Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES  (Read 20481 times)

Danise

Re:WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:09 AM »

I didn't see "Zeke".  That must have been the show I missed.   :(
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2006, 09:01:44 AM »

Does anyone have a copy of the current issue of Backstage?  I heard through the grapevine that Dear Friend Do-Re-Milla Ilieva won one of their Bistro Awards, but they don't have the paper on our newsstand, and it's not mentioned anywhere online.  If anyone has the paper, can you confirm whether it's true before I potentially embarrass myself by congratulating her?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2006, 09:03:24 AM »

So, here I am, just starting Mr. Suskin's Second Act Trouble.  If I find a ridiculous error on his first introduction (to The Act), I shudder to think what's in store.  I mean, Mr. Suskin didn't even write this book - he compiled it from existing material and inserted some thoughts along the way.  So, how hard is it to get a film title right?  I mean, honestly.  There it is, talking about Liza Minnelli and two of her films - Lucky Lady and Somewhere in Time (directed by her father).  SOMEWHERE IN TIME?  Last I looked, Somewhere In Time was a film starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.  The film Mr. Suskin is alluding to, of course, is A Matter Of Time.  It may seem like nitpicking, but it's not - it's just sloppy research.  I understand typos, I undestand other little things that slip by, because I've been there, done that four times.  What I don't understand is the inability to get a title right, and the inability of a major publisher's editor OR Mr. Suskin to not catch the mistake.  Oops, did I say "major publisher"?  It's Applause - one of the worst.  Do they even HAVE an editor?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2006, 09:04:28 AM »

It's pleasant to be able to give a little back to Mr. Suskin, who, for quite a time back in the day, routinely trashed any recording I produced, which I believe he did for personal reasons.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »

Good morning, gang!

Oy, it's raining again... yes, my old ballet hip joints knew this well-before I attempted the customary springing outa bed. Bruce, it was 80 degrees yesterday??? Where was I?

Danise continues her recovery as a really Good Sport - yup, lying around is sheer heck, but kudo's on your discipline.

CD player in the car: my Jefferson Public Radio interview, 2 years ago in Ashland, which Keith of Jane and Keith was kind enough to record and dub for me. Time to go out on another - oy - book tour - and this interview is wunna the tools.

And having had numerous encounters with the endless, bottomless prolific creativity of our own BK through these here notes and a couple of face-to-faces of late, I have submitted an outline and 100 pages of an unfinished work to a niche publisher up in Vermont - it is the workbook I've been using for my arts seminars for the last 15 years.

And I submitted the 4-actor version of JEWISH THIGHS to a very fine director who works mostly in LA, who had kindly expressed interest in the piece after seeing my solo version in Noo Yawk last year.

AND I have started a new piece as of this morning - about which I began cogitating during the long meditative drive back from Seattle two weeks ago. So - wanna be productive and creative, hang with productive and creative folks. Yes, Virginia, it IS contagious.
PennyO

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »

~~~MUCH VIBAGE~~~ tp PennyO on your many and sundried projects!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2006, 09:23:05 AM »

Okay off to collect the Vixter and company!!

Thanks for the Vibes!!!

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2006, 09:23:19 AM »

and all the cookie orders!!!

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »

OK, I'm signing off, too, probably until tomorrow morning.  Workshop at Sinclair Community College all afternoon, followed by a quick dinner and journey to Oxford, OH, for the concert at Miami University this evening.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2006, 09:27:07 AM »

CD:  I'm listening to a double CD (a British import) of two Gene McDaniels albums Sometimes I'm Happy & Hit After Hit...The first is really not very notable; Gene doing serviceable but not particularly shattering renditions of standards like How Long Has This Been Going On, And The Angels Sing, Never Like This (and a God awful stultifying Green Door...never a fav of mine anyway).  But there is one cut that makes the whole first album worth it...which is a version of The High and The Mighty.  I know this only through the puckered, whistling lips of Muzzy Marcelino and have never heard the lyrics before.  So it's something of a find.  

The second album on the CD is the one really worth the price, as it is the only one that I have found that has all Gene McDaniels' singles hits on it:  A Hundred Pounds of Clay; Tower of Strength; Chip, Chip; and, of course, the great Point of No Return, which all Haines/Kimlets should know from Guy Haines' stirring rendition.  But it even includes some minor charters of Gene's that I vaguely remember...A Tear, Another Tear Falls, and I Don't Want to Cry (do we detect a lacrymose theme here?).  The last the most interesting and, while not quite up to with his quartet of previously mentioned hits, not bad, not bad at all.

DVDs:  Beyond The Fringe which BK mentioned here a few weeks back and RSC's production of a Winter's Tale starring Anthony Sher.

I bought all this stuff last weekat Ameoba when I was in LA.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »

AMOEBA!!! I only just discovered that incredible store about 2 weeks ago!! Yowza!
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2006, 09:29:46 AM »

DVDs:   RSC's production of a Winter's Tale starring Anthony Sher.

Ooh!  I want it!  I love the play and Anthony Sher's book THE YEAR OF THE KING is fantastic!  I believe I saw Anthony Sher in a video of TARTUFFE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2006, 09:29:48 AM »

I wanna go back when I have a whole day to sight-see.

Vixmom - thanks for the vibes. I do believe in the power of good wishes.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2006, 09:30:35 AM »

Hiya, Elmo!! I would dearly love to go to Artie's with you for some chicken soup... still a bit under the weather...
PennyO

Danise

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »

Does anyone have a copy of the current issue of Backstage?  I heard through the grapevine that Dear Friend Do-Re-Milla Ilieva won one of their Bistro Awards, but they don't have the paper on our newsstand, and it's not mentioned anywhere online.  If anyone has the paper, can you confirm whether it's true before I potentially embarrass myself by congratulating her?

I tryed to do a web search but came up empty handed.  

Good luck on all of your projects DR PennyO.  You know for weeks before the surgery, I kept thinking how wonderful it was going be to just to lay around for 3-6 weeks but after only the one week, I'm ready roll!     I guess when your used to being so busy, it's hard to slow down.

I just came in from getting the mail and what did I find?  A lovely get well card from our very own DR MBarnum!  Thank you so much!  It really made my day!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2006, 09:33:38 AM »

Still waiting to hear from my nephew Travis - who used to spend summers with me up in WA, and who chose U of WA for his undergrad experience - he has been down in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I wonder how it went? Saw lots of footage on the news about the crowds and the parade, and folks streaming in to spend money and have fun and help put the economy on a steadier footing... Can't wait to hear about it from the boy...
PennyO

Danise

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2006, 09:34:31 AM »

Hiya, Elmo!! I would dearly love to go to Artie's with you for some chicken soup... still a bit under the weather...

I'd like some Souther Fried Chicken.  And some potato pancakes.   :D

Gee, was it only a year ago that we were getting ready for the trip to NYC to see DR PennyO's show?  And what a good time was had by all who were there!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »

Pogue - are you well, yet?? I'm still squabbling with my cough. Jeez. I'm probably the worst Sick Person in the world. Just CAN'T STAND IT!! I have been so lucky my whole life to have the most extraordinary radiant robust Good Health - when "it" "fails" I am astounded, angry, bereft, belligerant, bellicose, pugilistic, crazy, cantankerous, whiney, cranky, unfit for company.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2006, 09:42:19 AM »

And embarrassed. For some reason I am embarrassed by my weaknesses - I am very compassionate with others during illnesses and infirmities... but NO PATIENCE have I for any of my own...

Yeah - wouldn't some potato pancakes be a treat right now!! Carbs! Gimme CARBS!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »

My mom, may-she-rest-in-peace, said she didn't consider her fatal lung cancer an illness. Jeez, Mom, then what IS it??? Well, it's a hell of an inconvenience! is what she retorted...
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2006, 09:46:32 AM »

I wish you were here, too!  Artie's without you isn't quite the same, much as I've led many other Hainsies and Kimlets to its delicacies!  Maybe you and Nursie Jane could make an emergency field trip for my health, mental and physical?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2006, 09:46:34 AM »

Danise - yes, was it a whole year ago we were all in Noo Yawk??? At about this time last year, I was finding my publicist a huge nightmare. A huge, disappointing, expensive, exasperating nightmare...
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2006, 09:47:23 AM »

I just came in from getting the mail and what did I find?  A lovely get well card from our very own DR MBarnum!  Thank you so much!  It really made my day!

Are they still letting him write only in crayon?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2006, 09:47:58 AM »

Elmo, got frequent flyer miles, will fly!! Maybe a few days in May or June, when the weather warms up...
PennyO

Danise

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2006, 09:52:35 AM »

Are they still letting him write only in crayon?
:)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2006, 09:55:51 AM »

Looks like HAIRSPRAY at the Luxor in Las Vegas will cut back from a ten-performance week to an eight-performance week starting mid-March.   This seems to be a sensible move on their parts, since from what I understood, they were required to double-cast when there were ten performances but not at eight performances.  But who knows what this will have the wags saying about the Broadway influx to Vegas.

The very nature of the Luxor Hotel is very family-oriented.  I wonder if that makes it hard to keep people-traffic going there for late-night shows on the two-shoe nights.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:59:07 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2006, 10:22:05 AM »

The other day on LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT, I saw Linda Lavin and wondered where my good friend had vanished to.  I just got the sweetest postcard from her.  Last time I saw her was at an Oscar party at her house, around 1999?  98?  It's good to be remembered.

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2006, 10:57:22 AM »

And friend just emailed me that he will meet up with me tomorrow for dirty martinis and interview clothes shopping.

TPunk, this is just me, but I like to wear a nice short sleeve crew neck shirt or sweater (thin) under a suit jacket as a shell.  It's a very clean look. You don't have to worry if the buttons on your shirt are all right etc.  You can dress it up with a necklace or a scarf or not and it still looks fine.

My best advice is to wear something you consider interview worthy AND that you are comfortable in. Nothing looks more like "I don't really belong here" than someone who is wearing "dress up" clothes and is visably uncomfortable in them.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »

Speaking of LADY AND THE TRAMP, I can remember that my mom

LOL  I read this much and said "WHAT!!!" before I read the rest of the sentence and figured it out

I'll blame Mercury....then I'll blame jose

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2006, 11:19:53 AM »

Writing away.  It stopped raining for about an hour, got sunny, now it's raining again, although the sun is really trying to come out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up