Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES  (Read 20506 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 07:14:56 AM »

And since der B will be ladsitting today (and taking them to see Curious George) (which I will not get to see until it is on DVD), and I will be working, this sounds like another night of not watching much of anything.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 07:15:32 AM »

Page Two Dance.  Big whoop.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 07:18:32 AM »

One of the things I have liked about THE OFFICE this season is that considerably less time has been spent with the hard-to-take Michael and more time has been given to fleshing out the other staff at the paper company. The closeted Oscar, the unrequited lovers Jim and Pam, the temp Ryan, and the others.

Even creator of the British original Ricky Gervais has credited the American version with besting them in exploring the interesting personalities of the other workers. Of course, they only made 13 British OFFICE comedies (12 half hours and one special to tie up loose ends). They've done almost three times that already for the American version.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 07:22:45 AM »

Who here saw PRIDE AND PREJUDICE with Keira Knightley (either at the movies or on DVD)? I love the story, so I've been very tempted to get this now instead of waiting to see it on HBO (or whichever pay cable channel will feature it in six months or so).

Just curious to know others' reactions to this version, especially if you saw either the Greer Garson original or the masterful 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 07:35:40 AM »

Due to the unseasonably warm weather we've had over the past couple of weeks, my spring flowers are already blooming. Daffodils are springing up everywhere. I just hope we don't have a hard freeze that will kill them. This early in MArch, we've even been known to have deep snow here.

Danise

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 07:40:47 AM »

'Morning all!  

I was wondering the same thing, DR Matt.  I have the BBC version you mentioned on DVD and I just LOVE it.  In fact, now that you mentioned it, I shall have to watch it again.  

I was also thinking of just buying the new version even though I didn't go to the movies to see it.  

Vixmom, could you please email/PM me your address so I can send you a check for some GS Cookies?   I know I want some of those shortbread cookies.

Does anyone else besides me like them cold?  I like to put them in the fridge.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 07:44:40 AM »

And friend just emailed me that he will meet up with me tomorrow for dirty martinis and interview clothes shopping.

I wouldn't know a clean martini from a dirty martini.   :-\

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 07:46:55 AM »

Who here saw PRIDE AND PREJUDICE with Keira Knightley (either at the movies or on DVD)? I love the story, so I've been very tempted to get this now instead of waiting to see it on HBO (or whichever pay cable channel will feature it in six months or so).

Just curious to know others' reactions to this version, especially if you saw either the Greer Garson original or the masterful 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

The new version needed another 30 minutes to fill out the subplots, which were poorly skimped over; also the telescoping made some serious lapses in social behavior for 1812.  I loved Donald Sutherland but his Mr Bennett is not the sarcastic removed gentleman of Miss Austen's book.  He's much too loving to a wife he merely tolerates and condescends to in the book.  Bingley, his sister, and all the continual petty rudeness and cruelty in social situations are not prominent enough.  The BBC/A&E or the early 1980s one with the screenplay by Fay Weldon are better, but I liked the new cast and film design a lot.

I loathe the Greer Garson version set 20 years later than it should be, too coy, and making Lady Catherine de Burgh a good lady at the end repels me.  It's Lady Catherine's condescension, rudeness, and stupidity that helps Darcy discover his family can be as graceless as Lizzie's.  I love Edna Mae Oiver, and I know she could play mean.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 07:47:53 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 08:10:47 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Why?  I purposely planned nothing for the morning so I could catch up on my sleep or, at the very least, ketchup on my sleep.  And yet, here I am, up at eight o'clock, thanks to my internal clock (IC).  

The first movie my daughter saw was Lady and the Tramp.  

Funny elmore mentions Mr. Leroy Anderson - this past week I've had several telephonic calls with Mrs. Anderson, his widow.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 08:11:29 AM »

Dirty martinis have olive juice in them, giving them an oh so slightly cloudy appearance- hence the name.  Rodzinski approves just so long as I don't try to make him drink one.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 08:13:18 AM »

Thanks for the continued job fair vibes.  By no means will I be doing formal interview.  I think this is just more informational to see what positions the agency has or will have open.  I'm curious to find out if they will hire graduates before they have their license in hand, since the licensing process can take 2-3 months.  When I graduate I will have an MSW after my name, but it will take a few months and a big old test before I can add the L and become an LMSW.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 08:13:40 AM »

Vixmom, could you please email/PM me your address so I can send you a check for some GS Cookies?   I know I want some of those shortbread cookies.

DR Danise - I like cake that has been kept in the refrigerator.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 08:14:01 AM »

Some agencies for billing and insurance purposes can't have you see clients until you have the L.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 08:15:29 AM »

I'm off to do chores.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 08:15:40 AM »

Thanks, DR Elmore, for the detailed comparisons to the various P&P versions and the book. Now, I think I'll just wait for the movie to show up on pay cable. (Or if a friend gets it on DVD and loans it to me for viewing.)

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2006, 08:16:48 AM »

I'm off to do chores.

Me, too, and I have some errands to do that will take me away from home for awhile.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »

DR TPunk - have fun, fun, fun shopping for job fair/interview/work clothes.  It's a real tightrope, wanting to look professional but not austere.  My challenge is to find jackets with pockets, because I have to carry keys, a pen, business cards, and sometimes my cell phone and iPod.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »

Yesterday it was eighty degrees, hot, and gorgeous.  Today it is pouring rain.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2006, 08:20:32 AM »

Thanks, DR Elmore, for the detailed comparisons to the various P&P versions and the book. Now, I think I'll just wait for the movie to show up on pay cable. (Or if a friend gets it on DVD and loans it to me for viewing.)

Or, DR MattH, you could get on the waiting list at your local public library.  My system has 33 copies on order, with a waiting list of 271.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »

DR MATTH asked a question about LAST NIGHT's SURVIVOR:

Was this guy some kind of bad sport or what? To spend his last on-camera moment bad mouthing the other players on his team just seemed like the worst kind of sour grapes to me. Or did he have legit reasons to be so angry and bitter?

For some reason they didn't show those remarks here. They showed him getting voted off, and then the screen froze. So no closing remarks for me.  What exactly did he say?

I think it was sort of stupid of them to vote him off since he was physically strong.  Sometimes it is very stupid to send off someone whose personality you dislike, because they can help you in the end.

I guess he was mad because the night before he had slept in the outhouse (the team won a nice big wood outhouse as a prize). And this guy and another guy slept in it to stay dry.  Well the team had won wine, and this guy took it with him and drank it all. The other teammates were mad.  But they didn't like him much before that either.

Danise

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2006, 08:26:41 AM »

Or, DR MattH, you could get on the waiting list at your local public library.  My system has 33 copies on order, with a waiting list of 271.

I think most of us forget that we can get DVD's at the library.  I'll have to give that a try.  

We have a web site that you can place yourself on a waiting list for something (books/videos) and they let you know when you can pick it up.

I wish I could drive to the library but I can't until the doctor releases me.   All this laying around is starting to get on my nerves.    >:(

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »

'Morning all!  

I was wondering the same thing, DR Matt.  I have the BBC version you mentioned on DVD and I just LOVE it.  In fact, now that you mentioned it, I shall have to watch it again.  

I was also thinking of just buying the new version even though I didn't go to the movies to see it.  

DR Danise, you might want to (once your diet allows) check out Edy's Girl Scout Cookies Ice Cream.  I bought a container of the Tagalong variety last week (which remains untouched in my freezer--I shall dig into it this weekend for shure!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2006, 08:27:39 AM »

Re: last night's IDOL

(don't read if you don't want to know who was eliminated).

I switched back and forth at the Survivor commercials, and then fast forwarded through it after.  I was happy Brenna was gone.  And was not surprised that konnik and heather were the other 2 lowest. It seems clear that konnik and melissa will probably be the next to go.  I was sad though about heather. Even though i knew she wouldn't finish high, i still thought her personality was really nice.

As for the guys, i was a bit surprised kevin (blond boy) was in the bottom 3. I thought the little girls would like him more. And as for the other crooner guy, i liked how he sounded, but his personality was just not there. The other night when ryan interviewed him, he just stood there so awkwardly. I can't imagine the little girls went for that!

As for the judges comments, i didn't watch them that well. But i think paula was trying to lighten the mood.  It might have been in poor taste, but i didn't see anything i think she/they should apologize for.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »

Funny elmore mentions Mr. Leroy Anderson - this past week I've had several telephonic calls with Mrs. Anderson, his widow.

The Anderson documentary "Once Upon a Sleighride" played on PBS over the Christmas holiday season and it really was wonderful; it made me wish for another hour, more music, and more interviews on GOLDILOCKS.  Elaine Stritch's terse comment to me, when I asked her about it, was "Agnes DeMille killed it with too many dances."

Perhaps Kritzerland can record the lost score to WONDERFUL TOWN.

DRMattH, my fave of all is still the Colin Firth-Jennifer Ehle P&P, which I think really showcases both Lydia's and her mother's social ineptitude and the horrible Bingley sisters' utter rudeness.   I have the Fay Weldon edition on DVD as well, and I should watch it again.  I let it slide once the A&E edition was released, but I remember liking it quite a lot.

Judi Dench as Lady Catherine is quite wonderful, but another 30 minutes of her would have been nice, too.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2006, 08:33:14 AM »

And re: wednesday's LOST.

I loved most of it.  It was the best backstory ever!  Well what a creative idea to do the backstory as claire's missing weeks. I loved that.  It was riveting. I loved how the french woman played into the story. And how they (claire/kate/danielle) all went to find the serum.

The only part of the show that took me down was the actual ending. And the locke/eko/guy locked up parts.  I just wasn't that interesting to me.

And where the heck is michael. He has been gone for weeks!
And where was charlie? They didn't even show him.I think he would care that the baby was sick.

There are just so many characters that we can go episodes without seeing them (no jin, charlie or ana lucia). Sometimes i wonder if they just write out those who are on press tours in LA and NYC!

Oh and one more thing about the backstory. I never could have imagined that that was what had happened to claire while she was gone. Crazy.

Danise

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2006, 08:38:27 AM »

And re: wednesday's LOST.

I loved most of it.  It was the best backstory ever!  Well what a creative idea to do the backstory as claire's missing weeks. I loved that.  It was riveting. I loved how the french woman played into the story. And how they (claire/kate/danielle) all went to find the serum.

The only part of the show that took me down was the actual ending. And the locke/eko/guy locked up parts.  I just wasn't that interesting to me.

And where the heck is michael. He has been gone for weeks!
And where was charlie? They didn't even show him.I think he would care that the baby was sick.

There are just so many characters that we can go episodes without seeing them (no jin, charlie or ana lucia). Sometimes i wonder if they just write out those who are on press tours in LA and NYC!

Oh and one more thing about the backstory. I never could have imagined that that was what had happened to claire while she was gone. Crazy.

I didn't understand the bit about the costume beard/glue.  I've only missed one show and it had to be the one with the Others.  From what I gather, it had something to do with one of them.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2006, 08:38:28 AM »

Media Check:

iPod:  nothing new

Tivo:  THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

DVD:  SOAP, Season One--I had forgotten how funny this show was.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2006, 08:41:25 AM »

DR Danise, you might want to (once your diet allows) check out Edy's Girl Scout Cookies Ice Cream.  I bought a container of the Tagalong variety last week (which remains untouched in my freezer--I shall dig into it this weekend for shure!)

I don't have any restrictions.   :)  In fact, I am thinking about taking a later walk down this evening to the local Papa Johns Pizza and getting a thin crust for Mom/Bear/Brandi/myself.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 08:44:34 AM »

The obnoxious little despot who runs the Home Theater Forum, a site filled with idiocy of the highest order, where "reviewers" mangle English, don't know what they're talking about, etc.,  has just posted a mini-review of Dog Day Afternoon, a film he loves.  That's fine - I love it, too.  What is astonishing is that he then lists his four favorite films of ALL TIME (emphasis his and mine).  Of ALL TIME, mind you.  The list:

Glory (Columbia)
1776 (Columbia)
Dog Day Afternoon (Warner)
Braveheart (Paramount)

Of ALL TIME.  Braveheart.  Glory.  I know it's all subjective, but I mean that list just makes me want to vomit on the ground.  Of ALL TIME.  This is a guy who admits that prior to DVD he had never seen a classic film.  Whatever one may think of Braveheart and Glory (and I don't think much of them), there is something terrible awry if those are one's favorite films of ALL TIME.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 08:44:40 AM »

I didn't understand the bit about the costume beard/glue.  I've only missed one show and it had to be the one with the Others.  From what I gather, it had something to do with one of them.  

Remember "Zeke", the leader of the Others that Jack, Locke and Sawyer met in the jungle when they went looking for Michael?  He is the same man who was talking to Ethan in the bunker this week in Clair's flashback.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up