Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: OPENING NIGHT 1  (Read 24029 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:OPENING NIGHT 1
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 07:36:28 AM »

DR DakotaCelt - I'm in Washington, DC, right now playing for a production of Damn Yankees at Arena Stage.

www.arenastage.org
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 07:37:11 AM »

Most miserable opening night I ever had was for WEST SIDE STORY. The production design had Sharks and Jets moving stage pieces around as scenes changed, and these things had to be as choreographed as any of the dances we did, and the night before we opened, I was at the theater past 1 a.m. getting the choreography for my piece in my head. Before the show opened that night, we had a set choreography rehearsal for each scene, but that was the first time we ever got it right - right before we opened, and I was SO nervous the entire performance hoping we'd do it right. It went fine, but I couldn't enjoy performing in the show because of the worries over that set change movement.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 07:41:57 AM »

My favourite opening nights have usually concerned my own plays.  It was a great joy to see my Thin Man pastiche mystery, WHODUNNIT, DARLING? (which I wrote with pal, Larry Drake)  play before an opening night crowd, hearing them laugh in all the right places and generally seeing it work just as I suspected it would, reinforcing my own sense of dramaturgy and that I knew what the Hell I was doing.

Likewise with my Sherlock Holmes play, THE EBONY APE.  I had originally written the play to be done at my old alma mater at UK, but it was rejected by the head of the Theatre Department at the time, for what I found to be reasons that were utter flummery...most glaring of which was that it's huge two-story main set couldn't be designed and mounted on the university stage.  

This I knew to be nonsense since I had performed in plays there that had had much more daunting sets.  I also had a ground plan of the theatre and stage and had consulted it when writing my play.  The theatre had plenty of wing space for everything.  The shop was right off the stage.  Many's the time we rolled multi-leveled wagon units on and off stage during a performance.

Anyway, the local theatre company decided to do it, were eager to do it; I produced with them and directed.  We also got some grant money. We had the largest turnout for auditions ever! We got unprecedented media coverage both paper and TV.

We ended up mounting the show in The Opera House...the major theatrical house where all the touring shows played (This was a grand old theatre which in the old days the Barrymores and others had toured in.  During my college years, it had been a 65-cent,  second-run, double-feature house where I had spent many an hour watching an odd assortment of films like The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes; Royal Hunt of The Sun; The Fixer (on a bill with Tarzan and the Great River); Support Your Local Sheriff, etc.).  Shortly after I left school, they had re-done the place and the first legit theatre piece to play there was Belle of Amherst with Julie Harris.

We ended up using a designer from the University theatre department to design the set that the dept. head said couldn't be done (the designer had his own things to prove to the head) and the play opened to great acclaim and went on to have a successful run.  We could have held it over, but the theatre was already booked.  

The opening night party was a flurry of effusion and compliments. I got blissfully giddy on champagne.  And the head of the University Theatre Department came up to me to congratulate me and tell me how well the "impossible play to mount"  had played.  I love vindication.  We got a huge amount of press and publicity that could have been the University's had someone had the foresight to see the advantage of built-in  "successful alumni comes back to his school to do his play" publicity.  But too many petty issues and ego got in the way and deprived the University of that moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2006, 07:46:31 AM »

As for Opening Nights...

They can generally be a little weird for me, especially when I'm behind the piano, in the pit for the show.  -Where no one can really see me.  Yes, they hear me, but they don't see me.  So, I always feel a little left out at the party watching everyone else get congratulated and complimented, and then I get, "Oh, I didn't know you were here?  Did you see the show tonight?"  Umm... Well... If you read your program...

But that whole scenario comes with the territory.  -And this has even happened where I've done show that were "piano only".  In short, I guess I do have an ego.

;)

Otherwise, Opening Nights are also weird for me since I generally can't relax that much and have too good a time since I - and the rest of the cast and crew - have another show the next day - and sometimes it's a matinee (ugh).

At Arena - where I'm currently at - they have an "End of the First Week" party which is always a blast.  It's a Sunday night.  No performance on Monday.  And we've just finished a long stretch of shows during the opening weekend...  Whew!  And the best part of it it that it's just the cast and crew and orchestra.  We all know each other, and there's none of that "I have to be nice and smile" stuff in the air (like is usually there on opening night).

But, if I had to pick my favorite opening night, it would have to be, hands down, Sweeney Todd at the Kennedy Center three summers ago.  Just such a magical experience all around.  And it was also the first Opening Night of the Sondheim Celebration.  -And the closing night of that was also pretty spectacular.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 07:49:59 AM »

And, if the gods of the theatre are smiling on us, I'll be able to experience my first Broadway Opening Night on April 13 with Lestat.  -Heck, I know I'll be giddy on March 11, our first preview - which will be my first Broadway First Preview.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 07:50:26 AM »

I've never been to an opening night on Broadway, so that's one dream event I'd like to participate it before I'm gone.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 07:54:52 AM »

And now I'm actually trying to remember if I've ever attended an actual Opening Night - rather than being a part of one, being in the show...  Hmm...

???

*I know I've done a bunch of final previews, however - the current revival of Sweeney Todd being one of them.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 07:58:32 AM »

...I had originally written the play to be done at my old alma mater at UK,...
For the new members, he means the University of Kentucky, not the United Kingdom.  Although he loves both places.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 08:00:08 AM »

BK - Continued Broken Legs Vibes for your Opening Weekend!

*And Friday night audiences truly are always weird.  Enjoy tonight.  And even though he probably does not remember me, please pass on a greeting to Mr. Sherman from me.  Meeting him last summer at the opening night of What If? wasis a very special memory for me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 08:00:44 AM »

Well... Stuff to do, places to go, and two shows today...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 08:03:30 AM »

A CHORUS LINE was also a show that had memorable opening night reactions both times I did the show. The first time, the electricity in the audience was really palpable up on stage. Another of those shows that you feel so exhilirated once you've performed it each night.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 08:08:09 AM »

The only opening nite of note I've been to was for Ragtime at the late Shubert in LA.

Sorry, have to sign off...Fletcher just cut his ear.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2006, 08:09:53 AM »

Have to go take care of a few things now before noon.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2006, 08:26:28 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, waiting for the arrival of she of the Evil Eye.  It's supposed to be a rainy weekend and from the looks of it, it looks like it will be.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2006, 08:46:33 AM »

I remember the reviews for WHAT IF... being  generally very good to overwhelmingly excellent!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 08:47:47 AM »

DR DakotaCelt - I'm in Washington, DC, right now playing for a production of Damn Yankees at Arena Stage.

www.arenastage.org

Cool!!  Break a leg Jose!!

I have seen On Shiloh's hill at the Ford Theatre. It was wonderful musical but in a surreal considering the history of the theatre.

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2006, 08:49:46 AM »

Weird opening night:  I MD'd the premiere performance at Portland's swank Brunish Hall in the equally swank Center for the Performing Arts.  Anyway, it was three cabaret artists, including Susannah, whom I was MDing for (the two others had other people, damn them, damn them all to hell).  Anyway, they had asked me to play a little "seating" jazz, and Susannah and I had a funny "bit" about cell phones worked out (more about that in a mo).  So's, anyway, there I am playing some "cocktail piano" getting ready for our "bit", when one of the other singers pokes her head out from the wings and does one of those hilarious stage whispers that she thinks no one can hear, but of course everyone can.  It turns out her pianist had forgotten his music at the hotel and they needed me to "vamp" until he returned.  So of course I'm pulling tunes out of the vast recesses of my increasingly addled brain until I get the "OK" sign from them several minutes later.

Which brings us to the "cell phone bit."  Susannah thought it would be hilarious (as did I) if I set my cell phone on the piano during my "Seating Music," and she would then call me from her cell phone from the green room, interrupting my playing.  She would have her mic on, and would start "yakking" at me whilst I protested that I was trying to play, and we would get the "turn cell phones off" message delivered in a clever way.

Well, it was a brilliant idea save for one fatal error:

Susannah forgot to turn her mic on.

So, I'm playing, the phone rings, Susannah starts talking in my phone, but I can of course hear that her voice is not going out to the house.  So there I am, to kind of quote Comden & Green, "Talking to Myself," and trying, ever so subtly, to let Susannah know to turn on her friggin' mic.

The show went much better than the pre-show.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 08:50:53 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2006, 08:51:25 AM »

Most miserable opening night I ever had was for WEST SIDE STORY. The production design had Sharks and Jets moving stage pieces around as scenes changed, and these things had to be as choreographed as any of the dances we did, and the night before we opened, I was at the theater past 1 a.m. getting the choreography for my piece in my head. Before the show opened that night, we had a set choreography rehearsal for each scene, but that was the first time we ever got it right - right before we opened, and I was SO nervous the entire performance hoping we'd do it right. It went fine, but I couldn't enjoy performing in the show because of the worries over that set change movement.

I can understand that.... I have had a challenge with two others trying to teach two people sign language for Children of a Lesser God. Not an easy process especially when they actually have to use their faces and convey the message more through their bodies.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2006, 09:04:29 AM »

elmore, thanks for the lovelier than lovely flowers - everyone thought they were beautiful!  I got one other thing of flowers, but the card wasn't signed.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2006, 09:04:30 AM »

My favorite opening night was when my alma mater put on Cole Porter's Anything Goes....

It was in Dille Thrust Theater and the audience sat around the stage. Prior to the premiere they had significant problems with the audio and they ended up going to the twin Cities and getting loaner equipment from the Guthrie. Once the equipment was in place the chips fell into place.

As the audience came in and got settled they tropical sounds playing in the background and water lapping.

The other premiere was actually a highschool production that was not too bad and that was to Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance. It was done as part of a masters project for the University of North DAkota's Theatre Arts program. I was impressed with the male lead's ability to handle the complexities of the score for someone so young.

IT was a great show... I hated the movie version. That was cringe worthy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2006, 09:15:22 AM »

elmore, thanks for the lovelier than lovely flowers - everyone thought they were beautiful!  I got one other thing of flowers, but the card wasn't signed.

I can't believe they didn't include my card with those!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2006, 09:21:01 AM »

I will send you and your cast and crew continued broken leg vibes.....

Onward and upward

Break a leg!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2006, 09:21:16 AM »

Well, you deserved them!  I'm not only a friend but a fan, and I wish I could get out to see it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2006, 09:28:23 AM »

elmore, we must get you out here to see it and have a West Coast do.  Flights are VERY cheap now - and we'll find you a place to stay.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2006, 09:49:20 AM »

The most exciting opening night I was ever a part of was FOREVER PLAID. After the show, we were swamped by people who weren't familiar with it, didn't know exactly what it was they were going to see, and were enchanted by the whole enterprise. My entire PLAID experience is probably the most fulfilling and rewarding experience I've ever had on stage: comedy that always worked, hugely enthusiastic audience reaction to the music and moves, and sentiment of the piece.

That was how I felt, Matt H, when I first saw it. I didn't want to even go. Plaid? I only went because my friend and I had season tickets to the community theater.  Before the first song was over, I just KNEW DR Sandra would love it. So I bought another set of tickets and took her to see it.

By the way, we'd love to see your photos.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2006, 10:02:05 AM »

The very first play I ever directed was Miss Margarida's Way. A one woman show. It was very difficult for me to know if the audience would laugh or not at the right places. But I had a very good actress named Rona Frame and was able to play off the audience. Since the play took place in a classroom, we actually did it in a classroom. We allowed people to walk in if they were late and she would berate them for being there. The biggest laughed came from something that was a mistake on my part. There was a point where I had here put on a pig snout. At least when I bought it I thought it was a pig snout. It turn out to be a the top part of a male organ. I kept it in because it killed them every night after that.
Never stop dreaming.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2006, 11:44:19 AM »

I'm going to do my best to get down to LA to see "Deceit", most likely the last Friday night as I have a show between now and then.  If the school I work at on Fridays has that Friday off, then it will be easy, if it doesn't, it will be a challenge.  More later....

FJL

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2006, 11:55:31 AM »

Bruce - If the unsigned flowers were the FTD Happy Thoughts bouquet, that was from us.  

François de Paris

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2006, 12:05:58 PM »

The Trial of the Big Bad Wolf was special to me not only because the show was fabulous, but because it was a triumph for one girl in the cast.  I'd taken a chance in casting a girl who wasn't having the greatest year, academically, socially and at home, in a leading role.  It was a huge character role and she really struggled and was very unsure of herself.  She ROCKED the audience on the night of the performance.  I had teachers and staff coming up to me for weeks afterward saying they couldn't believe it was the same girl.  I can't think of an opening night better than that.

Your story's very edifying and moving!
Thank you for sharing it with us!

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »

I see that Shelley Winters passed away this morning at age 85 in Beverly Hills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up