Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLUB SANDWICH  (Read 21098 times)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
Re:THE CLUB SANDWICH
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2003, 06:05:13 PM »

I was there the first time that revival of Rocky Horror played in front of an audience, and DeLaria was unable to get a single laugh.  She was, merely, gross.  She was much better in On the Town, even with the unlikely sexual chemistry.  (Which was Comden & Green's comic point about wartime New York, a lack of available men makes for strange bedfellows!)
Well, that's a good point, but it didn't come across.  Then again, you saw the Park production and I saw the Gershwin, which I believe you didn't see, right?  Maybe they were a little different.  She wouldn't have been as bad if Chip wasn't so darn...well...gay.  There's nothing wrong with being gay, but there's something wrong with playing gay if you're cast as a straight man.  And the chemistry didn't work, because here you have a big truckin' diesel lesbian trying to get into the pants of a squirty little gay fella who only wants to see the Woolworth Tower, if you get my drift, and....

...you know, the more I type, the more offensive it seems to get.  So I'll just stop.   :D

Then again, Chip sure doesn't seem interested in going up to Hildy's place at all, so maybe he IS gay!  Who knows, sexuality is all so confusing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 06:08:22 PM by Joy »
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2003, 06:05:57 PM »

Danise:  It's interesting how plants have different names wherever you go.  Those "Four O'Clocks," in Italy, are called "fiori di notte" -- flowers of the night.  That's because they open in late afternoon and stay open all night, closing at dawn's first light.  Their perfume is wonderful.

At least I think these are the same -- are the seeds little black pellets that form on the inside of the blooms as they begin to wither?  They drop on the ground and could just as easily be "other" kinds of pellets.

If memory serves, once you've gotten them started, they really take off.  They have a tuberous root system that extends itself and extends itself.  If you were to have clay pipes or something like that anywhere nearby, though, these roots could very well overtake them.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2003, 06:11:01 PM »

The "awards" news from MattH and George is all VERY interesting.

The most interesting thing about it is that Sean Penn and Alec Baldwin seem to be frontrunners for acting awards in this year, the same year in which Bill O'Reilly of Fox "News" has declared both their careers dead in the water and that no one will hire them because they "dared" to be public about their politics and their feelings against the war with Iraq.

Things should get interesting if Golden Globes and Oscar should follow suit.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2003, 06:14:17 PM »

I mean....
 ???
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Danise

« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2003, 06:14:27 PM »

Flowers of the Night.  I like that.  Yes, Ron, they do indeed have the little black pellets as seeds.  

I have them in the front yard in a place that didn't seem to want to grow anything--and your also right that when they take off, they take off!  I have several bushes of just the pink.  Once I get the other colors going, I don't doubt they will spreed through the yard and maybe down the street.  We have a empty field next to us.

What colors do you have, JRand?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 06:18:53 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2003, 06:29:28 PM »

Still here at work.  David is in a meeting - my guess is that he'll BE in that meeting until its too late to go to the movies, in which case I would have been able to leave a half-hour ago.  I'll keep you posted by posting.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2003, 06:31:47 PM »

Dark Chocolate Milky Way--

and did anyone know that Hershey now makes a Dark Chocolate Kiss??

Danise

« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2003, 06:40:03 PM »

Dark Chocolate Milky Way--to die for!  Super Yum!  No, I didn't know about the Dark Chocolate Kiss--I did know about the dark chocolate dove candy.  

Lord, I want some dark chocolate right about now.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2003, 06:40:16 PM »

And I want it NOW!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2003, 06:47:17 PM »

By proxy Mr. T. Dale would like to know your favorite Fonda Family Films

His Henry: Grapes of Wrath, Jane: Spirits of the Dead, Cat Ballou. Peter: The Trip Bridgette: Godfather III
Never stop dreaming.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2003, 06:47:47 PM »

Well, that's a good point, but it didn't come across.  Then again, you saw the Park production and I saw the Gershwin, which I believe you didn't see, right?  Maybe they were a little different.  She wouldn't have been as bad if Chip wasn't so darn...well...gay.  There's nothing wrong with being gay, but there's something wrong with playing gay if you're cast as a straight man.  And the chemistry didn't work, because here you have a big truckin' diesel lesbian trying to get into the pants of a squirty little gay fella who only wants to see the Woolworth Tower, if you get my drift, and....

...you know, the more I type, the more offensive it seems to get.  So I'll just stop.   :D

Then again, Chip sure doesn't seem interested in going up to Hildy's place at all, so maybe he IS gay!  Who knows, sexuality is all so confusing.
 "Big truckin' diesel lesbian!!"  Oh man, Joy....I just HAD to karmalize you!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 06:48:36 PM by Maya »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2003, 07:18:37 PM »

Hi there, fellow DR's...

Re: American Idols who cannot sing: Kelly Clarkson has just murdered "O Holy Night" at the Christmas tree lighting in Rockerfeller Center. I was yelling corrections at her from my family room couch. WHY MUST YOU RIFF EVERY NOTE YOU SING? AGH!

My father has just walked in the door from a late night Home Depot run. He went to get a lighbulb, and came back with -you guessed it- one of the ugly blow-up 10' snowmen. He's in heaven. Errrr.

We usually do the tree with the million ornaments that 4 kids have collected over the last 18 years, a few inside decorations, and tiny white lights in the front hedges. Nothing too show-y.

My favorite candy is Gummy Bears, closely followed by candy corn, and then Almond Joy's. What I DON'T like are Snickers, Payday, Mr. Goodbar, or anything else that showcases peanuts. They bother me in candy bars, and I don't know why...

BK: Have you ever performed in a Shakespearian production?

I want to go to Iceland again. Who wants to come with meeeeeeee? :)

They put the school in lockdown today and had the drug dogs come in to search for...drugs! They stopped at my locker and said there was marijuana in it. It was ACTUALLY in the locker next to mine, but you KNOW they made a HUGE deal about it, called me to the office, and sat me down in that chair that I can't seem to get rid of. Once there, I was interrogated for about 15 minutes, until an officer came in, apologized profusely, and said I could leave. Did the SECURITY OFFICER apologize? Of course not. And what did he say as I was leaving? "Turning out to be like her brother."

I was a little peeved.

Charles: Tell your wife that we are all rooting for her!

Jed: Every one of your posts today made me smile :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2003, 07:30:00 PM »

Wow Swishy sorry about that.  I hate it when people in positions of authority do things like that. The officer should never have said that.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2003, 07:56:11 PM »

Just popped into say hello.  Looks like I have to make that trip to L.A. after all.  

Today was an extremely busy day involving 2 ½ hours of driving time and I hate to drive anywhere that takes more than half an hour.  I’m going to relax now and watch a movie or some T.V.

Good night

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2003, 08:03:59 PM »

Sarah, what an awful experience!  My, how high school has changed since I was there!

But, the bright spot is that now you are the owner of your VERY OWN TACKY INFLATABLE SNOWMAN! I hope you can see the humor in that! We want a picture! Remember, tacky decorations should be shared so that everyone can laugh at them.

Favorite candy: Those single-serving 0ne-pound bags of M&Ms.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 08:12:16 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2003, 08:25:39 PM »

Now, I haven't seen SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE, nor am I likely to until it comes to HBO/Showtime, but we can't be absolutely sure they're going to use that famous song behind the titles. Or have you seen it, bk?

I mean, Fosse didn't use "All That Jazz" when he helmed a picture by the same name.

And, Jennifer, "Something's Gotta Give" was introduced by Fred Astaire in the 1955 musical DADDY LONG LEGS. It was also going to be the title of Marilyn Monroe's last movie before she died in the midst of making it. Well, she was fired and then rehired and died before shooting resumed. It's a LONG story.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2003, 08:54:35 PM »

Good evening DRs  --  I feel that it is time for a piece of absolutely useless trivia, as can only be found here at times on HHW.

One of the candy bars mentioned today has been the "Mars Bar" .  It is a kind of nougat/soft base, which has some almond pieces sitting on top of the nougat, and then is covered in chocolate (milk, I think).

Well, the almond pieces are unusual, in that they are cut across the almond, not lengthwise.  The Mars company was very specific about this and shopped around to find a supplier that could meet this request.  They now buy all of the cross-cut almonds in all of the Mars bars in the country from a very close friend of mine and DR Kerry's.  A wonderful, warm Italian man who lives with his family in the northwest suburbs of the Chicago area.  His nut processing company is the 2nd largest processor in the world.

There, isn't that enlightening?  Isn't that just too, too?

8)

MusicGuy

« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2003, 08:57:37 PM »

Even though the main talk has been of candy, DR Kerry just had a hot caramel sundae (on Hagen-Dazs vanilla), and I was forced to eat a Dove bar.......

We are very bad.....mea culpa...oy !   :-\

MusicGuy

« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2003, 08:59:24 PM »

And so, with those musings, it is off to become supine on my sleep number of 45.  Yea, those silly sleep number beds are really more fabulous than the advertising!!

nighty night all........

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2003, 08:59:29 PM »

Fascinating information MusicGuy.
In return I shall share the news that I am spending New Year's Eve with Mr Paul "Strictly Ballroom" Mecurio.
Unfortunately we will not have much of a chance to be alone. It is the opening night of "The Full Monty" where he expected to display his talent for all to share.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2003, 09:08:10 PM »

td: Favourite Fondas - Jane- "They Shoot Horses Don't They"; Henry - "The Grapes of Wrath"; Peter - "Easy Rider".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2003, 09:13:10 PM »

Christmas Decorations:  I like Christmas decorations, and decorate when I can.  Unfortunately, I'm usually working during the Christmas season, and the time to decorate - and, more importantly the time to enjoy the decorations - gets scarce.  I have a couple of decorations - and my ex has some of my decorations.  When were together we did decorate our apartment.  He found two, small, very nice looking artificial trees, and we set those up in our apartment and decorated away.  It was very nice.  Unfortunately, one year we started taking down our decorations since we were awoken - ??? - by the sound of water running into our apartment from the roof.  There was an ice/snow storm, and it had started to melt...  So, since we were up, and since we wanted to make sure most of the heavy drainage was over, we stayed up and started packing up the decorations.  Oh, and we watched Singing In The Rain while we de-Christmas-ed.

And as synchronicity would have it, my mom started decorating the house tonight.  She has always enjoyed Christmas decorations and decorating.  Some years, she does a "theme tree".  One year she did the whole tree in cross-stitch ornaments - she started working on them in January.  Another year, she got all these angels in different sizes made from palm fronds in the Philipines (that doesn't look like it's spelled right, and Phillipines, and Phillippines doesn't either - ???).  And I even did a whole tree of origami ornaments once.  I guess I'll find out this weekend what the them - if any - will be this year.

Since I'm in the land Camelot this Christmas season, I won't be decorating myself.  However, I did buy some ornaments last week, and I may just put some things in my window.  *However, the pit for Camelot will be decorated!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2003, 09:13:37 PM »

Mars Bars are so sweet to my taste buds that I could get sick after eating a dozen or so of them at one sitting.   :)

Favorite Fondas: Jane - KLUTE; Henry - THE OX-BOW INCIDENT. Peter - no preference since I don't find him all that talented. Maybe I haven't seen him in enough films. ULLE'S GOLD, I guess.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2003, 09:22:05 PM »

Will we see photos of Jose decorating himself in previous years. Intriguing idea.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2003, 09:27:47 PM »

Candy:  Yes, I did try Violet Crumble while I was in OZ - LOVE IT!  As well as it's close relative Crunchy.  -They're both chocolate covered "honeycomb" candy bars - like "sponge candy" here in the states.  I also tried Turkish (chocolate covered turkish delight), Fredo Froggies (milk, white, caramel and strawberry), Tim Tams (actually a "biscuit", but sooo good!), Rocklea Road (an OZ version of Rocky Road - had coconut in it), Snow Caramels (caramels decorated with milk and white chocolate), Chocolate Rocks (from The Chocolate Box - candy coated chocolates that look like rocks - can be found stateside too), Flake (both in milk and dark - a flaky chocolate bar), and a bunch of others...  And, as I think I mentioned before, the chocolate shop near me in Richmond does carry some of the English and Australian Cadbury products  ;D.  -And I found Violet Crumble bars in the candy bar aisle at the 7-11s in LA when I was out there in September.

As for Reese's - The variations have been good.  My favorite so far has been the Dark Chocolate Reese's.  The White Chocolate ones were good, but way too sweet for me (to have on a regular basis).  The Inside Out ones are good, and they just rolled out the Honey Roasted ones - pretty decent - I like the caramel "note" the honey and roasting adds to the peanut butter.

Peanut Butter M&Ms - Hmmm.. I don't think I've seen them in Virginia.  I'll have to look closer next time.  However, I guess they did stop making the Crispy ones.

As for a daily favorite: a tie between Almond Joys and Mars Bars... And didn't they test market a Mars Bar Dark - with Dark Chocolate - ???  Maybe they did, maybe they didn't - possibly just wishful thinking.  And are the Milky Way Almond bars still out?  They made me laugh since it made the Milky Way (peanut) into a Mars Bar, so, I kept thinking, "And your point is??..."

Oh, and I also like Almond M&Ms... I guess anything with almonds and chocolate... and maybe even some caramel...

And can you believe I've never had one single cavity my whole life?!?!?  Really, I haven't.  Even our family dentist growing up was surprised since my three younger brothers all had a cavity or two at one point in their childhood.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2003, 09:32:16 PM »

DR Charles Pogue - My best to Julieanne.  Unfortunately, I, myself, have arrived at a "situation" shortly after it has happened one too many times in my life.  It's just good to know that you're there to hold her hand, hug her, and lend a shoulder and an ear.  To quote Jerry Herman, "Time heals everything...."
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2003, 09:38:46 PM »

I've been cookie-ing again.  First, I made a batch of Toll House, this time without nuts but with maybe a teaspoon of cinnamon added to the batter.  Good idea, but too much; I wanted to give this suggestion, something in the background to add interest without drawing attention to itself (like a good movie score).  Next time I'll try a little less.

But the basic Toll House batter is a good one, so I made another batch, going for a spice cookie spin.  No chips ( :o) but I added some ginger, cinnamon, cloves, molasses, and (another :o) some cayenne.  Der Brucer agreed that there needs to be something else; he suggested some allspice.

The house smells wonderful!  

Tomorrow I have to find a rolling pin, because der Brucer found a whole batch of cookie cutters and I must make rolled cookies!  (He's also found a cookie press, for spritz cookies, but I'm refusing to go there for the time being.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2003, 09:38:51 PM »

Oh, and thanks to the DR who reminded me of "The Making of a Male Model" - Jon-Erik Hexum was the raison d'etre for that TV movie.  And, yes, Jeff Conaway - not Conway - was in that one.

The first time I did Assassins, we were reminded of his death when the actors started working with the "prop" guns - which were real guns with blanks in them.  And, yes, even blanks can cause damage and injury - as well as death.  Unfortunately, the second week into rehearsal, there was that actor - can't remember the name right now - who was working on the movie The Crow - I think - who died due to a firearms accident on the set.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2003, 09:41:39 PM »

DR Tom from OZ - Hmm... Decorate myself.... Well, we were planning on having a theme day/night in the pit of Camelot... You may have just given me an idea!  -Last year we had a pajama day - that was so much fun!  And I have pics too!  I'll see if I can find them.

And now back to reading all the posts from today - I stopped after Page 4 just to make sure I had some "fresh topic" in my head while responding.  Back in a few...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2003, 10:17:12 PM »

DR JosePiano:  P-h-i-l-i-p-p-i-n-e-s  -- one "l" and double "p"!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up