Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ONLY HIS HAIRDRESSER KNOWS FOR SURE  (Read 26631 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:ONLY HIS HAIRDRESSER KNOWS FOR SURE
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2006, 10:30:27 AM »

And now...

Page Three!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2006, 10:33:20 AM »

DR Jose, where are you now?  Still in Manhattan?  

Did you find the OPERA NEWS interview with Mr Panaro?  

All right.  I have work!  Toodles.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 10:33:25 AM »

Ignoble Eggleston was Belle Poitrine's sleezy brother-in-law.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2006, 10:33:43 AM »

Everybody dance now....

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2006, 10:35:33 AM »

DR Jose, where are you now?  Still in Manhattan?  

Did you find the OPERA NEWS interview with Mr Panaro?  

All right.  I have work!  Toodles.

I'm currently in Fairfax, VA.  Drove down last night.  I'll be back Tuesday.  In the meantime, I may be making an excursion down to Richmond.

I still have yet to find and Opera News.  I'm going by a Border's later today, so...

Have fun at work and the movies.  Toodles to you too.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2006, 10:47:01 AM »

What Steve Martin needs to do is stop associating with Eugene Levy.  Levy has appeared with Martin in both Father of the Bride films, Cheaper By the Dozen 2, and Bringing Down the House.

And he's got to stop making films just for the money.  The original Cheaper netted him over ten million - a definite contradiction of the title.

The good news is that a film version of Picasso at the Lapin Agile is in the works.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2006, 10:54:30 AM »

Restate the Golden Boy question and I'll answer it.
Matt asked:  

A GOLDEN BOY question:

"I never got the original Sammy Davis Jr. version with his strained vocals. My LP (and of course the CD) contains his redone recordings on four numbers.

Is his voice really raw and unlistenable on the original cuts? I can hear some of the raspiness in some group numbers that are still on the released CD version (and on the LP I still have), but were his solos really THAT bad or did the rawness give some depth to his character rather than being that of a crooner trying to play a serious role?"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2006, 10:56:27 AM »

Good morning (yes, it's still morning in California).

Slept extremely well, even though it dipped into the low 30s overnight (and is supposed to get into the upper 20s tonight).  

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

It hasn't been this cold here since I've lived here (12-plus years).

The mattress warmer is h-e-a-v-e-n!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »

Am having a modicum of fun with my new toy.

It amazes me that every time I buy a piece of audio-visual or audio equipment, the folks who write the instructions simply do not take into account that the new piece of equipment is being added to a larger component system.

These instructions presume I'm replacing a VHS recorder/player.  Nothing more is involved so far as the instructions are concerned.

The new toy is connected directly into the TV, whereas the VHS recorder it replaced was not...it was linked solely by a video cable and the VHS was linked into my receiver.  The new toy doesn't want to be linked into my receiver (and refuses to operate if I try it).

Sigh.  Experimentation resumes later today.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »

Not completely sure what Costco is?? WE do not have them up here....

Costco is a membership store that has very low prices on a lot of brand new (only) products.  They have their own product line (Kirkland brand) and if you have the room for storage, it's quite the bargain.  The only place I buy blank VHS tapes, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs is Costco.  The last time I bought DVD-Rs, they had a coupon (they only take their own coupons) for a free spindle of 100 DVD-Rs if you buy a spindle of 100 DVD-Rs for $22.95!  I also get things like paper towels (12-roll packages), toilet paper (36-roll packages), and I even bought my car through their program and paid only $100 over the invoice price!  No haggling!  I only live about two miles away, so I tend to go there quite often. ;)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 11:40:34 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »

PS. I have no stock in Costco...just a satisfied customer. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2006, 11:51:32 AM »

Good morning (yes, it's still morning in California).

Slept extremely well, even though it dipped into the low 30s overnight (and is supposed to get into the upper 20s tonight).  

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

It hasn't been this cold here since I've lived here (12-plus years).

The mattress warmer is h-e-a-v-e-n!

That would be a nice night here....

Glad we could share out bounty of cold air. :)
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »

Costco is a membership store that has very low prices on a lot of brand new (only) products.  They have their own product line (Kirkland brand) and if you have the room for storage, it's quite the bargain.  The only place I buy blank VHS tapes, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs is Costco.  The last time I bought DVD-Rs, they had a coupon (they only take their own coupons) for a free spindle of 100 DVD-Rs if you buy a spindle of 100 DVD-Rs for $22.95!  I also get things like paper towels (12-roll packages), toilet paper (36-roll packages), and I even bought my car through their program and paid only $100 over the invoice price!  No haggling!  I only live about two miles away, so I tend to go there quite often. ;)

That is cheap. The cheapest place round here is Target. I refuse to shop Walmart. Especially after one time when a sales clerk there grabbed my face and said read my lips. I was very, very offended. I told the manager and he laughed.

That was two years ago and I have not stepped ONE foot in Walmart since. I figure if that is how they treat people with hearing loss, I refuse to do business with them.

I need to get vid tapes and some cd's
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2006, 12:02:23 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  I slept late (after 9am) again this morning and have been reading the Sunday papers slowly.  Also watched a DVD - Big Eden.  

DH Richard will be home soon from his second day of shape-note singing.  We'll have a short visit, then I'm going out to spend the night at my mother's.  She has an early morning appointment tomorrow for some tests at the hospital and staying overnight with her will save me a little driving in the morning.  Mom and I will have a PJ party tonight and watch the Olympics together.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2006, 12:04:29 PM »

I don't know if there are other Mozart fans on the site beyond myself, but I had meant earlier to put in a good word for Jane Glover's new book for the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth, MOZART'S WOMEN.  It's a wonderful read about the women around him, mother, sister, notorious cousin, wife Constanze and her family, mother, father, talented sisters Aloysia, Josepha and Sophie - I had no idea until this week that the great Carl Maria von Weber was part of the same family - and several other interesting women, such as Nancy Storace, the original Susanna of LE NOZZE DI FIGARO.

It's quite a different picture of Salieri and Leopold from that of the film and play AMADEUS, and I'm enjoying it so much I'm listening to a lot of Mr Mozart, which is, incidentally, what Dustin Hoffman used to call me in the mid-1980s.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 12:05:40 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »

I  just "declared my independence" somewhat from my job.  No, I didn't quit, but I did change the homepage on my home computer browser from that of the library where I work to that of the New York Times.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  I slept late (after 9am) again this morning and have been reading the Sunday papers slowly.  Also watched a DVD - Big Eden.  

DH Richard will be home soon from his second day of shape-note singing.  We'll have a short visit, then I'm going out to spend the night at my mother's.  She has an early morning appointment tomorrow for some tests at the hospital and staying overnight with her will save me a little driving in the morning.  Mom and I will have a PJ party tonight and watch the Olympics together.  

DR Ginny, have a lovely evening with your mum...

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2006, 12:20:09 PM »

I'm listening to a lot of Mr Mozart, which is, incidentally, what Dustin Hoffman used to call me in the mid-1980s.
Not Mrs Robinson?  Guess he'd grown out of that.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2006, 12:22:56 PM »

DR Ginny, have a lovely evening with your mum...

Thank you, DR DakotaCelt!  She moved here several years ago to a nearby retirement community after living in Phoenix for about 15 years.  We like to do "girl stuff" together once in a while, sometimes just the 2 of us (like tonight) and sometimes with her sister, my sister, and my sister's daughter.  It's a real trip when all five of us are together - we have one each in her 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, and 40's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »

Sammy's vocals on the original original LP are indeed very hoarse - not totally terrible, but none of the power he normally has.  The redos are all for the better.  When I reissued the album on Bay Cities we asked if we could include the originals but I think the tapes are lost or destroyed.  I find it amazing that Golden Boy is having it's third incarnation on CD - first me, then Angel, now DRG.  One would think it would have sold what it would have sold, especially the Angel reissue.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the theater for the matinee performance.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

After the show, I shall be supping with Pogue and his pal, Larry Drake.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2006, 12:39:43 PM »

Not Mrs Robinson?  Guess he'd grown out of that.

Thank you, Jesus!

François de Paris

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »

Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

Can't we pray for somebody else's baby by now???? ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I want chocolate.

-That is all for now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »

Catching up on the posts from late last night, I was sorry to have missed the US geography discussion.  North Dakota is one of the 9 states I've never visited.  While our son (now 20) was growing up we took 3 long driving trips, 2 west and 1 east.  On our first trip west, in 1996, we especially enjoyed the drive west across South Dakota.  Upon entering the state just north of Sioux City, IA, we stopped a welcome center and paid $15 for cassettes that described  the drive along I-90.  We spent a couple of nights in the Badlands/Mt. Rushmore area and just before crossing into Wyoming, turned in the tapes and got our money back.  I always thought that was a great tourism idea.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »

Actually...

I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning.  I was expecting that I had put back on a pound or two - or three... or even four - since I had been back in NYC... And not really watching my diet that closely... And not running or exercising regularly... Well...

Over the past two weeks, I've lost two pounds since I last weighed in, and my body fat percentage dropped two more points too!  -The body fat percentage was a very welcome surprise since it means I actually lost some more fat - and more than just two pounds of it!

I guess all the walking I normally do in NYC has been good for me.  -And I had just figured my jeans were fitting "looser" since I had stretched them out through regular wear.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2006, 01:10:08 PM »

And speaking of jeans.... I have some laundry to do...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2006, 01:54:35 PM »

I asked about Sammy Davis' original song tracks for GOLDEN BOY: if they were as bad as descriptions I've read have said. One write-up said the raspiness and lack of pure tone added to his character, made him seem scrappier and less polished. Another said the distress in his voice made listening to the solo tracks (and one with Paula Wayne) unlistenable and that he was right to re-record them and for Capitol to re-release the album with the new tracks in place of the old ones.

Also wondered why Davis' original tracks weren't added to the various CD issues of GOLDEN BOY as bonus tracks. I've never heard these original tracks and would like to hear just how bad Davis' voice was and if it did indeed add depth to the character he was playing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2006, 01:58:41 PM »

Thanks for the GOLDEN BOY answer, BK.

One of these days I'd like to hear those hoarse vocals, just for my own curiosity.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »

Page Four Stepmother Dance!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up