Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT  (Read 20775 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT
« on: November 28, 2003, 12:07:37 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've understood the notes, you've digested the notes, so now it's time to post until the turkeys come home.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:09:12 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 12:35:23 AM »

DVD: Richard Rodgers "Some Enchanted Evening" - Theatre Royal Drury Lane. Don't know if this is availabe in North America but it is worth seeking out to see and hear Dame Judi Dench at her brilliant best. No spoiler on her performance from "The Sound Of Music".
CDs: Tom Jones - the Original cast
         "Over And Over" - Demo recording of the Kander & EBb musical
          TheMusic of Harold Arlen - The 1995 Walden sessions.

Cd's in waiting: "Avenue Q" and "Little Shop Of Horrors" (New cast).

Thanks the those who are so thoughtful in making so much available to the starved in the Southern colonies.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 01:33:09 AM »

What am I doing up this early???

I haven't decided what I will have in DVD player or cd player this weekend. But yesterday Thoroughly Modern Millie, Sweet Charity and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Forget-Me-Not Lane were in the DVD player.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 01:33:45 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 03:39:10 AM »

DVD: Monsters, Inc.

VHS: The Bonita Granville "Nancy Drew" series of movies.

Have a happy Day After Thanksgiving, everyone!  Whatever you near, don't go near a retail establishment...
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 03:39:39 AM »

*sigh*

Whatever you DO, don't go near yadda yadda yadda...

Andrea

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 04:49:45 AM »

oy... Someone give Jay lots and lots of karma for me.

It's 7:48. I'm finishing a paper. The world is cruel to me!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 05:50:25 AM »

about Maureen Lipman. I thought she and Hugh Jackman and Shuler Hensley were the three strongest members of the cast

I agree with you, DR Matt H, although I didn't see the whole thing.

In the VCR should be Law & Order.  That's at home.
Here: well, Dad and I listened to the CD of the 2003 production of Murder at the Savoy, which we enjoyed very much.  He asked me whether music or lyrics came first, to which I had to say, "That was 22 years ago; I don't honestly remember."

But when I said I'd outlined the story, he said he'd done no such thing in writing his novel.  Which, I feel, is one of the main troubles with it: it's not structured in such a way that you ever care about or want to know what's happening next.

In the past week we watched the DVD of Apocalypse Now.  Not one of my favorites.

I'm sending the CD of Our Wedding - The Musical off to be run.  It'll be in my hands in a matter of days.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 05:51:50 AM »

So far, nothing is in anything else.  Alas! (Although "Alad" would probably be more appropos~) ;)

I'll check back after work and see if I've had anything in anything else by then.

I loved Bonita Granville (in the Nancy Drew series) and in  "Now Voyager."  She was unspeakably evil in first movie version of "The Childrens' Hour" (which was callled something else).  It was a very brave move for an actress to be so evil---- as brave and evil as Ann Blythe in "Mildred Pierce.  Takes a lot of guts to be mean to the stars of the film)
I was lucky enough to meet Ms. Granville (by then Mrs. Wrather --- of Lassie fame) at the the only time I ever dined at Chasen's.  She was intorduced to me  and was most gracious and surprised I knew so much of her work.   I shall alwyas remember that evening with great fondness.  (As long as we're talking about making every moment count).
So, enjoy the Nancy Drew series.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 05:59:15 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Danise

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 06:10:51 AM »

Good morning!  It's 8:45 AM and I am NOT a shopping mall!  Are you suprised?  Are you shocked?  Are you proud of me?

Glad to hear all had a good day yesterday.  That's the way it should be.  I know that won't always happen but it's so nice when it does.  Just a thought here, but cherish your time with your loved ones, good or bad.  Someday, they may be gone and you'll wish you had any kind of time back with them.

So, what's on the agenda for today?  If your not going to shop till you drop, what are you going to drop from?

In the DVD--still working on the 1st season of Babylon 5.

In the CD -  Meat Loaf--Couldn't Have Said It Better

In the VCR- Nothing.  

I might be moving a little slow today.  

But I'm sure that sometime I'll be doing this:

I LOVE that!  It's my new favorite smiley.  

I do hope everything went well for Juliana.  She must be so thrilled and proud.  

Have a good day, posters and lurkers!  TGIF for those who have to work this day!

Danise
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 06:14:17 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 06:15:26 AM »

Hey something strange happened when I tried to update my post--I got the following message"

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/haineshisway/community/index.php on line 58
Too many connections

What does that mean?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 06:19:33 AM »

DVD - Picking up CHITTY CHITTY today
CD - The BCV/EFA Xmas CD Volume 5 (a 2 disc set this year - 20 Broadway shows are represented and 19 are still running (only BIG RIVER is closed)
VHS - Nothing

BK - I totally agree with you about Babs.  She still has the voice but needs better advice on what to record. The Hollywood CD is better than her last few, but nowhere near the Babs of old.   Her 2nd Xmas album from a year or two ago is the worst Xmas album I ever heard whereas her first from the mid-60s is one of the best.  Her first several albums had the variety of material she should still be doing.  

One of Ray's sisters has an 8-year-old stepson with Downs and he came over for Thanksgiving.  What a delightful child.  He fell in love with the dog (and vice versa) and she was sad to see him go.  Someone mentioned he was a WIZARD OF OZ fan so I gave him an old WOZ picture book and he said thank you and gave me a big hug.  He knew every character.  We didn't have time to watch that movie but I put on a couple of Disney classic cartoons for him and everyone sat around watching him enjoy the cartoons.  He kept telling the pigs to run faster from the wolf.  Also when the pigs came on he would put his hand on his behind and wiggle his little finger like a tail.  I wonder who is really the handicapped person... him or us!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 07:19:47 AM »

Good morning.

BK - "Assmembly Woman" - ????  *Although I'm sure there are some "assmembly" members out there who resemble that pseudo-Freudian slip.

Alas, I am not shopping either.  I slept in, more or less, until about 9:00AM.  My sister-in-law, however, did go out, and she's already back with a few bags of bargains.  My brother, Don, went out, but came back... lines were just way too long he said.  However, they'll both be heading back out later today.

*And there's a chance of snow showers tonight!!! *I like snow.  :D

As for the media player check.. again.. nothing.  Does having NPR and the local news/traffic station on my radio count for anything?

Well, I need to head down and fix some breakfast for myself.  I'll be back...

And, WEL, great story!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 07:26:29 AM »

Oh, and DR SWW - For chewy oatmeal cookies, you can try adding some corn syrup and/or maple syrup(!) to the cookie dough - just cut back on the white sugar by about a 1/4-cup and replace it with either.  I've also discovered that you have to think you're underbaking them too to get them to be chewy - especially if you're cooling the cookies on the baking sheets since they will continue to cook as they cool.

There's also the "trick" of portioning out the balls of dough, and putting them in the freezer.  Just plop the frozen dough balls on the cookie sheets and bake.  *It's also a great way to keep "fresh cookies" on hand for those unexpected visitors - and nieces and nephews.  Pam Anderson's "CookSmart" outlines this method - the peanut butter cookie recipe is my favorite!  And Alton Brown has recipes for chewy, thin & crispy, and cakey chocolate chip cookies available on foodtv.com.  -You can adapt the "principles" for other recipes.

And, if you're short on cookie sheets... Parchment Paper!  So easy!  And you can prep additional "sheets" while the other ones are in the oven.  And, best of all, makes clean up a snap!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 07:40:38 AM »

I am glad that DRs Noel and MattH enjoyed whatshername in Oklahoma!.  Just not for me.  I will tell you someone else who enjoyed her performance immensely, and in fact thought it was the best thing in the show.....she did!  Hugh and Shuler and "Laurey"...I sorry I don't remember her name...Will Parker, all were good.  And it was great to see Laurey and Curly and Jud doing their own parts in the ballet!  But Eller and Annie didn't do it for me!  They were okay....the WORST was Ali Hakim!  And what was with that guy WAY off rhythm singing that part in "The Farmer and the Cowman"....."And when this territory is a state....."  that was weird!

ANYWAY - not saying anyone else should share my opinion, just saying why I felt that way.

Let's see:

DVD - A Night to Remember
VHS - Land of the Pharaohs
CD - A Mighty Wind
Phonograph - Elvis, Paradise Hawaiian Style

I know, I know....and he didn't like Oklahoma! ???????
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2003, 07:53:05 AM »

Not to fret. I love that we all get along so well at HHW that we can see something, disagree about its merits or lack thereof, and continue to be such good and hearty friends.

I am looking forward to a REAL bum day (no shave or shower) and just of vegetating in my lounge chair and watching media, media media. On tap:

CD - ERNEST IN LOVE (OCR)

laserdisc - THE ADVENTURES OF ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD

DVD - THE HOUSE OF FEAR (last in the second SHERLOCK HOLMES boxed set) and then X-2.

VHS - probably a WILL & GRACE marathon from season 4.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2003, 07:56:49 AM »

I meant to say I agree with bk and WEL and maybe even like THE MOVIE ALBUM a little less than they did. She's in fine voice, but the songs I thought she'd soar on ("You're Gonna Hear from Me," one of my all-time favorites) were disappointing. Something like "Emily" was surprisingly better. A VERY mixed bag from my perspective. Give me her PEOPLE album any day.

A note on CHRISTMAS MEMORIES. I didn't buy it the Christmas it first came out (last year or was it year before last?) Anyway, I was going through a used disc site yesterday and saw it for $2.99, so I bought it. Obviously, I overspent!   ::)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 07:58:18 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2003, 08:03:20 AM »

I just read in USATODAY that LOVE ME TONIGHT, that fabulous musical with Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald, is being released on DVD next week. No way! This is the first I've heard of that! What great news if it's true! Is anyone else knowledgeable about its imminent release?

Can THE SMILING LIEUTENANT be far behind?   ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 08:04:48 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2003, 08:19:26 AM »

I really enjoyed my Thanksgiving dinner at my friends' home yesterday, but one of the real downers about eating at someone else's house is NO LEFTOVERS. Unlike some of you who will have turkey sandwiches or turkey hash to salivate over in the coming days, I will be making spaghetti in about an hour. I guess I'll buy a turkey breast for Christmas so I'll at least get some turkey leftovers at some point during the holiday season.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 08:20:19 AM by Matt H. »

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2003, 08:51:53 AM »

Here I am chiming in the day after Thanksgiving. Couldn't get on-line yesterday. We were having phone problems, not computer problems on Long Island. We had a faboo day and we will actually go out in a while. I need to be the good uncle to my lovely nieces and nephews and mail out their packages. We "funny uncles" need to keep our status. Ant and I love to send out our Christmas packages to the younger folk in the family. Like Jose's young cousins and nieces/nephews, they are all comfortable with us and that makes me very happy.

May not be around much this weekend but I wanted to pop in and wish all a happy day after and all those cranberries.

Jenn, congrats on your new status. I hope to achieve my changeover later this month when we are back in NYC.

Love to all.

P.S. Kerry & Lyn, look in the mailbox next week. Something went out today!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2003, 09:04:47 AM »

Oh....Mr BK did you know that the music from TALES OF HOFFMAN was played by the orchestra in the first class dining room on Sunday, April 14, 1912, on board the Titanic?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2003, 09:20:28 AM »

Not to fret. I love that we all get along so well at HHW that we can see something, disagree about its merits or lack thereof, and continue to be such good and hearty friends.

DR MattH is speaking for himself.  If JRand doesn't turn around and start appreciating Maureen Lippman's performance as Aunt Eller, I'm going to boo him every 72 hours until his karma ain't an integer!   :o

Actually, whenever I read "DR MATTH" I think I'm reading Doctor Math and it kind of scares me.

A while back there was a group of singers who put on a concert of songs that were believed to have been performed on the Titanic.  They got the idea of turning their concert into a musical, by having someone write dialogue to go between the songs.  Guess who got the job.

It meant creating characters for these individual performers because, since the cast existed before the idea for the show came about, the show had already been cast.  Then, I hit upon a comic idea: that, at first, the singers on the Titanic might not have taken the crash with the iceberg seriously.  So, I had them improvise a dance, dubbed The Titanic in which one traipses around as if walking on an increaasingly slanted floor, avoiding puddles.

They paid me for my work, but didn't go on to produce the show.  I imagine this version would have been as different from Maury Yestin's show as Maury Yestin's Phantom is different from Andrew Lloyd Webber's.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2003, 09:22:00 AM »

If no one is at the retail stores then where in tarnation ARE they?  Shouldn't they be here?  Here, where the party's goin' on all the livelong day and night?  That's what I'M talkin' about.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2003, 09:23:35 AM »

LOL....DR Noel...sounds like a play DRKurt was in called "Dinner on the Titanic" that took place on that Sunday night.  Everyone in the cast sat at the table as the stage got more and more slanted.   ;D

If my Karma goes down, it will be one MORE reason for me not to like that woman.   :P
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 09:23:58 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2003, 09:30:48 AM »

"Assmemblywoman"?  Not any more.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2003, 09:34:11 AM »

Dear Reader Andrea--

Aww, shucks.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Lulu

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2003, 09:38:10 AM »

OMG, Land of the Pharoahs!  LOL.  Isn't that the one with Joan Collins?  If so, LOVED it!  DH and I were reminiscing about it just the other day...

Matt: We actually threw out almost all of our leftovers just now.  Just kept the turkey and the 24 hour salad, of which there is only one good-sized portion left, anyway.  We decided to just bite the bullet rather than spend the rest of the week nibbling on rich sauce-ridden dishes and starchy stuffing and potatoes and wind up gaining weight and feeling logy all week long.  Aren't we neat? ;)

RE: "making every moment count."  This is one of those things we are always exhorted to do, and in theory I suppose it's all well and good, but I must say I don't care for the idea of actually doing it.  I mean really.  Going through your life making every single itty bitty moment "count"?  Sounds exhausting.   It's like how during summer vacation your grandma always wants you to spend your time "productively" rather than just hanging around in a hammock lazing the morning away with a Nancy Drew book, or messing around with your Fashion Plates, or playing Space Invaders.  Can't I just have FUN, Grandma?  Isn't that enough?

OK, so maybe I am taking it all too personally. ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2003, 09:41:10 AM »

Yes DR LULU - Miss Joan Collins gets her kingdom, but it isn't exactly the way she wanted it to be!  LOL

Off to my friend Jerry's house for an afternoon of movie watching.

Lulu

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2003, 09:42:18 AM »

Have fun, Jrand!

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2003, 10:25:50 AM »

DR Andrea I'm sorry that guy with all the initials (CYGOPP) was not a gentleman.  Does he at least realize that he didn't treat you properly?

DR Noel: I love that cd cover picture!
I have a question.  Are you shipping these yourself?  Will you ship to Canada?

The reason I ask is because if you or DR Joy were to ship it yourself and check off gift, then us Canadians would have no problems. But otherwise those nice postal people take merchandise we buy and keep it and then charge us duty (and a $5 surcharge for their time).

I really want to hear this cd.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2003, 10:35:04 AM »

...And Alton Brown has recipes for chewy, thin & crispy, and cakey chocolate chip cookies available on foodtv.com.  ...
I've been thinking of looking up Alton's stuff.  The transcripts of his shows can be found at The Good Eats Fan Page, and if anyone out there is a true Alton apostle, the episode "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" is on the Good Eats: Super Sweets DVD.  Unfortunately, my DVDs haven't been moved from Long to Rehoboth Beach yet.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up