Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A CONVENTIONAL DITHER  (Read 53438 times)

Ben

Re:A CONVENTIONAL DITHER
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2006, 12:47:53 PM »

I'll get us to Page 5 yet!

Ben

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »

And here we are. Welcome.

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2006, 12:50:11 PM »

Excellent reference work, DR Ben!  My caller was satisfied with the info about Betty Hutton and Bing Crosby and Here Come the Waves, which I found in The Great Song Thesaurus.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2006, 12:52:37 PM »

My calendar says that next Monday (March 20) will be INTERNATIONAL SPEAKERS OF FRENCH DAY.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2006, 12:56:17 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm just back at my apartment for a very brief stop - I had to come back to fetch a piece of mail that might have come in today.  

I just got confirmation it was sent out Saturday, so it should arrive tomorrow.

All right, class:  Raise your hand if your remember when there were two (2) mail deliveries a day.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2006, 01:00:03 PM »

Anybody heard from Tomovoz lately?

SYDNEY, Australia - Police charged an Australian driver with "reversing further than necessary" after he traveled backward for more than 40 kilometers (25 miles) along one of the country's busiest highways.

Police said the man was stopped on the Hume Highway — which runs between the cities of Sydney and Melbourne — at Benalla, about 200 kilometers northeast of Melbourne.

Police said the man told them reverse was the only gear in the car that worked and that he was traveling home to the small regional town of Numurkah, 90 kilometers (56 miles) farther on his way.

He was also charged with unlicensed driving and driving an unregistered car and is to appear in court later this year.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2006, 01:00:53 PM »

Excellent reference work, DR Ben!  My caller was satisfied with the info about Betty Hutton and Bing Crosby and Here Come the Waves, which I found in The Great Song Thesaurus.

Not to be confused with The Great Thongasaurous, my upcoming speculative novel about what really wiped out the dinosaurs.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2006, 01:01:15 PM »

A question for Tom of Oz. I see by my calendar that it is Eight Hour Day in Tasmania. What is Eight Hour Day?

It's also Labour Day in Victoria and next Monday it will be Canberra Day.
Yes it was a holiday for us here and in Tasmania. Eight hour day - the eight hour day of work! Labour day is much the same.  Thanks to the Unions of the last century we were able to achieve the 8 hour day as a worker's right. The 40 hour working week.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »

from DR FJL
Re:THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE
« Reply #193 on: Today at 00:06:44 »  

And who can forget Lehman Engel's expression for when the sentiment would be laid on too thick.  IIRC, he called it "piling Damon upon Pythias

I certainly can't!  I can remember him taking a puff on his cigar ("The finest Havana."  "Where can you get them?"  "Anywhere--if they know you.")  and looking around the room to see who was erudite enough to get the joke.
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2006, 01:07:45 PM »

Debbie - I did drive to Benalla three weeks ago! But not in reverse. I not been to Numurkah since 1973.

Strange for a Sydney report! Sydney (New South Wales) police would not have been involved!!

The old Hume Highway in fact has very little traffic as it has been bypassed by a major freeway for quite a few years.  I suspect there are too many "IFS" etc in the story as reported.  (But I can believe it would happen!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2006, 01:09:31 PM »

And btb (by the bye in Internet Lingo) when is somebody going to write the Lehman Engel biography?  Hopefully before all his students whor remember such little stories are gone and buried.
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »

Speaking of out gay characters in theater, OUT Magazine a year or two ago had an interview with Tommy Tune in which he said his character in SEESAW was the first openly gay character ever in a musical. I wrote them a letter correcting that assertion pointing out both Lee Roy Reams' character in APPLAUSE and Rene Aberjonois' character in COCO were gay. They refused to reprint a retraction and said they stood by Mr. Tune's assertion that his character was the first one.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2006, 01:14:38 PM »

Not to be confused with The Great Thongasaurous, my upcoming speculative novel about what really wiped out the dinosaurs.

Are you supporting the theory that our DR Jose wearing a thong is responsible for the extinction of Dinah Shore?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »

SYDNEY, Australia - Police charged an Australian driver with "reversing further than necessary" after he traveled backward for more than 40 kilometers (25 miles) along one of the country's busiest highways

When my Joe and I were young and reckless, his car's transmission went kablooey on the way to Cape Cod, and we managed to get it to a garage in Providence, RI.  They gave us a ride to a rent-a-car off in the boondocks.  Then we had to get back to the garage for our luggage.

Joe got to downtown Providence, found the right street, but it was one-way in the wrong direction, so he proceeded to head in the right direction and "just back up a little"--thirteen blocks.

They told us it actually had been a two-way street for the last 10 blocks of our ride.
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2006, 01:15:54 PM »

And btb (by the bye in Internet Lingo) when is somebody going to write the Lehman Engel biography?  Hopefully before all his students whor remember such little stories are gone and buried.

Well, there was an Engel bio; THIS BRIGHT DAY is the title, if I remember correctly.  It's buried on a shelf here somewhere.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2006, 01:16:10 PM »

Thanks to all you dear DRs for the good wishes. I'll let you know what the verdict is as soon as I know something. It will be later in the week, I suspect.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2006, 01:19:59 PM »

I read with sadness about the passing of Maureen Stapleton. She was super in that first episode of PLAZA SUITE. It would have been wonderful to see her play the other two characters from the second and third parts as she did on Broadway (not that there was anything wrong with the performances of Barbara Harris and Lee Grant in the movie). Was glad when she finally won that overdue Oscar for REDS. She won the big three during her career - Oscar, Emmy, and Tony.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »

I FINALLY got the shipping notice for HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE. Also got the shipping notice for the Miss Marple collection, TEN LITTLE INDIANS, and the third season of MURDER SHE WROTE. So, I'll have a BUNCH of DVDs come Wednesday!

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2006, 01:22:32 PM »

Came home and watched two programs from last night. First up was LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT.

A couple of Broadway babies guest starring last night: Matthew Morrison and Michael Barrisse. Malcolm McDowall was also the main guest star.

One of the best episodes of the season for the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »

Then DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Very funny episode, just loaded with funny, witty, bitchy lines, and some melodrama, too. Really enjoyed it.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2006, 01:24:58 PM »

Finished up the afternoon continuing with MRS. PARKER AND THE VICIOUS CIRCLE. Got through the introduction of Matthew Broderick as Charles MacArthur and the beginning of the affair with Dorothy Parker.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »

I'll be watching THE SOPRANOS later this evening before network TV takes over. Looking forward to that. I've been dodging spoilers about last night's show all day long.

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2006, 01:31:24 PM »

I miss JMK

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »

What about you m'dear?

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2006, 01:33:05 PM »

.When my Joe and I were young and reckless, his car's transmission went kablooey on the way to Cape Cod, and we managed to get it to a garage in Providence, RI.  They gave us a ride to a rent-a-car off in the boondocks.  Then we had to get back to the garage for our luggage.

Joe got to downtown Providence, found the right street, but it was one-way in the wrong direction, so he proceeded to head in the right direction and "just back up a little"--thirteen blocks.

They told us it actually had been a two-way street for the last 10 blocks of our ride.

i miss all the good trips

Cillaliz

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2006, 01:33:07 PM »

Facts in Five was great fun although it makes you search your brain for minutia. It's a cross between trivia and actual knowledge. Things like knowing flowers that begin with P and knowing enough of them that you can pick an obscure one because if someone else chooses the one you have, both of you must cross it off your list.

And yes, the walking taco was too good! And for dessert we had Toll House semi-sweet chocolate chips! Umm, umm good  ;D

We played Facts in Five a lot when I was a kid...or however old I was when the bookshelf game of it came out

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2006, 01:38:52 PM »

Well, there was an Engel bio; THIS BRIGHT DAY is the title, if I remember correctly.  It's buried on a shelf here somewhere.

Well, that was his autobiography.  Some fun name-dropping and stories like when he would always wear perfumed handkerchiefs in the front pocket of his army uniform.   :D

Then there is A Class Act.  I find it rather weird that I have known a character in a musical personally.  Of course, Lehman is also a character in the film Cradle Will Rock.

And my undergraduate physics professor was Richard Feyman, who has been played by Matthew Broderick on film and Alan Alda on stage.

Question:  Have others known people who later became characters in works of art?  Discuss at length.
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »

Question:  Have others known people who later became characters in works of art?  Discuss at length.

Yep, my third cousin Charlie Duke was one of the Apollo astronauts, and it was his chicken pox/measles (I've forgotten which) which prevented Ken Mattingley from taking part in the Apopllo 13 moon mission.

All of this is lovingly presented in Ron Howard's APOLLO 13.

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2006, 01:56:56 PM »

Well, that was his autobiography.  Some fun name-dropping and stories like when he would always wear perfumed handkerchiefs in the front pocket of his army uniform.   :D

Then there is A Class Act.  I find it rather weird that I have known a character in a musical personally.  Of course, Lehman is also a character in the film Cradle Will Rock.

And my undergraduate physics professor was Richard Feyman, who has been played by Matthew Broderick on film and Alan Alda on stage.

Well there's Rodzinski of course.....

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2006, 01:56:59 PM »

I'm heading down a little earlier than usual to get the dining room cleaned so I can settle in with last night's SOPRANOS before network TV begins tonight.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up