Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HIMALAYAN YAK  (Read 19515 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:THE HIMALAYAN YAK
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 07:08:08 AM »

I love all the holiday pictures Tom and Ben... keep them coming!

We do Christmas Crackers every year.  This year we got our hands on a box of "Luxery Crackers' when WFO and his Joe came around for our Christmas week celebration.  They had nice gold foil crowns and nice prezzies like a silver (colored) necklace witha hanging heart pendant (which the Vixter received) and a silver pen (which WFO received) and key chains and screwdriver sets.

The jokes of course were still all awful  puns!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ben

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 07:08:45 AM »

As you might have guessed, I am finished with Jury Duty. I went on Tuesday morning (at 8:45am) and spent most of the day sitting in the waiting room. I went again yesterday at 9:30am and again spent most of the day waiting. At 3:30pm they told us we were done completely. Our obligation to serve had been completed. The only problem with that is, since the rules have changed for jury duty I'm now eligible again in two years. If we had all served just one more day we would have been out of the pool for six years. If you serve for 1 or 2 days you are eligible again in 2 years, if you serve 3 to 10 days you are eligible again in 6 years and if you are put on a trial that lasts 11 days or more you are eligible again in 8 years. This was the first time in all the years that I've been called that I did not serve on a trial.

I hope that DR Ginny and DH (Dear Husban) Richard are enjoying New York. Yesterday was an upleasant day weather-wise so it was better that I was in the Jury waiting room. I went out once for lunch and my umbrella broke. Ugh. It's cooler today but at least it's not raining.

Back to work for me.

Later, gaters.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »

And DR MattH are you sure Veronica Mars was a repeat?  Jan 18th was scheduled to be the starting date of the winter new episodes.

According to my local newspaper and TV GUIDE, it was a repeat. I didn't check the on-screen cable guide, but my UPN station repeats VERONICA on Saturday night at 10:30, so I can check that listing in the huide to make sure.

According to the description, this was the episode where Veronica investigated who was piling up debt on Jackie's credit card. But I will check later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 07:28:37 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful crisp January morning here, but it's warming up again and will be mid-60s tomorrow and Saturday. Supposed to get to the mid to high 50s today. What a warm winter we've had thus far!

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 07:29:29 AM »

DR Jrand, I ordered a used copy of ICE STATION ZEBRA last night. Got it for $6, so I am pleased.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006, 07:30:38 AM »

Another night of new episodes for the NBC comedies and also for CRUMBS, so I'll be watching/recording them. And I believe CSI is also new tonight (the 9 p.m. broadcast).

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2006, 07:33:30 AM »

I've been to a few zoos in my life: the LA Zoo and the Bronx Zoo were both pretty spectacular. NC has a nice zoo at Ashboro, but the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC, has it beat, I think. What a pleasure to walk around in! Beautifully laid out and quite pastoral there actually.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 07:35:30 AM »

I still haven't gotten around to SUPERNATURAL from Tuesday night yet, but should be able to fit that in this afternoon afrter I return from lunch with friends.

I also noticed in next week's TV GUIDE that the one SUPERNATURAL episode that I missed, set in a sanitarium, is being repeated next Tuesday night, so I'm hopeful I'll see it and fill in the blanks.

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 07:37:03 AM »

Thursday greetings from NYC!  This is a quick update, because I think someone is waiting for the computer.

Yesterday we spent more time out in the rain than I'd planned, walking to one of my favorite restaurants for lunch, La Bonne Soupe.  By the time we were finished the rain had stopped so we walked to Columbus Circle and slowly made our way to our friends' apartment just beyond Lincoln Center.  Had a lovely dinner with them.  One of our stops was Tower Records, where I bought the following:

New Guy in Town
The Last Starfighter
To Kill a Mockingbird soundtrack
Susan Egan's Coffee House

Today, we have a 1pm appointment to visit the recording studios of Recorded Books, Inc.  At 5:30, we're going to an Evensong service at a church we passed yesterday, and at 8pm we see The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

Too cold for the Zoo...

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 07:38:10 AM »

Mister, I've been to the zoo.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 07:54:09 AM »

Ginny said:

"one of my favorite restaurants for lunch, La Bonne Soupe"

Ginny, I love that place. All the soups are good and I like the atmosphere also. I'm suprised it's still around, a moderately priced pleasant place to eat in Midtown.

You'll enjoy Spelling Bee!

I love the Central Park Zoo, including the Children's Zoo (which is actually separate from the CP Zoo. I also enjoy the Bronx Zoo, the London Zoo, the Dublin Zoo and the Paris Zoo. DakotaCelt mentioned the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley. I haven't been there in years but it's a well-run facility and I like. There is also a small zoo in Saint Paul which is part of a larger park area. It's called the Como Park Zoo. I have fond memories of biking to that park/zoo when I lived in Saint Paul. The only zoo I did not like was in Jerusalem. It was a "biblical" zoo. We went in 1985. I don't know if the facility even exists any more. I hope not or if it does I hope it's being run by someone who cares about animals. It was a horrible place and we didn't stay long because you wanted to either rush the gates and let the animals escape or you wanted to find the jerk who operated the place and put him in one of the cages with the animals so he could see how it felt.

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »

The only zoos I have been to are the Bronx Zoo, The Central Park Zoo (for the first time ever and I had a loverlier than lovely time there with DR Danise this past October) the National Zoo in Washington DC and the Children's Zoo in Baltimore MD.  (both of which we visted when the Vixter was not quite 3)

I would probably say the Bronx Zoo is my favorite of all of those.  We really should go again, we haven't been there since the Vixter was about 4

When I was about 7 or 8 I went to the Lollipop Farm in Rochester NY which was more like a petting farm, with llamas and goats and sheep wandering around and children given packets of food and baby bottles to feed the animals.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2006, 08:19:50 AM »

Der B is the zoo fan in our house.  Every time he sees some exotic animal on the television, he suggests that we get a "______" door, along the lines of a doggy door.  This gets awkward when the animal in question is larger than the kitchen door itself.

We've taken the grandlads (and their parents) to the zoos in Philly and DC.  DC is an embarassment, not at all well thought out and grungy.  Philly is better.  Sorta.

I liked the zoo in Berlin, an interesting place.  Their area for the mountain goats was particularly good, a craggy expanse of nearly vertical rocks that gave the goats a good place to play.

San Diego is, of course, world class.

The Aquarium of the Pacific, in Long Beach, is a wonderful place, with playful sea lions, otters, and many exotic creatures of the deep.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 08:22:28 AM »

Does anyone remember who the guest star was on The Lucy Show, who tried to con Vivial and Lucy out of their life savings?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2006, 08:24:54 AM »

MattH... this may be of interest to you

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - They sang like angels for their audition on Tuesday's 'American Idol' premiere, but a pair of Memphis twins may sound more like jailbirds by the time the show goes live from Hollywood.

Terrell Brittenum, 28, has been in jail since Jan. 10 on an outstanding warrant for charges related to the illegal purchase of a car in Rockdale County, Ga., east of Atlanta.

He and his brother, Derrell, are accused of using another man's identity to buy a 2005 Dodge Magnum in June.

Derrel was expected to turn himself in on the same charges of forgery, theft by deception and financial identity fraud, The Commercial Appeal newspaper reported.

The brothers auditioned together in September for the hit TV show 'American Idol' and impressed the show's prickly judges to continue to the next round. Segments of the show have already been recorded and will air during the next few weeks.

Fox Broadcasting Co. refused to discuss the Brittenums or their status on the show.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 08:26:00 AM by Vixmom »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2006, 08:24:55 AM »

There isn't a chance of my catching up at this point.  Mommy has called, there's an emergency with day care where the caregivers are sick and throwing up, so we'll be off soon to take care of the grandlads.  Lucky for Mommy that I've got the day off.

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »

There isn't a chance of my catching up at this point.  Mommy has called, there's an emergency with day care where the caregivers are sick and throwing up, so we'll be off soon to take care of the grandlads.  Lucky for Mommy that I've got the day off.

Aren't the lads in school?

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2006, 08:28:12 AM »

It looks as if the weather has finally decided to give DR Ginny & Hubby a break.  It's a bit cold but at least the sun is shining

~~VIBES~~~

for an excellent day

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2006, 08:30:09 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~HEALTH VIBES~~~~[/move]fo RLP... I hope your cold has gone away

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2006, 08:31:17 AM »

Speaking of cold...

DR MBarnum  what is the latest on your furnace situation?

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2006, 08:36:23 AM »

Funny you should ask DR Vixmom...I have yet to hear from the guy who is to give me the cost estimates. I left a message this morning to have him call me (I was supposed to have the estimates by Tues or Wednesday)....I need that new furnace ASAP as I am most tired of being cold! I am one who likes to have the heat on in my home.

Besides, Freddy is not at all pleased with the no heat situation...and you don't want to make him angry.

Ben

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2006, 08:44:38 AM »

I forgot the National Zoo in DC. I love that place!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »

Besides, Freddy is not at all pleased with the no heat situation...and you don't want to make him angry.

Nothing worse than a petulant pussy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »

Yes, DR Vixmom, those were the twins I greatly enjoyed on Tuesday night. [sigh] People can be such fools!

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »

I didn't even watch AMERICAN IDOL last night nor will I likely watch the audition shows next week either. I'm just kind of over this aspect of the show.

Of course, the ratings on Tuesday night were the highest ever recorded for the show in an episode other than the finale of Clay-Reuben.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2006, 08:56:14 AM »

Boy I don't remember a specific episode of The Lucy Show where Viv and Lucy were being fleeced.  I think there was one where Sheldon Leonard was a shady guy at the bank....  Hmmmmmmmmmm
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2006, 08:56:59 AM »

Good price on ZEBRA, DRMATTH!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »

Going to get ready for lunch now. It's going to be a bit later than usual today, so I'm on a little later in the morning than usual on a lunch-out day.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »

And I hope DR Ron is feeling better today. Let us know how you are, DR Ron!

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »

Good price on ZEBRA, DRMATTH!

I know I was SO thrilled. Even a new copy on Amazaon was reasonably priced though ($10.99).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up