Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UNTITLED  (Read 53108 times)

Ginny

Re:UNTITLED
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »

As a rule, I don't read a lot of short stories, but on my list would be stories by

1)Fredric Brown
2)Harlan Ellison
3) Conan Doyle (Sherlock)

TOD - I've been having trouble thinking of specific titles, but if I may answer in the style of DR Charles Pogue, I'd say those by:

Gail Godwin
Barbara Kingsolver
Alice Munro
Susan Vreeland
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2006, 03:21:43 PM »

GOOD NEWS:  The painkillers have now taken effect.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam, did I tell you I'll be in San Francisco from Memorial Day until the Saturday after (June 3, I think).  I'm flying in and out of Oakland but staying in SF.  Will you be around that week?

I'm certain of it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2006, 03:26:32 PM »

But I would say that my very favorite short stories would have to be in that new collection by Bruce Kimmel (available at your favorite bookstore sometime this fall)

Can't wait for this!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2006, 03:28:42 PM »

DR Ginny - I can't remember if I replied to you yet...

I'm so glad you and your niece enjoyed the show.

:)

Yes, DR Jose, Lauren and I loved the show.  Richard and Rob, for whom I was afraid there'd be too much "girl power,"  enjoyed it, too.

Yesterday, a teenage girl asked at our reference desk for the sheet music to "The Wizard and I."  We had a nice conversation about the show.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »

And is DR MattH in "wibble" mode??  As in "WBBL"?

I always picture him "wibbling" along on a "Wibbler".

.....but he won't fall down!
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »

.....but he won't fall down!

...that's because he doesn't have any painkillers.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2006, 03:54:24 PM »

Yesterday, Jrand was mentioning the late actor, Kevin Coughlin.  Many years ago, I read a rather disturbing story in some magazine regarding Hollywood homophobia in the Sixties and Seventies. Part of the article talked about the making of the film THE GAY DECEIVERS, which when this article came out was not even available on video.  There was supposedly, at the time, a meeting between Kevin Coughlin and some "un-named" Hollywood honcho; where Mr. Coughlin was basically told, that if he appered in that movie that he would "never work in this town again."

Although not completely true, THE GAY DECEIVERS did basically spell the end of Kevin Coughlin's rising star in Hollywood.  Also, his death seven years later, by a hit-and-run driver was supposedly cloaked in mystery

Interesting!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:55:40 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »

I'm certain of it.

Cool! My meetings will be Wednesday and Thursday all day and Friday Morning. So that leaves Monday late afternoon (Memorial Day) , all day Tuesday, Friday afternoon and pretty much all of the evenings.  Let's plan to get together sometime during that time, ok?

Cillaliz

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »

I'm trying to decide if I want to go to THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES tonight.  I have a ticket, but am not feeling up to par and am thinking it would be better for me to stay home and rest

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2006, 04:24:35 PM »

"Let's go flying, Will!"

Looks like we may have Susan Egan for our cabaret series.  Cool beans.  I'm just waiting for her confirmation of date.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2006, 04:29:14 PM »

Got a call this morning from Harvey Schmidt's assistant, the lovely John Schak.  Harvey has been having some real health issues the last two months (I spoke to him last week and he sent me a signed musical quote for the STAGE silent auction) - Friday he had an angiogram and they found several blocked arteries - yesterday he went into the hospital (with Texas' finest doctor) and had a triple bypass.  Patient came through just fine and will be released from the hospital end of week.  He's doing well, and healing well, and this will hopefully keep him healthy and happy for years to come.  So, let's send all our excellent vibes and xylophones to my darling Harvey Schmidt - I'll be speaking to him early next week and will tell him.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2006, 04:31:40 PM »

Holy moley on rye - did I even realize that I'd passed 18,000 posts, my new plateau?  I'm so senile I can't remember.

I'm glad some of you are looking forward to the short stories.  I must say they were thoroughly fun to write.  Does seven sound like a good number, or should I write three more to make it ten (I wouldn't do eight or nine, don't like those numbers) - I don't know that I feel like writing three more, though, and I'm happy with the ones I've got, so, I think maybe it will be seven.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »

I got some new BVDs in the mail today -- "Jarhead," "Orchestra Wives", "House of Bamboo", "The Harvey Girls" and "Broadways Lost Treasures: III."

Myself, I'm waiting for the BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN BVDs.  I'll pass on the CAPOTE ones, though.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2006, 04:35:10 PM »

Myself, I'm waiting for the BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN BVDs.  I'll pass on the CAPOTE ones, though.

ew

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »

Should I or shouldn't I.....I have about 10 minutes to decide...

Cillaliz

« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2006, 04:50:56 PM »

hmm, I'm catching a cold, it's cold outside and my foot hurts....think I'll stay home where it's warm and cozy.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »

I've been good on my diet today. I made a trip to the grocery store and stocked up on fruits, veges and healthy stuff. Plus when I went to the doctor I had to step on the scale....I am definitely on a diet.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »

In honor of Cillaliz and Will-a-mania, let's have a chorus of CILLA-MANIA.

The joke no one could get enough of when WILL ROGERS FOLLIES was on Bway was whether Will-a-mania was about Will Rogers or Willa Kim, the costume designer.  If I had a dollar for every time I heard that joke the month after the show opened, I'd have about fifty dollars.

FJL

« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2006, 05:23:06 PM »

The March 15th corporate tax rush is officially over for this tax season.  Only did two returns today, but one of them was a lollapalooza (sp?).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2006, 05:51:20 PM »

Good evening!  I'm back from my monthly music librarians' dinner to which I invited both DRs Jose and Jason but neither showed.  Again.  Much dish and many goodies in the form of CD and DVD were passed around.  Next month the orchestra tracks for a cast album of WHITE CHRISTMAS will be laid down in London, the 50th anniversary of MY FAIR LADY will have a new edition of score and orchestra parts soon, as will OLIVER! which is not celebrating a 50th anything yet, and I learned other things I cannot repeat.  Yet.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2006, 06:03:07 PM »

I'm thinkin' tonight might be a good night for a Jacuzzi.

I'm also debating whether to go out and buy Good Night and Good Luck or to order it from amazon.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2006, 06:19:58 PM »

Tonight is a SWELL night for a jacuzzi...
PennyO

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »

Hi all.  I had a great day today- Rodzinski and I were on spring break.  My university spring break is all this week- I am supposed to take the week off from both classes and my internship.  But rather than miss a week with my kids, I am going to take my time off when the NYC public school are on spring break in April.  So today was my one day off.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2006, 06:32:24 PM »

Rodzinski called out to work and we slept in until 10:30.  We had a late breakfast at a neighborhood diner and then took a scenic ride on the bus down to the Metropolitan Museum of Art- I had never been before.

After the museum, we went across town to the upper west side where we shopped around a bit and then had a drink.  We ended the evening at Homer's Donut Lounge were we noshed on turkey burgers and turkey dogs topped with chili, french fries and onion rings.  We played air hockey and video games and were told by the waiter on our way out to please take as many donuts home with us as we liked- they were complimentary.

I do believe I have found heaven.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2006, 06:32:59 PM »

A lovely and relaxing day.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2006, 06:33:48 PM »

MattH, regarding one of your posts yesterday.  I had absolutely no idea that Anita Morris had passed away.  My sister and I grew up loving her in the movie Ruthless People.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2006, 06:43:27 PM »

MattH, regarding one of your posts yesterday.  I had absolutely no idea that Anita Morris had passed away.  My sister and I grew up loving her in the movie Ruthless People.

Anita was the best friend of the mother of my goddaughter, Dona D Vaughn.  She was a beautiful lady.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2006, 06:47:11 PM »

J'ACCUZZI - that's the title of my next short story, about the wild secret life of Emile Zola
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up