Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A LITTLE BEHIND  (Read 24482 times)

Ben

Re:A LITTLE BEHIND
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 07:49:18 AM »

Ginny, yes we did stop in at John Leidy. What a great place. We also went to a used book and record emporium (the name escapes me at the moment, I just know that it was downtown a few blocks walk from my friend's house, he lived on Liberty Street). It was there that I purchased the final record to complete my collection of the Chad Mitchell and Mitchell Trio. Oh, what a happy day that was.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:55:28 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2006, 07:49:56 AM »

I liked LATTER DAYS very much, too. Have you seen BIG EDEN? I found it a charming "fantasy."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 07:50:54 AM »

So glad to see that Fox is not rolling over and playing dead for the Olympics. '24' has a new episode tonight. CBS is going with reruns tonight except for the new COURTING ALEX.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 07:52:56 AM »

We LOVE Big Eden and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:54:41 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2006, 08:01:45 AM »

I must say, I'm so proud of Vice-President Cheney for upholding the standards of the NRA; I so disagree with the Constitution's giving me the right to bear arms.  I'd rather it guaranteed a woman's choice to an abortion.  End of political rant.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2006, 08:14:31 AM »

Mawnin'!

I have such a sore throat and a burning chest, and the expected sinus headache... all very good things, when you consider that I'm doing a piece from Crazy Ol' Queen Margaret's Curse today at noon. Not to mention the dark purple bags under me eyes... wow, that lady can do the part without makeup! Off to the shower, then into Seattle. I'm actually looking forward to this audition. (focus on the goal, not on the obstacles...)
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »

Have a lovely snow day, Noo Yawkers!
PennyO

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006, 08:16:58 AM »

I must say, I'm so proud of Vice-President Cheney for upholding the standards of the NRA; I so disagree with the Constitution's giving me the right to bear arms.  I'd rather it guaranteed a woman's choice to an abortion.  End of political rant.

The first thing that came to mind when I heard about this was Spike Jones' version of "Dance Of The Flowers".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006, 08:17:54 AM »

Thirty-three confirmed "auditors" today for the auditions. Me, cancel? Sheesh, I feel awful - that should only improve my performance!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006, 08:19:10 AM »

When quail hunting, stand AWAY from the business end of yer pal's firearm!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2006, 08:19:49 AM »

Two more, and I'm at 700 posts...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2006, 08:20:27 AM »

Okay - so now I'll hit the shower!! Back later, kidz.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »

Heading down to take a shower and clean up for lunch out with friends.

WBBL.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2006, 08:37:52 AM »

Not really a palace, but the movie theater of my childhood, right on the town square, and still kicking, the Crown Theater of Crown Point, Ind.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2006, 08:41:54 AM »

I have no idea if this is true or not but a friend sent me this and its good for a laugh, a forehead slap and an eyeroll!!

Time once again to review the winners of the Annual "Stella Awards." The Stella  Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella  Luebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's.  That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States .

Here are this year's winners:

5th Place (tie):
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the     misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

5th Place (tie):
19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000. and medical expenses when  his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr.Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his  neighbor's hubcaps.

5th Place (tie):
Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the  house and  garage locked when he pulled it
shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr.Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000. In my opinion this is so outrageous that it should have been 2nd Place!

4th Place:
Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500. and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time, by Mr. Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly
with a pellet gun.

3rd Place :
A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of  Lancaster, Pennsylvania,  $113,500. after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd Place : Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a  night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms.Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She
was awarded $12,000. and dental expenses.

1st Place :
This year's runaway winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  Mrs. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, (from a football game), having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise
control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back & make herself a sandwich.  Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned.  Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising her in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded her  $1,750,000.00 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there
were any other complete morons around.[/size]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2006, 08:51:33 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, sleep.  -Guess I'll head over to Lestat-land after the lunch break.

in the meantime, I'm having my oatmeal - I cooked up a pot of the Irish Steel Cut stuff - should last me the week.  -And I added some dried cranberries and cashews.  Oh, and some green tea too.

-Just watching "Martha" and reading the posts...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2006, 09:00:48 AM »

Let me put this thing on cruise control....and then I will go back and post....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006, 09:01:28 AM »

Okay....such great snow pics....loved them all....and .... what the ^^%$$#....................... !!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2006, 09:01:52 AM »

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2006, 09:02:42 AM »

Audition vibes to DR PENNYO.....

First day vibes to DR JED....

Countdown to operation vibes to DR DANISE....with added vibes for her Mom and Bear.

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2006, 09:03:12 AM »

The problem isn't so much the original right to bear arms, the problem is the way its been interpreted over the years.  When the right to bear arms was allowed, people hunted for food for sustenance, there were wild animals living in the lands that were being settled, there were displaced native americans who might show their displeasure at being so dispossessed who might attack the homesteader,there was a British government who had not yet entirely reconciled itself to the idea of American Independence.  The founding fathers never envisioned grocery stores, police departments and idiots collecting hundreds of UZI's.  I think all Americans should have the right to own a powder firing musket!

Of course fat old rich men shooting birds and animals for "sport" has been an accepted practice for centuries, but then watching men kill each other in the gladiatorial ring was an accepted "sport" for centuries as well... perhaps its time that all such bloodsports were lumped into the same catergory "barbarianism".  

And now I will relinquish my claim to the soapbox.....

Next?

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »

Okay....such great snow pics....loved them all....and .... what the ^^%$$#....................... !!!!!

JACK!!!!! Eyes on the road!!! Hands on the wheel!!!

(on the other hand if you need a lawyer....) :D

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2006, 09:05:46 AM »

~~~~BREAK A LEG~~~~ PennyO!

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2006, 09:06:11 AM »

~~~GREAT FIRST DAY O' WORK~~~~~ Vibes to DRJed
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:06:31 AM by Vixmom »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 09:06:48 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

We were a drive-in family growing up, or we went to the movies on the Army base (Ft. Myer).

The first movie palaces I remember are the Carpenter Center and The Byrd Theatre in Richmond, VA - and I was in college by then.  The Carpenter Center mainly hosted touring shows and orchestral concerts, but The Byrd has hung on and continues to run movies - in second run - and they still warm up the theatre organ on the weekends.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2006, 09:06:55 AM »

DR RODZINSKI pretty much as COUNT THREE AND PRAY pegged, and that is a moment with Ray and Ally.....the look on her face as the buggy pulls away is priceless.....  And of course she does have a couple of cherce lines:

Ray:  'Course things are all different now, aren't they, Miss Ducrais.  What do you say to that?
Ally: I'd say it was downright unpleasant.

Ally:  And you living here with that hill trash, how do you think that made me feel?

And of course best of all, to the bishop:  And have you told the bishop about the young girl you've been living with?

Joanne (not as subtle as Debbie Reynolds) has some corkers:

I got six brothers, ever one of 'em mean bad!

What I don't understand is, if I been livin' in sin, how's come I don't know about it?

Ya wanted ta be rid ov me, well now ur rid!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2006, 09:08:56 AM »

MR BK there is a site called at www.newspaperarchive.org that DR JMK and I use.  It is a pay site, and my membership has lapsed since I retired....but you can access full issues of many newspapers....there are a couple of LA papers and the NYC papers available.

You can search by subject or date, and once you get a certain issue of a newspaper, you can look at all of the pages.

Costs about $80 a year or so, but might be worth it for your research.  That is where I found the ad for the VALLEY OF THE DOLLS lp many years ago...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »

The Ritz Theatre in Mooresville, where I first saw (on re-release)....Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.....

Now it is the office of the local newspaper.

And of course the CenterBrook drive in...where we saw many Disney films.

The best part about the Ritz was the lobby - of course you bought your tickets at a small booth outside - they had a big glass case with CANDY and the smell of popcorn was always tempting....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:48 AM »

Well... I'm off to brave the wiles (?) of the Big City...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:55 AM »

Yes, we went to our share of drive-ins during our formative years, but I never could enjoy the movie. (Yes, I went for the movie!) Always a lot of commotion around the car, the sound was fairly lousy out of those squawky boxes, and the car just wasn't generally as comfortable as a seat in a theater, even if your feet did stick to the floor in a sit-down theater.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up