Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT  (Read 20778 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2003, 01:27:01 PM »

DR Jennifer:  It appears I've given you some bum advice relative to the Broadway database.  If you go through Lorenz Hart's credits there, you can conclude he collaborated with no composer -- EVER -- before or after Richard Rodgers.

That doesn't mean the listing is complete, but that you've either been challenged with providing some rare insider info or it's trick question.   :D

Oh, you'll be kicking yourself once the answer is revealed!

(And that's what makes a good trivia question.)  :-[
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 01:39:15 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2003, 01:32:50 PM »

Matthew:  Re: the VHS tape -- dross.  This and that.  It may contain a Nova special called "Lost Treasures of the Roman Empire"; it had an old "Survivor" on it, but I think it's been taped over.  I stuck it in my machine last night without rewinding to see what else was there.  I had intended to record a show I was going to miss, but then I learned it wasn't airing so I didn't bother.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2003, 01:34:01 PM »

DR Noel:  I never kick myself.  It hurts.

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2003, 01:41:36 PM »

I was tempted to write something about TCB and his preference for Grande but I shall of course restrain from such  a comment.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2003, 01:44:45 PM »

Dear Reader Jennifer:

You should check the second-hand stores in Montréal: not too long ago Dear Reader Michael Shayne gave a list of some of them here!

I do not care for Europop musicals, hence I don't have any in my collection, but let me know if I can help...

French Customs rarely add import charges, and I believe the Québéc Government does not want you to order goods outside its limits!.... :-\

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2003, 01:48:58 PM »

DR Lulu, to commit the ultimate sacrelige of throwing out leftovers is horrendous enough but to publicly proclaim it PROUDLY just defies all logic and reason.

My spaghetti sauce did turn out exceptionally well, however, and I had a grand dinner today despite its not being Thanksgiving leftovers.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2003, 02:07:43 PM »

Well, I survived the mall...

Car-traffic-wise, it wasn't bad at all.  And the mall had some pretty efficient traffic cops at all the intersections making sure people got in and out in a timely manner.

Of course, as soon as I stepped inside the mall, I asked myself, "Why the hell am I here?  What do I need to buy?"  Hmmm... I had no real answers to either question, except for the ubiquitous, "because..."... Ah, well...  So I just ambled around, and went into stores I was just in last week hoping to find some of the things I saw last week on sale.  No luck.  However, Banana Republic did have a nice long-sleeve, black shirt on sale, and I did pick up that.  One can never have too many black shirts in my biz.  I also scored a nice deal on a nice saute pan at Hecht's - it pays to clip those coupons.

One "laugh out loud" moment was when I walked by Abercrombie & Fitch.  I noticed there was a young gentleman at the entrance in jeans, boxers (they were peeking out of the top of his jeans), and nothing else.  Hmmm...  It turns out it was a special promotion to raise money for a charity: make a donation and have your picture taken with two shirtless men "ripped from the pages of A&F".  Hmm....  I only saw one.  However, I did walk by the store a few times to see if the second guy every showed up - he didn't.  And I didn't see anyone doing anything charitable when I passed by the store again.. and again...   ;)

So... After realizing that I hadn't had any real food since I woke up - and the Food "Corridor" was just crazy-busy, I headed back to the car and stopped at a nice Chinese place on the way home for some Tofu with Mixed Vegetables.  I needed something semi-healthy today.  The food was good, and it helped to ease the headache that was building up.

Oh, and I did get my hair cut this morning too.

Well, I think that's about it for now.  I'm gonna head in early to the theatre so I can make a short pit stop at another mall... I know, glutton for punishment...  But since it's later than I thought, I might just hold off until tomorrow morning.... Of course....

"Why am I here?"
"What do I need to buy?"

-And I might have some leftovers tonight when I get back from the show...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »

Well, dear readers, it is with a heavy heart that I write the following:

I have read what Mr. Bakalor wrote to Craig (and which Craig printed herein) and I have read Mr. Bakalor's e-mail to me, which I may share with you since he has chosen to share my e-mails to him with others.

I am mightily upset with the implications that are in Mr. Bakalor's e-mail - I'm going to try to have a conversation with him about it, otherwise I'll deal with this publicly, but the bottom line is I am thinking about shutting down haineshisway.com.  I know this sounds "hysterical" but if and when you read his e-mail you will understand totally why my thinking has gone in that direction.  We've had a good run and maybe it's just time to fold the tent and move on.

Despite what he thinks of as my badgering everyone to post and keep our stats up, I do it all in fun, but apparently some don't think it's in fun and are upset by it or something.  This site was born out of pain and hell and its growth has been a wonderful thing to behold.  I think we have a wonderful group of people here, but according to Mr. Bakalor many of them are so annoyed with me that they are getting ready to leave.  I just don't get it, I honestly don't.  

The MSN thing was, for the most part, a joke.  The only serious part of it was that I didn't love that several people who normally post quite a bit in the evening were off doing their MSN thing with Mr. Bakalor.  It doesn't matter, really, and maybe I shouldn't have joked about it (I sent Mr. Bakalor an e-mail from Guy Haines about it, and an additional one from me - both were, in my mind, not serious, but I can see how someone who was feeling anger could perceive that they were).   I have apologized to Mr. Bakalor for them.  In any case, I'm just sitting here and I'm not a happy camper and I'm in a real quandary as to what to do.  Just sharing my thoughts, as always.

François

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2003, 02:37:17 PM »

BK,

Just my immediate reaction!

BEFORE making a final decision, I think you should what for our feedback and let this rest for a few days!

Feelings have been hurt and I don't find it wise to  make any radical move right now!

Hey, Hainsies and Kimmlets! What do YOU say?

François

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2003, 02:37:56 PM »

what= WAIT!

Emily

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2003, 02:45:05 PM »

I thought I'd check the board from work to cheer myself up.

:(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2003, 03:06:13 PM »

Well, of course, bk, the ultimate decision is yours, but I would hope you'd wait to see what the fallout is from this occurrence and then make a decision. I have made some wonderful friends here, and I think the possibility exists for the board to grow and prosper regardless of who goes their separate ways.

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2003, 03:12:46 PM »

Feedback. Wait until everyone is back on board PLEASE. We all annoy each other at times - we all have parts of our personalites that grate on others BUT so does every family member in every family and WE ARE FAMILY.  Good grief (no be confused with not so good grief or grief of a bad kind) BK and GH are both part of our days. Most of us us tactful most of the time and no doubt we all make comments that will be annoying or uninteresting to other DRs But there is so much gold here. (Or do I mean Bounce from so many Wise Guys).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2003, 03:15:58 PM »

Please don't close the site.   There are plenty of other web services you could use.  And I'm sure Donald can find aother sponser for the radio show.  Even if DRs have to pay a small membership fee it would be worth it.  What would I switch my home page to?

I don't know of anyone Hart wrote with after Rodgers, but during their partnership while they were under contract to MGM he wrote English lyrics to some of the Lehar music for the early-30s Chevalier/MacDonald "The Merry Widow".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2003, 03:16:51 PM »

Well of course, I hope the board is not shut down.  There are many good and interesting people here, posting good and interesting things, and I like coming here.

I have to confess I'm not overly fond of the exhortations to "post more" and "get those stats up" (which have never felt like jokes to me), but they certainly don't make me want to go away - and I have never, ever expressed an opinion about those posts until right now.

I do wish at times that there weren't quite so much drama and speculation about evil cabals and such but hey...the good still outweighs the bad, by a substantial margin.

That's my two cents' (probably worth 1/6 of a penny, with inflation what it is).

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2003, 03:17:38 PM »

Emily's post above says so much. Many of us check in to be cheered up and to ecsape from whatever is bugging us - Our escape plan invariably works.
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2003, 03:17:56 PM »

Hmm.

Well, I hope you keep us all updated through emails or something with news about how this is working out. Kind of weird how things are so different than they appear, yet completely obvious when they're brought up.

I understand the logistics of what's going on. I understand how this site is both a blessing and a burden. I understand that people don't get along sometimes, and there's no way to change one's mind or one's opinion.

There is one thing I DON'T understand. This may sound conceited or high-and-mighty, but it's not meant to be. I don't understand how I, at age sixteen, could figure out a way to solve this problem in 15 seconds, while people much, much older than me can't set their differences aside to figure it out. I don't know, it just seems to me that there's a very obvious solution, but it's none of my business and that's that.

If it closes, I'll miss you all. And I'm sorry if I've been a source of annoyance over the past few months, but the past is in the past. Ooooh well.

I met a wonderful elderly English man yesterday who has lived in the US for 35 years. He's a retired sailor, and used to man the yachts for the royal family. He cannot swim, and is terrified of getting in water that isn't in a bathroom. He lives in Texas for 15 years, and has one thing to say about it: "Texas has two climates: hot, and FREAKING hot. I'm English and I never thought I'd say the word freaking in my life, but I suppose you've got to try everything once. Like that crack cocaine."
...Walk in the sunshine...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2003, 03:18:17 PM »

BK- keep the board up.  Keep Haineshisway on the web.  Don't worry about who's posting or not or why.  Don't worry about posting records.  Just go with the ebb and flow.  Having been on a couple of other boards like these for years, I can tell you some days are hot, some not, and over the years the players change.  

Of course, if it's all become a big pain-in-ass, chuck it.  No point in doing something you don't have to, if it's no fun.

I have not read most of the posts pertaining to all this and wish I had not read Craig's from Mr. Bakalor.  I just as soon folks keep their private business, private.

Lulu

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2003, 03:18:22 PM »

Besides, the board can't shut down now.  I just graduated from Newbie to Jr. Member!

*fanfare*

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2003, 03:19:43 PM »

I think if you saw Mr. Bakalor's e-mail you would understand why I am feeling what I am.  I will take a vote - if you want me to print it along with my response, I will (I have no qualms about doing so, since he states clearly in his e-mail to me that he has shared what he wrote (along with quotes from me) with others.

I am rarely bothered by these sorts of things, but his implications are many and I don't like them if they're true.

Lulu

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2003, 03:19:50 PM »

LOL, Sarah.

You have never been annoyance to me.  I think you're quite delightful, actually.

Michael

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2003, 03:20:22 PM »

I have to second what dear reader Matt Hough had to say. He and I go way back to a bulletin board called Greasepaint.

I think we have for a knowledgable group of people who know about film, theater, tv and music to write intelligently about it. We may not always agree what other people have to say, but we do it gracefully. It is wonderful group of people on HHW who know about movies from the 40's onwards, know who Cole Porter and George Gershwin or Jerry Herman are and people who remember seeing the original runs of classic tv series like the Dick Van Dyke Show. It is refreshing that people are willing to share what they know with others and for the younger crowd who may not be familar they are educated and will go out and discover the artists who they are not familar with.
Never stop dreaming.

Lulu

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2003, 03:20:53 PM »

I vote to keep the board, which is very enjoyable, and also to keep the private correspondence private.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2003, 03:23:23 PM »

And Swishy, feel free to share your fifteen second solution.  Maybe it will work.  And I don't really think you've annoyed anyone on this site.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2003, 03:25:30 PM »

I'll second and third everything said about holding off on any rash decision-making.

First, you've established a nice thing here.

Second, these people who are contemplating leaving:  As you so often say, "People come, people go...."  Why not wait and see.

Unless, of course, you believe the list would die without these members who are thinking of leaving.

It's always sad to see folks pull up stakes and move on...but life does go on.  And sometimes, growth results.

By all means, print Mark's letter, if you feel it would not be breaking netiquette.  I suppose if he has shared correspondence to you with others, it's hardly private any more anyway.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 03:29:09 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2003, 03:25:34 PM »

Frankly, I wouldn't mind reading the private posts if for no other reason that to be able to offer an opinion based on all the facts rather than mere speculation or rumor.

François

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2003, 03:40:54 PM »

Yes, Swishy, you've said "too much" already not to say MORE!

I don't know about Mark's email to BK: I believe if he had wanted us to know he would have posted his qualms on the site.

Besides, he always thought we are all crazy!!!

You Can't Please Everybody
But You've Got to Please Yourself!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2003, 03:42:33 PM »

Personally, I don't have any reason or desire to form an opinion on these events in a public forum.  The grievance is between two people and has nothing to do with me or the reason I visit this board.  I would prefer they work it out...or not, as the case may be...by themselves.

I don't mind getting all the dish, gossip, skinny about personal grievances, feuds, disagreements, clash of personalities privately from someone who is a friend.  

I find it a bit discomforting, however, to have them aired in a public forum where any stranger can read them.  That has the confessional air of a Jerry Springer panel...and certainly is not the genial quality of camaderie which is a large reason I come to these boards.  

My dissection of this problem is not needed at all, I suspect.  It is certainly not needed here on the message boards.  I urge BK to take the high road and not publish the offending email.  I would hate to waste time on these boards filling up with accusations and counter-accusations.  In fact, as far as I'm concerned, it should all be dropped now and let's just get on with what these boards do best.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2003, 03:44:02 PM »

I am not trying to be a drama queen here, and I hope you all know that.  I am also not interested in airing a bunch of boring laundry.   But the implications are of concern to me.  

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2003, 03:44:28 PM »

Solution in 15 Seconds: Actually get together, sit down, and talk about it like adults instead of emailing and messaging and throwing fits and calling names. You don't have to "win", if you can admit that maybe you're at fault too, then the next step is fixing the problem. The funny thing is that you learn this is Kindergarten.

And I know for a fact that people here have been annoyed with me, although I thank Lulu and BK for saying their nice comments :). (Note that there is no bitterness in that sentence, I could care less if people were annoyed with me. If I cared about stuff like that, I'd become even MORE annoying. It's only the internet after all, if your feelings are hurt by someone you don't even know by more than pictures and words, you MIGHT be a little over-sensitive.)

See, I'm smiling :). (Oh, a L5Y reference...)
...Walk in the sunshine...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up