal (they were Dolly and Cornelius in DOLLY), and a very dear friend of ours, Frank, who directed me in Long Days Journey Into Night.  We dined, we listened to glorious holiday music courtesy of the Broadway Cares/ EFA CDs, and then we laughed ourselves silly playing this awful Titanic board game that Sharry picked up last year on "Close-Out" for five dollars.

Today, and for the rest of the weekend, I am spending all of my non-rehearsal time resting up for the final two-weeks push prior to opening of Oliver on December 12.  Shopping today, on the day after Thanksgiving?  Not on your life.  I spent too many years working in shopping malls to ever willing go near one of those on this day, just to shop.

Well, I don't suppose going out for a Grande mocha counts as shopping, so I shall return.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 01:28:36 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up