Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SEVEN MINUTE NOTES  (Read 24699 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE SEVEN MINUTE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2006, 08:05:58 AM »

Good Morning!!

I saw most of the skating last night before falling asleep.  The local news stations are all praising Emily Hughes for landing in 7th place.  I thought her routine was lovely and she projected her sheer joy of being there skating in the Olympics.

I look forward to seeing her again in four years time.  

Sweetie!  You don't have to wait FOUR YEARS!  She'll be skating at the World competition in a month's time.  

And you'll be able to see her in a number of skating events (there's Skate America, Skate Canada and a bunch of Grand Prix events every year) between now and next year's Nationals.  In fact, you would have to TRY HARD to miss her...and if the vixter has any interest in figure skating, it won't happen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:34:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2006, 08:06:26 AM »

Page 3 "Rose Marie" DANCE:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:13:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2006, 08:10:49 AM »

TOD -

iPod - cast recording shuffle

Computer in office - The "I Love Musicals" 2 disc collection - new release from London, just ok, but I'm falling in love with the Lambeth Walk!

DVD - The First Season of Mary Tyler Moore - 2 more episodes to go!!

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »

Friday greetings!  Stayed up 'way past my bedtime last night to see the skating, but I wouldn't have missed it.  Actually, I predicted to DH Richard, before seeing any of the "contenders" skate, that Sasha and Irina would cave and the Japanese skater would win the gold.  No, really, I did.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2006, 08:18:04 AM »

Re: JRand55's question last night about what music we would use in "our" skating programs:

Short:  Elmer Bernstein's "Hollywood and the Stars"

Long:  SO MANY CHOICES.

Randy Edelman's "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" -- the next to last track (IIRC)
Randy Edelman's "Dragonheart" -- an edit of the the first two tracks on the CD
David Shire's sole orchestral composition for "2010" (I think it's title is "New Worlds")

Exhibition: The first track (Main theme) to the first "Survivor" CD -- a total footwork routine, I think.

An ambitious long program would be to the overture by Bronislau Kaper for "Mutiny on the Bounty" -- It would have to be edited a bit...and I have often thought the final minute or so of the track "Leaving Harbor" would be a nice alternate ending for that program...it could be done.

The entire overture can be heard here:

http://www.screenarchives.com/fsm/detailCD.CFM?ID=313

Not that I've ever given it any thought at all....

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:29:49 AM by Ron Pulliam »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2006, 08:30:43 AM »

Sweetie!  You don't have to wait FOUR YEARS!  She'll be skating at the World competition in a month's time.  

And you'll see her n a number of skating events between now and next year's Nationals.  In fact, you would have to TRY HARD to miss her...and if the vixter has any interest in figure skating, it won't happen.

OH!  I am not up on these things. Unfortunately the Vixter didn't get to see alot of the skating as most of it was on after her bedtime but she did see one skater in her black pants outfit, the one that looked like she was half undressed and she said "What is she a skater or a stripper?"  ;D  (I didn't know she KNEW what a stripper was!!) :o  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2006, 08:36:04 AM »

OH!  I am not up on these things. Unfortunately the Vixter didn't get to see alot of the skating as most of it was on after her bedtime but she did see one skater in her black pants outfit, the one that looked like she was half undressed and she said "What is she a skater or a stripper?"  ;D  (I didn't know she KNEW what a stripper was!!) :o  

Those unitards have GOT to go.  They don't look good...IMO.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2006, 08:42:06 AM »

SPOILER

LADIES' FREE SKATE

SPOILER

I don't have any problems with the end results of yesterday's long program...but I take issue with the judges for giving Arakawa higher "component program" (i.e. "artistic") marks than Sasha Cohen.  Arakawa's spins were limited, somewhat cumbersome and a few were "alop."  And that doughnot spin...she did it three or four times...whassupwidat?  VARIETY is very much needed.  She's a beautiful lady, statuesque...has that Katarina Witt appeal on ice...but one fall on on those jumps and she has nothing to fall back on, so to speak...she could not have overcome the fall that Sasha took and still have medaled, IMO.

Slutskaya has the same problem..only she also has NO choreography of note...it's just a dizzying series of dashes to her next jump...her spins are wild abandon unleashed...and excellent.  She chose high-energy music this year and it very much worked against her in that it left no after-glow with the viewers.  As highly overrated as I've thought she has been the past five years, I was disappointed that she had nothing more to offer than she displayed last night.

As for the oft-reported comment that she believed she should have been given the gold in Salt Lake City, the truth is she didn't earn it.  Her performance was pretty lackluster.  I cannot imagine anyone watching that event and thinking Irina skated better than anyone.  I didn't even think her skate was better than Michelle Kwan's (who, ruinously, changed her terrific program skated at nationals...which included a final series of things like a split, a falling leaf and other fast footwork...totally eliminating the emotional rush that progam had at its end) and Michelle fell once, but skated beautifully.  No! Sara Hughes skated THE program of that competition...one day I hope Irina realizes this and gets over herself.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:51:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2006, 08:46:32 AM »

As for the skating being on too late.

It was on MUCH TOO LATE FOR ME.  I scanned through the final five performances this morning.  I was dog tired last night, although I didn't go to bed until 10:30 p.m.

NBC needs to be rebuked for its atrocious handling of the day's events.  Primetime is FAMILY time ... and it's roughly 8-10 p.m.

The TRUMP CARD for the Olympics is figure skating, and none is as high a draw as Ladies Figure Skating.

To show it over the course of FOUR HOURS, with the finale falling the final hour when most folks have gone to bed, is INSANE.  It's wrongheaded, ignorant and whoever made the decision to show the event in this manner deserves to be fired and blacklisted from making such decisions ever again, except in the privacy of his home.

I PRAY NBC lost the ratings to "Idol" and "Survivor" and the other two "competition" shows..."Skating with the Stars" and "Dancing with the Stars" -- because none of the figure skating that mattered was aired in those two hours -- and SHOULD have been.

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2006, 08:48:36 AM »

Those unitards have GOT to go.  They don't look good...IMO.

I agree, I prefer the skirt outfits myself for the female skaters, but the "illusion" material running over sensitive regions is a bit much....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2006, 08:49:07 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... I was going to go to Lestat rehearsals this morning, but... Guess I'll pop in after the lunch break.

In any case...  Once again...

Good Morning.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2006, 08:52:20 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - I've been wondering about the lateness of the NBC coverage.  I guess they really want to win all the time slots possible.  I was surprised when I got in last night - after 11:30 - that the skating was still going on.  I figured they would have ended by 11:30 - or at least 11:38 to coincide with the end of the local news coverage on the other stations.  -Oh, I guess 10:30 and 10:38 for "those" time zones.

If the coverage was "live", then I could understand it going that late, but since it was tape-delayed...

*I do have a feeling, however, that "AI" probably won the ratings race again this week, so.... Cold comfort.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Jessica Molaskey - "A Good Day" and "Make Believe" - I'm digging the arrangement of "Cloudburst/Getting Married Today".  *Although, I do have to admit that Ms. Molaskey's "jazz voice" gets to be a bit too too at times.  I wanna hear her belt again!

Stevie Wonder - "The Definitive Collection"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2006, 08:57:30 AM »

~~~~WELCOME HOME VIBES FOR DR DANISE~~~~

:) :) :) :) :)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »

As for the skating being on too late.

It was on MUCH TOO LATE FOR ME.  I scanned through the final five performances this morning.  I was dog tired last night, although I didn't go to bed until 10:30 p.m.

NBC needs to be rebuked for its atrocious handling of the day's events.  Primetime is FAMILY time ... and it's roughly 8-10 p.m.

The TRUMP CARD for the Olympics is figure skating, and none is as high a draw as Ladies Figure Skating.

To show it over the course of FOUR HOURS, with the finale falling the final hour when most folks have gone to bed, is INSANE.  It's wrongheaded, ignorant and whoever made the decision to show the event in this manner deserves to be fired and blacklisted from making such decisions ever again, except in the privacy of his home.

I PRAY NBC lost the ratings to "Idol" and "Survivor" and the other two "competition" shows..."Skating with the Stars" and "Dancing with the Stars" -- because none of the figure skating that mattered was aired in those two hours -- and SHOULD have been.

We should all write letters to NBC with exactly this statement in it.  Of course their strategy probably was trying to get the viewers to stay for all four hours so they wouldn't miss anything and keep their viewership high for the whole time, but if that was their strategy it misfired.  All week I have been turning off the Olympics in favor of  DVDs or other programming because the insane bouncing from sport to sport was driving me nuts.

ALSO!! If this whole thing is on tape delay why oh why must we be subject to that awful "filler material" are they trying to convince us that we are watching it "live"?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2006, 09:01:04 AM »

DR MBarnum - I'm sure if you took a break from buying Bollywood movies and e-Bay, you'd have enough saved up for a return trip to NYC... In about a week's time!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2006, 09:01:04 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... I was going to go to Lestat rehearsals this morning, but... Guess I'll pop in after the lunch break.

In any case...  Once again...

Good Morning.

:)

OH!! I forgot to mention... I got a flyer for Lestat in my mailbox yesterday.  I was annoyed to see that  those stupid publisists forgot to include  DR Jose's picture and name!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2006, 09:02:19 AM »

When someone is taping or using TIVO - does NBC get those rating points?  I never understood how that worked.....

And yes the way they are broadcasting the games is NOT convenient for the viewers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »

I am loving all the choices for the skating programs of the DR's.  I am a bit disappointed that DRJOSE is not using "I Enjoy Being a Girl" - but I guess he is saving that for his jazz dance exhibition in Australia.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2006, 09:04:03 AM »

I can't remember the exact date, but Mr. Connick will be leaving The Pajama Game after his contract is up due to touring and recording conflicts.  I guess they could recast the show, but that would be some casting session - and they would most likely have to re-tailor the show to a non-piano playing leading man.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2006, 09:04:31 AM »

Unitards - that's the title of my next novel.

I did manage to get eight hours of sleep, so that felt good.  I have to go over to Staples and get the script for Linda's show copied.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2006, 09:04:41 AM »

TOD:

DVD - The MindBenders a 1963 English film with Dirk Bogarde about brainwashing.

CD:  Company OBC - I love this score and the performances are definitive for me.

VCR: Back Street with Susan Hayward & John Gavin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2006, 09:04:53 AM »

I am loving all the choices for the skating programs of the DR's.  I am a bit disappointed that DRJOSE is not using "I Enjoy Being a Girl" - but I guess he is saving that for his jazz dance exhibition in Australia.

Hmm...

I just don't want to tarnish the memory of one of my favorite movie musical sequences.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2006, 09:05:24 AM »

...And I'd want all the costume changes too.  Very hard to do on the ice.

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2006, 09:07:39 AM »

Well... I want to head outside to check on my car.  It started fine last night, and I was able to move it to the other side of the street so that I wouldn't have to move it this morning.  -I just hope I was parked far away enough from the fire hydrant... :-\

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2006, 09:13:38 AM »

I'd also like to comment on last night's skating (ladies long program).

I was extremely disappointed in the skating.  I mean really disappointed.
I honestly don't think that Sasha Cohen deserved a silver medal for that performance (and she is my favorite skater of the bunch).

I wanted to see both her and the russian skate flawlessly and then see who would win.  I think I was in shock when Sasha fell on her two first jumps.  I think she did a great job after that. But still, IMO you fall twice = no podium.

DR MattH, I also loved the Canadian skater (her name is Joannie Rochette).  I was really proud that she made it all the way to 5th place.

As for the Japanese gold medalist.  Well considering the other 2 fell, she had to win.  But she just didn't do it for me.  She was graceful and skated well.  But she was not exciting or interesting.

It's really a shame that some years everyone skates clean and someone who skated fantastic has to get a silver medal, and this year we have this. I really was expecting so much more.

I was not thrilled with the skating either. Lackluster in a way...

I do have to give credit to a gal from Turkey... NOt the grandest of all routines but she showed she had determination and guts....

I also enjoyed the Canadian skater.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2006, 09:20:57 AM »

I agree with you. I find her fresh and engaging when she skates, and she has such a positive attitude. (So did sister Sarah when she was competing.)

I agree also... In someway I am rather surprised she did not continue competing but then again she got the ultimate prize in the Olympics -- the gold.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2006, 09:23:48 AM »

My boss is coming up from Des Moines today and we have 2 meetings over administrative stuff with the court.  I'm mostly there to listen, so it shouldn't be a bad day.   It's supposed to be 55 degrees today. Too bad I can't play hooky!

You can send some of that warm air up this way please....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2006, 09:33:09 AM »

The changes would be difficult, yes DR JOSE.  But I am sure the comments would be worth it!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2006, 09:35:54 AM »

What is it with these comments from (not just the skaters) - it doesn't matter if I win or whatever....I just want to do my best and really want to do it for myself....etc.

They are supposed to be representing US.  We didn't send them to the Olympics for therapy or to feel better about themselves.  They are supposed to be the best in our country at what they do....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....also a bit perturbed at the the skater who dropped out of the 1500 to concentrate on his individual event.....WITHOUT telling the captain of the team.  I guess it is all about individual glory.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up