Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: OY AND VEY  (Read 23979 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:OY AND VEY
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2006, 08:12:31 PM »

As for the whether Olympians go to the Olympics for there own glory or for their country...  Well...

Maybe we should get the East German judge in here for her opinion.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2006, 08:15:21 PM »

Jose, how much weight have you lost?
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

François de Paris

« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2006, 08:23:50 PM »

I'm sorry I do not have time to do the translation, but you, movie buffs, will get the message; here are the results of the main2006 Cesar winners!

Meilleur film français : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE

Meilleur acteur :  Michel BOUQUET (LE PROMENEUR DU CHAMPS DE MARS)

Meilleure actrice : Nathalie BAYE (LE PETIT LIEUTENANT)

Meilleur réalisateur : Jacques AUDIARD (DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE)

Meilleur acteur dans un second rôle : Niels ARESTRUP (DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE)

Meilleure actrice dans un second rôle : Cécile DE FRANCE (LES POUPEES RUSSES)

Meilleur espoir masculin : Louis GARREL (LES AMANTS REGULIERS)

Meilleur espoir féminin : LINH-DAN PHAM (DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE)

Meilleur premier film : LE CAUCHEMAR DE DARWIN d'Hubert SAUPER

Meilleur scénario original : VA, VIS ET DEVIENS Radu MIHAILEANU, Alain-Michel BLANC

Meilleure adaptation : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE Jacques AUDIARD, Tonino BENACQUISTA

Meilleure musique écrite pour un film : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE Alexandre DESPLAT

Meilleur court-métrage : AFTER SHAVE Hany TAMBA

Meilleure photo : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE Stéphane FONTAINE

Meilleurs décors : GABRIELLE Olivier RADOT

Meilleur son : LA MARCHE DE L'EMPEREUR Laurent QUAGLIO, Gérard LAMPS

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2006, 08:28:41 PM »

DR Jason and I attended a performance of a new play at the The Public Theatre last night called "Measure for Pleasure" by David Grimm.  It's an interesting piece.  On the posters for the show, there is a Parental Advisory warning of "Explicit Verse".  It's basically a quasi-Shakespearian/Restoration/Moliere-ian/Comedy/Drama with a 20th Century twist.  I'm not sure if it truly succeeds in blending a style of the past with modern day references and slang, but there were some nice moments along the way.

The cast:
Michael Stuhlbarg
Wayne Knight (yes, Newman from "Seinfeld"
Saxon Palmer
Euan Morton (who spends most of his time on stage in a dress)
Suzanne Bertish
Susan Bloomaert
Emily Swallow

...Handle the material very well - including some rapid-fire rhyming couplets and tongue-twister-like patter.  However, they all also seem to come from a different regions of the British Isles.  -Who knows?  Maybe the "inconsistency" is/was on purpose, but I found it a bit distracting.

The plot has many twists and turns - MANY! - and I even lost track of one important plot device early on.  I also thought the play was a bit too long.  One act too long.  The whole first act seems almost superfluous after the fact.  And then the ending... "Where did that come from? and Why?"  So...

I can't really give the show a pan or a rave at this time since it just started previews this week.  However, I do think some judicious trimming would suit the piece very well.  There are truly some long stretches in the play that seem long.  -And, yes, I will admit to nodding off a time or two.  -And I kept myself awake in the second act by watching other people in the audience try to stay awake.  ;)  *And the second act runs longer than the first act too, which also added to sense of "long".  However, it was plotted better than the first act.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2006, 08:28:49 PM »

Thank you François. Hopefully all those films will get a release here in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2006, 08:30:51 PM »

Thank you François. Hopefully all those films will get a release here in OZ.

Well, some of them have already been released in the US so why not the land of Oz!!

Or you may get the Hollywood version of them before the French ones reach you! ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2006, 08:31:27 PM »

Oh!....

And as DR Jason and I were wrapping up dinner at the Renaissance Restaurant, DR Rodzinski happened to drop by with some goodies for Jason.  And then since he was also heading downtown, he joined us for our trip on the subway.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2006, 08:33:25 PM »

DR François - Merci beaucoup for posting the list of the Cesars.  And it's nice to see that "The Beat My Heart Skipped" took home a couple of awards - especially since it was an adaptation of a American film.  -Usually it's been the other way around with the American product being a bit lacking.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

That was a really pointless meeting. We had a flat tire on the freeway on the way home. Thank goodness for AAA and cell phones!

Glad to hear that you made it home safely!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

François de Paris

« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »

The big winner which got a positive review by our own DR elmore!

http://www.debattremoncoeursestarrete-lefilm.com/

François de Paris

« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2006, 08:37:23 PM »

DR François - Merci beaucoup for posting the list of the Cesars.  And it's nice to see that "The Beat My Heart Skipped" took home a couple of awards - especially since it was an adaptation of a American film.  -Usually it's been the other way around with the American product being a bit lacking.

;)

True! "They" won't have to redo this one; it already exists as FINGERS!

If they ever do a Broadway version, YOU should star in it!!

François de Paris

« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2006, 08:39:22 PM »

;)

"A couple??" Count them up! Seven! Like the deadly virtues or the dwarfs!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »

Had a fun evening of DVD entertainment.

First up was an episode of CSI from the disc I skipped in the Season 5 set. Very entertaining as usual.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2006, 08:42:12 PM »

Jose, how much weight have you lost?

You wanna know what?!?!?!?!?

;)

Well...

According the first* number on my scale, I've lost 17 pounds since Thanksgiving.  Not bad.  -The slower it comes off, the slower it goes back on.  Yes, I would have liked to have lost a couple of more pounds by now, but I also haven't been as diligent in my efforts the past two weeks while getting resettled back here in New York City.  However, I'm still losing a pound a week - very sensible.

*Now, according to the second number on my scale...  I have one of those body-fat measuring scales... I've dropped four percentage points... So...  After crunching some numbers, it looks like I've lost about 20 pounds of fat and gained about seven pounds of muscle.  Not bad at all.

And, finally, I'm down two inches in my waist, a couple of inches in my chest, and I can definitely see that my legs are not as big as they used to be too.  And that's the best "feeling" of all the numbers.  I have about eight more weeks until Lestat opens... Which means I have about seven more weeks until I buy my new tux and/or suit for Opening Night.

:)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 08:45:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2006, 08:43:38 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - Well... At least you got to spend some time with your DD and DR Sandra.

Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »

I'm sorry I do not have time to do the translation, but you, movie buffs, will get the message; here are the results of the main2006 Cesar winners!

Meilleur film français : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE

Meilleur acteur :  Michel BOUQUET (LE PROMENEUR DU CHAMPS DE MARS)

Meilleure actrice : Nathalie BAYE (LE PETIT LIEUTENANT)

Meilleur réalisateur : Jacques AUDIARD (DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE)

Meilleur acteur dans un second rôle : Niels ARESTRUP (DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE)

Meilleure actrice dans un second rôle : Cécile DE FRANCE (LES POUPEES RUSSES)

Meilleur espoir masculin : Louis GARREL (LES AMANTS REGULIERS)

Meilleur espoir féminin : LINH-DAN PHAM (DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE)

Meilleur premier film : LE CAUCHEMAR DE DARWIN d'Hubert SAUPER

Meilleur scénario original : VA, VIS ET DEVIENS Radu MIHAILEANU, Alain-Michel BLANC

Meilleure adaptation : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE Jacques AUDIARD, Tonino BENACQUISTA

Meilleure musique écrite pour un film : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE Alexandre DESPLAT

Meilleur court-métrage : AFTER SHAVE Hany TAMBA

Meilleure photo : DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE Stéphane FONTAINE

Meilleurs décors : GABRIELLE Olivier RADOT

Meilleur son : LA MARCHE DE L'EMPEREUR Laurent QUAGLIO, Gérard LAMPS

DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRETE

I am hoping hte Fargo theatre books the above film...

I see Nathalie Baye won an award... I enjoy work.

Merci Francois!!

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »

My friend John came over tonight for a movie night. We haven't done one if quite a while, since MILLION DOLLAR BABY about six weeks ago at his house.

Tonight we started with DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS with Steve Martin and Michael Caine. He and I both enjoyed the musical version in NYC so much this summer and wanted to revisit the film. I hadn't seen it since its original release which was in the late 1980s, I think.

Anyway, it's lots of fun, but I sure missed the Yazbeck music.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2006, 08:46:56 PM »

And speaking of SCOUNDRELS, who's seen the original version BEDTIME STORY? I only saw bits and pieces of it on TV decades ago. It seemed very dull to me at the time. Wonder if I'd like it beter now?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2006, 08:48:36 PM »

...And I spent another good chunk of time with DR Jason...

I had been wanting to head back to the Reservoir in Central Park, and since Jason hadn't been there before...  We had a wonderful stroll around the Reservoir.  Lots of pics were taken, and once I transfer them from my camera, I'll try my best to post a few.

It was a great afternoon for a walk in the park.  The skies had cleared, the sun had come out, and the temp was not too cold.  We enjoyed the scenery and changing vistas of the New York Skyline as we circled the Reservoir.  -And we also enjoyed some of the scenery that was running by us.

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2006, 08:48:41 PM »

Next, we watched THE FIRM. I never read Grisham's book, but it's hard to think it could be any more suspenseful than this fine film version. Thoroughly enjoyable suspense drama.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2006, 08:50:22 PM »

So, that will leave FIREFLY and the rest of that CSI disc for tomorrow for sure. I'm thinking with the Olympics closing tomorrow, there will be a raft of reruns on TV tomorrow night which might mean the DVDs come out again during prime time.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2006, 08:53:21 PM »

I just checked the TV schedules. Surprisingly, there's a lot of new programming tomorrow night opposite the closing ceremonies.

ABC has the DANCING WITH THE STARS final show. CBS has a new COLD CASE. Fox is showing some new comedies. So, looks like they're aggressively counterprogramming against the Olympics. Good for them!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2006, 08:53:52 PM »

Jose, that's fantastic, congratulations!

I wish I had a body fat scale... I've lost 28 lbs since October, but I have no idea about body fat.  I should have the gym measure.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2006, 08:54:30 PM »

Oh, tomorrow night there's a new GREY'S ANATOMY for fans of that show here as well!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »

After our walk in the park, we headed over to DR elmore's abode for a visit.  What a great visit!  It was nice to see Larry again - I haven't seen him since I got back to NYC - and it was the first time that Jason had seen Larry's library(!).  Larry "held court", and regaled us with many a story about many a show and many an actor and actress.  Reputations were made, and no one was spared.  No one.

;D

We then headed to dinner around the corner where we had one of the quietest waitresses in the world.  -I believe she was in training.  The food was very good, and the conversation continued to flow.  And, best of all, Larry ended up picking up the tab!

Thank You, Larry!  -A truly pleasant surprise, and much appreciated.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2006, 08:57:55 PM »

Okay, gather ye vibes...

I just got a phone call about the possibility of a MAJOR job opportunity... nothing is definite yet, but it would be a dream come true.  Please keep your fingers, toes, ankles, arms, legs, and eyes crossed for me.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ VIBES, VIBES and MORE VIBES for DR Joy!! ~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2006, 08:59:21 PM »

And once things begin to calm down at work, DR Jason will be returning to these here parts.  -Probably once he's back from sunny and warm Orlando next week for SETCs...:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2006, 09:00:09 PM »

Jose, that's fantastic, congratulations!

I wish I had a body fat scale... I've lost 28 lbs since October, but I have no idea about body fat.  I should have the gym measure.

Thanks!

And Good Job Vibes to you too!~~~~~~~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2006, 09:00:27 PM »

I am hoping that Ms Linda Purl's show gets a great reception.....the opening number is perfectly chosen!!

My hope would be that the show might get recorded...maybe on a fairly new record label.

Just a thought. ;)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 09:00:51 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2006, 09:00:53 PM »

I'm sure he'll enjoy Orlando even if it is a "working trip."

Naturally, we'll want a full report when he returns.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up