Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DUMBFOUNDED  (Read 26844 times)

Cillaliz

Re:DUMBFOUNDED
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2006, 06:15:36 PM »

And am I the only one who thinks Johnny Weir is a pretentious and catty little twerp?

He is, but he's our pretentious and catty little twerp.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

Good Evening!

Hmm... The internet connection here seems to be quite wonky right now... So, if I come and go, and it's because I'm coming and going.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2006, 06:19:17 PM »

Olympics Huge Guffaw Moment:  During the men's short program, Sandra Bezic, whom I was beginning to revile, totally blew me away with a comment about one of the skater's (a French skater) program:

"His choreography is trite."

LOVED it!  Great comment.  Needs to be said more...especially when it pertains to Ms. Slutskaya's choreography!

Johnny Weir:  I think he's y-o-u-n-g, immensely talented and, finally -- for the first time in his life -- able to "thumb it" back at the folks who have tormented him most of his life.  You folks know what I mean -- the folks who called him "Johnny Queer" and "Weir as in Queer" and so on and so forth.  To have endured all that while applying himself to his skating AND succeeding in spite of it DEMANDS my respect.

Based on some things he's said, I'm certain there are those in the U.S. Figure Skating establishment who have "encouraged" him to butch it up a bit more and to say a lot less.

Well, sorry....but Johnny's not gonna....and I'm truly shocked he finds criticism here, given what he has obviously put up with his entire life.  

It's the young who are making the great sociological strides today...the ones who break down the barriers and challenge the old faux conventions.

Weir strikes me as being a breath of fresh air and a much-needed slap in the face of 1950s values.

I do think he's pretentious and catty, but I didn't say he doesn't have a right to be that way

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »

Where The Truth Lies had a very perfunctory release, as if they were trying to sneak it in without letting anyone know about it.  The handful of reviews I've seen were all negative.  But, why film the book at all if you have no faith in it?  I mean, they bought the rights, shot the film, spent the money, and then the release is like an afterthought.  Of course, how anyone gives Atom Egoyan money to make films is anyone's guess.  The man has never made a film that didn't lose money.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »

Dear BK:

What is the date of the musical for the class you are teaching?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2006, 06:28:51 PM »

Was this ever released into the theaters?  I don't ever remember seeing anything on it, other than it got an NC-17.  According to Amazon.com's Editorial Review:

Director Atom Egoyan's 2005 film Where the Truth Lies is laden with nudity, sex, violence, lies, blackmail, betrayal… and really, what more could you want? Other than some genuine tension, a more compelling story, and better acting, that is. In adapting Rupert Holmes' novel, the Cairo-born Egoyan ... has taken on a murder mystery with film noir elements that will leave many viewers wondering exactly "whodunit" until the final few scenes; and while that's surely a good thing, the ride itself simply isn't all that scintillating.

:o

It had a limited release but never got to too many theaters. I'm looking forward to seeing it
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 06:29:22 PM by Cillaliz »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2006, 06:29:30 PM »

I had a basil gimlet in Portland, Oregon once

Hmm... Sounds interesting... And potentially tasty...

I'm partial to ginger and blood orange ones.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2006, 06:32:46 PM »

You are kidding...................... I hope!

No, actually I'm not and it was quite good. A gimlet with fresh basil crushed in it

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2006, 06:35:10 PM »

I can't remember the name of the bar that served it. It was a funky little place near the hotel that DR Jane and DH Keith were staying...which I can't remember the name of either!  LOL..hormones.....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2006, 06:36:19 PM »

I do think he's pretentious and catty, but I didn't say he doesn't have a right to be that way

Ummm....is there some reason you think I may have done so?  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »

DR Ron, I posted this before I read the whole discussion.  I do understand your point

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2006, 06:37:24 PM »

Ummm....is there some reason you think I may have done so?  

No, it was just an expression

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2006, 06:37:56 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - You asked about a weeping meringue... Well...  The "symptoms" you describe make it sound like you're not beating the egg whites enough.  Are you using a stabilizer with the white?  -Cream or tartar or a small amount of white vinegar?

Conversely, you could also be beating the egg whites too much before you add the sugar.

However, it does seem like you may be just slightly under-beating the meringue.  Thankfully, when you add sugar to beaten egg whites, they become a bit more forgiving than plain whipped egg whites.  It's very hard to overbeat a sweetened meringue.  Just keep beating until you achieve stiff peaks - however, the "tips" can slightly droop.

As for the pulling away from the edges.... Hmm... Now that sounds like you might be baking it a bit too long and/or at too low a heat causing the whites to set up too much and shrink.  Just make sure to spread the meringue to the edge of the pie plate.

I'll check out some other possibilities...
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2006, 06:41:44 PM »

Thanks. I haven't made a meringue pie in a long time -- I just remember that's how they turned out sometimes. I was thinking of making a lemon pie.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2006, 06:47:41 PM »

DR elmore asked the other day - "Where is Liz Larsen?"

Well, yesterday, she was sitting in the lobby of 820 Broadway. ;)

I actually meant to ask her what happened to her role on "Law & Order".  I wonder if her absence happened to coincide with the birth of her second son or her Hairspray commitment.  Or if it was just one of those showbiz things.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2006, 06:50:04 PM »

Sorry, Ron, but I don't think you can have "spoilers" at the Olympics.  At least not as long as every non-NBC-affiliated radio and television station is gleefully proclaiming the winners' names eight to twelve hours in advance.

I was under the impression that American Idol qualified as a reality show, not a sports or news program.  Sorry, if my comment was considered out of line.

DR TCB I could not tell if you were serious or joking.  But I do think we should give spoiler warnings when talking about the olympics same day. Since most people are watching it at night. I don't think we should spoil anything.

Re: american idol.  What i said didn't really give anything away, since you would understand what i wrote if you hadn't seen the show.  But I think if you are going to give spoilers for a show you know people here watch, then just give the name of the show and a bit of space for them to avoid reading the plot.

Btw, congrats to DR ann.

DR MattH, is Veronica Mars a repeat? My sis said she heard last minute it was going to be a repeat.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 06:52:13 PM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »

DR Ann - Great News!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2006, 07:02:54 PM »

Love Liz and Sal, two of my favorite peoples.

Laura, not sure of the date, but most likely sometime in May.

Despite my occasional uneasy relationship with the Internet, here is one reason I love it:  As you know, I spent many hours on that Cinema Treasures site, looking at all my childhood movie theaters.  I made posts in the comment section of each and every one of them.  

One theater, called the Del Mar, I posted that I worked there (my first job) as an usher in, I believe, 1964 (whatever year Viva Las Vegas and From Russia With Love came out).  I shared some memories.  Anyway, in my profile on the site I left an IM name and my e-mail address.

So, I just get an IM - from the man who currently owns the Del Mar!  How funny is that?  We just had a nice chat on the phone and I'll be having lunch with him next week and he's going to show me the theater, which has sadly been completely gutted.  He runs a post-production sound house there.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2006, 07:03:46 PM »

DR TCB I could not tell if you were serious or joking.  But I do think we should give spoiler warnings when talking about the olympics same day. Since most people are watching it at night. I don't think we should spoil anything.

Re: american idol.  What i said didn't really give anything away, since you would understand what i wrote if you hadn't seen the show.  But I think if you are going to give spoilers for a show you know people here watch, then just give the name of the show and a bit of space for them to avoid reading the plot.

Btw, congrats to DR ann.

DR MattH, is Veronica Mars a repeat? My sis said she heard last minute it was going to be a repeat.

Oh, okay, I guess I missed the space after American Idol.

??? ??? ???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

No, it was just an expression

Awwww...otay!

:-*
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2006, 07:11:35 PM »

From CP:
Jane, we didn't buy candy, but the two little boys across the street, Trevor and his younger brother, Nicholas, have become devotees of The Lovely Wife.  On the door  this morning was a bag with two small valentine heart boxes of candy from her young beaus.  We gobbled one up tonight while we watched ELIZABETHTOWN, which is a lovely film and I am at a loss as to why it got only lukewarm reviews.  We loved it!

That is so sweet. :)  

I just added ELIZABETHTOWN to our NetFlix queue.

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2006, 07:13:17 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »

From CP:That is so sweet. :)  

I just added ELIZABETHTOWN to our NetFlix queue.

That reminds me, I decided last night to go back to Netflix and just to one at a time to start. Think I'll add ELIZABETHTOWN, too

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2006, 07:16:24 PM »

DR elmore asked the other day - "Where is Liz Larsen?"

Hello, DRJose!  We ended up going to Popover's for dinner.

My comment about Liz was because I had just seen a CLOSER with my friend Conan, a LAW & ORDER with my friend Billy, and I wondered where my friend Liz was!  She was on a lot for a while.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2006, 07:16:42 PM »

He is, but he's our pretentious and catty little twerp.  

Not mine!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »

Oh, okay, I guess I missed the space after American Idol.

??? ??? ???
The only spoilers on AMERICAN IDOL are the judges and the talent.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2006, 07:18:23 PM »

Congrats on the new job Ann!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2006, 07:18:40 PM »

Good surgery vibes to Danise!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2006, 07:18:57 PM »

I am exhausted!! To bed for me!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 07:19:34 PM by TPunk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2006, 07:19:19 PM »

As for my day... It was quite a good one.

I spent a little bit of time over the offices of the Manhattan Theatre Club where the La Jolla Playhouse was having auditions for their upcoming production of Lucy Simon's Dr. Zhivago.  They did a workshop last summer, and it's being given a fully-mounted presentation in a few months.

It was very cool walking into that room.  I was not the accompanist for the auditions, but someone had asked me to play for theirs, so...  I didn't know who the music director for the show was and it turned out to be Eric Stern.  The last time I had run into Eric Stern was during the Sondheim Celebration - he was the MD for Merrily.  -And that was over three years ago at this point.  When I walked into the room and saw him at the table... "Oh, good to see you again."  -That made my day.

*The one "funny" thing was that I noticed that everyone in the room - and I mean EVERYone - was wearing black.  And there I was at the piano in my blue jeans and plaid button down shirt.  Guess I should have called in advance.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up