Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE END OF THE GLORIOUS WEEKEND  (Read 20404 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE END OF THE GLORIOUS WEEKEND
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2003, 10:04:27 AM »

BK, did you know that Ms. Laurie Mitchell is in LORD LOVE A DUCK? She has a teeny tiny role in it. I haven't seen that film since I was a child. Might have to check it out again!

Emily

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2003, 10:08:05 AM »

Good morning one and all!

DR Noel:

"Someone to Fall Back On" is a JRB song that he plays at the end of all of his concerts but which hasn't been recorded except on The Inaudible JRB.  If you get MSN (the program is free) I can send you an MP3 version of it.  Also, do you think you could name some of the hotels listed in that article you have?  I could then look them up on the web.

Hostel Question:

Has anyone ever stayed at a hostel in NY?  Can you recommend any good ones?  We would be especially interested in safety (for our persons and our belongings) and location (preferably near the theatre district)

Update on DR Andrea:

I may be cracking Andrea's "I don't want to go to NY" exterior with the promise that we will run around the city acting like characters from Sex and the City (but most likely without the sex and definitely without the cash) and the possibility of meeting Maya, Swishy and my bethrothed.  

Sundried foodstuffs:

I like raisins and craisins (dried cranberries) a lot

That is it for me, I have to go work on my last paper/look up cheap flights/bus/hotels for ny.  

Toodles all!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2003, 10:18:48 AM »

Good morning.  I think I'll take a walk now, and then come back and read some more posts, and then watch a DVD.  Last lazy day before three intense weeks of work, including one Saturday.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2003, 10:27:09 AM »

I've now found that aricle, entitled Lullaby Off Broadway, on line, at the MCall.com website.  I'm no good at posting links, but here's a try:

http://www.mcall.com/features/all-nychotelsnov30,0,2657250.story?coll=all-features-sunoutdoor-hed

As I said, it recommended Our Wedding hotels, the Beacon and the Newton.  It also liked Amsterdam Inn, but not every hotel it mentions is recommended.  That's what makes it a funny article.

The main point of the article is that you DO NOT want to be staying in Times Square.  That area is the noisiest, crowded with tourists who move like cows 24/7.  Yes, your Broadway theatres are there, but, I promise you, stay a mile away and you'll be a whole lot happier.

As a life-long New Yorker, I do my best to avoid Times Square at all costs.  It just ain't New York to me, and it certainly ain't pleasant.

I don't have MSN or any particular appreciation of J. R. Brown, so New York politely declines your offer.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2003, 10:44:04 AM »

I'm probably more generous than DR Noel, but I'd cut Irving Berlin some slack with Ocarina. After all, Wilhelmina is a pretty popular name in Lichtenburg. (And at least she's mentioned elsewhere in the song, which is meant to be goofy.)

But here's a question for DRs. Also in Call Me Madam is the lyric "mustn't leave her panties in the hall."  Name other Irving Berlin shows that have songs featuring panties. I don't have the definitive answer, but a friend tells me there a surprising number of them.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2003, 10:52:23 AM »

I don't see a THIS IS YOUR LIFE with Ralph Edwards listed at DD-DVD, but that's okay....  I guess I can find something else!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2003, 11:06:22 AM »

NY hotels - Having only been to NYC once, I don't really have much to say on this, but I can say that I stayed at the Portland Square (on 47th between 6th and 7th).  It was fairly inexpensive (especially for Times Square) and remarkably quiet.  Those must be some thick walls they've got, because I'd never have guessed I was in NYC at all, let alone 1/2 block off Broadway, so quiet was the room.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2003, 11:11:27 AM »

DR MBarnum - it's too bad they didn't save Jerre Turner's blue cashmere shortie when the hurricane sank the ship!  She has been complaining about it ever since!

I ordered 1950's Greatest Comedies, Scrooge WS Edition, Once Upon a Time in the West, Bride of the Gorilla, Singin' In the Rain @ DVD Edition!     All for less than $60!

I love internet shopping!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2003, 11:17:24 AM »

--

you have the option of going to DuPar's and finding superb examples.......and here in the desert wasteland we are lucky enough to have 2 locations of the wonderful Chicago-based "Original Pancake House."  It is of a quality like DuPar's....everything made with real ingredients, and no skimping.  The lightest thing you can find in there is half-and-half, because the batters for the pancakes are made with cream.

.     8)

No one makes boysenberry syrup like Du Pars, however, I will take the Original House of Pancakes any day.  They also have great hot chocolate.  What do you usually order there?  My favorite is the Big Apple.  It really must be shared unless you have some one who can roll you out of there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2003, 11:18:31 AM »

Ah - hah - I was finally able to get my profile picture changed!  It was not a technical problem - it was operator error of course!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2003, 11:20:28 AM »

No one makes boysenberry syrup like Du Pars, however, I will take the Original House of Pancakes any day.  They also have great hot chocolate.  What do you usually order there?  My favorite is the Big Apple.  It really must be shared unless you have some one who can roll you out of there.

But do they have...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Whipped cream???[/move]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2003, 11:23:46 AM »

Oh yes Jay, they have delicious whipped cream.  Bruce could feast to his heart's content. ;D

Danise

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2003, 11:49:26 AM »

Good afternoon all!    I could get used to staying up all night and sleeping all day.  Guess it's the "vampire" in me.  A few days off and it doesn't take much for that side of me to come out.  It makes it all the harder to go back to work.  My days and nights are all mixed up but then I have another seven days off to look forward to.  Not that I’m rubbing it in.  Much.  

One thing about being off from work for so long, I’m worried about my fish. He has a fish feeder and one of the ladies promised to watch him for me so he should be ok.  Still, I worry.  He’s over 2 ½ years old and I’m told Bettas or Betas (I’ve seen it spelled both ways) only live about 3 years.  I’m attaching a photo I took of him the other day.  

He’s showing is boo-boo face.  When he’s mad, he puffs all up.  I never really did get around to a name for him.  Well, maybe Fish Butt.  Everyone thinks it so funny that when we have a fire drill, I have a little cup with a lid that I scoop him into and take him with me.  I wouldn’t leave him behind if it was for real.

I'm sorry if I offended you, Jennifer but I do think the blow ups are tacky.  We just had news story about one being stolen last night.

It has long been a dream of mine to make my Christmas yard display a Christmas for the animals.  A big tree with apples, pomegranates, sea shells, strings of cranberries, popcorn, fire flies for lights, etc all over it and then the animals–all kinds, wild and tame--gathered around it.  I think that would be different from the ususal stuff you see.  

The Exorcist.  Spookie movies never bothered me one way or the other.  Most of them are pretty dumb.  If the movie has a monster, you know it’s gonna die by the end, only to come back in time for sequel.

Have good rest of the day all.  I can be at chat for as long as I want tonight. Talk to you then.

D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 11:49:52 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2003, 12:00:06 PM »

Walked over to our local farmer's market and was a bad boy.  I had to have a bacon-wrapped hot dog - it was just staring at me and smelled so yummiliscious that I could not resist.  It was, in fact, extremely yummiliscious.  

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2003, 12:02:23 PM »

I'm with Dan-in-Toronto about cutting Berlin some slack.

I've heard FAR WORSE by others to engage in a thread singling out only one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2003, 12:06:05 PM »

Well, it's more fun to talk about great Berlin songs.  So, let's take down the Berlin wall and discuss the best of Berlin.  First off, anyone who wrote the score to Annie Get Your Gun and nothing else would automatically be in the pantheon of great songwriters.  But he's written so many other great songs.  And fully 3/4s of the songs I found in his trunk and that I recorded on Unsung Irving Berlin were gems, real bonafide gems.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2003, 12:06:16 PM »

A good, clean, inexpensive NY hotel (at least it used to be inexpensive) is The Pensylvania across from Penn Station at 7th Avenue and 32nd Street.  The phone number is the same as the song written about it (which is also used as their "Music on Hold" - Pennsylvania 6-5000.  

We saw "Anything But Love" last night.  I urge readers of this here site to run and see it before it totally disappears.  It opened in five or six theatres, was down to 2 the second week and is now at only one the third.  It is not the kind of film that today's average moviegoer will like.  It's a musical, but unlike "Chicago" it is not full of sex, violence and big stars to draw the new milleiuum moviegoer.  It's actually an homage to classic musicals and is completely entertaining.  I have only two minor complaints - Eartha Kitt did almost nothing despite third billing; and Alex Korey in a musical where she doesn't get to sing one note?  What were they thinking?  Othrwise it's a delight from start to finish.

And Jose S, when the leading character goes to an audition and tries to explain her music to a bored piano player who totally screws it up, I wondered if you had seen this yet.  You've probably played (without  screwing up) for hundreds of singers like this at auditions.

If you read this site you will love this film.  Don't miss it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2003, 12:06:40 PM »

Re Berlin's "Always":
He lost his first wife after she became ill on their honeymoon. He wrote a song called "When I Lost You" or something like that.

He met a woman years later and they wanted to marry, but her father didn't like Berlin. The father took the daughter on a world trip so she would forget about Berlin. This was when he wrote "What'll I Do?" After her return from the trip, they eloped and were married for many many many years. He wrote "Always" for this second wife and gave her the royalties as a wedding gift.

This is the story I read when I was taking a music class and sang these songs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 12:08:18 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2003, 12:12:25 PM »

WEL: But does Anything but Love have original songs or does it use standards or existing songs?  No one I've asked seems to be able to answer this simple question.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2003, 12:13:09 PM »

I'm sorry if I offended you, Jennifer but I do think the blow ups are tacky.  We just had news story about one being stolen last night.

It has long been a dream of mine to make my Christmas yard display a Christmas for the animals.  A big tree with apples, pomegranates, sea shells, strings of cranberries, popcorn, fire flies for lights, etc all over it and then the animals–all kinds, wild and tame--gathered around it.  I think that would be different from the ususal stuff you see.  

I think tacky displays are wonderful IF they are done to excess.  One or two tacky items on a lawn, porch or roof are simply in bad taste.  Dozens of same are a paean to gaudiness and should be celebrated and photographed and shared.

Now, Danise, I don't want to interfere with your dream about a Christmas for animals, but I'm not quite sure how you're going to manage lighting that tree with fireflies unless you inflict some damage to them by stringing them together with needle and thread.

If not that, how do you plan to get them to hover around the tree?  Perhaps with double-stick tape?

;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 12:18:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2003, 12:22:17 PM »

re: Berlin...

I have to say that one of my faves is "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" which was originally in "This Time It's Love" and then in White Christmas.

Speaking of White Christmas, there are some wonderful songs in the film that I adore. Sisters, Count Your Blessings, Choreography, Love you didn't do right by me, What can you do with a General, etc...

Last night I was treated to one of my guilty pleasures on TV - Xanadu.  While the movie is clearly cheese, it was nice to notice that even tho this movie came out in the 80s, the director did not utilize MTV style editing for most of the film. In fact, Olivia Newton John sings an 11 o'clock number directly into the camera as if she were on stage alone. Not "exciting" - but a refreshing change to just WATCH a performer sing a song to the "audience" that way on film....

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2003, 12:22:27 PM »

WEL: But does Anything but Love have original songs or does it use standards or existing songs?  No one I've asked seems to be able to answer this simple question.

It's my understanding that it's mostly existing standards, but there's also new material by our friend Steve Lutvak.

Other than the previously quoted Hostess with the Mostes', here's the only other panty reference I can think of in the lyrics of Irving Berlin:

You don't have to come from a great big town
Not to clean out a stable in an evening gown
You don't have to mix with the Vanderbilts
Not to take off your panties when you're wearing kilts
That comes natur'lly
That comes natur'lly

I forget what song I wanted them in, but I was informed that "panties" is a word never used by women themselves to refer to their unmentionables.  But I did put it into a song in which a chorus line of college boys was welcoming the first co-eds:

They're rosy; they're peachy
They understand Neitzsche
Those beautiful brainy girls

They write well; they work hard
They talk about Kierk'gaard
Those beautiful brainy girls...

They know their Cervantes
Although they wear panties
Those beautiful brainy girls!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2003, 12:25:08 PM »

I haz just returned from work, where there were a million more people than last night, thank the LORD.

RE- The Tacky Decorations: I have a neighbor that we like to call Mr. Griswold (Nat'l Lampoons XMAS Vacation...). Every year, he decorates his ENTIRE house, inside and out, with decorations. He lines his entire house with the large-multi-colored bulbs, he has the cheesy decals on the lawn, and he has electronic decorations such as the blow-up snowmen and waving Santas on the roof. He puts these up Thanksgiving day, and that night, all of the neighbors go outside to see him light them for the first time. If people have leftover decorations or lights, they give them to him to use, and he ALWAYS uses them. I can only imagine what his electric bill is.

The Exorcist: During the scenes where she was going crazy, I really did like this film. What she was DOING was kind of disturbing, and there WERE times when I jumped. But overall, the movie was kind of boring to me. Too much dialouge and weird scenes, and not enough frightening things.

Random: I went to Red Robin for dinner last night. All of the bathroom appliances were from a company called SWISHY SUPPLIES. I loved it :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2003, 12:28:46 PM »

I agree with Dear Reader WEL that Anything But Love is a darling little film that, unfortunately, is likely to disappear from theatres at any moment.

And Dear Reader Noel has it correct:  the score is mostly standards, with a dash of new music thrown in.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2003, 12:34:09 PM »

It's a cold, grey, rainy day here in Oakland CA!

It's hard to believe it's the last day of a four-day weekend.  Whatever happened to the first three days????

I'm about to fire up the old fireplace and settle in to do some things I always do this time of year.  Hopefully, it will be a relaxing day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2003, 12:34:26 PM »

The Exorcist was never one of those jump in your seat movies.  It's disturbing and horrifying and scary in the get-under-your-skin way.  And all movies should be looked at in context of when they were made.  The Exorcist pushed so many envelopes so far, I don't know if there's anything that's been done since that's worse.  I'm not talking about gorier, or jump in your seat time.  The other thing is that it's been ripped off so many times by so many lesser films that of course it doesn't have quite the impact it had then.  Lots of young kids who see Psycho today just shrug their shoulders because they've been so numbed by the gore-fests of today.  I remember having to sit through The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I was actually forced to see it by the head of production at Paramount) and thinking it was the most gruesome movie ever made.  See it today.  It's sleazy, but the grue is minor by today's standards.  But, in context, again there had never been anything like it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2003, 12:41:55 PM »

Thank you Mr Brockman Snr. Colin and I did indeed watch much of the Davis Cup final. We are not really fans of Mr Philapousas (depite that he is from Melbourne) but admire the skills of Leyton who has grown up considerably.(a shame to be remembered for comments that were made as a 17 year old!) Pat Rafter was a hard act to follow. The Doubles playing was wonderful by Mr Woodbridge and Mr Arthurs.

Thanks DR Laura for the "Berlin" information. I like the song  "Always" even by Willie Nelson and especially by Patsy Cline. It is a "standard" because it is GOOD and loved. That all songwriteres could write such a standard! There are probably people who don't care for "All The Things You Are" and "Send In The Clowns".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2003, 12:45:28 PM »

DR Jay, and others who asked about Alma Mahler --

I'm not able to tell you the title, but I could swear that DR Kerry went to a play about 4 or 5 weeks ago, and the subject was Alma Mahler, and all of her various lovers and husbands.  He is at work at the moment, and possesses the only operating brain cells in this family.

Maybe he can post about it later.  In the meantime ....... I just can't resist * * * *

"Hail to thee, dear Alma Mahler......"

:P

MusicGuy

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2003, 12:50:20 PM »

DR Jay --

By the way, listen carefully during the Mahler, and tell me if you can hear an organ part in it.  If so, my concert manager (who is also the rep for the Allen Organ Co.) installed it at the new Disney Hall.  The pipe organ won't be finished until well into next year.

Also, are you interested in going to the Christmas concert at San Sylmar on Friday, Dec. 12th?   If so, let me know......I know the guy playing.   ;)

MusicGuy

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2003, 12:54:20 PM »

DR Jane --

Yes, I have shared the "Apple pancake" once at Original Pancake House.......it is a daunting experience, but really delectable.  Most of the time I really like their version of Swedish pancakes.  They are huge, as thin as paper, get cold quickly, but are so damned good with their Lingonberry sauce AND maple syrup on them.  And of course, a side order of their top quality bacon.

Kerry usually opts for the French Toast, and a side of bacon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up