Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: VAMPING  (Read 23173 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:VAMPING
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2006, 07:49:17 AM »

As for the performance awards, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Reese Witherspoon seem to have the momentum for Best Actor and Best Actress though I suppose Heath Ledger and Felicity Huffman might surprise and pull off upsets.

Hoffman's is an astonishing impersonation of Capote, but I honestly thought Ledger's creating a character from scratch was pretty astounding, too. If I had a vote, I'd pick Ledger, but I think Hoffman will win.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2006, 07:51:37 AM »

Page Two GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE Dance!!!

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2006, 07:55:06 AM »

Just went to www.oscars.com for the printable list of nominees.  Here are the ones I've seen:

The Constant Gardener
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
March of the Penguins
Memoirs of a Geisha
Star Wars:  Episode III...

DH Richard saw a couple of the others and we have several on our Netflix list, but this has not been much of a movie-going year for us.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2006, 07:57:25 AM »

In the supporting races, momentum seems to be with George Clooney and Rachel Weitz. Both have larger roles than their fellow nominees, so that sometimes helps. I do think Weitz is the most deserving; she makes an indelible impression early in THE CONSTANT GARDENER and then once she's gone, you continue to think about her throughout the movie.

Clooney isn't going to win for Best Director or Best Screenplay, so this may be his consolation prize plus he's gotten very good reviews for his SYRIANA work.

However, I'm thinking Paul Giamatti might sneak in here for CINDERELLA MAN. Giamatti failed to get nominated the previous two years for either AMERICAN SPLENDOR or SIDEWAYS, both of which shocked much of Hollywood, so this may be payback time for him, and we all know the Oscars quite often work that way (witness the undeserved wins for Elizabeth Taylor in BUTTERFIELD 8 or Al Pacino in SCENT OF A WOMAN to name just two examples).

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2006, 08:00:27 AM »

So here are my predictions and my own personal choices:

Predictions:

Best Picture - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Best Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress - Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor - Paul Giamatti
Best Supporting Actress - Rachel Weitz
Best Director - Ang Lee

My own personal choices:

Best Picture - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Best Actor - Heath Ledger
Best Actress - Felicity Huffman
Best Supporting Actor - Jake Gyllanhaal
Best Supporting Actress - Rachel Weitz
Best Director - Ang Lee

FJL

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2006, 08:02:45 AM »

It Is sort of interesting from a lawsuit strategy perspective that the producers of CRASH who felt wronged by the other producers seemed to have waited until after all the Oscar voters ballots were in to officially file their complaints.  (Or did I misread the news on that? In any event, the NY Times didn't carry the big story about it until after the ballot deadline.)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2006, 08:03:01 AM »

I thought Hoffman went far beyond an "impersonation." I was expecting an impersonation and got something of far more nuance. Ledger was great though. I thought David Straitharn amazing as well.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2006, 08:05:06 AM »

I have only seen BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN and GOOD NIGHT, GOOD LUCK...but hope to see either CAPOTE or TRANSAMERICA today. I would like to see David Strathairn win best actor and Jake Gyllenhall for best supporting actor...just from what films I have seen...how they compare to the ones I didin't see I have no idea....either way it will be fun to watch tomorrow night and I will be happy for all the winners...and happy that for once I got out and saw some of the films up for nomination!

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2006, 08:06:29 AM »

I am now eating breakfast. That is all.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2006, 08:10:47 AM »

I had a bow of Cheerios for breakfast, but I just made myself a pan of scrambled eggs.  Yummmm--real food sure is good!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2006, 08:10:52 AM »

DR JRand, I read this morning something that will interest you and something that you asked about a few weeks ago.

The next release of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN will pair the episodes from Season 3 AND Season 4. This release is slated for June. There were 13 episodes filmed for each of those two seasons (all in color).

Even though the color shows are more juvenile than the earlier black and white years, there are still some very entertaiuning shows in this set including "Geat Caesar's Ghost," "The Lucky Cat," "The Seven Souvenirs," "Jimmy the Kid," "The Girl Who Hired Superman," the Joi Lansing-starring "The Wedding of SUperman," and my favorite "Dagger Island."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2006, 08:11:48 AM »

TOD:

I agree with all of DR Matt's Oscar predictions with the exception of Supporting Actor--I think Clooney will win that one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 08:12:25 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2006, 08:13:12 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR PANNI  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2006, 08:13:27 AM »

I thought Hoffman went far beyond an "impersonation." I was expecting an impersonation and got something of far more nuance. Ledger was great though. I thought David Straitharn amazing as well.

Of course he did; I didn't mean to imply that the mimickry is all there is to his performance. But he did have the original as a jumping off point. That's all I meant.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2006, 08:15:27 AM »

I just ate some cereal that MBarnum introduced me to when he was out here: FiberOne. I mix it with cinnamon Life.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2006, 08:18:58 AM »

It Is sort of interesting from a lawsuit strategy perspective that the producers of CRASH who felt wronged by the other producers seemed to have waited until after all the Oscar voters ballots were in to officially file their complaints.  (Or did I misread the news on that? In any event, the NY Times didn't carry the big story about it until after the ballot deadline.)

There has been so much talk of CRASH coming from behind and winning the award (BROKEBACK has won far and away more Best Pic awards from various groups than CRASH) that I think the "wronged" producers simply now think the picture might win and want a piece of the pie.

CRASH winning the SAG award for Best Ensemble acting is what started all this talk of an upset. However, SIDEWAYS won the Best Ensemble last year over MILLION DOLLAR BABY, yet BABY went on to win the Oscar.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2006, 08:20:30 AM »

I'm not sure she'll see it, but I do want to wish former DR Panni the heartiest of happy birthdays!!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2006, 08:25:28 AM »

That FiberOne is very good for you DR Rodzinski! LOL!

While eating my bowl of Kellog's ALL BRAN (boy, aren't we all getting old!) I spent 25.00 on Ebay!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2006, 08:26:13 AM »

My Happy Birthday wishes to DR Panni, also! Hope you have a great day out there!!

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2006, 08:27:20 AM »

Well, I promised myself I would start cleaning the home environment today...and I meant it! So I guess after this last cup of java that I shall commence to cleaning.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2006, 08:31:27 AM »

Of course he did; I didn't mean to imply that the mimickry is all there is to his performance. But he did have the original as a jumping off point. That's all I meant.

Well, I don't know many actors aside from Rich Little who would take "impersonation" as a compliment. But what's interesting is the question of whether it is easier to play a role based on a known historical entity or create the character "from scratch."

In a way, Hoffman had more work cut out because he had to overcome people's preconceived notions of Capote to build his performance. He had to worry about taking it beyond the realm of imitation into something more. Higher risk, if you ask me. People can easily say, "That's not how Capote was," or "That's an imitation." Ledger didn't have that particular challenge.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2006, 08:32:50 AM »

I noticed that DOGVILLE is three hours long. Don't know if I'll get to it this afternoon or not. Might have to save it for tonight since there's nothing on I care to see.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2006, 08:33:01 AM »

PS: I would really like to see CRASH, but it doesn't seem to be showing in the vicinity of Salem, Oregon at this time.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2006, 08:33:24 AM »

And for those who missed it last night, NBC is rerunning the pilot episode of CONVICTION tonight at 10 (EST).

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2006, 08:33:47 AM »

That FiberOne is very good for you DR Rodzinski! LOL!

When are they coming out with the sequel? FiberTwo?

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »

PS: I would really like to see CRASH, but it doesn't seem to be showing in the vicinity of Salem, Oregon at this time.

It's out on DVD already if that makes a difference to you.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2006, 08:40:30 AM »

In a way, Hoffman had more work cut out because he had to overcome people's preconceived notions of Capote to build his performance. He had to worry about taking it beyond the realm of imitation into something more. Higher risk, if you ask me. People can easily say, "That's not how Capote was," or "That's an imitation." Ledger didn't have that particular challenge.

Since most people never had a chance to know the real Capote, I don't think that's a viable argument. We remember him now from MURDER BY DEATH mostly (made more than 15 years after the events of CAPOTE) in which he's "supposedly" acting someone not himself. Otherwise, it's vague recollections of a half-drugged writer on talk shows that don't get repeated much. In fact, I had younger friends who didn't even know who Capote was at all, so to them, his acting choices including looks, mannerisms, and vocal pitch were as much an acting choice as Ledger's.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 08:41:07 AM by Matt H. »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2006, 08:41:04 AM »

MBarnum!
Major Bollywood soundtrack downloads here...
http://lellebelle.blogspot.com/

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2006, 08:46:41 AM »

Need to think about prepping lunch in a second along with some other household chores that need tending to.

WBBL.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2006, 09:04:21 AM »

Now I'm not sure what you're saying, MattH, because originally you called it an astonishing impersonation, vs. Ledger's astonishing creating something from scratch. Now you're saying that Capote is not well-known enough for that to matter. (Despite the fact there was a long-running Broadway and touring play that gave renewed life to his persona and mannerisms).

The Capote persona is well-known to many, his mannerisms are so strong, there is every chance they could overwhelm any attempt to create a character.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up