Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A CONVENTIONAL DITHER  (Read 53434 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:A CONVENTIONAL DITHER
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2006, 01:59:35 PM »

Yep, my third cousin Charlie Duke was one of the Apollo astronauts, and it was his chicken pox/measles (I've forgotten which) which prevented Ken Mattingley from taking part in the Apopllo 13 moon mission.

All of this is lovingly presented in Ron Howard's APOLLO 13.

And in Tom Hank's  HBO series From Here to The Moon as well, unless I am misremebering (is that even a word?)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2006, 02:00:44 PM »

And here we are on page 5

Moon Walk  in honor of MattH's third cousin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2006, 02:21:39 PM »

I don't know of any real people who became characters....they were already.

JMK said something about being very busy...a few weeks ago, but he said he also reads the posts.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »

Re: last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

Then DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Very funny episode, just loaded with funny, witty, bitchy lines, and some melodrama, too. Really enjoyed it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Some of it was funny.  Some of it was over the top.

The thing with Bree's son was sort of amusing.  And you just knew she was going to find a way to beat him.  I was sort of happy that they dealt with the drinking issue.  But then sort of annoyed that she wasn't really sincere about AA.  I'm wondering if since she is going, if they will drop this storyline. Or will it continue?

I'm not sure where the adoption for Gabby and Carlos will go (if they'll actually get a baby).  I suppose it was sort of funny to see lawnguy's mother working at the adoption place.  But sort of annoying that she would blacklist them.  I mean, it might have been funny if there issues had come out on their own.

Lynnette and hubby. I'm not sure i think this storyline is so funny.  When Gabrielle and carlos have marital problems it is hilarious since they are both over the top. BUt I think lynnette seems more real. And i don't really enjoy watching all their fights.

And susan and the nurse, and the doctor ... well that whole operating thing, was pretty unrealistic. BUt amusing. Her blurting out that stuff about mike and then having him supposedly operate on her ... Very over the top.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2006, 03:19:43 PM »

I ate Taco Bell for lunch - quite good but now I want to plotz.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »

Good Afternoon! Good Evening!

Back from Alvin Ailey.  Well, at least studio LLC in the Alvin Ailey complex.  It was an interesting hour of "work" - well, more like 15 minutes, but I sort of had an inkling that it was going to be one of those gigs where I was going to be sitting around a lot, waiting.  In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »

BK - Christianne Noll was also in Studio LLC at Alvin Ailey.  She sends her love.  I also happened to mention that you were now teaching at LACC, and would be starting a cabaret series there this summer.  She'll be calling you soon.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »

Oh...

NOTE TO SELF:  The next time I think I should go ahead and bring the score for the show for which I'll be playing auditions, then I should bring the score.

:-\

*There's nothing like faking your way through a couple of numbers since the casting agency did not bring a piano/vocal score with them.  Thankfully(?), they did have a copy of the vocal book.  However, having to fake through a couple of numbers while a very prominent director, a choreographer, musical supervisor and a team of producers are sitting behind the table is/was not my idea of a "good time".  -Well... Lestat starts on Thursday.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »

I just got confirmation it was sent out Saturday, so it should arrive tomorrow.

All right, class:  Raise your hand if your remember when there were two (2) mail deliveries a day.

Thank You, DR WFO.

I was actually expecting your mail to arrive tomorrow, but I was supposed to receive a corrected W-2 from one of my gigs last year.  I guess tomorrow will be my mail day.

*And I do remember when mail came twice a day.  And I also remember having to make two trips a day down to the mail room when I was clerking at Coast Guard HQ since the building received two deliveries a day.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2006, 03:58:22 PM »

Bruce had Toco Bell, we had El Cholo's-oh so good!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2006, 03:59:41 PM »

Well... I think I need some chocolate and/or ice cream...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00:55 PM »

I wish I had time to read all the posts and catch up, however, my brother in-law wants his computer back.

We are doing the usual in LA, eating way too much and going from family activity to family activity.

Last night I held a dear friends brand new grand-baby. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2006, 04:01:20 PM »

OH!  Very strange thing just happened.  I was Page Forwarding and Page Backwarding and ended getting a HHW Error Page with the word "Hacker?" on it.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »

We had Carvel's the other night!!

This mouse is backwards-very annoying.

vixmom

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »

Hello Jane!!! Have a wonderful trip.  Will you be in town long enought to get to BK's play or must you run home again right away?

vixmom

« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2006, 04:05:33 PM »

OH!  Very strange thing just happened.  I was Page Forwarding and Page Backwarding and ended getting a HHW Error Page with the word "Hacker?" on it.

???

I 've had that happen to me as well.  It seemed odd - what was I supposed to do if I was a hacker?  Type  'yes'?

Jane

« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2006, 04:05:55 PM »

I wish I had time to read all the posts and catch up, however, my brother in-law wants his computer back.

We are doing the usual in LA, eating way too much and going from family activity to family activity.

Last night I held a dear friends brand new grand-baby. ;D

Jane

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2006, 04:06:21 PM »

Goodness, I thought the play was over.  Was it extended again?

Jane

« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2006, 04:06:40 PM »

Vixmom is it too late to order cookies?

vixmom

« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2006, 04:09:11 PM »

I almost had Baja Grill for lunch today but the group of ladies in front of me on line were dithering so much I lost patience and went back to the office wher I made myself a peanutbutterandjellysammich.  (I have an emergecy jar of peanut butter in my desk draw and emergency jar of grape jelly  in the company fridge and an emergency loaf of bread in the freezer.  We former Girl Scouts like to be prepared  

Jane

« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »

We are staying at a nice DoubleTree in Santa Monica, near the beach and the Promenade.  This morning we had a nice walk when suddenly the life guard trucks went racing along the beach with their sirens on, followed by the Santa Monica police, then fire trucks and on it went.  

I admit we walked back torward the action.  By then helicopters were in the air and multiple boats in the water.  We are just relieved we had originally walked the direction we did and not the other way, otherwise we would have seen a small plane crash into the ocean.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2006, 04:13:32 PM »

I have to go.  Vixmom, if it isn't too late-don't worry if it is-please order me two boxes, one samoa and one peanut butter sandwich ones.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2006, 04:31:02 PM »

Speaking of out gay characters in theater, OUT Magazine a year or two ago had an interview with Tommy Tune in which he said his character in SEESAW was the first openly gay character ever in a musical. I wrote them a letter correcting that assertion pointing out both Lee Roy Reams' character in APPLAUSE and Rene Aberjonois' character in COCO were gay. They refused to reprint a retraction and said they stood by Mr. Tune's assertion that his character was the first one.
That sounds very much like what Out would do, another example of fine journalism.

:P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_nf_vote/text/0,,FOOD_20356_43016,00.html

Now this is a fun reality show....The Next Food Star...lol  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2006, 04:33:41 PM »

And then I'll hop on down to the Recording Office and help out DR elmore with some deciphering.  Then a break in the afternoon before heading to the Alvin Ailey building for a one hour work-through of The King & I with the producer of the upcoming Asia tour of that show. And then...

Oh, Jose, please tell me you are going to play Anna!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2006, 04:41:33 PM »

..I wrote them a letter correcting that assertion pointing out both Lee Roy Reams' character in APPLAUSE and Rene Aberjonois' character in COCO were gay....
And I just remembered, Russel Paxton (originally played by Danny Kaye) in Lady in the Dark is often referred to as "flamboyant."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »

Oh, Jose, please tell me you are going to play Anna!

Alas, I'm not playing Anna.  However, I am still in the running for both Tuptim and Lady Thiang.

:P

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »

I had pizza for dinner.  I never have pizza for dinner on Mondays.  I feel like I've crossed some kind of line.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »

I think one of the first Gay characters I remember seeing was Michael in The Boys in the Band. I, too, had that two record, four sided album and knew much of it by heart. Even though it was a rather sad and unpleasant depection of Gay men, I still like the show. I almost played Donald in a production in 1981. The opening and closing scenes with Michael are great fun to do. After the opening and before the end Donald is practically mute in the rest of the show but those two scenes are worth playing the role.

I think two of the first positive Gay character portrayls I remember seeing were Jeff Daniels and Richard Thomas in Fifth of July. I loved that show!

Did Richard Thomas also play the role on Broadway or just in the filmed version of the play?  I seem to remember seeing Christopher Reeve in the role on Broadway, but he may not have been the first.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_nf_vote/text/0,,FOOD_20356_43016,00.html

Now this is a fun reality show....The Next Food Star...lol  

What's so "lol"?

;)

It's actually the second season of this show.  It's interesting to say the least, and it offers nice behind-the-scenes look at the Food Network studios which are housed in the same building as Chelsea Market.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up