Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: RELAXATION TIME  (Read 66386 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RELAXATION TIME
« on: March 15, 2006, 12:31:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were relaxing, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just getting a little relaxation time in, too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 12:04:00 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:RELAXATION TIME
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:33:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHALYNX!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:35:32 AM »

Has Dakota Celt disappeared?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:45:46 AM »

~~~Continued Vibes and Xylophones for OotDPBKK (that's "One of the Dearest People BK Knows" in HHW Lingo) Mr. Harvey Schmidt!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:49:29 AM »

I've caught up with all of yesterday's posts.  Isn't that thrilling news? ;)

When I left for work yesterday evening, I went to Fred Meyer's to see if they had a light coat that I might want to buy (I really need a new coat that's not a big, heavy winter coat).  Sadly, I couldn't find one, so I bought a couple of new shirts.  One of them is green, in anticipation of this Friday's St. Patrick's Day!  And since my middle name is Patrick and I'm part Irish, it's quite appropriate. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 01:32:01 AM »

Yesterday, I received a DVD in the mail:  Banned & Censored.  Fortunately, I actually ordered it. ;)  Anyway, it says on the back:

Just what was the Hayes Office up to in the '30s and '40s when they Banned and Censored hundreds of films.  Now see many of the cartoons which were censored and banned, at the time, from theaters and television with a full description of why, and copies of the laws and resolutions which made the screen safe for America.  Enjoy 13 full-lengh, fully restored, and sound enhanced animated examples.

There's a bonus section that explains why each cartoon was banned.  A lot of them contain racial stereotypes, one contains "homosexual overtones" and one cartoon even has a baby saying, "Ah sh*t!"

George

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 01:42:53 AM »

It's very interesting to see these cartoons and to learn and see why they were banned.  I noticed Mel Blanc doing voices on a couple of the cartoons.  One WWII cartoon with the character of Snafu (who sound a lot like Bugs Bunny) did a bit that was used later in a Road Runner cartoon.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 01:44:41 AM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 03:36:44 AM »

Goodmorning. - Good night DR Ben.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 03:39:56 AM »

Good morning Tom.

Quiet morning here in New York.

No questions at this point but then it's 6:42am so maybe I'll have something later.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »

TOD:

Your favorite Harvey Schmidt composition?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:36:14 AM »

Good vibes to Mr Harvey Schmidt!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 04:37:04 AM »

DR RODZINSKI - I have not heard HAPPY TIME, and it was a troubled show from what you can read in THE SEASON, but a few DR's chose it last week as one of their favorites scores from flop shows....or something like that.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 04:38:34 AM »

Hmmm.....I must ponder my question.

Like DRMATTH - I like the Bing Crosby DVD with JUST FOR YOU and HERE COMES THE GROOM...and like DR MATTH, I like JUST FOR YOU better.  My favorite number (I like them all) is Zing a Little Zong (Wyman & Crosby) - and their are also nice performances from Natalie Wood and Ethel Barrymore.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 04:38:43 AM »

And Robert Arthur.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 04:55:19 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yes, add me to the HAPPY TIME list; I think it's a glorious score filled with nostalgia and great tunes:  the combination of the "St Pierre" school song with "I Don't Remember You" is truly moving.  In 1979, I was lucky to see the Goodspeed revival which was wonderful:  the authors went back to the original pre-Gower Champion book and either wrote or restored two or three cut songs which tied things together,like a song for the photographer called "Running" (?) which used a motif from Michael Rupert's song "Stay."  The original show made Goulet a successful photographer, and this version of the show revealed it was all empty boasting.  I think it's a vastly underappreciated Kander & Ebb piece.

DR Jose, the pit at the Palace, which once held around 30 players can only hold 15 now?  Isn't that pathetic?  Your show was discussed at dinner.

DR MBarnum, I prefer both Keel and the cast in SEVEN BRIDES; Kathryn Grayson in KISS ME, KATE sets my teeth on edge.

TOD:  I may have questions later.  Yes, I may.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 05:23:34 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, and I'll be wending my way down to Times Square in a little bit.  But in the meantime...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 05:26:39 AM »

DR Jose, the pit at the Palace, which once held around 30 players can only hold 15 now?  Isn't that pathetic?  Your show was discussed at dinner.

Well... If you look into the pit of the Winter Garden where Mamma Mia! is currently in residence, it's actually quite a tight fit there too.  And there's only nine people in there!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 05:29:10 AM »

~~~~GOOD HEALTH AND SPEEDY RECOVERY VIBES GOING OUT TO MR. HARVEY SCHMIDT~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 05:38:32 AM »

Well... If you look into the pit of the Winter Garden where Mamma Mia! is currently in residence, it's actually quite a tight fit there too.  And there's only nine people in there!

The Winter Garden pit held 26-27 for FOLLIES!  Isn't that pathetic?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 05:40:11 AM »

Oh, yes... As for the "Deep Fried Chip Butty"...  After I was done at The Palace, I ended up getting a call from my friend, James, who ended up having to stay a bit after his usual 6:00 clock-out time.  "Dinner? My treat?"  -Sure.  So...

The other week, I had told him about the Chip Shop over in Brooklyn, and he was intrigued, so we hopped on the N and then the R and headed over to Park Slope.  Once we got there, we ended up loading our table with all sorts of deep-fried goodness: Fried Macaroni & Cheese, Fish & Chips, and the aforementioned Deep Fried Chip Butty.  Well...

I wasn't all that interested in a Deep Fried Chip Butty, since a regular, non-deep-fried Chip Butty is a piece of buttered toast with Chips (french fries) on top.  However, once James saw it on the menu - and after I had told him what it was - he just had to order it.  And, heck, it was only $4.00, so... When the waiter came to take our order, he asked, "Are you sure?"  -Well, yes.  "It's quite a large dish.".  -Well, OK.

When it came to the table, we both started laughing.  It was about seven inches square and our inches thick.  And it was what it was: a thick slice of buttered toast, a generous heap of chips, another slice of buttered toast... then that whole mess was dipped in chip batter and fried.  Alas, it was surprisingly "good", but in that "who'd of thunk?" way.

Needless to say, neither of us really made a dent in our respective halves.  But at least we can say we tried one.  ;)  *I did end up ordering a side dish of the Spinach Curry from the Indian side of the menu so that I would have something green and vegetable-like with my dinner.

OH!  And for dessert... A Deep-Fried Bounty Bar!

:)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 05:41:00 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 05:43:29 AM »

...And that Fried Mac & Cheese was quite tasty too!  A nice "snowball" of fried cheese and macaroni.

:)

And to wash it all down, I had a B&D - Burdock & Dandelion.

A veddy, veddy English supper.

*And after dinner, we made ourselves walk around for at least 30 minutes just to help get the artery un-clogging started before hopping back on the subway back into Manhattan.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 05:45:25 AM »

Well, I need to get ready to get ready to head out.  I'm playing auditions from 10-6 today, and then it's off to some Irish pub tonight for a Wedding Reception of sorts for my friend, Nick, and his new bride.  They're just coming back in for the day, and then it's back to Vegas and Hairspray tomorrow morning.  So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 06:04:52 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~   SPEEDY RECOVERY VIBES FOR MR. HARVEY SCHMIDT  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 06:06:44 AM »

I did not much care for THE HAPPY TIME the first time I listened to it, but with subsequent hearings it has grown on me.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »

Last night, DR Rodzinski asked:

"At a library book sale, I saw a cast LP for a Kander-Ebb show Goulet was in called THE HAPPY TIME.

Can anyone tell me if this is any good?"

It's probably my favorite Broadway flop, and the score is superb. Every number is a winner, Goulet was never in better voice, David Wayne steals every song he's in, and it's Mike (later Michael) Rupert's first big chance on Broadway, and he makes the most of it.

I saw the show in 1968 and absolutely fell in love with it. Goulet's "Walking Among My Yesterdays" and "I Don't Remember You" just swept me up with the power and tone of his voice. Among my greatest theater memories.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 07:30:51 AM »

Well, I'm off to the "hoarding house" to work again. If you hear on the national news tonight that a pile of clutter fell on a woman in Arizona, it will be me.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 07:33:02 AM »

DR Jose,  I have to say again that it is so wonderful to hear about your stories of your dream coming true with Lestat etc. How wonderful and exciting for you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cillaliz

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 07:33:34 AM »

Get well vibes to Mr. Harvey Schmidt~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 07:36:45 AM »

Well, I'm working at home today. I brought work home yesterday, but ended up just resting.  I'm feeling much better today, but I decided to stay off my feet for one more day and not push it. So I'm going to do the work I brought home yesterday.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 07:41:16 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003F8W/102-0765134-2070566?v=glance&n=5174

Amazon has some clips of songs you can listen to from THE HAPPY TIME
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up